Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 2014-02-14-002-project#Move project to sourceforge

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
darwin.the.gamer
Newcomer


Posts : 15
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: 2014-02-14-002-project#Move project to sourceforge   Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:29 pm

In an effort to improve current project documentation (and later moving the project code), I suggest moving to Sourceforge.

Acording to h t t p ://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open-source_software_hosting_facilities it seems to be one of the best (most complete) alternatives, including GIT, Wiki, forums...

My proposal is to start writing the documentation there, creating a new forum and use the platform after needed discussions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seregon
Regular


Posts : 263
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2011-08-10
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: 2014-02-14-002-project#Move project to sourceforge   Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:55 pm

As per my reply to your post on the misc. thread, please provide some more details on why you think this is a good idea. Github already has a wiki (which we currently have disabled to avoid duplication), and we could potentially use issues as an alternative to the forums (I'm not suggesting that's a good idea, as it's not what they're intended to do), so what does sourceforge offer beyond that, and why is that worth the effort of moving all the content we currently have here, on the wiki and on github?

Your addressing a lot of valid points (we need to get the wiki up to date, we could do with better integrating the forums, wiki and repo), but simply suggesting we start from scratch on a new platform is asking a lot when the benefits over what we have are marginal anyway.

If you have experience of using sourceforge, or some other platform, and can give specific reasons you think it'd benefit us, then great, we can discuss those and consider making some changes. If not, then there's a lot of people here with experience of using what we have right now, and our effort would be better spent improving how we do that than moving somewhere new.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crovea
Programming Team lead


Posts : 310
Reputation : 59
Join date : 2013-10-07
Age : 26
Location : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: 2014-02-14-002-project#Move project to sourceforge   Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:26 pm

Just straight up feature count, it is 10 features to 10 features with sourceforge vs github, so I'm not sure what you mean with more complete

We don't really need a second forum or wiki, are there any advantages to using sourceforges versions?

The github feature of private/personal branches we use such that new people can create their own version of Thrive and make any changes they want without messing anything up on the official github. People can still create branches and have them merged with the official repository through pull requests. Giving everyone access to the official github or not letting people do any contributions without having first proven themselves both seem like bad alternatives. How does sourceforge handle this?

As seregon mentioned you'll have to give more reasons to put the work into moving to sourceforge


_________________
- jjonj on github/reddit, jjonjex/Jacob Jensen on skype
Back to top Go down
View user profile
darwin.the.gamer
Newcomer


Posts : 15
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: 2014-02-14-002-project#Move project to sourceforge   Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:13 am

Seregon wrote:
As per my reply to your post on the misc. thread, please provide some more details on why you think this is a good idea.  Github already has a wiki (which we currently have disabled to avoid duplication), and we could potentially use issues as an alternative to the forums (I'm not suggesting that's a good idea, as it's not what they're intended to do), so what does sourceforge offer beyond that, and why is that worth the effort of moving all the content we currently have here, on the wiki and on github?
The reason why I suggested sourceforge were: GIT, WIKI, FORUM, altough I miss code review (will it be added in the future?)
Reason not to use github: missed forums (you are right: issues could be used), maillist and shell server, but could be a valid option also.
The reason to move out from here: easy of administration, centralized information, phpBB forums are much more exploited, this forums is in serious need of cleaning...
(In other words: to get out of HERE)

As suggested before, if its possible to grant permissions on a space/page basis on github wiki, i offer myself to start cleaning things.

Seregon wrote:

Your addressing a lot of valid points (we need to get the wiki up to date, we could do with better integrating the forums, wiki and repo), but simply suggesting we start from scratch on a new platform is asking a lot when the benefits over what we have are marginal anyway.
Not starting from the scratch, but reviewing as much as we can to have an up-2-date documentation, while keeping this organized for the future.


Seregon wrote:

If you have experience of using sourceforge, or some other platform, and can give specific reasons you think it'd benefit us, then great, we can discuss those and consider making some changes.  If not, then there's a lot of people here with experience of using what we have right now, and our effort would be better spent improving how we do that than moving somewhere new.
You can replace sourceforge with github, if you feel better with that.
IMHO, current forum is a mess and wiki need some cleaning/organization to make it simple/faster to find information.






crovea wrote:
Just straight up feature count, it is 10 features to 10 features with sourceforge vs github, so I'm not sure what you mean with more complete
Please, read again my proposal: "seems to be one of the best (most complete)". Ang github is 9, if you "properly count"


crovea wrote:

We don't really need a second forum or wiki, are there any advantages to using sourceforges versions?
As previously said: moving out from phpBB and having an up-2-date well organized documentation.

crovea wrote:

The github feature of private/personal branches we use such that new people can create their own version of Thrive and make any changes they want without messing anything up on the official github. People can still create branches and have them merged with the official repository through pull requests. Giving everyone access to the official github or not letting people do any contributions without having first proven themselves both seem like bad alternatives. How does sourceforge handle this?
I't doesnt. You can have your traditional local copy, not private branches.
I more or less agree with you it could be a great extra for sourceforge (if they have it)

crovea wrote:

As seregon mentioned you'll have to give more reasons to put the work into moving to sourceforge

At least the discussion is taking place
Please, check if replacing sourceforge with github and forum with issues suits you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crovea
Programming Team lead


Posts : 310
Reputation : 59
Join date : 2013-10-07
Age : 26
Location : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: 2014-02-14-002-project#Move project to sourceforge   Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:04 am

darwin.the.gamer wrote:
altough I miss code review
This is incredibly important, and we have been utilizing this highly. It's also one of the main benefits of me being on the project as it gives me a great tool for developing myself as a programmer and a computer scientist in general. As far as I can tell, github is the only platform offering the pull requests style we use.


darwin.the.gamer wrote:
maillist and shell server

The github newsfeed is great and I would not replace it with a mailing list, however I can't speak for others. Looking into the details of a Shell server, I find that it could certainly be useful for some of the more advanced git-related commands so thats a plus, but i haven't yet seen it be necessary by any means.

darwin.the.gamer wrote:

As previously said: moving out from phpBB and having an up-2-date well organized documentation.

I'm not particulairly attached to the current forum structure, so I wouldn't be opposed to a change IF it is worth the hazzle (however, I'm relatively new still and there are a lot of higher up people that would need to chime in). Regarding documentation, if you compile the project yourself, you will find up to date documentation on the code, everything not directly related to the code belongs in the wiki which i feel is a seperate issue.

darwin.the.gamer wrote:

Please, check if replacing sourceforge with github and forum with issues suits you.

At your request i made some more research into the relative advantages and disadvantages of the two and it seems there is a general consensus that github is the better choice, mainly due to the submission process (pull requests and personal brances). If you can find some noteworthy articles with the opposite viewpoint I'll check them out!
I would never replace a forum with github issues (am I misunderstanding you?). The github issues are meant and made for code or atleast concrete tasks and we make great use of them that way. Huge amounts of additional clutter would be damaging.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4093181/where-to-host-an-open-source-project-codeplex-google-code-sourceforge
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14671744/sourceforge-vs-github
http://www.biostars.org/p/7899/

_________________
- jjonj on github/reddit, jjonjex/Jacob Jensen on skype
Back to top Go down
View user profile
darwin.the.gamer
Newcomer


Posts : 15
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Proposal: Move to Github   Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:16 pm

For the sake of brevity, here's my response:


  • Github seems to be the best choice. My proposal is to move everything there (and escape from the wiki, but specially from this forum).
  • I still consider Github issues a valid alternative to forum, cause they can be easily tagged and categorized. They have an id also, so they can be easily linked on the wiki. Please, reconsider. Maybe we could create a project and test?
  • IMHO wiki needs some cleaning. Perhaps some summary pages linking to more detailed ones. As I asked/proposed before, if someone grant me permissions, i could start working on a draft on a separate page. And if you like it, then use it.


Regards

EDIT:
I have tested github issues and fits like a charm for both, dev and ideas (using labels).


Last edited by darwin.the.gamer on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Github issues work like a charm!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: 2014-02-14-002-project#Move project to sourceforge   Today at 1:42 am

Back to top Go down
 
2014-02-14-002-project#Move project to sourceforge
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: General :: Forum Support and Suggestions-
Jump to: