Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Hello! (I come from spore!) Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Hello! (I come from spore!)

Go down 
+3
Tarpy
Immortal_Dragon
Mocha2007
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mocha2007

Hello! (I come from spore!) Empty
PostSubject: Hello! (I come from spore!)   Hello! (I come from spore!) EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 12:38 pm

I played spore and greatly enjoyed it, so naturally I am pretty excited after stumbling across this. Not much to say, except, I suppose, some ideas:

I assume eclipses could happen (If the planet has a moon or if it's a binary or something), but I would like to slightly recommend that during an eclipse during, maybe, the awakening and society ages, species in the umbra become 'scared' -This seems fairly common, at least in human culture, after all, they have no clue what's going on- and so they incur some kind of penalty where they try to hide you have to motivate them more to do something.

I'm also assuming comets have also been recommended, but make sure they have both tails.

Also, tell me if either of these've been reccomended:
*Meteors/Meteor showers
*The ability to 'nudge' your creature's language

Some qs:
*Once the game is "done" about how long will each stage last?
*Will you have to start over each save, or can you skip stages you've completed in a new save, like in spore?
*How many stars are in the galaxy?
*Will there be other galaxies? (Perhaps accessible by the supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy? Hint hint)
*FTL technology/wormholes?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Hello! (I come from spore!)   Hello! (I come from spore!) EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 1:27 pm

Welcome to the project, first of all.

I think meteor showers are going to be in, but I'm not sure.

The language a creature uses, I think is going to depend on their mouths, so the player will have control through shaping the mouth, again I am unsure on that.

Each stage in Thrive is planned to be played for however long the player wants to, if they want to be a microbe forever, that is completely okay. Thrive is a non-linear sandbox.

I am not sure on starting over each save, I personally don't mind it, but I'm not speaking for everyone.

There will be very, very many stars in the Thrive galaxy, I think the plan is to have enough to take years in RL to see them all. And Thrive will only have the one galaxy.

And yes, there is FTL technology planned, 3 different ones in the books.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Hello! (I come from spore!)   Hello! (I come from spore!) EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Mocha2007 wrote:
I played spore and greatly enjoyed it, so naturally I am pretty excited after stumbling across this. Not much to say, except, I suppose, some ideas:

I assume eclipses could happen (If the planet has a moon or if it's a binary or something), but I would like to slightly recommend that during an eclipse during, maybe, the awakening and society ages, species in the umbra become 'scared' -This seems fairly common, at least in human culture, after all, they have no clue what's going on- and so they incur some kind of penalty where they try to hide you have to motivate them more to do something.

I'm also assuming comets have also been recommended, but make sure they have both tails.

Also, tell me if either of these've been reccomended:
*Meteors/Meteor showers
*The ability to 'nudge' your creature's language

Some qs:
*Once the game is "done" about how long will each stage last?
*Will you have to start over each save, or can you skip stages you've completed in a new save, like in spore?
*How many stars are in the galaxy?
*Will there be other galaxies? (Perhaps accessible by the supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy? Hint hint)
*FTL technology/wormholes?

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum, Mocha!

Eclipses would happen yes, they wouldn't even have to be hard coded into the engine since the lightning engine will be able to detect if there is an obstacle in front of the source of the light. That brings us to the problem, too. You wouldn't really be able to have those effects since the game doesn't actually know when an eclipse is happening and when not, so it would be a pain to code.

Comets wouldn't be easy to implement, you would have to implement a whole new segment of the particle system, optimize everything etc. Although they are certainly on the potential features list, there is no guarantee to them being implemented.

Meteor showers would be relatively easy to implement on the other hand.

I do not understand what you mean by nudging, and there will be no actual language in the game

*Depends on which. Microbe stage could be somewhere around 1 hour, Org would be 3-4 hours, and so would the society and industrial stages together.
*No. It would be way too hard to simulate something that the player would have to interact with for hours.
*Unknown right now
*No
*Yes
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Hello! (I come from spore!)   Hello! (I come from spore!) EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 10:31 pm

Hey Mocha, welcome to Thrive. I believe the current plan for new saves is that once you reach ascension you will have complete control over the galaxy, including making new organisms from scratch, at any stage of evolution. Of course, it's most fun to start at the beginning, just like in Spore. Welcome again!
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
penumbra espinosa
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Hello! (I come from spore!)   Hello! (I come from spore!) EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 12:35 am

welcome mocha, as for your ideas, it sounds plausible but i think that an eclipse would just be a normal event, since it would be the result of the physics mechanics (orbits and that stuff).

how the player's society will react is up to how they have evolved in terms of culture, but its not a scripted event. much like it would be for example, the asteroid in SPORE's creature stage (which BTW i never found its meaning in the game)...

for your questions:

1. the time of each stage should be defined by the player in how much it takes for him to achieve the requirements for the next one, and i think we can revisit them, of course, for messing around with the environment

2. there will be several star systems, but only one big galaxy.

3. FTL/wormhole travelling must have been covered in tech discussions, i dont really know, but i think its planned.
Back to top Go down
timetraveler
Newcomer
timetraveler

PostSubject: Re: Hello! (I come from spore!)   Hello! (I come from spore!) EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 6:34 pm

I also come from spore. I personally love GA. Will I be able to make my own planets with everything I've created and place it on the planet, like spore GA?
Back to top Go down
penumbra espinosa
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Hello! (I come from spore!)   Hello! (I come from spore!) EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 7:09 pm

timetraveler wrote:
I also come from spore.  I personally love GA.  Will I be able to make my own planets with everything I've created and place it on the planet, like spore GA?
once you have achieved ascendancy you'll get to god tools which will allow to create, destroy and modify things in the galaxy...
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Hello! (I come from spore!)   Hello! (I come from spore!) EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 7:11 pm

Don't join the team if you just want to know more about the concept. For that you can just read around our forum, wiki etc. Join the team if you would like to contribute as a game developer with one of the skills mentioned in the READ BEFORE POSTING thread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello! (I come from spore!)   Hello! (I come from spore!) Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello! (I come from spore!)
Page 1 of 1