Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 Mating......

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
YourBreakfast
Learner


Posts : 114
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Mating......   Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:06 pm

How are we gonna do it guys?
I'm kinda thinking we should just make it kinda black-out and then a little baby gets born. It just seems the simpler way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:43 pm

YourBreakfast wrote:
How are we gonna do it guys?
I'm kinda thinking we should just make it kinda black-out and then a little baby gets born. It just seems the simpler way.
Different settings for parental control should handle blood/gore and mating. Auto-skip through the 'intimacy' would be the highest setting, then blurring, then nothing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invader
Experienced


Posts : 528
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-07-10
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:51 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
YourBreakfast wrote:
How are we gonna do it guys?
I'm kinda thinking we should just make it kinda black-out and then a little baby gets born. It just seems the simpler way.
Different settings for parental control should handle blood/gore and mating. Auto-skip through the 'intimacy' would be the highest setting, then blurring, then nothing.


Maybe different settings? I really don't want to watch my aliens "do it", but I do, however, want to see something's guts spill everywhere.


MUHAHHAHHA!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:02 am

InvaderZim wrote:
Maybe different settings? I really don't want to watch my aliens "do it", but I do, however, want to see something's guts spill everywhere.

MUHAHHAHHA!
Point taken. Fully customizable settings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:28 pm

Again, blurring or blackouts, recognizing this at all comes to the point of how we designate these actions. The game itself won't just know "oh, these aliens are mating, blur it out". It will have no way of knowing what is what, so I think all of this sn't really necessary to discuss, because making the game recognize it will mean we're actually focusing a good amount of time on it, which is something we don't want or need to do. Simply put, the game is about nature, so I see no reason why nature should not be seen.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead


Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:55 pm

~sciocont wrote:
The game itself won't just know "oh, these aliens are mating, blur it out". It will have no way of knowing what is what, so I think all of this sn't really necessary to discuss, because making the game recognize it will mean we're actually focusing a good amount of time on it, which is something we don't want or need to do.

Of course the game will know when two organisms are mating. Mating is something we need to code in, and we can always add simple detection to that code. Like this:

Code:
//Somewhere in mating code

alienX.mating_sequence = true;

//Some other code

Then at a place where GUI is handled:

Code:
onScreen = GetAllOrganismsOnScreen();
For (i= 0; i < count(onScreen); i++)
{
      if ((onScreen select i).mating_sequence == true)
      {
            //Shader blurring code
      }
}

(Note that this language is Operation Flashpoint/ArmA .sqf Scripting language, not C++)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
YourBreakfast
Learner


Posts : 114
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:40 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Again, blurring or blackouts, recognizing this at all comes to the point of how we designate these actions. The game itself won't just know "oh, these aliens are mating, blur it out". It will have no way of knowing what is what, so I think all of this sn't really necessary to discuss, because making the game recognize it will mean we're actually focusing a good amount of time on it, which is something we don't want or need to do. Simply put, the game is about nature, so I see no reason why nature should not be seen.

Well then we have some big issues. What you said here is that we should see it all.
First - this will mean we'll have to place sexual organs on our creatures, which will add A LOT of complexity (and probably discomfort for players)
Second - the number of animations to create is gonna be HUGE. Unless we're only gonna have a simple movement with the appropriate tagged parts, in which case the animations will look messy as hell.
Third - players WILL be disturbed by all the sex and birthing. While I don't mind it, there's an extent to which I will be able to see my creatures having sex.
Fourth - will we have a pregnancy time?
And lastly - I see no reason why we're unable to just, after clicking "Mate with", the screen fades black and we see either eggs or live birth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:45 pm

YourBreakfast wrote:


Well then we have some big issues. What you said here is that we should see it all.
First - this will mean we'll have to place sexual organs on our creatures, which will add A LOT of complexity (and probably discomfort for players)
Second - the number of animations to create is gonna be HUGE. Unless we're only gonna have a simple movement with the appropriate tagged parts, in which case the animations will look messy as hell.
Third - players WILL be disturbed by all the sex and birthing. While I don't mind it, there's an extent to which I will be able to see my creatures having sex.
Fourth - will we have a pregnancy time?
And lastly - I see no reason why we're unable to just, after clicking "Mate with", the screen fades black and we see either eggs or live birth.

1 sexual organs can be quite simple, and we already include them in the organ systems available in the OE. It adds as much complexity as it needs to, and most likely they will evolve to be fairly simple.

2 animations don't matter too much if you don't want to look at it, right? Besides, many methods of reproduction require very little interaction between sexes, like fish spawning. There are many methods of reproduction that you haven't accounted for that could evolve.

3 any actual intercourse will be handled by AI animations, so players can fast forward, look away, etc

4 gestation is something we have to account for if we want a realistic reproduction process. Gestation will depend mainly on how big the young are in the egg/womb and how many there are inside the birthing sex.

5 sure, if your species has a point-click mating interaction, then mating is already defined and you can skip over it. But remember, you're not the only thing that has to mate.

Finally, we must look at this with open minds. Sex is the crux of quick, healthy evolution and should be treated as such in our game. We cannot forsake a fundamental of evolution for risk of someone not liking a small part of our game.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GamerXA
Regular


Posts : 285
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 28
Location : Australia, Queensland

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:50 pm

What about the Gender? Is the Player's Organism's Random.


Last edited by GamerXA on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:51 pm

GamerXA wrote:
What about the Gestation Period?
#4 in above post

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead


Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:43 pm

Blurring is so easy to code I could (almost) do it myself, so if some players will not like what they see, they will just turn it on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:12 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Blurring is so easy to code I could (almost) do it myself, so if some players will not like what they see, they will just turn it on.
The problem is the game knowing what and when to blur.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead


Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:03 pm

Nope, it isn't, not from the coding site. If something will be used in mating by the game, we can easily detect it. The same applies for timing (For technical details look at my first post in the topic).

Unless you think the problem is in unfinished concept, then I agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:01 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Nope, it isn't, not from the coding site. If something will be used in mating by the game, we can easily detect it. The same applies for timing (For technical details look at my first post in the topic).

Unless you think the problem is in unfinished concept, then I agree.
I suppose if it'll be that easy, it's no problem. I just opposed this idea because i see it as unnecessary.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koiboi59
Learner


Posts : 125
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2010-07-20
Location : Free Country USA

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:35 am

i think for comedic effect there should be a mode putting a big black "CENSORED" between them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
YourBreakfast
Learner


Posts : 114
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:13 am

koiboi59 wrote:
i think for comedic effect there should be a mode putting a big black "CENSORED" between them.

Nah, blurring I believe is the way to go. Those big black CENSORED things always come up on those funny home videos and don't really fit with the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gabbe
Newcomer


Posts : 13
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:17 am

Quote :
i think for comedic effect there should be a mode putting a big black "CENSORED" between them.

Taht would totally suck as then it would be a joke of a game, and as the dude before me said, it wont match the rest of the game..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:15 pm

gabbe wrote:
Quote :
i think for comedic effect there should be a mode putting a big black "CENSORED" between them.

Taht would totally suck as then it would be a joke of a game, and as the dude before me said, it wont match the rest of the game..
Not as bad as spore, teletubby baby making.

And if when you reproduce you get moved to a future organism, possibly offspring, possibly descendants, then how can you reproduce and continue using the organism? What if you want to raise the offspring, showing the rest of your species how to care/not care for them?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead


Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:47 pm

The Uteen wrote:
And if when you reproduce you get moved to a future organism, possibly offspring, possibly descendants, then how can you reproduce and continue using the organism? What if you want to raise the offspring, showing the rest of your species how to care/not care for them?

Maybe we should continue to control the organism, and when it dies we should get to next newborn member of your "family".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GamerXA
Regular


Posts : 285
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 28
Location : Australia, Queensland

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:10 pm

Though some people might not want to keep control of the Organism and may want to start anew straight away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead


Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:35 am

GamerXA wrote:
Though some people might not want to keep control of the Organism and may want to start anew straight away.

Hm. True, but it would get quite annoying asking the player if he wants to control the baby or the parent. Interesting problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
2creator
Newcomer


Posts : 69
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-10-14
Location : The interwebs

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:45 am

Also, there might be differences between baby and parent. The baby may have to learn all the skills the adult (you) have learned so far, so I know I'd pick the parent at least. But let's say there's perks to being the child. You may pass abilities through birth and the young creature might gain the ability to be faster or stronger. Then maybe I'd pick the baby. Also that could probably be changed in settings or such
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:47 am

Commander Keen wrote:
GamerXA wrote:
Though some people might not want to keep control of the Organism and may want to start anew straight away.

Hm. True, but it would get quite annoying asking the player if he wants to control the baby or the parent. Interesting problem.

And the solution? Settings! Hooray for giving non-repetitive yet still completely free choice to the player!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead


Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:14 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
Hm. True, but it would get quite annoying asking the player if he wants to control the baby or the parent. Interesting problem.

And the solution? Settings! Hooray for giving non-repetitive yet still completely free choice to the player!

If you mean having a listbox with settings: "Parent", "Baby", "Always ask" and "Random", then it's good solution. But this should be an exception, we don't want to clutter options with tens of choices like this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:53 am

Commander Keen wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
Hm. True, but it would get quite annoying asking the player if he wants to control the baby or the parent. Interesting problem.

And the solution? Settings! Hooray for giving non-repetitive yet still completely free choice to the player!

If you mean having a listbox with settings: "Parent", "Baby", "Always ask" and "Random", then it's good solution. But this should be an exception, we don't want to clutter options with tens of choices like this.

We could use a separate gameplay setting box for things like this, setting 'gameplay styles'. Then neither would get as cluttered. Or would this confuse casual players? I don't think so, others might disagree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Mating......   Today at 6:04 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Mating......
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Gameplay Stages :: Multicellular-
Jump to: