Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Build system discussion - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Build system discussion

Go down 
+4
~sciocont
Daniferrito
Nimbal
Seregon
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

Build system discussion - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 8:20 am

My fault, it is alredy there, i didnt saw it.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 3:59 pm

Due to a bug in either gcc 4.8 or the luabind library, I need to downgrade the build system to gcc 4.7. The precompiled Ogre SDK available to download is incompatible with the usable mingw builds I found, so we'll need to build Ogre from source. I actually like this prospect because it allows us more control.

It also opens the option to compile for 64 bit Windows (the precompiled Ogre SDK was 32 bits only). In principle, it's possible to support both 32 and 64 bit versions, but they'd need to be separate build chains. I can add an option for that later, if necessary.

The question is, does anyone here still use a 32 bit system? Do we even want to support such systems?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 4:34 pm

I'm ok going 64 bits. Any computer built in the last five years i've seen uses it alredy, and taking into acount the scope of the game, older computer wont be able to run it too well.

I've looked at some statistics, and about 3/4 of all computer users use windows 64 bits. However, win32 users greatly outnumber all the linux users together, and we are still suporting linux.

My vote goes for compiling it for 32 or 64 bits for now (one of the other, althrough 32 is more compatible), but eventually change the script to work for both if we feel we need to. Unless i'm missing something coding shouldn't change, so we dont have to worry too much about it.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 10:54 am

I just pushed the latest version to the Lua branch. As I already mentioned in another thread, generating 64 bit executables proved to be too much trouble. The main changes to the build system:

• Downgrade from gcc 4.8 to gcc 4.7 due to incompatibilities with luabind, as described here
  • Upgraded from Boost 1.51 to Boost 1.53
  • Ogre is now compiled from source

I recommend deleting your old build system directory.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:01 am

I downloaded it a few hours ago, and when i checked gcc to see the version, it still said 4.8. I made sure do delete all previous mingw folders and ran the script on C:/MinGW.

I see you just pushed an update 5 mins ago, but you only changed the readme.txt, so i dont think the script should change its behaviour. Anyway, i'm runing it again to see if it still installs gcc 4.8.

BTW, i tried compiling and it complained about luabind. I supose that is the problem you are having with gcc 4.8?
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:10 am

The change to the readme was an afterthought. The actual changes are in the commit(s) before that.

And yes, luabind was the culprit (although it might very well be a compiler bug with gcc 4.8, I'll have to investigate further). But it could be that the error you saw stems from another small issue I forgot to mention. I've added git submodules (i.e. references to other git repositories) to the googletest framework and luabind. Those submodules will have to be initialized before they contain anything. If you are using TortoiseGit, you can do that with "Submodule Update" in the right-click context menu. Make sure that "init" is checked in the dialog that pops up and click ok.

If you are using a command line git client, the command for initializing the submodules is "git submodule update --init".
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:22 am

Hmmm, i was only downloading the whole folder as .zip. Not any git client or anything. I'm going to look into that while the current script runs.

The script is currently working on boost, so mingw is alredy installed. I checked, and now it says the version is 4.7.3. I dont know why it was saying 4.8 before.

Actually, the error it was telling me was missing .hpp files. I checked, and they were indeed not there.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 11:26 am

I just tried, and the zip generated by GitHub doesn't contain the submodules. That would definitely explain missing header files. You'll have to clone the repository, I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 12:01 pm

Ok, i downloaded git, tortoisegit, and cloned the repo with the submodules. However, the script is failing to compile OGRE. Here is the log:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 12:06 pm

Looks like the dependencies weren't installed correctly. Did you have any error messages in the step before that?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 12:33 pm

I ran it again and it seemed to have an error at ogre dependencies and cmake. However, it passes way too fast for me to be able to copy it. Is there a way of dumping the log into a .txt file? I dont know how to work with powershell.

If i look at the temp folder, it downloaded the .zip that contains the dependencies, but it didnt unpack them. I downloaded the .zip file manually and it ocupies exactly the same amount of bytes.

I got the log by adding

$shell = new-object -comobject wscript.shell
$shell.popup("Wait",0,"",0)

at the end of the ogre dependencies script. However, it didnt fail this time. I believe it is because i unziped the downloaded package manually by rightclick>extract here. Ogre is building now.

I'll rerun the script after deleting the folders later, to see if it still gives me the error, or it just didnt want to behave temporarly.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 12:46 pm

Ah, thanks for the detective work. Impatient as I was, I commented out the line where the dependencies archive was unpacked to save some time during testing and promptly forgot to comment it back in. It's fixed now.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptySat May 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Ok, got it working. It definetly does... something.

The input part doesent work too well. It seems like it doesent get that a key has been released sometimes. Either we change how it works on the lua side, or we made the other side more reliable. Can you point me where the other side is? Where the events come from. I'll see if i can make it more reliable.
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptySun May 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Ok guys, I wish to start helping, do I just follow the main post like I did before or was there a change?

This is getting bad, only 2 active programmers, I cannot allow this. So I have to help.

Nimbals comment about the 'bus factor' pushed me off the edge.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptySun May 12, 2013 11:33 pm

There has been some changes on the set-up script, so you will have to delete previous instalationsof the script and run it again. If you have a clean MinGW instalation in C:/MinGW, i recomend you to move it or rename it so you can run the script in C:/MinGW (just in case).

Nimbal added submodules to the git repo, so you will have to download them as well. For that, follow the instructions on this Nimbal's post:
Spoiler:

For now, the repo with the most updated sources is nimbal's thrive (lua branch), but i intend to merge that into the main repo.

Just follow the steps in the readme, that hasn't changed.

On Code::Blocks, i found out a way of runing the game from the environement while on IRC with Nimbal. To do so, right click the project>propierties>build targets>install. There, change the type from commands only to gui aplication, specify the output filename as Thrive.exe and set the execution working dir as dist\bin. That even allows you to debug from Code::Blocks (althrough i recomend you not to run it on fullscreen to do so).

The documentation with doxygen is awesome, once you get it working. There is probably a better way, but i had to download doxygen, put the executable on the doc folder, edit the doxygen.cfg.in so INPUT points to ../src and run doxygen doxygen.cfg.in in the command line. Again, either there is a better way i missed or .gitignore prevented the right files from being uploaded to the repo.

Edit: I just merged the pull request. There were conflicts for some files in the set-up script. I used the changes from nimbal's repo.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 2:16 am

untrustedlife wrote:
Ok guys, I wish to start helping, do I just follow the main post like I did before or was there a change?
Great to hear that! As Dani already said, you can follow the readme.txt in the mingw_setup subfolder of the repository. If there are any problems, let me know.

Daniferrito wrote:

The documentation with doxygen is awesome, once you get it working. There is probably a better way ...
There should be a new build target named "doc". If Code::Blocks didn't pick it up, re-run CMake and make sure that DOXYGEN_EXECUTABLE is set correctly. Note that this may overwrite the changes you made to your install target. I'll see if I can add a target like "install & run", but I'm not sure this is possible in a clean way. Oh, and you probably have to revert the changes you made to doxygen.cfg.in. The paths you edited will be filled in by CMake.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 6:05 am

That makes quite a lot of sense. I'm on my phone right now, but i dont see any option for doxigex executable, only doc output dir.

When i get home, i'll fo a full reinstalation to see if i can set up doxygen on cmake. That would be this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 6:08 am

Try and check the "Advanced" checkbox to see DOXYGEN_EXECUTABLE.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 6:29 am

It is showing under advanced. Ill try it when i get home.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:53 am

We solved this on the IRL, just for anybody wondering.

I just pushed into the repo, inside the branch Physics, the scripts to add the Physics engine bullet and the sound library irrKlang into Thrive. They are still WIP, but i'm working on it. All it does for now is download the libraries and make them avaible for the game, I still have to implement them into the engine.

