Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 PPG- Procedural Planet Generator

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:33 am

The Uteen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Why do we need to keep track of pollen?

I don't think it needs tracking, but we are going to have to simulate it, probably something random, but more likely in areas of trees (possibly taking into account wind, too, which should already exist for flying organisms).

Pollen should also have effects on creatures sometimes.
I don't think we need to actually simulate indirect insemination processes such as pollination.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Poisson
Regular


Posts : 322
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 21
Location : AK (GMT -9)

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:53 pm

~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Why do we need to keep track of pollen?

I don't think it needs tracking, but we are going to have to simulate it, probably something random, but more likely in areas of trees (possibly taking into account wind, too, which should already exist for flying organisms).

Pollen should also have effects on creatures sometimes.
I don't think we need to actually simulate indirect insemination processes such as pollination.
So what about pollination organisms like bees? Would we allow those to evolve?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:03 pm

Poisson wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Why do we need to keep track of pollen?

I don't think it needs tracking, but we are going to have to simulate it, probably something random, but more likely in areas of trees (possibly taking into account wind, too, which should already exist for flying organisms).

Pollen should also have effects on creatures sometimes.
I don't think we need to actually simulate indirect insemination processes such as pollination.
So what about pollination organisms like bees? Would we allow those to evolve?
We can have a pollinator slot in every biome with flowering plants.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roadkillguy
Experienced


Posts : 528
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2010-08-25
Age : 23
Location : Rhode Island

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:48 pm

That's the beauty of the niche system

Anyway, have we come up with how will planets be stored? It's hard to store spherical data without artifacts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr_Chillgood
Newcomer


Posts : 56
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-10-26

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:49 pm

I've actually recently downloaded a program called space engine that procedural generates the universe. Before I continue I would like to make it clear that I don't intend for thrive to simply use this program. I wanted to bring it up because its an open source program, so if we want to work out our PPG we may want to consult the one programmer of space engine. If you do a quick google you should find it quickly, I wish I could post the direct link but I can't yet. (although the url is eu(dot) spaceengine(dot)org) Its a new program in terms of development, so it requires a mostly decent comp to run due to a lack of efficiency.

It has a bit less to do with planet generation then it does celestial generation, however I thought it may be a good starting point. ( I can create a separate thread for this if you all want.) The man behind this program has expanded a bit on planet surface generation for the next update of the program so it may not be too much out of question to look at Space engine's programming as a starting point.

(like I said, not saying we should use this program exactly as it is, but learning from it would be better then making one from scratch. And take a look at some youtube videos of it, which I can't post links of them, but I can't sorry.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ido66667
Regular


Posts : 366
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 102
Location : Space - Time

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Dr_Chillgood wrote:
so if we want to work out our PPG we may want to consult the one programmer of space engine.


Maybe We can Offer Him to join The Team.
I think He can Help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pezzalis
Regular


Posts : 260
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-08-07

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:56 am

So basically this space engine contains astronomical preset data for the know universe, and procedurally generates everywhere else, including planetary surfaces? Wow. It does so with impressive visuals too, take a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68YK2FHkFjw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpnucN12uBQ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:48 pm

Pezzalis wrote:
So basically this space engine contains astronomical preset data for the know universe, and procedurally generates everywhere else, including planetary surfaces? Wow. It does so with impressive visuals too, take a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68YK2FHkFjw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpnucN12uBQ

That is immensely impressive. They've built basically everything we would need for large scale simulation of the milky way, I'm going to look into this.

edit:
THIS IS ABSOULTELY FANTASTIC. Thrive is essentially an extrapolation of this, since we're adding life into the universe. The beautiful graphics and high levels of detail are really getting me excited. With thrive, we can essentially just add localized details to a planet as you keep zooming in. We can basically base our game off of this engine. In fact, we could essentially give every player a different galaxy to live in. Which would be utterly, stupefyingly cool.

also, 2000 posts

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pezzalis
Regular


Posts : 260
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-08-07

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:25 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Pezzalis wrote:
So basically this space engine contains astronomical preset data for the know universe, and procedurally generates everywhere else, including planetary surfaces? Wow. It does so with impressive visuals too, take a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68YK2FHkFjw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpnucN12uBQ

That is immensely impressive. They've built basically everything we would need for large scale simulation of the milky way, I'm going to look into this.

edit:
THIS IS ABSOULTELY FANTASTIC. Thrive is essentially an extrapolation of this, since we're adding life into the universe. The beautiful graphics and high levels of detail are really getting me excited. With thrive, we can essentially just add localized details to a planet as you keep zooming in. We can basically base our game off of this engine. In fact, we could essentially give every player a different galaxy to live in. Which would be utterly, stupefyingly cool.

also, 2000 posts

Can't agree more,
Its open source isn't it? I think you should contact the creator(s) and see if he/she could join us or allow us to take a look at some of the juicy code. The specs are quite demanding but by the time we are done they will be the norm.
I've downloaded it and have been browsing a few galaxies
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:04 pm

I shot the developer a PM. I'll be checking in on the site regularly for his reply.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead


Posts : 1179
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 23
Location : ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:14 am

As impressive as this is, remember that buy end-game we'll be asking it to remember where the player parked his car. Can it handle it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr_Chillgood
Newcomer


Posts : 56
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-10-26

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Probibily can, the enginge works like the file browser on your computer. Galaxy>star>planet>planet mesh. As long as we're careful what we render all at once, there should be no problem what so ever. (At least that's what I assume.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
As impressive as this is, remember that buy end-game we'll be asking it to remember where the player parked his car. Can it handle it?
Considering that we're only making one galaxy, complexity is reduced. After all, since everything is procedurally generated in space engine, we'd only need to keep track of things you've already seen. For most of the game you'll be in one biome, on one planet, so there will be much less complexity on the large scale.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deathbite42
Regular


Posts : 212
Reputation : -3
Join date : 2012-07-27

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:05 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
It's plausible, and it will make the game quite interesting.
It may be plausible, but would they really return the same results? i mean, anything that has to photosynthesize to survive could only survive in the goldilocks zone, a Gas Giant moon would be too far from the sun and would have a long period of being eclipsed.
Even out of the goldilocks zone, life can photosynthesize. Europa is outside it, yet there is a range where plants can photosynthesize without getting blasted with radiation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deathbite42
Regular


Posts : 212
Reputation : -3
Join date : 2012-07-27

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:06 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
But will planets have similar materials if they are next to each other, or is that more 'in the next ten years' realisticness of programming?
We can probably define likely materials through position, but it doesn't really matter that much. Theoretically, any planet could get any element, and therefore make just about any sort of material.
I think it's important for us to stick to the generally accepted science of star systems, being that more dense, rocky planets are closer to the star than the large gas giants.
STOP USING KINDERGARTEN ASTRONOMY! You're wrong, our star is actually the exception to the rule, normally gas giants are closer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GamerXA
Regular


Posts : 285
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 28
Location : Australia, Queensland

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:59 pm

Deathbite42 wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
But will planets have similar materials if they are next to each other, or is that more 'in the next ten years' realisticness of programming?
We can probably define likely materials through position, but it doesn't really matter that much. Theoretically, any planet could get any element, and therefore make just about any sort of material.
I think it's important for us to stick to the generally accepted science of star systems, being that more dense, rocky planets are closer to the star than the large gas giants.
STOP USING KINDERGARTEN ASTRONOMY! You're wrong, our star is actually the exception to the rule, normally gas giants are closer.
Not necessarily, many of the close orbiting gas giants we have found are only located because they cause more of the effect that allows us to find extrasolar planets. For all we know, these Hot Jupiters may be relatively rare and only appear common because that's all we could find for many years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deathbite42
Regular


Posts : 212
Reputation : -3
Join date : 2012-07-27

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:17 pm

GamerXA wrote:
Deathbite42 wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
But will planets have similar materials if they are next to each other, or is that more 'in the next ten years' realisticness of programming?
We can probably define likely materials through position, but it doesn't really matter that much. Theoretically, any planet could get any element, and therefore make just about any sort of material.
I think it's important for us to stick to the generally accepted science of star systems, being that more dense, rocky planets are closer to the star than the large gas giants.
STOP USING KINDERGARTEN ASTRONOMY! You're wrong, our star is actually the exception to the rule, normally gas giants are closer.
Not necessarily, many of the close orbiting gas giants we have found are only located because they cause more of the effect that allows us to find extrasolar planets. For all we know, these Hot Jupiters may be relatively rare and only appear common because that's all we could find for many years.
Wouldn't far away gas giants produce a better effect due to a bigger orbit?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GamerXA
Regular


Posts : 285
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 28
Location : Australia, Queensland

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:47 pm

Deathbite42 wrote:
GamerXA wrote:
Deathbite42 wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
But will planets have similar materials if they are next to each other, or is that more 'in the next ten years' realisticness of programming?
We can probably define likely materials through position, but it doesn't really matter that much. Theoretically, any planet could get any element, and therefore make just about any sort of material.
I think it's important for us to stick to the generally accepted science of star systems, being that more dense, rocky planets are closer to the star than the large gas giants.
STOP USING KINDERGARTEN ASTRONOMY! You're wrong, our star is actually the exception to the rule, normally gas giants are closer.
Not necessarily, many of the close orbiting gas giants we have found are only located because they cause more of the effect that allows us to find extrasolar planets. For all we know, these Hot Jupiters may be relatively rare and only appear common because that's all we could find for many years.
Wouldn't far away gas giants produce a better effect due to a bigger orbit?
I am not an expert on this subject, however I believe that the method used is the amount of wobble a star has because of the gas giant's gravity. Which is greater the closer it is to the star, in accordance with Fg = Gm1m2 / r2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deathbite42
Regular


Posts : 212
Reputation : -3
Join date : 2012-07-27

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:13 am

GamerXA wrote:
Deathbite42 wrote:
GamerXA wrote:
Deathbite42 wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
But will planets have similar materials if they are next to each other, or is that more 'in the next ten years' realisticness of programming?
We can probably define likely materials through position, but it doesn't really matter that much. Theoretically, any planet could get any element, and therefore make just about any sort of material.
I think it's important for us to stick to the generally accepted science of star systems, being that more dense, rocky planets are closer to the star than the large gas giants.
STOP USING KINDERGARTEN ASTRONOMY! You're wrong, our star is actually the exception to the rule, normally gas giants are closer.
Not necessarily, many of the close orbiting gas giants we have found are only located because they cause more of the effect that allows us to find extrasolar planets. For all we know, these Hot Jupiters may be relatively rare and only appear common because that's all we could find for many years.
Wouldn't far away gas giants produce a better effect due to a bigger orbit?
I am not an expert on this subject, however I believe that the method used is the amount of wobble a star has because of the gas giant's gravity. Which is greater the closer it is to the star, in accordance with Fg = Gm1m2 / r2.
But the farther it is, the farther it'll "try" to pull.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 am

Incorrect, its pull is weaker, and the star exerts a much larger force than any planet orbiting it will.
the closer the planet is, the more force it exerts. It's some of the most basic physics out there.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deathbite42
Regular


Posts : 212
Reputation : -3
Join date : 2012-07-27

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:23 am

I never said you were wrong. But if it was as far as OUR gas giants, it would try to pull further than a Hot Jupiter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Deathbite42 wrote:
I never said you were wrong. But if it was as far as OUR gas giants, it would try to pull further than a Hot Jupiter.
For what reason?


A gas giant which is further away from the star exerts less gravitational pull on the star, and so the star 'wobbles' less. This makes it harder to detect with the widely used system of checking a star for wobble to detect planets.

There is an alternate method, which involves seeing the shadow cast by a planet passing in front of a star. With more distant stars, which are just points when seen through most microscopes, this is just seen as a dimming of it's brightness. Again, the effect is less noticeable when the planet is further away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deathbite42
Regular


Posts : 212
Reputation : -3
Join date : 2012-07-27

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:18 pm

You have misunderstood. If it is farther, it'll TRY harder.
But see, a star is both round and massive, so even if it is far away from it, there will be a time when the planet casts its "shadow". And if it is farther away, it will take longer to go around. If it takes longer, it must be slower at completing. This means it will be a dimming instead of a blink, which is good because due to pollution, a star will blink, planet or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GamerXA
Regular


Posts : 285
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 28
Location : Australia, Queensland

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:52 pm

The further a planet is from it's star, and the further we are away from the system, when the planet eclipses the star it will obscure less of it. In the case of wobble detection, forces due to gravity decrease as distance between the objects decrease. If this was not so the universe as we know it could not exist.

Now, in an attempt to get back on topic. Shouldn't a generated system be composed of different materials (and thus planets) depending on its position in the galaxy when the accretion disc formed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deathbite42
Regular


Posts : 212
Reputation : -3
Join date : 2012-07-27

PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:08 pm

GamerXA wrote:
The further a planet is from it's star, and the further we are away from the system, when the planet eclipses the star it will obscure less of it. In the case of wobble detection, forces due to gravity decrease as distance between the objects decrease. If this was not so the universe as we know it could not exist.

Now, in an attempt to get back on topic. Shouldn't a generated system be composed of different materials (and thus planets) depending on its position in the galaxy when the accretion disc formed.
No, it won't obscure less. In the case of eclipsing, I know the FORCE will be weaker, but it will TRY harder.
Yes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: PPG- Procedural Planet Generator   Today at 10:03 pm

Back to top Go down
 
PPG- Procedural Planet Generator
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Editors :: Planet-
Jump to: