Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 Senses integration.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Senses integration.   Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:58 pm

I'm recollecting all of the various senses and render methods to go along with them. Post senses we've confirmed and their render methods here using this format:

Sense (what it does)
organ (organ placed to create sense)
render method (how the sense is represented in the game)
levels (i.e sight: b&w vision, limited color vision, color, beyond human range of color)

Current list

Sense: Electromagnetic (Sight)
Organ: Optical Organs
Render Method: Visual
Levels: Certain Ranges of EM with differentiation and magnitude detection.

Sense: Audition (Hearing)
Organ: Auditory Organs
Render Method: Audio
Levels: Hertz and Decibel detection.

Sense: Gustation (Taste)
Organ: Gustatory
Render Method: Text, possibly starting with "Tastes..."
Levels: Accuracy and Magnitude

Sense: Olfaction (Smell)
Organ: Olfactory
Render Method: Gaseous Renderings
Levels: Accuracy and Magnitude

Sense: Tactition (Touch)
Organ: Nerves
Render Method: Text again, possibly starting with "Feels..."
Levels: Magnitude and Location

Sense: Thermoception (Heat)
Organ: Nerves
Render Method: Text (magical tool, ain't it?) stating "Hot", "Cold", "TOO HOT!", ect.
Levels: Magnitude, Location and Temperature

Sense: Nociception (Pain)
Organ: Nerves
Render Method: Flashing screen
Levels: Magnitude and Location

Sense: Magnetoception (Magnetic Fields)
Organ: Ferrorus metal concentrations in body
Render Method: Compass?
Levels: Sensitivity

Sense: Echolocation
Organ: Auditory, and vocal organs
Render method: Visual
Levels: Louder vocalizations, and sensitivity

Render Methods:
These are possible effects that we can use or combine as render methods.
Spoiler:
 

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]


Last edited by ~sciocont on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GamerXA
Regular


Posts : 285
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 28
Location : Australia, Queensland

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:35 am

Sense: Electromagnetic (Sight)
Organ: Optical Organs
Render Method: Visual
Levels: Certain Ranges of EM with differentiation and magnitude detection.

Sense: Audition (Hearing)
Organ: Auditory Organs
Render Method: Audio
Levels: Hertz and Decibel detection.

Sense: Gustation (Taste)
Organ: Gustatory
Render Method: ???
Levels: Accuracy and Magnitude

Sense: Olfaction (Smell)
Organ: Olfactory
Render Method: Gaseous Renderings
Levels: Accuracy and Magnitude

Sense: Tactition (Touch)
Organ: Nerves
Render Method: ???
Levels: Magnitude and Location

Sense: Thermoception (Heat)
Organ: Nerves
Render Method: ???
Levels: Magnitude, Location and Temperature

Sense: Nociception (Pain)
Organ: Nerves
Render Method: ???
Levels: Magnitude and Location

Sense: Magnetoception (Magnetic Fields)
Organ: ???
Render Method: Compass?
Levels: Sensitivity
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lukas99
Newcomer


Posts : 41
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 21
Location : Error 404 location not found.

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:00 am

@GamerXA Under render methods I saw that you had alot of ????, most of those I think could be rendered by a comfortability tab. It would tell you if it was to hot or cold for your creature, or where your creature hurts. This could aslo have effects on how well your creature preforms. An overheating wouded creature dosen't run as fast as a healthy comfortable creature. But then again we don't want to make this game to realistic, otherwise it will get too complicated and not be as fun.

Sense: Echolocation
Organ: Auditory, and vocal organs
Render method: Visual
Levels: Louder vocalizations, and sensitivity


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Poisson
Regular


Posts : 322
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 21
Location : AK (GMT -9)

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:18 am

GamerXA wrote:
Sense: Electromagnetic (Sight)
Organ: Optical Organs
Render Method: Visual
Levels: Certain Ranges of EM with differentiation and magnitude detection.

Sense: Audition (Hearing)
Organ: Auditory Organs
Render Method: Audio
Levels: Hertz and Decibel detection.

Sense: Gustation (Taste)
Organ: Gustatory
Render Method: Text, possibly starting with "Tastes..."
Levels: Accuracy and Magnitude

Sense: Olfaction (Smell)
Organ: Olfactory
Render Method: Gaseous Renderings
Levels: Accuracy and Magnitude

Sense: Tactition (Touch)
Organ: Nerves
Render Method: Text again, possibly starting with "Feels..."
Levels: Magnitude and Location

Sense: Thermoception (Heat)
Organ: Nerves
Render Method: Text (magical tool, ain't it?) stating "Hot", "Cold", "TOO HOT!", ect.
Levels: Magnitude, Location and Temperature

Sense: Nociception (Pain)
Organ: Nerves
Render Method: Flashing screen
Levels: Magnitude and Location

Sense: Magnetoception (Magnetic Fields)
Organ: Ferrorus metal concentrations in body
Render Method: Compass?
Levels: Sensitivity
All suggestions are in blue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:54 pm

Added.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:34 pm

There's no doubt in my mind that magnetoception should be shown by a compass on the screen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
2creator
Newcomer


Posts : 69
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-10-14
Location : The interwebs

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:11 am

Sense: Nightvision
Organ: An add-on to your optical organ
Render: During night outlines of creatures can be seen in green
Levels: The higher the level the clearer the outline.

Also what about this sense for underwater creatures...

Some fish like this drum fish "hear" using their air bladders. The bladders detect sound vibrations and relay them to the inner ear via a set of bones in the middle ear called the "Weberian apparatus." Hair cells in the inner ear respond to the vibrations and transmit the sound information to the fish's brain.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Albalrogue
Learner


Posts : 143
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-09-26
Age : 24
Location : France

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:16 am

2creator wrote:
Sense: Nightvision
Organ: An add-on to your optical organ
Render: During night outlines of creatures can be seen in green
Levels: The higher the level the clearer the outline.

Also what about this sense for underwater creatures...

Some fish like this drum fish "hear" using their air bladders. The bladders detect sound vibrations and relay them to the inner ear via a set of bones in the middle ear called the "Weberian apparatus." Hair cells in the inner ear respond to the vibrations and transmit the sound information to the fish's brain.

Or just have a night vision image like cameras have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:08 pm

Albalrogue wrote:
2creator wrote:
Sense: Nightvision
Organ: An add-on to your optical organ
Render: During night outlines of creatures can be seen in green
Levels: The higher the level the clearer the outline.

Also what about this sense for underwater creatures...

Some fish like this drum fish "hear" using their air bladders. The bladders detect sound vibrations and relay them to the inner ear via a set of bones in the middle ear called the "Weberian apparatus." Hair cells in the inner ear respond to the vibrations and transmit the sound information to the fish's brain.

Or just have a night vision image like cameras have.
QFT. Just bump up contrast a ton at night and render with slightly more light.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Albalrogue
Learner


Posts : 143
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-09-26
Age : 24
Location : France

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:58 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Albalrogue wrote:
2creator wrote:
Sense: Nightvision
Organ: An add-on to your optical organ
Render: During night outlines of creatures can be seen in green
Levels: The higher the level the clearer the outline.

Also what about this sense for underwater creatures...

Some fish like this drum fish "hear" using their air bladders. The bladders detect sound vibrations and relay them to the inner ear via a set of bones in the middle ear called the "Weberian apparatus." Hair cells in the inner ear respond to the vibrations and transmit the sound information to the fish's brain.

Or just have a night vision image like cameras have.
QFT. Just bump up contrast a ton at night and render with slightly more light.

Well the contrast should be bumped up a ton at day as well. Since the organisms that will have night vision will be nocturnal or live in dark places such as caves and abysses and will most probably be blinded during day light.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:46 pm

Albalrogue wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Albalrogue wrote:
2creator wrote:
Sense: Nightvision
Organ: An add-on to your optical organ
Render: During night outlines of creatures can be seen in green
Levels: The higher the level the clearer the outline.

Also what about this sense for underwater creatures...

Some fish like this drum fish "hear" using their air bladders. The bladders detect sound vibrations and relay them to the inner ear via a set of bones in the middle ear called the "Weberian apparatus." Hair cells in the inner ear respond to the vibrations and transmit the sound information to the fish's brain.

Or just have a night vision image like cameras have.
QFT. Just bump up contrast a ton at night and render with slightly more light.

Well the contrast should be bumped up a ton at day as well. Since the organisms that will have night vision will be nocturnal or live in dark places such as caves and abysses and will most probably be blinded during day light.
QFT. actually, during the day, i'd just bump up brightness.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkgamma
Learner


Posts : 155
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2010-11-21
Location : Dort, am Klavier

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:00 am

GamerXA wrote:

Sense: Audition (Hearing)
Organ: Auditory Organs
Render Method: Audio and a possible tinting of the screen to point the direction of the sound?
Levels: Hertz and Decibel detection.

So, here's my first time post and suggestion
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:37 am

Darkgamma wrote:
and a possible tinting of the screen to point the direction of the sound?
Might get annoying with too many sounds, but I'll wait to see what other people think...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Noitulove
Regular


Posts : 237
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:50 am

Darkgamma wrote:
GamerXA wrote:

Sense: Audition (Hearing)
Organ: Auditory Organs
Render Method: Audio and a possible tinting of the screen to point the direction of the sound?
Levels: Hertz and Decibel detection.

So, here's my first time post and suggestion

I wonder what the screen will look like at a construction site, or some sort of anything, involving a large crowds of things making noise.. hmm..



Must be hard to keep track of, anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead


Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:26 pm

Creatures like these probably would be confused by too many sounds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Creatures like these probably would be confused by too many sounds.

Good point, maybe this could be used in earlier multicellular?

But that still leaves later on in the game...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkgamma
Learner


Posts : 155
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2010-11-21
Location : Dort, am Klavier

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:36 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
Creatures like these probably would be confused by too many sounds.

Good point, maybe this could be used in earlier multicellular?

But that still leaves later on in the game...

Why not use the minor screen tint in the early multicellular, heh?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:55 am

Darkgamma wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
Creatures like these probably would be confused by too many sounds.

Good point, maybe this could be used in earlier multicellular?

But that still leaves later on in the game...

Why not use the minor screen tint in the early multicellular, heh?

Hmm... Aha!

Better hearing = Smaller sounds make more of a tint, louder sounds stay the same (you don't want to get overwhelmed with tints more easily with better hearing)

Bigger brain = Less tint on louder noises, they overwhelm you less easily.


But maybe all of this is bringing sound into the visuals too much.
Most people do have stereo, that should be enough.
Maybe we include this as an option?
Maybe an option would make it harder to play with louder creatures, so people wouldn't use it...
On the other hand, it makes it easier to hear quieter sounds, so people will.
Overall, this sounds a lot like a thing to help the deaf, but maybe that's just me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fredpie
Newcomer


Posts : 27
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-11-17
Age : 20
Location : The Great British Isles, home of rainy weather and afternoon tea.

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:14 pm

The thing is, in real life your eyesight does not tint when you hear a very loud noise. Surely loud noises should slightly stun your creature and make them try to cover up their ears and a super loud sound cuuld potentially damage your creature's ears and severely stun them.p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:35 pm

fredpie wrote:
The thing is, in real life your eyesight does not tint when you hear a very loud noise. Surely loud noises should slightly stun your creature and make them try to cover up their ears and a super loud sound cuuld potentially damage your creature's ears and severely stun them.p
It could make you feel dizzy, which can make your eyesight go all weird, and you can't see properly because your brain is overwhelmed... And if you heard a loud noise you would close your eyes tightly, and clutch your head, so... I dunno, we don't have to include this, but we should have something for deafening noises.

And remember, a creature with a small brain would get very confused with lots of noises, how else could we simulate that confusion?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
caekdaemon
Newcomer


Posts : 88
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:46 pm

The Uteen wrote:

And remember, a creature with a small brain would get very confused with lots of noises, how else could we simulate that confusion?
Start changing the pitch of the sound in game so it makes less sense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:14 pm

caekdaemon wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

And remember, a creature with a small brain would get very confused with lots of noises, how else could we simulate that confusion?
Start changing the pitch of the sound in game so it makes less sense.
Two problems with that:
1: It doesn't make sense anyway.
2: If a small-brained organism gets confused in a digsite, the pitch the creature hears doesn't change, the creature gets disorientated/confused, and possibly goes into a frenzy if their creature is easily agitated/aggressive.
The player wouldn't have that problem, because they have a big brain and can understand what the reason for all the noises is, so how do we make them get disorientated, confused, or go into a frenzy when their organism would?


Last edited by The Uteen on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fredpie
Newcomer


Posts : 27
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-11-17
Age : 20
Location : The Great British Isles, home of rainy weather and afternoon tea.

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:45 pm

The Uteen wrote:
fredpie wrote:
The thing is, in real life your eyesight does not tint when you hear a very loud noise. Surely loud noises should slightly stun your creature and make them try to cover up their ears and a super loud sound cuuld potentially damage your creature's ears and severely stun them.p
It could make you feel dizzy, which can make your eyesight go all weird, and you can't see properly because your brain is overwhelmed... And if you heard a loud noise you would close your eyes tightly, and clutch your head, so... I dunno, we don't have to include this, but we should have something for deafening noises.

And remember, a creature with a small brain would get very confused with lots of noises, how else could we simulate that confusion?

Simple, wiggle the screen and change the controls around a bit. I remember a game I played ages ago where the controls were flipped when you were under pressure, and it actually confuses you especially if you don't expect it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:09 am

fredpie wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
fredpie wrote:
The thing is, in real life your eyesight does not tint when you hear a very loud noise. Surely loud noises should slightly stun your creature and make them try to cover up their ears and a super loud sound cuuld potentially damage your creature's ears and severely stun them.p
It could make you feel dizzy, which can make your eyesight go all weird, and you can't see properly because your brain is overwhelmed... And if you heard a loud noise you would close your eyes tightly, and clutch your head, so... I dunno, we don't have to include this, but we should have something for deafening noises.

And remember, a creature with a small brain would get very confused with lots of noises, how else could we simulate that confusion?

Simple, wiggle the screen and change the controls around a bit. I remember a game I played ages ago where the controls were flipped when you were under pressure, and it actually confuses you especially if you don't expect it.
That is a good idea. Maybe you automatically move your head towards a sound if it is loud enough (from your creatures POV). With all the sounds happening rapidly, that would do the wiggling affect and give it a good reason, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead


Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:45 pm

Imagine yourself playing as a soldier in Org. mode. In a middle of normal patrol mission, you are suddenly under enemy artillery barrage. The only way to save yourself is to run, yet you can't because the camera is constantly jumping from one explosion to another, making you unable to even see what's going on (and giving you a headache ). I don't think thats realistic or good for gameplay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Senses integration.   Today at 10:03 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Senses integration.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Visual-
Jump to: