Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 Olympic Games

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MassimoV
Newcomer


Posts : 20
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-09-04
Location : Maggies Jungle put-put golf

PostSubject: Olympic Games   Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:04 pm

I don't know if this would work but what about having fall and summer olympic games. If your having a war it will stop to go to the games. You can also decide how mutch effort and money you put into a sport or all sports in general.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lukas99
Newcomer


Posts : 41
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 21
Location : Error 404 location not found.

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:18 pm

Well, not nessecarily olympics, but some kind of sporting event should exsist. It also would bring great wealth to the nation that hosted the global games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MassimoV
Newcomer


Posts : 20
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-09-04
Location : Maggies Jungle put-put golf

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:25 pm

Well I'm glad you like my idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Poisson
Regular


Posts : 322
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 21
Location : AK (GMT -9)

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Well if we already have sports as part of the culture then if they become popular enough a sort of Olympic games type deal could arise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lukas99
Newcomer


Posts : 41
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 21
Location : Error 404 location not found.

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:38 pm

Poisson wrote:
Well if we already have sports as part of the culture then if they become popular enough a sort of Olympic games type deal could arise.
Exactly what I was thinking, also mabye even an olympics minimgame. Of course it would only be entered through organism mode.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invader
Experienced


Posts : 528
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-07-10
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:00 pm

Poisson wrote:
Well if we already have sports as part of the culture then if they become popular enough a sort of Olympic games type deal could arise.


I agree. It should only occur on sports-oriented planets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:48 pm

If you were to negotiate with enough nations, all sorts of things like this will be possible.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
YourBreakfast
Learner


Posts : 114
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:50 pm

Good concept, we may even go as far as your organism playing in them? Maybe??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:54 pm

YourBreakfast wrote:
Good concept, we may even go as far as your organism playing in them? Maybe??
You can always enter ORG mode.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slathazer
Newcomer


Posts : 47
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-10-13
Age : 21
Location : Usually at the computer

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:58 pm

[quote="~sciocont"]
YourBreakfast wrote:
Good concept, we may even go as far as your organism playing in them? Maybe??

also, what about theater/plays? probably nothing too complex, but it'd be nice to have some sort of theater art...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:25 am

Slathazer wrote:
also, what about theater/plays? probably nothing too complex, but it'd be nice to have some sort of theater art...
Types of arts will be procedurally generated and will be able to be viewed in the player's Nation Editor. Arts, like sports and religions, will be arbitrary. They will be given random names and traits, among which "Performed" will be present.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead


Posts : 1179
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 23
Location : ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:18 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Slathazer wrote:
also, what about theater/plays? probably nothing too complex, but it'd be nice to have some sort of theater art...
Types of arts will be procedurally generated and will be able to be viewed in the player's Nation Editor. Arts, like sports and religions, will be arbitrary. They will be given random names and traits, among which "Performed" will be present.
Perhaps, if this isn't too silly to suggest, we could tag them in the culture editor for where/when they are usually performed? For example, I always pictured my Caelumnen absolutely covering their road with street performances. (Poetry, Theatre, Music, Dance, etc.)

This could also account for differences between castes. Upper classes might be patrons of Epic Poetry, while the lower classes might prefer song.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slathazer
Newcomer


Posts : 47
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-10-13
Age : 21
Location : Usually at the computer

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:13 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Slathazer wrote:
also, what about theater/plays? probably nothing too complex, but it'd be nice to have some sort of theater art...
Types of arts will be procedurally generated and will be able to be viewed in the player's Nation Editor. Arts, like sports and religions, will be arbitrary. They will be given random names and traits, among which "Performed" will be present.
Perhaps, if this isn't too silly to suggest, we could tag them in the culture editor for where/when they are usually performed? For example, I always pictured my Caelumnen absolutely covering their road with street performances. (Poetry, Theatre, Music, Dance, etc.)

This could also account for differences between castes. Upper classes might be patrons of Epic Poetry, while the lower classes might prefer song.

right. there are only a handful of places for performances...

streets
theatre(building)
theatre(outdoors)
rich persons house

and then a caste system...

lower class
middle class
upper class
leader class(usually only one of these)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead


Posts : 1179
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 23
Location : ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:15 pm

Slathazer wrote:
right. there are only a handful of places for performances...

streets
theatre(building)
theatre(outdoors)
rich persons house

and then a caste system...

lower class
middle class
upper class
leader class(usually only one of these)

Castes will be selected and edited by the player. You can have as many as you want.

There are miriads of places. The court, the school, hell, even ships have sea-shanties.
Places also includes times. What about festivals? Parades? Holidays? Enaugurations? Coronations? Weddings? Funerals? Religious conformation/baptism/conversions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slathazer
Newcomer


Posts : 47
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-10-13
Age : 21
Location : Usually at the computer

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:46 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Slathazer wrote:
right. there are only a handful of places for performances...

streets
theatre(building)
theatre(outdoors)
rich persons house

and then a caste system...

lower class
middle class
upper class
leader class(usually only one of these)

Castes will be selected and edited by the player. You can have as many as you want.

There are miriads of places. The court, the school, hell, even ships have sea-shanties.
Places also includes times. What about festivals? Parades? Holidays? Enaugurations? Coronations? Weddings? Funerals? Religious conformation/baptism/conversions?

yes, there are many reasons, occasions etc. but can you think of any more PLACES than
streets
theatre(building)
theatre(outdoors)
rich persons house
(and add on space ship)

I agree, there should not be rigidness. but these are just a general classification of places.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:42 am

Too complex. There will probably only be one set of animations/displays for each type of art (performed, music, 2d), and these will only be seen in Org Mode regardless. If you want to have your arts performed in a certain place, you can use the tag "Entertainment: (name)" in the Tech Editor. Is that exact enough for you?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slathazer
Newcomer


Posts : 47
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-10-13
Age : 21
Location : Usually at the computer

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:11 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Too complex. There will probably only be one set of animations/displays for each type of art (performed, music, 2d), and these will only be seen in Org Mode regardless. If you want to have your arts performed in a certain place, you can use the tag "Entertainment: (name)" in the Tech Editor. Is that exact enough for you?

Thats exactly what I was thinking of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead


Posts : 1179
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 23
Location : ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:11 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Too complex. There will probably only be one set of animations/displays for each type of art (performed, music, 2d), and these will only be seen in Org Mode regardless. If you want to have your arts performed in a certain place, you can use the tag "Entertainment: (name)" in the Tech Editor. Is that exact enough for you?

M'kay. However, if we include any sort of 'Special Events,' we'd need to have the ability to tag certain types of entertainment.

As to animations, I was of the mind that it would vary from form to form. Theatre would play out just like org. to org. interactions. Dances would either be created by the player or procedural. Music would be procedural for vocals, but the player would have to animate any org./insturment interaction.

And why wouldn't we be able to see these in strategy? Wouldn't we be able to zoom in? Strategy has more levels than the over-arching Civ. style we've been discussing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
M'kay. However, if we include any sort of 'Special Events,' we'd need to have the ability to tag certain types of entertainment.

As to animations, I was of the mind that it would vary from form to form. Theatre would play out just like org. to org. interactions. Dances would either be created by the player or procedural. Music would be procedural for vocals, but the player would have to animate any org./insturment interaction.

And why wouldn't we be able to see these in strategy? Wouldn't we be able to zoom in? Strategy has more levels than the over-arching Civ. style we've been discussing.
Special Events? Do you mean like Olympics? Because i believe that is just inviting other nations to participate in one of your sports, isn't it?

The terms you're using are a little narrow. Performed is basically any movement physically done by the organism (this means mime, theatre, dance, opera [although that would also have a music tag]). I think we need to discuss Art Types somewhere else, people.

You can zoom in, yes. But do you really expect the game to be able to run all of these animations at once? In the same way that the people will disappear as you zoom out, so will the animations. And i meant that in Strategy Mode you would see basic animations that encompass everything, we really can't ask more than that of the game or we are just going to melt computers. Also, it may be hard to display things happening inside buildings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead


Posts : 1179
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 23
Location : ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:59 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Special Events? Do you mean like Olympics? Because i believe that is just inviting other nations to participate in one of your sports, isn't it?

I mean holidays, festivals, celebrations, feast, so on and so on.

US_of_Alaska wrote:
The terms you're using are a little narrow. Performed is basically any movement physically done by the organism (this means mime, theatre, dance, opera [although that would also have a music tag]). I think we need to discuss Art Types somewhere else, people.

I know, I haven't said EVERYTHING yet.

US_of_Alaska wrote:
You can zoom in, yes. But do you really expect the game to be able to run all of these animations at once? In the same way that the people will disappear as you zoom out, so will the animations. And i meant that in Strategy Mode you would see basic animations that encompass everything, we really can't ask more than that of the game or we are just going to melt computers. Also, it may be hard to display things happening inside buildings.

Okay, that's what I thought. It's just, the way you said that made it sound as though strategy mode wouldn't include these at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:08 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
I mean holidays, festivals, celebrations, feast, so on and so on.
They wouldn't be under Arts or Sports. I don't really know what they would be under, but most of them come off religion, yes? Theses would just be represented by -production bonuses that religions give.
Tenebrarum wrote:
I know, I haven't said EVERYTHING yet.
I knew that. I was criticizing your choice of theatre and dances as a game term.
Tenebrarum wrote:
Okay, that's what I thought. It's just, the way you said that made it sound as though strategy mode wouldn't include these at all.
Yeah, sorry. Sometimes i get it in my head that people know what i know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead


Posts : 1179
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 23
Location : ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:27 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
I mean holidays, festivals, celebrations, feast, so on and so on.
They wouldn't be under Arts or Sports. I don't really know what they would be under, but most of them come off religion, yes? Theses would just be represented by -production bonuses that religions give.

I'd imagine most would be cultural. Xmas for example is supposedly a christian holiday, but nearly everyone celebrates it. The ability to create and edit them would give a great sense of life to the cultures people create.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
I mean holidays, festivals, celebrations, feast, so on and so on.
They wouldn't be under Arts or Sports. I don't really know what they would be under, but most of them come off religion, yes? Theses would just be represented by -production bonuses that religions give.

I'd imagine most would be cultural. Xmas for example is supposedly a christian holiday, but nearly everyone celebrates it. The ability to create and edit them would give a great sense of life to the cultures people create.
That might be true, but is simply too in-depth for most players. I imagine that there would be very few people interested in doing this all the time. Leave it to a mod, Rex. Someone will surely make one to edit religions, sports and arts. Holidays and festivals are the next logical progression of that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sumwun18
Newcomer


Posts : 28
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-05-01
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Sat May 05, 2012 10:15 pm

If we do an olymics-esque game, how would the host country be determined? By the most economically powerful nation? Anybody have anyother ideas? Thats the only one I can think of at the moment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Sun May 06, 2012 2:13 pm

sumwun18 wrote:
If we do an olymics-esque game, how would the host country be determined? By the most economically powerful nation? Anybody have anyother ideas? Thats the only one I can think of at the moment.
Randomly.
Boom, arbitrary mechanics.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Olympic Games   Today at 6:27 am

Back to top Go down
 
Olympic Games
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Gameplay Stages :: Society-
Jump to: