Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Microbe Stage GDD

Go down 
+8
Tritium
moopli
crovea
Dalroc
Nimbal
Oliveriver
~sciocont
NickTheNick
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage GDD   Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 4:35 am

I think that idea sounds interesting, but until we actually iron out the concept for it, I feel it's better that we just stick to reproductase as a placeholder.
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage GDD   Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 10:42 am

As I see it moopli suggests changing the name of the process from the imaginary enzyme reproductase to something more relevant to the replication process, in reality the thing goes kinda this way-with enough food(aka energy) for the cell anabolic methabolic pathways set in(cell goes into building mode, proteins, lipids, whatever it needs), so current system is kinda accurate - enough ATP means synthesis, cell divides when cytoplasm volume increases twice if i remember correctly then replication enzymes kick in and the DNA string in the nucleus is copied and mitosis occurs.
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage GDD   Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 4:50 pm

Tritium wrote:
with enough food...cell goes into building mode...cell divides when cytoplasm volume increases twice...DNA copied...mitosis
That's more or less why I was suggesting a two-phase replication bar earlier -- simply changing the name was more of my compromise suggestion.

Anyway, here's something that cropped up in a discussion with Nick yesterday:

Since Microbe stage covers the development of eukaryotic life, it starts at least a billion years after the dawn of life. Cyanobacteria (or an equivalent) have filled the oceans, quite a bit of land too, and are the source of the now-heavily-oxygenated atmosphere. Prokaryotes of all kinds are everywhere; especially in the sorts of rich pools where early eukaryotic life would probably have thrived. So I suggest we reflect that in Thrive, and have all sorts of prokaryotes present in the water. Prokaryotes are generally tiny compared to eukaryotes, so many would only be noticeable in clouds; but we also need bacteria more on the scale of organelles, since mitochondria and chloroplasts, at least, are acquired through phagocytosis of the right bacteria. Since the game doesn't start at the dawn of life, it doesn't make sense to have large amounts of random compounds (like glucose) floating around. Luckily, with prokaryotes everywhere, we won't need those random clouds of compound appearing on their own, since prokaryotes can provide that food supply instead. What's more, this gives the lysosome a clear role in-game -- digesting phagocytosed bacteria.

That covers more or less what we came up with. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage GDD   Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 5:14 pm

So compound clouds are being replaced with bacteria? That would be better for protozoan cells as they feed on bacteria: In this pic the big cell in the middle is eukaryotic Paramecium i think, and the little white dots are bacteria.
Picture:
But phytoplankton still needs inorganic compounds from the environment.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage GDD   Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 6:14 pm

Tritium wrote:
So compound clouds are being replaced with bacteria? That would be better for protozoan cells as they feed on bacteria: In this pic the big cell in the middle is eukaryotic Paramecium i think, and the little white dots are bacteria.

I'm pretty sure it's implied that there are inorganic compounds floating around, just too small to be of much concern for the eukaryotes.

I don't know about them replacing compound clouds. From what I know, people'll go the Civilization angle and just have the glucose cloud be cyanobacteria swimming around. Y'know how Civ shows resources like ivory and furs as the animal they're from walking around on the resource tile?

Chasing bacteria down would be fun, though, last I heard, they went with glucose tiles and such. I don't have any qualms with a quick change, however.

Pointless Humor:

Incidentally, will compound clouds/bacteria tiles have a few models moving around to indicate their presence, or will there be a particle effect instead?
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage GDD   Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 4:20 pm

Tritium wrote:
'Tis true; we'll still have oxygen, Carbon dioxide, and something for nitrogen most likely. Inorganic phosphate too, if we ever add that.
MitochondriaBox wrote:
From what I know, people'll ... last I heard, they ...
Which people? Do you mean us, the ones deciding on the features, or us the people writing the code, or some other people? I'm very confused, cuz I'm not sure what "they" you're talking about.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage GDD   Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 6:28 pm

moopli wrote:
Tritium wrote:
'Tis true; we'll still have oxygen, Carbon dioxide, and something for nitrogen most likely. Inorganic phosphate too, if we ever add that.
MitochondriaBox wrote:
From what I know, people'll ... last I heard, they ...
Which people? Do you mean us, the ones deciding on the features, or us the people writing the code, or some other people? I'm very confused, cuz I'm not sure what "they" you're talking about.

Basically, the people who were deciding the features. I remember somewhere about plans to replace the floating emitters with compound-providing hexes.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage GDD   Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 2:56 pm

People outside the Slack group won't know this yet, but I'm working on an updated GDD at the moment to replace the old one.

My original Slack message:

'OK, so since I'm now free of exams (well, one left), I've decided I'm going to add as much as possible to the GDD before copying it to the Wiki, given that right now we don't have much public documentation which isn't particularly encouraging for newcomers. I'll stick to what's been decided, but for a lot of things I might have to make assumptions based on previous discussions. It'll still be completely editable so things can be changed, but at least we'll know what exactly is up for debate in future.'

You can now track its progress here:
http://thrivegame.wikidot.com/microbe-stage-gdd
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
tjwhale
Theorist
tjwhale

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage GDD   Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

Great work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage GDD   Microbe Stage GDD - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Microbe Stage GDD
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4