Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

  J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Invader
Experienced
avatar

Posts : 528
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-07-10
Age : 20

PostSubject: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:51 am

So. Way back under the control of Sven the Terrible, we invented a little concept named J-rod. He/she/it/whatever is a guide of sorts, informing you on current events and acting as a sort of encyclopedia. Now, we could double J-rod as a tool for teaching the world's... not-so-intelligent youth by integrating fun gameplay and learning using Mr. Rod here.


Anyway, I haven't read about J-rod in ages, so the concept is a bit rusty in my head. Correct me if I got anything wrong.



Also, it seems I've done your job for you again, Scio.


(The J stands for Joseph. The Rod stands for Rod.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:33 am

If you are going to make him, just make sure he can be turned off right at the start. I hate guides that are trying to "help" me when I can figure it out easily.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ADMIN
Admin


Posts : 30
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2010-07-06
Location : Watching.

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:59 am

Why is his name joseph?

But anyway, J-Rod was basically your help system in-game. If you pressed the help button, he would come down from the sky and assist you, in an animaion sort of like a mars lander, with a parachute and landing rockets.

_________________
ADMIN is always watching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thrivegame.canadaboard.net
Noitulove
Regular


Posts : 237
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:03 am

If you know me, you'll know I have stood against this idea from the start of this project (even when it was called Evolutions!) and will continue to do so.

Especially if he just drifts down in front of your creature like a mars lander. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:37 am

Noitulove wrote:
If you know me, you'll know I have stood against this idea from the start of this project (even when it was called Evolutions!) and will continue to do so.

Especially if he just drifts down in front of your creature like a mars lander. Sorry.

I sort of agree with that last bit, no lander. Thats just too much.

"Help, I'm being chased by a T-rex thing. I know, I'll use the help to tell be what to do. Nothing's happening. Hey, miles behind me now, because I've been sprinting, is a lander. Yay, achievement achieved!

I've been eaten! The help failed me !"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:43 am

I suppose that is a bit of a problem. I still like the Idea of J-rod, it just gives the game a little personality.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:02 pm

But the game should freeze when you press help and he appears.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:10 pm

The Uteen wrote:
But the game should freeze when you press help and he appears.
Sure, why not.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:26 pm

Now that you are talking about freezing time, this J-Rod reminds me of G-Man in Half-Life 2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
YourBreakfast
Learner
avatar

Posts : 114
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:53 pm

That makes two of use Noit. If we make this game right, I can't see why we need a cheesy J-Rod to irritate us in our game. It reminds me of that Belgium paper clip in Word (I think that's where it was). That was just doing my head in.

Also, for the record, the last forum (the one after Evo and Dictator Sven) was the first time I've heard of this J-Rod.

Basically, if a person is totally confused with our game, their either too young or too stupid to play games. (Sorry if I'm being harsh)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invader
Experienced
avatar

Posts : 528
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-07-10
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:03 pm

ADMIN wrote:
Why is his name joseph?


It was a joke.



'Rod should have:


On-Off switch

Freeze time

NOT come up automatically- must be summoned

Is not represented by any actual object in-game.

Should not have a body.

Should only be text or a voice. Preferably text.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
avatar

Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 24
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:06 pm

Exactly, Zim. J-Rod is basically the help file. You click help through the game menu, and J-Rod's computer screen will appear. Of course, what makes it more than a help file is that J-Rod will know what situation you are in at that moment and bring that up first, and will also offer hints, strategies, and anything else helpful to the game. Think of him like the Civilopedia and Advisors or Popups in the Civilization games.

Some things J-Rod might say:

"Your people in (SC Name Here) are growing restless. Increase order by improving happiness levels or increasing military presence or you might find yourself with a rebellion on your hands!"

"Your species is learning to use tools! This is a big step on the journey to sapience!"

"Your relations with (Nation Name Here) are rapidly worsening. You might want to consider some diplomacy options or preparing for war."

Words in bold would have links to corresponding articles in J-Rod's file.

J-Rod would NOT be a physical presence in the game, only to the player. He would NOT be annoying or permanent. He WOULD be a helpful way to keep track of your gameplay and it's actions, especially in later stages. He WOULD be more like a notification box than a tutorial.

That's how i see J-Rod.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koiboi59
Learner
avatar

Posts : 125
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2010-07-20
Location : Free Country USA

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:44 am

i think the way to he should be summoned is that there would be a bar or button on your in-game menu, click it and he pops up (idk what he would look like, maybe a floating head of some sort or just a silhouetted shape) and he gives u advice on what your current situation is. although what should his voice sound like? or we could probably just choose text and as a tribute to old video games he could make beeping noises while he talks (or not i guess).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:23 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Exactly, Zim. J-Rod is basically the help file. You click help through the game menu, and J-Rod's computer screen will appear. Of course, what makes it more than a help file is that J-Rod will know what situation you are in at that moment and bring that up first, and will also offer hints, strategies, and anything else helpful to the game. Think of him like the Civilopedia and Advisors or Popups in the Civilization games.

Some things J-Rod might say:

"Your people in (SC Name Here) are growing restless. Increase order by improving happiness levels or increasing military presence or you might find yourself with a rebellion on your hands!"

"Your species is learning to use tools! This is a big step on the journey to sapience!"

"Your relations with (Nation Name Here) are rapidly worsening. You might want to consider some diplomacy options or preparing for war."

Words in bold would have links to corresponding articles in J-Rod's file.

J-Rod would NOT be a physical presence in the game, only to the player. He would NOT be annoying or permanent. He WOULD be a helpful way to keep track of your gameplay and it's actions, especially in later stages. He WOULD be more like a notification box than a tutorial.

That's how i see J-Rod.
I think that's a good idea, J-rod basically being a help file that tracks your gameplay.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
YourBreakfast
Learner
avatar

Posts : 114
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:01 pm

~sciocont wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Exactly, Zim. J-Rod is basically the help file. You click help through the game menu, and J-Rod's computer screen will appear. Of course, what makes it more than a help file is that J-Rod will know what situation you are in at that moment and bring that up first, and will also offer hints, strategies, and anything else helpful to the game. Think of him like the Civilopedia and Advisors or Popups in the Civilization games.

Some things J-Rod might say:

"Your people in (SC Name Here) are growing restless. Increase order by improving happiness levels or increasing military presence or you might find yourself with a rebellion on your hands!"

"Your species is learning to use tools! This is a big step on the journey to sapience!"

"Your relations with (Nation Name Here) are rapidly worsening. You might want to consider some diplomacy options or preparing for war."

Words in bold would have links to corresponding articles in J-Rod's file.

J-Rod would NOT be a physical presence in the game, only to the player. He would NOT be annoying or permanent. He WOULD be a helpful way to keep track of your gameplay and it's actions, especially in later stages. He WOULD be more like a notification box than a tutorial.

That's how i see J-Rod.
I think that's a good idea, J-rod basically being a help file that tracks your gameplay.

Well, a help button wouldn't hurt. But I just don't think a lot of our players will use it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
avatar

Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 24
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:10 pm

YourBreakfast wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
I think that's a good idea, J-rod basically being a help file that tracks your gameplay.

Well, a help button wouldn't hurt. But I just don't think a lot of our players will use it.
I know i will. I couldn't live without my notification box and the civilopedia on Civ IV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DragonEye4
Regular
avatar

Posts : 220
Reputation : -1
Join date : 2010-07-14
Location : Somewhere

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:36 pm

He needs a better name.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loner
Newcomer
avatar

Posts : 6
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-08-27
Location : Secret island where only i Know

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:39 am

J-Rod? Maybe Can He Take Form Of Your Conscience and help you When Confused Like How The Gameplay Works etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Noitulove
Regular


Posts : 237
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:08 pm

Loner wrote:
J-Rod? Maybe Can He Take Form Of Your Conscience and help you When Confused Like How The Gameplay Works etc.

Um...conscience? No, I think we were going for more of just a help-thing, rather than J-Rod conflicting with your consience.

I'm forgetting what consience means, anyway. Oh, and please learn about capitalization.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loner
Newcomer
avatar

Posts : 6
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-08-27
Location : Secret island where only i Know

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:12 pm

Sorry. Just some idea
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roadkillguy
Experienced
avatar

Posts : 528
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2010-08-25
Age : 24
Location : Rhode Island

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:56 am

How about an ominous fade in window that narrates the game?

Everyone should remember

Clippy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
YourBreakfast
Learner
avatar

Posts : 114
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:54 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
How about an ominous fade in window that narrates the game?

Everyone should remember

Clippy.

Yeah, I mentioned that Spore (new cuss) on the first page. I HATE CLIPPY!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roadkillguy
Experienced
avatar

Posts : 528
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2010-08-25
Age : 24
Location : Rhode Island

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:01 pm

What a spore he is.. haha that's fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Loner
Newcomer
avatar

Posts : 6
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-08-27
Location : Secret island where only i Know

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Or Maybe he can be a manifestation (Looks like your creature or microbe) of your creature like in the society stage he or whatever could be your advisor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invader
Experienced
avatar

Posts : 528
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-07-10
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:42 am

He needs a new name. I will list some.


Minerva (Greek godess of wisdom)
Help Screen
Atlas (Reference spam)
The All-Knowing Mind
Jeff
Help-o-tron
The Mind
Martha, your assistant
Any other normal name.
Chuck Norris



...At this point I'm just typing to make the list longer...

EDIT: Scio, I thought you replaced Belgium with Spore!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.   

Back to top Go down
 
J-Rod, the Guide and Informer of Thrive.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Game Features-
Jump to: