Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Introducing myself, Untrustedlife

Go down 
+2
NickTheNick
untrustedlife
6 posters
AuthorMessage
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Empty
PostSubject: Introducing myself, Untrustedlife   Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 12:00 pm

I am UntrustedLife (you can call me Mike), i have been programming since I was 9 years old.

I have just recently gotten into C++ ( although I do know visual basic, a bit of java,I know GML, JBasic, and python as-well) I am currently developing a rogue-like game called RogueLegends.

I can't guarantee that i will stay on, (i have a habit of halting development of games at random) but I would love to help out, code a bit and come up with ideas.

I use Code-blocks as my C++ SDK of choice.
I was thinking of making a game like this (at least the microbe stage) in GML when i noticed this project. So I have a-lot of cool ideas.

I would love to do some prototyping in GML as-well as programming a bit on Thrive and i would love to contribute my ideas.
I cant wait to help out.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Introducing myself, Untrustedlife   Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 4:34 pm

Welcome to the Thrive project Mike!

Your background in programming is incredible! Its good to see you've akready introduced yourself on the programmer coordination thread. Some of the currently active coders are Seregon, Daniferrito, Nimbal, and RodGame (Tarpy, are you a coder?). You should check out the GET INVOLVED thread, or PM the above guys, to get started, once you clear up time with your roguelike project of course.

The Microbe Stage itself is being developed right now, so you came at a perfect time.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Introducing myself, Untrustedlife   Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 4:45 pm

Hello! Welcome to the forum, Mike!

@Nick- Well, I am a programmer but I'm currently inactive. I started making a very simple tech editor prototype in java back on the 15th of March or something like that, but production of it halted due to the enormous amount of schoolwork I have. Once I finish the TE, I will post it on a special thread.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Introducing myself, Untrustedlife   Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 5:25 pm

Haha, an unsuspecting vict.. uhh, I mean, Hi Mike!

Code::Blocks you say, hm? Then you seem like a prime candidate to test out the new scripts for an automated build setup. If you've got some time, you can checkout my [url=https://github.com/Nimbal/Thrive/tree/Daniferrito]fork at GitHub[/fork], branch "Daniferrito" and follow the instructions in the mingw_setup/readme.txt.
Back to top Go down
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Introducing myself, Untrustedlife   Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi there,

Nice to see some coder coming aboard!

We are currently in the process of setuping the build as mentionned by Nimbal. We'll put focus on the core of the game afterward.

I'm currently doing some prototyping on the Microbe stage at the following link :
https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t1111p15-microbe-prototype-under-unity#21650

Prototyping is always useful if done correctly and without duplicating work. I'm thinking about making a list of prototype/devloping task to be done. Do you have any part of the game in mind you would be interested in prototyping ?

Otherwise, it would be nice to have you keep practicing with C++ and Ogre right now!

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Introducing myself, Untrustedlife   Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 8:13 pm

RodGame wrote:
Hi there,

Nice to see some coder coming aboard!

We are currently in the process of setuping the build as mentionned by Nimbal. We'll put focus on the core of the game afterward.

I'm currently doing some prototyping on the Microbe stage at the following link :
https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t1111p15-microbe-prototype-under-unity#21650

Prototyping is always useful if done correctly and without duplicating work. I'm thinking about making a list of prototype/devloping task to be done. Do you have any part of the game in mind you would be interested in prototyping ?

Otherwise, it would be nice to have you keep practicing with C++ and Ogre right now!

Welcome!

What kinds of things need to be prototyped right now? I actually already started doing something similar to the microbe stage, (simply to see if it would work out well). Shall I continue on that so we can see it from different angles?

Thank you for the warm welcome you guys. Can't wait to start doing something. I will need to talk to my rogue-legends dev team. See if they wont be annoyed (even though it is my project). I might be able to get you guys another composer, Alan is extremely talented at doing adventurous sounding music.
Back to top Go down
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Introducing myself, Untrustedlife   Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 am

Nice to see you already started prototyping. It'll help you get around the game design as I had to do doing mine. Keep going if you want. If you're going to make something too similar to what I'm doing, you might be better off helping on some other topics. If you have anything to say about the prototype I'm working on, please contribute to the thread.

Out of my head,

Here are prototype that would help :

Microbe editor as mentionned in this thread by ~sciocont :
https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t1111p15-microbe-prototype-under-unity#21674

Procedural planet generation is something ongoing that could use prototyping :
https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t124p90-ppg-procedural-planet-generator#21672

Function part are also in constant evolution. Maybe trying to build a system to handle all the information in Xml file and displaying it could be useful. Throwing ideas.
https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t1081p60-function-part-discussion#21665

Anything related to procedural generation will also comes eventually and need a lot of work. However, it is pretty advanced topic. Those are things like generating a mesh on the fly for models. Then we'll need to add animation to the model.
Marching cube is probably the best bet as of now : http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch01.html

Before anything, I'd suggest to try to setup the build environment and report any problems to Nimbal in the following thread :
https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t1101p15-build-system-discussion#21673

Once the environment is setup, you'll be able to easily work on the project and will find yourself building it before you even know it!.

Also, please experiment with Ogre
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Introducing myself, Untrustedlife   Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 2:22 pm

Welcome, It's great to see new blood coming in. I'd recommend you start on a microbe editor prototype, since that's what we need to focus on most at this point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introducing myself, Untrustedlife   Introducing myself,  Untrustedlife Empty

Back to top Go down

Introducing myself, Untrustedlife
Page 1 of 1