Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
by Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am


Share | 
 

 God mode vs God tools

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DragonEye4
Regular
avatar

Posts : 220
Reputation : -1
Join date : 2010-07-14
Location : Somewhere

PostSubject: God mode vs God tools   Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:28 pm

Alaska wants us to call it god tools, not mode, but I was thinking. At a certain point, wouldn't you be able to turn you creature into a shapeless, formless being, akin to how observer mode would be, but with all the god tools? Would this observer-mode-with-God-tools be the same thing as "God Mode"?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
avatar

Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 25
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:41 am

DragonEye4 wrote:
Alaska wants us to call it god tools, not mode, but I was thinking. At a certain point, wouldn't you be able to turn you creature into a shapeless, formless being, akin to how observer mode would be, but with all the god tools? Would this observer-mode-with-God-tools be the same thing as "God Mode"?
You're talking about Ascension, the final research in the game. At that point your people would start giving up their physical bodies, becoming a stream of consciousness, all that jazz. But yes, with the Godly Researches you'll eventually be able to move the camera anywhere you want in Observer Mode and use the God Tools at your will. But there will be no God "Mode". This is what i am trying to say. It was agreed that God Tools would be a better way to handle the godly abilities. Because then Observer Mode can become what God Mode originally was, and you can access the God Tools from any other mode as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roadkillguy
Experienced
avatar

Posts : 528
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2010-08-25
Age : 25
Location : Rhode Island

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:17 pm

Righteo!

Maybe we should unlock god tools one at a time, instead of all at once.

It could add more playability to the game.

Maybe not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:53 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
Maybe we should unlock god tools one at a time, instead of all at once.

It's already in the current plan .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roadkillguy
Experienced
avatar

Posts : 528
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2010-08-25
Age : 25
Location : Rhode Island

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:22 pm

Alright, that sounds good.

So I'm thinking a little side-menu that pops up containing all of your hard earned god tools?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
YourBreakfast
Learner
avatar

Posts : 114
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-30

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:58 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
Alright, that sounds good.

So I'm thinking a little side-menu that pops up containing all of your hard earned god tools?

Yeah, I'm thinking that aswell. But should we have a string of researched that unlock different god tools?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:24 pm

YourBreakfast wrote:
roadkillguy wrote:
Alright, that sounds good.

So I'm thinking a little side-menu that pops up containing all of your hard earned god tools?

Yeah, I'm thinking that aswell. But should we have a string of researched that unlock different god tools?
Yes, it will be incorporated into our game.

Ascension will most likely come in the form of a technological singularity.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roadkillguy
Experienced
avatar

Posts : 528
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2010-08-25
Age : 25
Location : Rhode Island

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Maybe a difficult achievement should unlock a related god tool?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GamerXA
Regular
avatar

Posts : 285
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 30
Location : Australia, Queensland

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:34 pm

So unlocking Ascension pretty much fuses Observer Mode and the God Tools... Isn't Observer Mode designed for machinima-type gameplay and-.. Oh wait, God Tools would be helpful in that kind of mode.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:05 pm

roadkillguy wrote:
Maybe a difficult achievement should unlock a related god tool?
Basically the system is that your technology progresses to the point where it becomes god-like, and the technologies give you the god powers.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 22
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:05 am

If we no longer have a god mode will we be removing the God mode section? And if we do what about the topics in it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:43 am

I guess we can just rename it to God tools section.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ADMIN
Admin


Posts : 30
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2010-07-06
Location : Watching.

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:34 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
I guess we can just rename it to God tools section.
Ask and thou shalt receive.*

*If agreed upon by general community consensus.

_________________
ADMIN is always watching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thrivegame.canadaboard.net
DragonEye4
Regular
avatar

Posts : 220
Reputation : -1
Join date : 2010-07-14
Location : Somewhere

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:22 pm

Now on the index it looks like God Tools mode.

