Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!

Go down 
+15
The Uteen
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori
Demongoat
Pezzalis
Tenebrarum
eumesmo
GamerXA
DragonEye4
Noitulove
~sciocont
US_of_Alaska
Invader
Spartanman01
Poisson
YourBreakfast
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 10:49 pm

Yeah, that was basically my idea, thanks YB.
Combining the keyboard and mouse controls is a good idea. Using them both would allow players to navigate and use click-action options at the same time.
Here's a few things for clarification
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Thrive
The blue/yellow line ids the horizon, the center of the screen is straight forward.
The purple/red is up and down, without right or left. Now those are the axis, there are now four quadrants.
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 14065_103_1
Anywhere in QI is turning your creature up and to the right, QIIis up and to the left, QIII is down and to the left, QIV is down and to the right. If you click and hold anywhere, you will begin to accelerate forward. You can drag while clicking to change direction while accelerating. If you release the mouse button, you will continue to cruise at the same speed you left off at. To slow down gradually, you can click once and your creature will be carried forward only by momentum. To stop abruptly, right click.

Now with keyboard as well:

Instead of clicking to accelerate, use w and you will accelerate in the direction of your mouse. You will cruise when you let go of w, stop abruptly when you hit s, let momentum take hold when you press w again.

You can use A&D for right and left as well, plus E&C for up and down, so you are free to click, maintain one speed, and just cruise around while click-examining things around you.

*Note: Clicking on a clickable object will not affect movement.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 10:55 pm

I see this is a red light for my idea.

...I want a lot of attention, don't I?

Anyway, if you want my personal opinion I don't think I'm going to enjoy flying as much as ground navigation anymore.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 10:56 pm

Noitulove wrote:
I see this is a red light for my idea.

...I want a lot of attention, don't I?

Anyway, if you want my personal opinion I don't think I'm going to enjoy flying as much as ground navigation anymore.
Let's talk about it, go on chat.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 7:52 pm

Pretty sure we settled the idea for both flying and swimming in the chatbox, it's built for 3rd person but it might work for 1st. I did change it a bit, though.

Flying:

JUMP to take flight

Once in flight:
W to accelerate

Let go of W to slow down (<- part I changed.)

Click and drag right mouse button to steer

If you can hover (stop abruptly), tap S once to hover, and S again to drop. If not, just tap S once to drop.

Scio also suggested C for a controlled downward descent, meaning you can go down while hovering, like a helicopter. I personally think that it should only be available if you can hover, and are close enough to the ground.

Same for swimming minus the C-descent, just press and hold W to start swimming, let go to stop, mouse to steer, and S to stop abruptly. No need for hovering here, I think. If you start sinking just swim back up.

This is, of couse using the WASD controls. Directional keys can also be used; UP is W, DOWN is S, LEFT is A, and RIGHT is D.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 5:31 am

Sorry if this has already been said or ruled out, but we could just use flight-simulation-type controls:
  • W - Adjust Pitch Down
  • S - Adjust Pitch Up
  • A - Adjust Roll Left
  • D - Adjust Roll Right
  • Q - Adjust Yaw Left
  • E - Adjust Yaw Right

• Space - Jump
  • Space While in Midair - Spread or Tuck in Wings (activate or deactivate flight-control-scheme)

This could also work in high density environments such as water.
Back to top Go down
eumesmo
Regular
eumesmo

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 7:09 am

maybe there could be both ways ingame (though i'd probably use scio's.

yes, that should be good. and a hull pressure variable:
imagine that hull could take untill lets say: 300psi
if it enters a gas giant and keeps going down,the pressure goes up and near the 300psi threshold ship'd start getting problems and'd eventually blow up (maybe 350psi)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:33 pm

GamerXA wrote:
Sorry if this has already been said or ruled out, but we could just use flight-simulation-type controls:
  • W - Adjust Pitch Down
  • S - Adjust Pitch Up
  • A - Adjust Roll Left
  • D - Adjust Roll Right
  • Q - Adjust Yaw Left
  • E - Adjust Yaw Right

• Space - Jump
  • Space While in Midair - Spread or Tuck in Wings (activate or deactivate flight-control-scheme)

This could also work in high density environments such as water.
I've looked at those, and the thing is that players will probably find them very difficult to understand. However, with the method me and Noit worked out, pitch yaw and roll will be automatically adjusted to work for the flight path you are choosing.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Wait, difficult to understand, it's just like most games are.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 12:41 pm

GamerXA wrote:
yeah, most flight simulators. However, our players are not going to all be people who have played flight simulators, or people who like flight simulators. Noit and I have broken down flight/swimming/3d motion into a simple system, that shouldn't take too long to pick up.
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 6:16 pm

~sciocont wrote:
GamerXA wrote:
yeah, most flight simulators. However, our players are not going to all be people who have played flight simulators, or people who like flight simulators. Noit and I have broken down flight/swimming/3d motion into a simple system, that shouldn't take too long to pick up.

I don't think you've posted it yet..... Could you? Just to finalize if you and Noit of added anything different to it.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 1:11 am

YourBreakfast wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
GamerXA wrote:

I don't think you've posted it yet..... Could you? Just to finalize if you and Noit of added anything different to it.

Pretty sure it was on page 2.
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 5:44 pm

Noitulove wrote:
YourBreakfast wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
GamerXA wrote:

Pretty sure it was on page 2.

So that's the final version then yeah? I'll edit the OP then.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 6:59 pm

Suggestion

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Here's how most games I've played do it, and it seems to work quite well as is:

Mouse rotates the camera. Note that this DOES NOT mean the creature, although I'm under the impression that we will attempt to have it move the sensory hub if posssible, but revert to looking forward if the camera is facing beyond the point the hub can turn.

W moves you forward, in whichever direction the camera is facing. A, S, and D follow suit in the typical WASD configuration.

SHIFT is held down to sprint, usually this is limited. Perhaps we can use a similar proccess to that of procedural walking to find a faster, if more energy-inefficient gait.

CTRL is held or toggled for crouching. Once we figure out how to handle stealth, than we could use a similar proccess to that of procedural walking to find a gait that minimizes visibility to predators.

SPACE is pressed to jump. I was actually quite fond of Spore's way of using the space bar to flap wings. Perhaps holding it down could make you continue to flap.

LEFT CLICK is pressed to perform the most common action in the game. Usually this means to attack or to shoot. In our case, I suggest one of two things: Either the player defines combat animations and binds them to keys, or default melee will use a hub system similar to the sensory hub. Define the end of an apendage as the melee hub, and hold LEFTCLICK to move it with the mouse. This would allow players to make on-their-feet decisions in combat. This has been done before and has a downside though.
Yahtzee Croshaw wrote:
It's alright but it always feels weirdly like you're controlling someone with two dislocated elbows.
Perhaps we could include both systems.

RIGHT CLICK is used for any number of things, including most commonly a fine aim/ironsights type thing. I'm not sure what we could do, but I think this would make a good grab button, seeing as how easily reached it is. Should we make it closest object though, or what the reticle is pointing at?

E is usually a "interact" key, and I think it easiest to use this to bring up the communication menu.

All other keys can be bound as we go along. Anyone have any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Rex, we need the mouse free for interaction. We've had the concept of click-interaction since forever. It's the only way to accommodate for all the things the player can get the organism to do.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 8:47 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Suggestion

I'm liking this method. But the whole sensory-hub movement and the mouse stopping at a certain point, that's for land only, right?

Also the player should be able to customize these keys to their liking. Say, for example, a player wanted to use the Z key to jump instead of the SPACE key then pressing Z would function about the same as the SPACE key would. They might access this via Options menu.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 8:54 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Rex, we need the mouse free for interaction. We've had the concept of click-interaction since forever. It's the only way to accommodate for all the things the player can get the organism to do.
As you wish. This was a very rough system, and two buttons out of all of them is hardly painful. I merely wanted to point out that this basic system has been used over and over, and I see no reason to change it. Change must only ever come from nessecity, and from the sounds of it, that's why mouse interaction are to be here. Still, mouse = camera? Is that fine?

Noitulove wrote:
I'm liking this method. But the whole sensory-hub movement and the mouse stopping at a certain point, that's for land only, right?
Why would it be for only land? It'd be more awkward in water, but hardly problematic. Thats likely a reason so many aquatic organisms evolve to have a wide feild of vision.

Noitulove wrote:
Also the player should be able to customize these keys to their liking. Say, for example, a player wanted to use the Z key to jump instead of the SPACE key then pressing Z would function about the same as the SPACE key would. They might access this via Options menu.

Of course! Goes without saying!
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 10:17 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
As you wish. This was a very rough system, and two buttons out of all of them is hardly painful. I merely wanted to point out that this basic system has been used over and over, and I see no reason to change it. Change must only ever come from nessecity, and from the sounds of it, that's why mouse interaction are to be here. Still, mouse = camera? Is that fine?
Yup. The view following mouse movement would definitely help.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 10:22 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:

Yay! ^^

Question: Does my click-drag combat idea sound any good, or am I over complicating things?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 2:04 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:

Yay! ^^

Question: Does my click-drag combat idea sound any good, or am I over complicating things?
I think it may prove difficult with the variety of anatomies that we will be dealing with.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 3:58 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
I think it may prove difficult with the variety of anatomies that we will be dealing with.

Exactly why I suggested the "Melee hubs," which need be player defined.
Back to top Go down
YourBreakfast
Learner
YourBreakfast

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 6:45 pm

Well I think everything's in order.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 2:48 am

YourBreakfast wrote:
Well I think everything's in order.
i think you should get it all onto the wiki, then. It is originally and foremost your brainchild.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 12:12 pm

Suggestions:

Vehicle Controls (When on a 2d plain, like land or on top of water):

W moves the vehicle foreward, and S backwards, regardless of the direction the mouse is facing. A and D are used to turn. Holding down W will cause the vehicle to gradually increase in speed until it hits maximum.

Riding Animal Controls (When on a 2d plain, like land or on top of water):

Same as the above, except you will always move at the same speed, and do not gradually get faster. Instead, pressing SHIFT will make you kick the animal (Or something similer) and the animal will go into a sprint.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 9:30 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Suggestions:

Vehicle Controls (When on a 2d plain, like land or on top of water):

W moves the vehicle foreward, and S backwards, regardless of the direction the mouse is facing. A and D are used to turn. Holding down W will cause the vehicle to gradually increase in speed until it hits maximum.

Riding Animal Controls (When on a 2d plain, like land or on top of water):

Same as the above, except you will always move at the same speed, and do not gradually get faster. Instead, pressing SHIFT will make you kick the animal (Or something similer) and the animal will go into a sprint.

Any thoughts?
Well, i believe animals still have to accelerate and decelerate, Rex. So there would be a speed up to the maximum like vehicles have.
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 12:52 am

May have missed it, forgive me if thats the case, but what about when you are a early multicellular organism? (Say, 20-100 cells[ish])

Will it just be the same as cellular in two dimensions, or will you be able to move certain cells in certain directions...?

If it hasn't been covered, here is a neat cellular game I found with a very cool, unique control scheme which could be conceptualized into something cooler:
Gen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next