Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Re-application (I've got some useful skills now).

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AwesomeSiebren
Newcomer
AwesomeSiebren

Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Empty
PostSubject: Re-application (I've got some useful skills now).   Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 am

I'm Siebren, 14 years old.
I've decided to do a re-application because I have some useful skills now.

I have teached myself Blender and learned Html.
I'm currently busy with CSS, Javascript and Lua.

I hereby ask if I can be added to the developers group.

Also, I have summer-vacation, so I have plenty of time.  :D 

(note: This was done in the last few days, so I won't be very fast.)
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Re-application (I've got some useful skills now).   Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 9:44 am

Aww Belguim yeah! Thrive inspires yet another person to learn some cool skills. You're as old as I was when I first started learning to code, more or less the perfect age to pick up coding.

I'd say focus on the Lua, cuz I'm a programmer and I want more programmers, but an HTML/CSS/JS/JQuery core is definitely a good starting point with easy-to-see results. What learning resources are you using? To help with learning Lua, I'll take a look through the code and see what parts are easy to mod. I love teaching people things, especially programming, so if you want someone who's still young enough to remember the problems they had learning to code, I'm here, ask me anything.
Back to top Go down
AwesomeSiebren
Newcomer
AwesomeSiebren

PostSubject: Re: Re-application (I've got some useful skills now).   Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 9:56 am

I could do a little Python since I was 12.
A little younger than you.

I'm first going to see for myself.
If I have any problems, then I will gladly ask (which will most likely not happen).
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Re-application (I've got some useful skills now).   Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 10:10 am

Even better!

What OS do you use? I'd guess Windows, considering that's the one our latest releases have been on. When you're a little more comfortable fiddling with the game, we (well, crovea if you're on Windows, since all my experience is on Linux) will help you get a development version set up (a fork on gitHub, learning some git, and getting it compiling), and you can start solving issues :D!
Back to top Go down
AwesomeSiebren
Newcomer
AwesomeSiebren

PostSubject: Re: Re-application (I've got some useful skills now).   Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 10:13 am

Not too fast, I first have to understand: Lua, ogre and maybe Java.
Although I plan on finishing all within 1,5 weeks.
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Re-application (I've got some useful skills now).   Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 10:19 am

You'll only need to understand Ogre beforehand if you're writing c++, and Java we don't use at all, so I'm guessing it's part of your own learning plan. Java's definitely not a language you could learn to use effectively in a few days though, but I'd guess you already know that

I'm not gonna push you to be ready super-fast though -- if anything I'd prefer to put off getting the dev environment set up, since it can be a royal pain to get working.
Back to top Go down
AwesomeSiebren
Newcomer
AwesomeSiebren

PostSubject: Re: Re-application (I've got some useful skills now).   Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 10:23 am

Sorry, mixed them up...  :oops: 
Oh well, I already now a very small amount of C++ and I have a friend that knows it, so I will be alright in that.  ;) 
Back to top Go down
moopli
Developer
moopli

PostSubject: Re: Re-application (I've got some useful skills now).   Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 10:32 am

Trust me, you won't. You'll be able to read the code, and understand, usually, what it's doing, but writing good C++ takes a lot of practice. I find it's much better to approach C++ with the assumption that you'll do things wrong, since there are many intricacies to it. But that's fine -- it's far more important to be able to read code than write it.
Back to top Go down
AwesomeSiebren
Newcomer
AwesomeSiebren

PostSubject: Re: Re-application (I've got some useful skills now).   Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 10:34 am

Well, I guess I will have a few nasty surprises waiting then.
But I will finish CSS and JS first because I'm pretty far with those.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re-application (I've got some useful skills now).   Re-application (I've got some useful skills now). Empty

Back to top Go down

Re-application (I've got some useful skills now).
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Get Involved :: Applications-
Jump to: