Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Space Simulator  Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Space Simulator  Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Space Simulator  Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Space Simulator  Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Space Simulator  Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Space Simulator  Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Space Simulator  Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Space Simulator  Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Space Simulator  Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Space Simulator  Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Space Simulator  Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Space Simulator  Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Space Simulator  Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Space Simulator  Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Space Simulator  Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Space Simulator  Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Space Simulator  Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Space Simulator  Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Space Simulator  Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Space Simulator  Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Space Simulator

Go down 
+6
Victuz
The Uteen
NikolaAnicic007
Silver Sterling
Daniferrito
GmansWatching
10 posters
AuthorMessage
GmansWatching
Newcomer
GmansWatching

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 3:20 am

Okay, so I know we're far from space. But I had found a space simulator where you can manipulate the universe with stuff and... just check it out yourselves.

http://universesandbox.com/

EDIT: This piece of Belgium costs money. You can watch it be in use on that video on the website or watch a dude play it here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7j75lThw-M
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 3:46 am

Basically the same as the simulator i posted on the demo subforum but with a much nicer interface.

When we get to that stage, that kind of simulation is easy to do.

P.D: By much nicer interface, i mean it has one. Mine isen't even interactive.
Back to top Go down
Silver Sterling
Newcomer
Silver Sterling

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 8:36 pm

I even have this simulator on steam. Always funny to play a bit around with. But haven't used him since longer now.
Back to top Go down
NikolaAnicic007
Newcomer

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: RE:Space Simulation   Space Simulator  EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 10:32 am

I have a question....

Will there be any space storms (think solar storm) and will gravity be able to change the course of your spaceship (that im so happy will have a interior) (for more check my topic (I have only one ))
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 11:18 am

NikolaAnicic007 wrote:
I have a question....

Will there be any space storms (think solar storm) and will gravity be able to change the course of your spaceship (that im so happy will have a interior) (for more check my topic (I have only one ))

The first would be classified as a random natural disaster, so it shouldn't be difficult to implement (we just need the effects and a probability of it occurring in a certain period of time).
Gravity might be a bit more difficult: since we can't simulate a whole galaxy of objects, and we are only keeping track of events occurring near the player anyway, we would probably have to find a way to make it appear as if we were simulating the galaxy, while only simulating a couple of nearby objects, which might be tricky (e.g. binary stars + astronomy = fake it?). And that's not even considering gravity's effects on the ship's interior and occupants. On the other hand, if we include realistic gravity from the start, and build the galaxy around the system, we might find a way - I think it's just one of those things that we will have to worry about when we get to it.
Back to top Go down
Victuz

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 7:32 am

Implementing realistic gravity might be not just hard but also extremely system intensive. I think a way to have gravity implemented might be a sphere of influence system (Kerbal Space Program way if I'm not mistaken).

It could be adjusted for the effect of massive bodies on smaller ones. In my head it seems reasonable to thing that bodies of a certain size could be added to a specific group of SOI power, say:
SOI 0 - Asteroids, planetoids other tiny bodies with some gravitational influence. Think Deimos where you can quite literally run and jump into escape velocity.

SOI 1 - bigger moons but objects that are not orbited by anything other than objects from SOI 0. For convenience I'd assume that SOI 1 object can't be orbiting another SOI 1 object (same goes for higher scales)

SOI 2 - Planets having an influence on SOI 1/0.

SOI 3 - Gas giants and Super Jovians influencing SOI 2 and possibly free floating objects of all the other SOI's

SOI 4 - Stars. Having a general influence on SOI 2-3 and free floating objects of other SOI's

Now SOI 5 would be black holes and SOI 6 would be the "super massive object" holding a galaxy together. Issue is I don't know if that would require implementation or if SOI 4 objects would just be automatically placed on rails (since you can't really strap mass drivers to a star).

The issue here is that I think it might be better for object of a higher sphere of influence to only affect objects of a sphere that's -1 lower than itself. This way we could avoid inserting the three body problem into the game mechanics, that would force us to use Lagrange points.
Back to top Go down
Silver Sterling
Newcomer
Silver Sterling

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 7:52 am

I play Kerbal Space Programm aswell and it works with some kind of semi realistic orbits. (More semi as realistic).

So you only have orbit rings and ellipsis. If the influance area of another planet, moon becomes higher as the one you where, you switch to an orbit around this objekt. Otherwise it only alters your orbit. So flying there is more like orbit jumping.

Because of this, you can't have a real escape or approach spiral. Ok, for KSP its good how it is, otherwise you would have many problems to get a real orbit without autopilot. ^^

Donno how manuel the ship movement would be in Thrive. But until the project is there, it will still take some time.
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 8:49 am

Finally more KSP players! I sincerely hope that space stage is similar to Kerbal Space Program if and when it comes out.

I like your idea Victuz, but it feels a little one-size-fits-all and I understand that in a procedurally generated universe we can't define every star's and planet's individual mass, but perhaps there could be a way to make an SOI system more tiered, like perhaps each star system could have a multiplier to it:

So if the average SOI 2 planet could have a gravity of 9.8m/s, in a certain star system with a multiplier of .4x, an SOI planet would have a gravity of 13.72m/s.

Great concept though. I'm excited to see how this pans out.
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 9:30 am

Simulating gravity is not hard. At all. Code-wise, it is about 50 lines of code, once you have the data structure done.

It is not too procesor intensive either, as long as you dont go crazy on the amount of objects to simulate. About 20 objects are fine without any kind of optimization. With optimization, you can go over that by a lot (for example, if two objects barely affect each other, like pluto and the moon, dont calculate their interaction)

So i dont think such clasification is needed.
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 10:07 am

Good points, Daniferrito. The only problem we have to work out is how many celestial bodies to track at once and if we will even consider figuring out nBody physics when it comes to figuring out orbits

Space stage is still a long way out though.
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
NikolaAnicic007
Newcomer

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: :D   Space Simulator  EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:23 pm

K.S.P Lovers... Yay
Back to top Go down
rainwaffles
Newcomer
rainwaffles

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 11:31 pm

I'm not sure if this has been figured out, but how would spaceships travel? Even traveling at the speed of light (currently impossible) it would take 4.24 years to reach the nearest star other than Sol/Helios/Whatever, our sun. Is time going to be sped up, or will there be a new discovery that will make star travel faster, or both?

Sorry if someone has already answered this somewhere.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 11:36 pm

Faster than light travel.
Back to top Go down
rainwaffles
Newcomer
rainwaffles

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 11:38 pm

So, will it still be sped up or is it instantaneous?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  EmptyWed May 01, 2013 12:02 am

It will be in real-time.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  EmptyWed May 01, 2013 12:22 am

Now, for space combat, will the battle take place in a small enough area where orders to fleets or ships can be instantly done by the ships or will it still be long range?

I have an idea that in space or even on land combat the battle area for your units is dependent on the maximum range of your weapons. So if in space your ships have long range bombardment they would be able to attack much earlier than enemy ships.
Back to top Go down
rainwaffles
Newcomer
rainwaffles

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  EmptyWed May 01, 2013 12:28 am

Ok, so it would be kind of like Spore, where it would be fast enough that traveling from one star to another would take a few seconds. Got it.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  EmptyWed May 01, 2013 12:32 am

Take into acount that as for most strategy games, speed will be accelerated. Especially on early stages, like unicelular and creature stages, where many millions of years must pass. Early society will also be fastened up, in a somewhat similar way of how civilization makes the years pass slower as the player advances.

That will probably stop at somewhat of the current tecnological level of the earth now, maybe at a few months or years per real life minute (maybe, i dont feel like making much calculus right now). So your 4 years will only be like about half an hour in real time.

However, as Nick told you, there will be futuristic means of transportation, namely FTL and teleportation/infinite improbability drive, which makes travels much much faster.

Edit:

PTFace wrote:
Now, for space combat, will the battle take place in a small enough area where orders to fleets or ships can be instantly done by the ships or will it still be long range?

I have an idea that in space or even on land combat the battle area for your units is dependent on the maximum range of your weapons. So if in space your ships have long range bombardment they would be able to attack much earlier than enemy ships.

When a battle takes place, you wont change scenario, it will be done in the exact same map as you are playing. Think more like age of empire/starcraft battles than total war battles
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Space Simulator  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Space Simulator    Space Simulator  Empty

Back to top Go down

Space Simulator
Page 1 of 1