Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Revamping the Wiki

Go down 
+15
dinoman9877
FalmerbloodElixir
Inca
hypoxanthine
Daniferrito
Oliveriver
ExtraSolar
~sciocont
WJacobC
Nimbal
untrustedlife
Tarpy
WilliamstheJohn
RodGame
NickTheNick
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Inca
Regular
Inca

Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 1:12 pm

On the Wiki, there isn't section for biomes on the nav bar. I think this should be included, and biome information compiled into that section.
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 3:15 am

Well, from what I remember from what ~scio said, biomes won't be strictly defined, as in there will be no presets that will be shuffled and generated. Instead, the world will be covered with moisture maps, resource maps, temperature maps, etc, and then the computer will distinguish all similar areas into biomes, so they will be procedurally generated. Having said that, I think it is very important we get an update on the wiki entry for biomes explaining this, and maybe going into a bit more depth as to how this random generation would work and how the computer would identify biomes.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 10:44 am

I agree. I think we should view the wiki as our conclusive dev spec, so basically everything when decided on is updated there.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Okay, so a new task for people who aren't writing up pages for the wiki, you can suggest new wiki pages.

I can think of some we don't have right now, and I will add them to the OP, such as a page on Agents, a page on Organelles, and an update for the new Biome concept.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Big update on the wiki. Our current wiki is hosted on Wikidot. I propose a move to Wikia. Wikia wikis are free to create and maintain, have much more streamlined layouts, are easier to edit, handle photos and videos better, and just overall seems like a better choice for our official wiki. Now I know we have a lot already on Wikidot, but the amount of work required to copy over all our work is actually not that much. It's quite easy to copy over whole wiki entries, with maybe a couple of formatting changes to make. The only issue that would take some effort is the links. All the links would have to be changed to lead to their respective pages on Wikia, not on Wikidot.

If you want to decide for yourself, here are the links to the two sites. Try checking out an example Wikia wiki, and compare it to ours.

http://www.wikia.com/Wikia

http://www.wikidot.com/

I've put up a poll to see what you guys think. I personally would support a shift to Wikia, as I think it is easier to use, has more useful features, and looks more professional.
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 12:03 am

I wholeheartedly agree. This would be a good move and speed up wiki updating considerably. I vote for a move to Wikia.
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 am

I am much in favour of doing the difficult time consuming things now if it will pay off in the future. Especially as its summer holidays from uni and I have pretty much nothing to do all day.
Back to top Go down
FalmerbloodElixir
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 1:07 pm

I'd be willing to help move the content from wikidot to wikia if that's what is decided.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 1:39 am

Okay as long as there are no objections we will be moving our official wiki over to wikia. I'll create a page on there now.

All mods and team leads: Be sure to PM me with your usernames when you make Wikia accounts so that I can add you to the editing group for our wiki. Remember, every Team Lead ought to regularly update the wiki with concept from their field.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 2:32 am

I have sent a message to Wikia, asking for the currently inactive wiki page on Thrive to be removed so that we can use it, and am awaiting a response. It bothers me to have to wait, since I have some free time now to copy over content from the old wiki, but ah well.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 3:20 am

Sorry for the triple post, but apparently we already have a wiki on Wikia here:

http://thrivegame.wikia.com/wiki/Thrive_Wiki

It hasn't been edited for 3 years. I could try and ask for an Adoption for that wiki, giving myself Admin rights which I would give to the other mods and team leads. However, that would take a while before I would even meet the prerequisites to even apply for an adoption.

Does anyone have the login info for our Wikia account? This does change things a bit. I'm going to have to update the poll now. At this point, if someone would like to object to moving to wikia, please post here.

Our choices are:

A) Make a new Wikia page called something like thrive-game.wikia.com/wiki/Thrive_Wiki    *Note the hyphen in the URL. The title for the wiki can be the same, just the URL has to be unique. I personally prefer this one, because although it means a less simple URL, it also means we get all founder powers assuming there are some, and we avoid any and all complications and procedures to obtain one of those other pages.

B) Continue with the process of asking to take over the thrive.wikia.com/wiki/Thrive_Wiki page. It is possible they would deny us. I personally think this one would be best as it has the best URL for when more people try and search up our wiki.

