Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Cinematic Trailer Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Cinematic Trailer

Go down 
+5
~sciocont
Commander Keen
Noitulove
Bashinerox
Pezzalis
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 5:06 am

I think a good way to get the message out there is to make a full audio-visual trailer for the game.

I was thinking about making one, but probably with a mash up of videos on the internet accompanied by the current audio ad

Is anyone here particular skilled with making cinematic trailers? Im not very But Im gonna give it a shot I've also been practicing with Terragen and you can make fly over movie renders from that.

If you have any videos you think should be in the trailed (Relating to space, evolution, sci-fi and beyond) then please post a link here

Atm the concept I was thinking was the trailer beggining with
"Consider the universe"
Cue the big bang and zooming inwards obviously millions of years in time
"Hundereds of billons of galaxies, filled with countless billions of stars"
Zooms into a galaxy.
Pretty much exactly like this (With the Audio) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faRb8VW13pg

Then zooming around a star, around a planet, into the oceans ...
And cue the long very fast paced interlacing evolutionary progression which could go like this:

micro-organism division, multicelluar emersion, freeswimming species, fish, amphibians, reptiles, mammals, birds, fire, tools, tribes, swords, villages, kingdoms, civilisations, ships, cannons, guns, cities, wars, explosives, automobiles, airplanes, nukes, technology, spacecraft.

Then the spacecraft whizzing around the local starsystem, possibly interacting with other species somehow, then whizzing out into the stars as the camera zooms out of the galaxys to resemble the millions of galaxies around it which all compress into a tiny dot which "Gleams". The Current logo comes onto the creen accompanied byt the audio:
"The Universe is yours. What will you do with it?"

I' thinking of making it as if it mocks the original spore trailer.
As for the animation sequences...
I can make landscape flyovers, and I could probably pull some space vids off the web if no one here can do them... as for the evolution sequence... Cells should be simple enough, but full creature evolving...

One Idea I've had is rather undesirable... but setting up scenes in SPORE GA and filming tiny fragments with REALISTIC creatures without googly eyes -_-
But Im sure theres a better way...

If you can animate such things, please let me know

I'll be updating here when I make some progress on the trailer

Or wait a sec...
Can I make a trailer....? (Not sure if i needed permission)

Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 6:13 am

Ever heard of copyright law?

You can't just pull videos randomy off the web, unless it is specified as being in Public Domain
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 6:24 am

Bashinerox wrote:

You can't just pull videos randomy off the web, unless it is specified as being in Public Domain

This.

And when you round the stuff on the web down to public domain the number decreases. By a lot. I think.

On the other hand the overall rapid-evolution concept seems a teeny tiny bit too similar to the early Spore trailer from about right after the part about galaxies..

Besides, if you ask me I think we should take a different approach with more visual, hand-painted ads.

Last edited by Noitulove on Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 6:26 am

Bashinerox wrote:

Yeah of course but Thrive isn't exactly commercial is it?

I didn't think it would have any copyright infringement issues seeing as it is going to be free...

Probably wrong

If not there is always the option of making a one from our own footage/render etc although I'm probably not the best person for that
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 6:35 am

Pezzalis wrote:
Bashinerox wrote:

I didn't think it would have any copyright infringement issues seeing as it is going to be free...

Probably wrong

If not there is always the option of making a one from our own footage/render etc although I'm probably not the best person for that

What he meant was.. oh, let me put it like this, I'm horrible at explaining without similes.

Say you see a jewelry shop with a big, fancy sign painted on its windows; "Free jewelry! (limited time only)" You walk in and take a plain silver ring from a box, then walk out, everything's all good, though the ring isn't very pretty.

This represents public domains.

Now, on the other hand you could walk in and take some of the fanciest jewelry off of the display, basically robbing it, because it's only for display. So you do, and as you run out, the store clerk gets mad at you and starts chasing you. There's a chance you could outrun him and show off your jewelry from a safer distance, but there's an even greater chance he could catch you and tell the police his store has been robbed, then take his jewelry and bring it back to his store.

This represents copyright. Things you're not supposed to take without permission; or in this case, paying for that jewelry.

Not sure about that very last part though..

So basically copyright is the a right for an artist/maker of something to resrict use and reproduction of their work. You can't steal people's stuff without permission, if they say you can't. Your state doesn't matter. That would be like if you went into a jewelry shop and... wait... did I already explain?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 12:23 pm

I think it's still too early for trailers. We should wait until we have something visual to show.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 7:49 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
I think it's still too early for trailers. We should wait until we have something visual to show.
QFT
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 6:52 am

~sciocont wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
QFT

Very much so, I guess

Oh and btw I do know what copy right is, I think I just slightly misunderstood the commercial/non-commercial aspect of it
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 2:45 am

Noitulove wrote:
Pezzalis wrote:
Bashinerox wrote:

Probably wrong

What he meant was.. oh, let me put it like this, I'm horrible at explaining without similes.

Say you see a jewelry shop with a big, fancy sign painted on its windows; "Free jewelry! (limited time only)" You walk in and take a plain silver ring from a box, then walk out, everything's all good, though the ring isn't very pretty.

This represents public domains.

Now, on the other hand you could walk in and take some of the fanciest jewelry off of the display, basically robbing it, because it's only for display. So you do, and as you run out, the store clerk gets mad at you and starts chasing you. There's a chance you could outrun him and show off your jewelry from a safer distance, but there's an even greater chance he could catch you and tell the police his store has been robbed, then take his jewelry and bring it back to his store.

This represents copyright. Things you're not supposed to take without permission; or in this case, paying for that jewelry.

Not sure about that very last part though..

So basically copyright is the a right for an artist/maker of something to resrict use and reproduction of their work. You can't steal people's stuff without permission, if they say you can't. Your state doesn't matter. That would be like if you went into a jewelry shop and... wait... did I already explain?

Umm, no. Even if a jewelry shop is giving away their jewelry for free, you still do not own that jewelry. You own a free license to use it.

You technically do not own anything that you have not created yourself, unless an agreement is created whereby ownership is explicitly or implicitly transferred.

Public domain is when someone gives out Intellectual property and specifically states that it is in public domain, if a registered patent expires, or a trademark is ruled as being genericised by a court. In these cases item are within the public domain.

And i say time and time again,
Just because we are producing this for free, does not mean we cannot be sued for copyright/patent/trademark infringement.

You don't have to have money in order to owe it.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 2:59 am

Alright, take it from the brain.

On the other hand, this does mean that at any time we could be sued by someone competing with us?
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 3:16 am

Noitulove wrote:
Alright, take it from the brain.

On the other hand, this does mean that at any time we could be sued by someone competing with us?

If we use anything that is copyrighted, trademarked or patented by them, yes.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 3:23 am

Or rather, you own the jewellry itself and the materials that make it up, but not the design of the jewelry.
Back to top Go down
zotobom
Newcomer
zotobom

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 7:32 am

Good ideas,but like the others said there is a copyright law you have to watch out for,
Back to top Go down
mikalics
Newcomer

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 2:33 pm

what if instead of a cinematic trailer we do something like the thrivive logo fades in and out

and we put in text explaining what thrive is and that we need help sort of like the sporum ad
Back to top Go down
2creator
Newcomer
2creator

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 2:39 pm

mikalics wrote:
what if instead of a cinematic trailer we do something like the thrivive logo fades in and out

and we put in text explaining what thrive is and that we need help sort of like the sporum ad

It'd be pretty boring and it certainly wouldn't intrigue me.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:00 pm

2creator wrote:
mikalics wrote:

Well, until we actually have in-game visuals, any visual advertizing is going to be a belgiumshoot. On the other hand, any concept art that we have, any audio that we have, can be mixed up into something a little more intriguing - give someone a movie maker, some concept art and a free afternoon and we'll have something that is workable, at least.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:53 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
2creator wrote:
mikalics wrote:
what if instead of a cinematic trailer we do something like the thrive logo fades in and out

Well, until we actually have in-game visuals, any visual advertising is going to be a belgiumshoot. On the other hand, any concept art that we have, any audio that we have, can be mixed up into something a little more intriguing - give someone a movie maker, some concept art and a free afternoon and we'll have something that is workable, at least.

Yeah once the creature engine is done, I'll write a module to export creature mesh data to .x or something to be imported into 3d modeling software, to create a cinematic trailer (and the opening sequence for the game)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cinematic Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cinematic Trailer   Cinematic Trailer Empty

Back to top Go down

Cinematic Trailer
Page 1 of 1