Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!

Go down 
+15
The Uteen
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori
Demongoat
Pezzalis
Tenebrarum
eumesmo
GamerXA
DragonEye4
Noitulove
~sciocont
US_of_Alaska
Invader
Spartanman01
Poisson
YourBreakfast
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Demongoat
Newcomer
Demongoat

My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Hotkeys!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 8:17 pm

Hey guys,

After a brief look around the forum, I noticed that there didn't seem to be any hotkey suggestions!
I looked at the GUI and thought that an extra circle to be devoted to hotkeys. Ever played Fallout 3/New Vegas/Oblivion? A system like that, where you can click on an ability/action and press a number to link to that action.

This would be especially useful for scenarios like being chased by a groobly, sprinting into a rocky outcrop and pressing '2' to quickly pick up the closest rock. You'd then quickly click on the hostile creature, pelting it with the rock. Without hotkeys, you would have had to identify a rock you could pick up, click on it and select the right action, thus spending valuable time.

The circle would have small icons in orbit/arcing around the circle with numbers corresponding to the hotkey. The circle could even fade in or out, depending on the current situation.

These could also be used in civilisation, space etc. as unit group keys, research keys etc.

Anyway, I just thought that would be a helpful little feature. Go ahead and point out the fault in my logic, now!
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 8:45 pm

Pezzalis wrote:
May have missed it, forgive me if thats the case, but what about when you are a early multicellular organism? (Say, 20-100 cells[ish])

Will it just be the same as cellular in two dimensions, or will you be able to move certain cells in certain directions...?

If it hasn't been covered, here is a neat cellular game I found with a very cool, unique control scheme which could be conceptualized into something cooler:
Gen
Cool game. I don't really see where we'd use it, though.
Back to top Go down
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori
Newcomer
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori

Location : Whatsitcalled... the Ori planet... yeah... that one...

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 am

I think in strategy mode you should be able to move the camera by pushing the cursor to the edges of the screen? Like in most RTS's. Also to rotate the camera left/right, I think we should do some variation of what the Total War games did, you move the cursor to the left side of the screen to rotate left, and right sde of the screen to go right, the total war camera controlls were some of the best, most efficient camera controls I've seen.

I've played a few strategy games where you had to pan to move the camera, and it was very annoying and made the game seem quite generic and unpolished, even though it was actually quite a decent game.

I'm thinking the scroll-click/right click camera rotations are probly the best, and will we have a zoom-in control?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 10:55 am

I agree, side scrolling is a good idea for RTS mode. I believe we'll handle rotation by a middle mouse click and hold.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 1:02 pm

~sciocont wrote:
I agree, side scrolling is a good idea for RTS mode. I believe we'll handle rotation by a middle mouse click and hold.

Not everyone has a middle mouse button/clickable scroll wheel. I have the magic mouse, that does scrolling and left & right click, but no middle button... If this kind of mouse becomes popular, then what?
Back to top Go down
Xenopologist
Learner

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 1:44 pm

The Uteen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Not everyone has a middle mouse button/clickable scroll wheel. I have the magic mouse, that does scrolling and left & right click, but no middle button... If this kind of mouse becomes popular, then what?

A keypress combined with a left mouse click, like the sort of thing that should have been implemented in Spore for the Magic Mouse users.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 3:37 pm

The Uteen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

If that mouse becomes popular, I'll probably shoot myself, that's what.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Okay, so, I think that the title of this thread is very misleading. We're not done with controls. At least, I'm not.

Controls really define a game. They show what is and is not allowed. We need them to be just about perfect. Right now we seem to be flippping back and forth between what is "unique" and what is "simple."
Back to top Go down
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori
Newcomer
Hallowed_Are_The_Ori

Location : Whatsitcalled... the Ori planet... yeah... that one...

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 11:04 pm

We could hold and drag the right mouse button instead for rotating?

EDIT: Of course we should also allow the players to customise the controls themselves as well.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 11:42 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
Okay, so, I think that the title of this thread is very misleading. We're not done with controls. At least, I'm not.

We had all the controls laid out at the start of this thread, in the OP, we've just been reversing throughout this whole thread. By the end, we'll probably have no clue as to how to do the controls.

And we should have the option for custom controls. Custom controls including trackpad/magic mouse gestures, hopefully. Maybe if you have a camera, it could have customisable motions. Don't laugh, it might happen. Probably not though, so now continue laughing.

~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

I take it you have a PC then... (I shall not use a smilie, my emotions in that sentence are purely abstract)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 2:44 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:

We had all the controls laid out at the start of this thread, in the OP, we've just been reversing throughout this whole thread. By the end, we'll probably have no clue as to how to do the controls.

And we should have the option for custom controls. Custom controls including trackpad/magic mouse gestures, hopefully. Maybe if you have a camera, it could have customisable motions. Don't laugh, it might happen. Probably not though, so now continue laughing.

~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

I take it you have a PC then... (I shall not use a smilie, my emotions in that sentence are purely abstract)
I think that controlling a computer (or anything else) without tactile feedback is a stupid idea. But we digress.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 8:57 pm

So what's the final decison?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 3:53 pm

It can be reached through this thread.
Back to top Go down
Deathbite42
Regular

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 5:27 pm

"Can be", as in not yet reached? You seem to be swimming to and from random ideas of how it will work, rather like an ETO.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 5:38 pm

It's all here, just not in one single post.
Back to top Go down
Mocha2007

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 12:49 pm

This looks good, except the rotating of the camera. Could we use right-click to rotate?
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 3:23 pm

Please do not necropost. Look at the date of the last post. Topic that have been inactive for a year or more should be left alone unless you have a very constructive post.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!   My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

My control scheme idea. All modes done! Everything finalised!
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3