Anyways, I always thought that ascension and Godmode were one and the same. Wasn't godmode only unlocked after ascension?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eumesmo
Regular
avatar

Posts : 297
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:53 pm

cause and effect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DragonEye4
Regular
avatar

Posts : 220
Reputation : -1
Join date : 2010-07-14
Location : Somewhere

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:08 pm

eumesmo wrote:
cause and effect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eumesmo
Regular
avatar

Posts : 297
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:29 am

the ascension research causes you to get those god-like powers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:19 pm

eumesmo wrote:
the ascension research causes you to get those god-like powers

Nope. You get each of these tools as soon as you finish the correct research. Ascension only allows to use God tools in saves different to that they were researched in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DragonEye4
Regular
avatar

Posts : 220
Reputation : -1
Join date : 2010-07-14
Location : Somewhere

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:33 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
eumesmo wrote:
the ascension research causes you to get those god-like powers

Nope. You get each of these tools as soon as you finish the correct research. Ascension only allows to use God tools in saves different to that they were researched in.
So isn't that what godmode is? The state after ascension?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:29 pm

DragonEye4 wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
eumesmo wrote:
the ascension research causes you to get those god-like powers

Nope. You get each of these tools as soon as you finish the correct research. Ascension only allows to use God tools in saves different to that they were researched in.
So isn't that what godmode is? The state after ascension?
Ascension= you win the game. Basically you go into any mode you want, do anything you want, except your faction no longer exists because they have ascended. You can now start a new game with your god powers intact.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DragonEye4
Regular
avatar

Posts : 220
Reputation : -1
Join date : 2010-07-14
Location : Somewhere

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:30 pm

~sciocont wrote:
DragonEye4 wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
eumesmo wrote:
the ascension research causes you to get those god-like powers

Nope. You get each of these tools as soon as you finish the correct research. Ascension only allows to use God tools in saves different to that they were researched in.
So isn't that what godmode is? The state after ascension?
Ascension= you win the game. Basically you go into any mode you want, do anything you want, except your faction no longer exists because they have ascended. You can now start a new game with your god powers intact.
So you have unlocked Godmode, basically.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:47 pm

DragonEye4 wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
DragonEye4 wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
eumesmo wrote:
the ascension research causes you to get those god-like powers

Nope. You get each of these tools as soon as you finish the correct research. Ascension only allows to use God tools in saves different to that they were researched in.
So isn't that what godmode is? The state after ascension?
Ascension= you win the game. Basically you go into any mode you want, do anything you want, except your faction no longer exists because they have ascended. You can now start a new game with your god powers intact.
So you have unlocked Godmode, basically.
Excep it isn't an an actual mode.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 22
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:50 am

Well, ascension lets you use the tools and things like that anywhere without having to manage your species and empire.

And what happens if another species/race/empire creates a gate before you, and you discover it and use it without the tech? Full observer mode, but no tools/not all tools? Or could you be granted them by the other ascended species? Maybe only if they are friendly, and made alliances in their physical existence, but not if they just conquered everywhere...

Ooh, what if you were a dog thing and found an ancient ascension gate? Would you be able to use the powers if you're not sentient?

Or you might be a cell and go through one! Ooh! A deadly desease that goes through? It could manipulate the ascended consciousnesses into infecting the universe with their god tools!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
eumesmo
Regular
avatar

Posts : 297
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:46 pm

ascending doesnt mean your game has to end... that'd be really boring... "congrats for winning, you just had your savefile deleted...."

btw, is it just me or this is sounding a bit like stargate.... ascencion and gates ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roadkillguy
Experienced
avatar

Posts : 528
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2010-08-25
Age : 25
Location : Rhode Island

PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:08 pm

I'm pretty sure an ascension gate would only capture intelligence... a single celled organism is basically like the if statement of intelligence.

And I do not think this should end the game. That would be quite the lame ending to be stuck in observer mode the entire time.

Rather, I think observer mode should be one of the god tools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: God mode vs God tools   

Back to top Go down
 
God mode vs God tools
Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Modes :: God Tools-
Jump to: