Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Build system discussion - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Build system discussion

Go down 
+4
~sciocont
Daniferrito
Nimbal
Seregon
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

Build system discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 2:23 pm

I Have never used CMake before so
All right this is embarrassing what the heck did I do wrong /:

Note that the dialog box did not work either, it didn't give me a choice as to where to set up.So i used the stuff in the temp folder that was created.

CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "MinGW Makefiles". CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set. You probably need to select a different build tool.
CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "MinGW Makefiles". CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set. You probably need to select a different build tool.
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:C:/Users/Deb/Desktop/tbuild/CMakeFiles/2.8.10.2/CMakeCCompiler.cmake
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:C:/Users/Deb/Desktop/tbuild/CMakeFiles/2.8.10.2/CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake
CMake Error: CMAKE_C_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Last edited by untrustedlife on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 2:30 pm

untrustedlife wrote:

All right this is embarrassing what the heck did I do wrong /:

It's embarassing, yes, but for me, not for you. Don't worry, if the setup script didn't run properly (which it probably didn't, if it didn't even ask you for a directory), CMake will probably act all weird and nothing will work.

I'm working on a fix for the problems so far. Stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 2:34 pm

I just want to mention that untrustedlife and I have the exact same error report.

Setup.ps1 worked well for me appart from the robocopy issues I mentionned. Those might however be big issues, I don't know.

And be sure it is not embarassing at all, you've done tremendous work so far and it's nice to see you work the issue as fast as you can. We'll wait until you fix it, no problem.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 5:46 pm

I think I fixed all problems that cropped up so far. Please check out the latest commit and try it out when you have time.
Back to top Go down
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 12:29 am

Setup.ps1 ran perfectly.

I know have a mingw32-d2 and OgreSDK along the original cmake,install and temp in the MinGW folder. Is that OK?
temp still contains 4 folder(7zip, boost, mingw and ogre). Install is empty.

My folder is 2.6gb and last one when it failed was 1.3gb. Can you give me and idea of the download for the process ? 1 Gb ?

Cmake didn't work. I still have the exact same error. Still missing the variables.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 5:13 am

Oops, the setup script still had a problem where it wouldn't copy MinGW correctly. I've pushed an update. You can also just copy the content of mingw32-dw2 to its parent folder, so that you have "bin, lib, include, libexec etc." in the same folder as "OgreSDK, install, temp, etc.".

Also, you might need to delete the build directory before using CMake again. The "delete cache" option in the CMake GUI doesn't delete enough when it concerns the compiler paths.
Back to top Go down
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 1:09 am

I just moved in a new appartment so I don't have internet yet. I'm using my cellphone right now and won't be able to try the new build system before a couple of days.

You didn't answer my last question, how much are we downloading while using setup.ps1 ? Around 1gb ?

Thanks and good job as usual!
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 10:00 am

Nimbal wrote:
Oops, the setup script still had a problem where it wouldn't copy MinGW correctly. I've pushed an update. You can also just copy the content of mingw32-dw2 to its parent folder, so that you have "bin, lib, include, libexec etc." in the same folder as "OgreSDK, install, temp, etc.".

Also, you might need to delete the build directory before using CMake again. The "delete cache" option in the CMake GUI doesn't delete enough when it concerns the compiler paths.

All right, ill do it after i clean my desktop up a bit. (maybe tonight)

edit: Ill do it tomorrow at some point, however once i do have the code and edit (specifically i want to add some functions involving sound (unless they are in there already) and help to work with organelles based on the style in my prototype.) what do i do with it. Do i need a git-hub account?
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 4:13 pm

RodGame wrote:
You didn't answer my last question, how much are we downloading while using setup.ps1 ? Around 1gb ?

Oops, sorry. The script downloads about 200 MB of data, which is inflated to a whopping 2.9 GB for me (that includes the downloads themselves).

If disk space is an issue, you can safely delete the "temp" folder after installation, which will free up about 1.9 GB. I wouldn't exactly recommend it though, because when we add new dependencies, the updated setup script will have to redownload everything.

You could, however, go into each subfolder below "temp" and delete everything but the zip / 7z or exe files you find directly below them.

Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 9:16 am

I keep getting distracted with things.. ill try to do it in the next 2 days, (spring break is over)
Ok, i will definetly do it by Thursday, most likely tomorrow around (18:00 GMT/UTC -6 hours)

Last edited by untrustedlife on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 9:26 am

I will try it whenever i get back home, the only computer i have avaible right now only accepts windows xp. If a few people report it is working fine tell here and i will accept the pull request.
Back to top Go down
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 12:04 am

Nimbal wrote:
RodGame wrote:

Oops, sorry. The script downloads about 200 MB of data, which is inflated to a whopping 2.9 GB for me (that includes the downloads themselves).

If disk space is an issue, you can safely delete the "temp" folder after installation, which will free up about 1.9 GB. I wouldn't exactly recommend it though, because when we add new dependencies, the updated setup script will have to redownload everything.

You could, however, go into each subfolder below "temp" and delete everything but the zip / 7z or exe files you find directly below them.

Thank you.

It's not really a matter of disk size but a matter of bandwith. Don't know about your country, but here in Canada, we get a shitty bandwith limit. I had 15 gb at my parent place and now have 75 gb here. Downloading 3 gb is non-negligeable. 200 MB isn't really a problem but it would be nice to state it in the readme.

---------------------------- --------------------------------- -------------------------------- ---------------------

EDIT : Got around to try it today. I deleted everything that was in C:\MinGW, deleted my whole gitHub repository and recloned it.

It didn't work, here are some information.

First, here is both the cmake LOG(line 1-40) and the setup.ps1 LOG(line 40-65 000). It was too long to put it in spoiler so I uploaded it to dropBox.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/156274557/Thrive%20Build%20-%20Setup.ps1%20LOG.txt

My MinGW has been 1gb for a really long time during installation (while installing boost i think) and is now 2.9 gb after setup.ps1 finished.

setup.ps1

I'm not quite sure how well it worked. Last time I tried it, it took around 30 min and copy didn't failed as much as it did this time(see spoiler below)
It took 2h20 to run on a Quadcore i7 laptop with 8gb of RAM for reference.

I think 1h30 was spent on boost as it seems that it was looping or something.

This pattern repeat very often and I think that some file tried to copy many times.

Spoiler:

Here is the log of the end of boost :

Spoiler:

cmake

It seems like it didnt go quite far. It found things related to OGRE but seems to lack some OIS Library.

Log :
Spoiler:

If you want me to test anything, it shouldn't take long after you post it. I'll also be ready to make a new build test whenever you commit changes.

Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 2:39 pm

I just tried the script, and i get the exact same problem as RodGame, CMake complains about not being able to find OIS.

Edit: If i specify OIS to be in "C:\MinGW\OgreSDK\include\OIS" inside CMake, that step works fine.

Now it says it cannot find boost:
Spoiler:

I have boost set up from a previous instalation, but i've tried to use the version at OgreSDK/boost and said the same.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks for the log, Rod! That helps tremendously.

It seems like the boost install process doesn't work for you, for whatever reason (and that may be the same problem Daniferrito has). I can't reproduce it on my end, though. Could you check the following things, please?

• How many files do you have in "C:\MinGW\temp\boost\boost_1_51_0\boost"?
  • How many files do you have in "C:\MinGW\install\include\boost"?
  • Open "Thrive\mingw_setup\boost\setup.ps1" with some text editor, go to line 73 and delete the " | out-null" at the end of this line. Start the setup process and post another log of the output. You can cancel the process when the boost archives have been unpacked (so you don't have to wait for over two hours).

Back to top Go down
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 3:22 pm

Nimbal wrote:

o How many files do you have in "C:\MinGW\temp\boost\boost_1_51_0\boost"?
There are 209 items in directly in \boost. 87 of them being folders.
boost folder property says that there are 9012 Files\758 folder total in it for 85Mb/105Mb(on disk).

Nimbal wrote:

o How many files do you have in "C:\MinGW\install\include\boost"?
There are 87 items in directly in \boost, all of them being folders. I'm missing all the *.hpp found in the temp folder that you mentioned above.
boost folder property says that there are 0 Files\757 folder total in it for 0Mb/0Mb(on disk).

As you see, no file has been copied from temp to install.

Nimbal wrote:

o Open "Thrive\mingw_setup\boost\setup.ps1" with some text editor, go to line 73 and delete the " | out-null" at the end of this line. Start the setup process and post another log of the output. You can cancel the process when the boost archives have been unpacked (so you don't have to wait for over two hours).

edit :

I assume you were talking about "Thrive\mingw_setup\boost\install.ps1" since it has the "| out-null" at line 73. "E:\GitHub\Thrive\mingw_setup\setup.ps1" doesn't have this ending at line 73.

I didn't delete anything because I didn't want to delete anything you wanted to stay there.

Here is the requested log :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/156274557/Thrive%20Build%20-%20install.ps1%20LOG_11Apr13-15h45.txt

Since I stopped it right in the process, I'm not sure if it is worth anything, but I now have 9 .hpp files in the "C:\MinGW\install\include\boost" folder where I had 0 without removing the out-null.

"C:\MinGW\temp\boost\boost_1_51_0" is the exact same.

Also, wouldn't it be possible to set the execution policy at the start of setup.ps1? You could write the old value of the execution policy in a variable and set it back to what it was at the end of setup.ps1 if possible. It might not be possible since the execution policy prevent a script from running, which is where it would be changed. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Last edited by RodGame on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 3:25 pm

There is no folder called boost inside temp.

There is nothing inside the folder MinGW/install

This is the log regarding to boost. All of it. I even left the parts before and after.
Spoiler:

I believe there is something in the boost script that is making it fail. I vote on either it is not finding the file to download or it is failing the 7z check before that.
Back to top Go down
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 3:56 pm

Danni, would it be possible that the problem comes from the fact that you use C:\MinGW2 instead of C:\MinGW ? I know it is mentionned that its possible to change the target folder in the readme, but It might help to use the standard target folder since your problem since to be bigger than mine(i.e not having anything in the install folder).

edit: I'm on the chat if you want more information or to iterate faster while debugging Nimbal.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Great. Three systems, three different behaviours. If anyone ever wants to tell me again how the Linux world is so "fragmented" and Windows is not, I know just what to tell them.

@Rod: It looks like boost is using the copy command incorrectly to install itself. Instead of just copying the files it tries to concatenate the actual file and some "non-existent" files in binary mode. That's what all those error messages mean:

Spoiler:

I currently have no idea how to fix this, especially since I can't reproduce it on my end.

@Daniferrito: Your error seems different from Rod's after all. Is there a file "temp\7zip\7za.exe"?

Edit: Nevermind. I could reproduce the problem. Fix coming in a few minutes.

Rodgame wrote:

Danni, would it be possible that the problem comes from the fact that you use C:\MinGW2 instead of C:\MinGW ?

Good point, but I'd actually prefer it if people tested the script in as many different circumstances as possible.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 7:11 pm

After some time on IRC, here are the results:

The script seems to work fine with the default folder. If you specify a diferent folder, boost fails. I believe you alredy solved that, but i will check it again later. Having an antivirus seems to be problematic at times (Rodgame got it working after disabling his)

Once the script finishes, cmake cannot find OIS. That happens to both of us. All the rest works, althrough on the variables that cmake shows it seems it didnt find boost. It allows to generate anyways.

Once generated, compiling doesent give any problem. The game .exe runs fine.

At this point, i think the pull request could be accepted. But probably the OIS step has to be looked at, or at least notify on the readme.txt that it has to be set manually. Tell me if i should accept it or wait a bit.

Edit: The script doesent seem to fill completelly the cmake propierties. It is not copying the libboost_..._mt.dll libraries into the final folder. You are probably not experiencing the errors because you have those libraries in your path (inside MinGW/install/lib). Remove MinGW from the path to simulate the error. However, it is copying the other two libraries that we had to move manually in there before (libgcc... and libstdc...)
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 1:31 am

For now, wait with merging the pull request. I'd like to resolve the OIS problems first.

Could you upload the CMakeCache.txt file from your build directory somewhere so I can have a look?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 1:37 am

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3q0yel7fouphxo/CMakeCache.txt

there you are.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 5:50 am

Is that the one generated by vanilla CMake, or did you already specify the OIS dir?

I'm also a little confused that there is a cache entry for OGRE_SDK (which is just an empty string). That shouldn't be there at all (at least not in this version). And if it's there, it should be set to the correct directory, not empty. Weird.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 7:15 am

Its the logfile for the complete configuration and generation of cmake, OIS fix included.

Would you want me to delete the build directory and run cmake again to the point where it gets stuck?
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 7:21 am

Yes, please. Maybe I can see from the cache file what went wrong.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 8:03 am

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fg3co66d0xiypjj/CMakeCache2.txt

Here it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Build system discussion
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next