Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
0.2.1 and Beyond Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

0.2.1 and Beyond

Go down 
AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

0.2.1 and Beyond Empty
Post0.2.1 and Beyond

Given my lackluster attendance on the forums here of late, it's difficult for me to say exactly how much has been going on in the latter half of this year. Since the last devblog, we've been making a lot of headway, and I'm quite pleased with the state of the project as it is now. However, if you download our latest release, you'll quickly find that it, ostensibly, is bafflingly incomplete.
Thrive has yet to become a game.
Despite this, I'm happy with where we're at. If you peel away the immediate simplicity of release 0.2.1, it becomes clear that the, if you will, cytoskeleton, of microbe stage is at its core strong. Major components of the eventual game are lying in wait, unused by this current iteration but ready to be implemented when we've built enough for them to be useful. At this point, building becomes easier, so long as our blueprints are clear, and each step forward is more noticeable. Soon, you won't open Thrive.exe and see yourself, compound emitters, and scattered identical AIs. You'll see AI cells of many shapes and sizes absorbing and emitting compounds, attacking each other and defending themselves. Further iterations will bring a microbe editor, procedural evolution and population dynamics, a dynamic background with competing bacterial colonies for you to feast upon or shy away from, and a complex environment of furrowed rock that restricts your movement across the plane of the game - unless you have the tools to destroy it. All this and more is planned.
While my vision for the microbe stage is grand, it's just a vision without the talent and hard work of the team here. To all of the programmers, artists and designers who have been working on building, shaping, and organizing work on the microbe stage, I owe a debt of gratitude. You've been doing a fantastic job this year, keeping the project strong and my spirits high.
As we look forward into the often inscrutable fog of the future, I'd like to take time to wish the whole development team a happy and productive 2014, ideally full of all the wonders I mentioned above. It's always a pleasure working with you all, as geographically and culturally dispersed as we are, and I hope our collaboration will yield even more positive results in the coming months. As always, keep soldiering on.

~scio

Last edited by ~sciocont on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

0.2.1 and Beyond :: Comments

NickTheNick
Re: 0.2.1 and Beyond
Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:17 pm by NickTheNick
With what we have now I think it'll be much easier to start adding in things like organelles, evolution, agents, etc. Also, once we have a well-developed Microbe Stage, I think it's high time we start looking to other forums for game developers to come join us, for after the Microbe Stage comes the Multicellular and Aware stages, which are one of the main focuses of the game, but also much more challenging to make. Having the first stage to show them as proof of concept always makes it easier to get people to join.
Tarpy
Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:02 am by Tarpy
NickTheNick wrote:
With what we have now I think it'll be much easier to start adding in things like organelles, evolution, agents, etc. Also, once we have a well-developed Microbe Stage, I think it's high time we start looking to other forums for game developers to come join us, for after the Microbe Stage comes the Multicellular and Aware stages, which are one of the main focuses of the game, but also much more challenging to make. Having the first stage to show them as proof of concept always makes it easier to get people to join.

I think that instead of just going to random forums and advertising ourselves, we should make a thread where we actually discuss on what forums we should advertise ourselves and in what way.
Oliveriver
Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:08 am by Oliveriver
I agree that we need to actually plan any marketing/advertising strategies we use, but as ~scio mentioned, Thrive still isn't what most people would consider a game, which will still make it difficult to attract attention. We should probably wait until most of the other features are implemented, at least in basic form, before going anywhere with this.
NickTheNick
Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:56 pm by NickTheNick
Yes that is my intention as well. Basically once we've gotten a full 1.0.0 released. By the way ~scio, the current release is 0.2.1.
JackTheBlackWolf
Good luck:)
Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:10 am by JackTheBlackWolf
I wish you good luck at this project guys :D 
WilliamstheJohn
Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:21 am by WilliamstheJohn
I hope this is gonna go well.
Post  by Sponsored content

0.2.1 and Beyond

Page 1 of 1