However, there is something i've done that could be interesting. I seted it up so on startup it will load Thrive's main theme and play it on a loop. At least to show off that it is working. I'm currently uploading it, i'll post it in about 30 mins.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:58 am

I guess the sound systems can be put into the OgreEngine class. That way, sound and graphics should always fit reasonably well together (no delays due to unlucky thread scheduling) and I don't think the sound engine is heavy-weight enough to warrant its own dedicated thread.

(This discussion may be better in the Engine Architecture thread, but you mentioned it here)
Back to top Go down
crovea
Programming Team lead
crovea

PostSubject: Build problems!   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 9:33 am

Hey new programmer interrested in getting involved here!

I forked the prototype repo and have been following the readme in the mingw_setup directory but am having some trouble at step 6.6

I noticed RodGame had a very similar problem to mine on page 2 of this post (although mine does not complain about the two variables his did) but couldn't find any solution to the specific problem.

My cmake gui variables window have the following variables:

Code:
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE
CMAKE_CODEBLOCKS_EXECUTABLE    CMAKE_CODEBLOCKS_EXECUTABLE-NOTFOUND
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX           C:/Program Files (x86)/Thrive
OGRE_SDK                       B:/MinGW/OgreSDK
CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE           B:/MinGW/cmake/toolchain.cmake
The codeblocks executable seem to have some trouble, i tried specifying my codeblocks.exe, but after clicking configure it states its missing again.
As you can see, i use my B drive for most things (altough the i have the repo itself on my D drive), and i never use my C drive, so im not sure why it's using my cdrive fro the install prefix.

I only have very little experience with cmake WinGW and codeblocks so besides the fruitless search i did for similar problems i'm not sure how to fix these errors atm. Hoping one of you guys could make the process a little more pain free!

The cmake error:
Code:
The C compiler identification is GNU 4.7.3
The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.7.3
Check for working C compiler: B:/MinGW/bin/gcc.exe
CMake Error: Generator: execution of make failed. Make command was: /MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe "cmTryCompileExec4173182653/fast"
Check for working C compiler: B:/MinGW/bin/gcc.exe -- broken
CMake Error at B:/Program Files (x86)/CMake 2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:61 (message):
  The C compiler "B:/MinGW/bin/gcc.exe" is not able to compile a simple test
  program.

It fails with the following output:

Change Dir: D:/Users/Documents/git/Thrive/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command:/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe
  "cmTryCompileExec4173182653/fast"

The system cannot find the file specified

Generator: execution of make failed.  Make command was:
  /MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe "cmTryCompileExec4173182653/fast"

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:9 (project)

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
EDIT: I resolved my problem by rerunning the setup script with a new MinGW directly as C:\MinGW
Also found this other thread that may be more appropriate for troubleshooting: https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t999-development-troubleshooting#27758
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 2:20 pm

Great to hear you managed to solve this particular problem. Just out of curiosity, did you try manually setting the CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM to the file bin/mingw32-make.exe inside the mingw directory? I could have sworn I put a note about that in the readme.txt for people that install mingw to non-standard directories, but I either hallucinated that or took it out for a reason I can't remember right now.
Back to top Go down
crovea
Programming Team lead
crovea

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 7:02 am

Yes setting that variable manually does resolve the issue :)just tried building on my laptop today.

I'll add a pull request with the information about this issue to the readme (it wasn't there, just a recommendation for using the C drive). I will also update the link in the top of the readme to be the other build problems thread, which seems more appropriate!

EDIT: Actually more errors occour, but i think i've become familiar enough with the build system that i can figure it out and add it to the readme
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 EmptyFri May 16, 2014 10:50 pm

A quick scan though the thread reveals that nobody's brought up Travis for continuous integration. Travis-CI is integrated with github, free for open-source projects, and very easy to set up -- all we need are some ubuntu dependency-installation and build scripts. Since I am conveniently-enough busy trying to get Thrive to build on my own ubuntu box, I could cobble together a build script once I get it working, and then we can get thrive on travis.

Oh, what's more, travis can do continuous deployment too, so if we can figure something out with a download server (github releases?), we'll have a completely automated release system.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Build system discussion   Build system discussion - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Build system discussion
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next