C) Attempt to adopt the old thrivegame.wikia.com/wiki/Thrive_Wiki. This option would probably take the most time and effort, and most of the pages that have already been done on it are old concept. It also means that if there are any founder powers, none of us can use them cause the founders are gone.
Back to top Go down
dinoman9877
Newcomer
dinoman9877

Location : The Jurassic Period, fighting an allosaurus using a spear.

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 3:27 am

Just get the first one, it's easiest and we don't have to wait for so long, besides, you'd have to completely redo the pages for the second option and we can't do anything with the third.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 8:21 am

If we go for A, we need to try and make sure that url B is taken down. We don't want two wikis up incase people land on the old one. I don't think they would deny us, if we show them the forum and prove we're the same team.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 2:28 pm

Change in plans, they actually accepted our request for the Thrive URL (thrive.wikia.com/wiki/Thrive_Wiki)

However, they did more than I expected. Instead of just handing it over to us to control, they took it down so that we can make our own under the same name. That means no issues with founder rights. I am going to go ahead and make one under this name right now, just to secure it. Also, I think this effectively eliminates the need for option A.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 2:59 pm

The only other thing to consider is whether we would want to be revolutionarygames.wikia.com/wiki/thrive_wiki to tie in with the youtube channel and stuff?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 3:19 pm

No, that would mean its the wiki for Revolutionary Games. We could create a separate wiki for that, and then give a link to the Thrive wiki, but I think the Thrive wiki should be named Thrive.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 3:34 pm

Ok fair enough. Then I agree with you.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 12:50 am

Okay so we now have a new wiki here:

http://thrive.wikia.com/wiki/Thrive_Wiki?cb=497

It's almost completely barren, so we have to get to work on copying over the content from the old wiki. All Mods and Team Leads, can you please PM me your usernames or post them here. If you do not have Wikia accounts already, please create them, as it is important as a team lead or mod to regularly update the wiki from content from your field. It also greatly help speed up our progress to have a regularly updated and fleshed out wiki.
Back to top Go down
dinoman9877
Newcomer
dinoman9877

Location : The Jurassic Period, fighting an allosaurus using a spear.

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 12:53 am

We're not going to do like Spore wiki where there's a database of developer-made creatures and player-made creatures, will we? Because I'm under the assumption the computer will randomly generate species for every new game, rather than have developer made species.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 1:07 am

No we won't.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 11:43 pm

I'm bumping this to attract attention.

NickTheNick wrote:
Okay so we now have a new wiki here:

http://thrive.wikia.com/wiki/Thrive_Wiki?cb=497

It's almost completely barren, so we have to get to work on copying over the content from the old wiki. All Mods and Team Leads, can you please PM me your usernames or post them here. If you do not have Wikia accounts already, please create them, as it is important as a team lead or mod to regularly update the wiki from content from your field. It also greatly help speed up our progress to have a regularly updated and fleshed out wiki.

This is important stuff. Our new wiki is up and running, and I got everything sorted out and complete with the Wikia Support. Remember, the 3 ways to help are:

A) Suggest pages. Be aware though that this is a new wiki so most articles are currently missing. Refer to our wiki on Wikidot for the time being to see if something has a page on it yet or not.
B) Write skeleton articles. Put important info in bullet form, format it into the proper structure, and post links to the forum where necessary.
C) Write articles. Starting with a skeleton article or from scratch, make sure all the concept is clearly explained in full sentences and paragraphs, with proper formatting, and media where possible. Remember to link to other wiki pages where necessary and back to the forums to threads that are relevant.

EDIT: Also, yes, it is true, the wiki has an off-topic sub-forum. If any of you find this objectionable, then please convince me so, otherwise it will stay up to funnel away people on this forum who spend more time going off-topic and raising Belgium than actually contributing.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 9:06 am

Username is IncaUK.

If team leads could oversee the transition from old wiki to new for their section, that would be excellent.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 12:27 pm

I know I was supposed to write the tech editor article months ago, and I am sorry for failing to do so. I am making the article right now.

Things I will include for now would only be the basics of the tech editor/ introduction + the FP list and all of their technological requirements and sub-types, along with references to the threads on which these we're discussed.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 1:35 pm

I'll update and move the soundtrack page over to the new Wiki.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 4:12 pm

I have finished the tech editor page, so here is the link. Suggestion on improving it are welcome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revamping the Wiki   Revamping the Wiki - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Revamping the Wiki
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next