Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Gameplay person display Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Gameplay person display Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Gameplay person display Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Gameplay person display Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Gameplay person display Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Gameplay person display Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Gameplay person display Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Gameplay person display Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Gameplay person display Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Gameplay person display Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Gameplay person display Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Gameplay person display Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Gameplay person display Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Gameplay person display Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Gameplay person display Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Gameplay person display Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Gameplay person display Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Gameplay person display Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Gameplay person display Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Gameplay person display Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Gameplay person display

Go down 
+8
~sciocont
Noitulove
The Uteen
US_of_Alaska
GamerXA
Xenon
Tenebrarum
Albalrogue
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Albalrogue
Learner
Albalrogue

Gameplay person display Empty
PostSubject: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 12:01 pm

I had this idea while I was reading the ambient sounds topic since they were talking about predator.

This got me thinking how it would be if I was attacked by a predator while being in third person (being that this is how gameplay would be once the game complete) and how it would be being attacked in first person.

I've been playing a few 1st player games and the game feels a lot more thrilling than 3rd person games.

So I was wondering what you would think if there was an option to switch between 1st person and 3rd person depending on the players prefernces.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 1:09 pm

In theory that's fine, but directional vision would become a complete arse to both design and play. It's hard enough to program it for 3rd person, but imagine radial symetry in 1st person.

Also, to quote Yahtzee Croshaw: "First person isn't so much first person as it is First person provided that person has two VCRs tied to the sides of their head."
Back to top Go down
Albalrogue
Learner
Albalrogue

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 9:48 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
In theory that's fine, but directional vision would become a complete arse to both design and play. It's hard enough to program it for 3rd person, but imagine radial symetry in 1st person.

Also, to quote Yahtzee Croshaw: "First person isn't so much first person as it is First person provided that person has two VCRs tied to the sides of their head."

Okay then, that's fine if it isn't possible.
Back to top Go down
Xenon
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 4:24 pm

I see what you mean, but 3rd person can be thrilling as well, and will be better suited for a game like this. It would be nicer to be able to see your creature at all times, and to watch from a small distance when it fights in my opinion
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 4:48 pm

We should attempt both options. In-game, I think it would be much more realistic to be able to view in 3rd Person, with the neck moving the head (if the Organism has one). But have it easily changeable. The 3rd Person would also provide the player with Advantages with them being able to see behind them. Maybe an option of fixed 3rd Person camera where the camera stays almost directly behind the Organism at all times.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 4:51 pm

Also, think about the way you can hear stuff behind you even though you can only see forwards. Or how a rabbit has 360 degree vision. These things will be very difficult to show in 1st person. Darkov came up with a way a while back, but i don't think it made it onto these forums. I'd say 1stperson is a good post-game plug-in.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:09 pm

Wasn't it manipulation of the screen so that the extreme corners of the screen end up being directly behind the player?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 5:15 pm

GamerXA wrote:
Wasn't it manipulation of the screen so that the extreme corners of the screen end up being directly behind the player?
Not sure, but that sounds about right.
Back to top Go down
Xenon
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 8:01 am

I'm not sure if you'd be able to see anything with an image like that. For a totally realistic view with a perspective like that, you would probably need 3 screens or something, if you should be able to see it all well. I fear that if you make it so that you can look 360 degrees around, everything will get distorted and stretched in weird ways.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 12:20 pm

Xenon wrote:
I'm not sure if you'd be able to see anything with an image like that. For a totally realistic view with a perspective like that, you would probably need 3 screens or something, if you should be able to see it all well. I fear that if you make it so that you can look 360 degrees around, everything will get distorted and stretched in weird ways.
QFT have you ever looked at a panorama, the full image? If something straight like a wall goes in front of you, it looks like it is curved.

The -^- is your viewpoint, the wall should look like this:

___

-^-

But instead it looks like this:

\_/

-^-
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 12:37 pm

Perhaps when in 3rd person mode, the average zoom percent isn't as far from your creature as it normally would be and upon zooming out your creature's "head" is still about the same distance from the camera so you don't see behind--

No, that won't work. How about this..

Wait, actually that would, provided you can use the mouse somehow to twist your creature's neck (if it has a neck, or something that can move its visual sensors around) to an extreme angle, about as far as it can go (followed by its eyes, given it has any and is an apparent humanoid).

If you've just so happen to evolve so you can't turn your head and are invaded by predators, unfortunately.. well then, you'll either evolve into something that can outweigh their tactics or go extinct.

Right?

Riight?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Noitulove wrote:
Perhaps when in 3rd person mode, the average zoom percent isn't as far from your creature as it normally would be and upon zooming out your creature's "head" is still about the same distance from the camera so you don't see behind--

No, that won't work. How about this..

Wait, actually that would, provided you can use the mouse somehow to twist your creature's neck (if it has a neck, or something that can move its visual sensors around) to an extreme angle, about as far as it can go (followed by its eyes, given it has any and is an apparent humanoid).

If you've just so happen to evolve so you can't turn your head and are invaded by predators, unfortunately.. well then, you'll either evolve into something that can outweigh their tactics or go extinct.

Right?

Riight?
I'm not really sure what you just said...
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 5:17 pm

Necks are very common on Earth, the reason for this is because turning the whole body to look around is too energy consuming as opposed to turning just the neck. I expect to see necks being common for Auto-Evo.

Maybe we would just need a few different screens if their are eyes that are a certain distance and/or orientation away from each other.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 6:11 pm

We've already discussed this a lot before.
Current concept
You will be able to play in 1st and 3rd person. 1st will be defined by a "camera" you place somewhere on your creature. 3rd will operate like spore's 3rd person camera. In first person, your senses will correlate to your actual creature's senses (we've discussed different render methods for different senses somewhere)
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 11:19 am

~sciocont wrote:
You will be able to play in 1st and 3rd person. 1st will be defined by a "camera" you place somewhere on your creature

And what about auto-evo?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 11:49 am

Commander Keen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
You will be able to play in 1st and 3rd person. 1st will be defined by a "camera" you place somewhere on your creature

And what about auto-evo?
I think for that it gets automatically stuck somewhere between the eyes, not sure on the details but that's the idea.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 6:17 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

And what about auto-evo?
I think for that it gets automatically stuck somewhere between the eyes, not sure on the details but that's the idea.
Nope, you lace it however you like, since procedural camera placing would most likely lead to very annoying clipping problems, and it might not be where you want it.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 6:32 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Nope, you lace it however you like, since procedural camera placing would most likely lead to very annoying clipping problems, and it might not be where you want it.

Wait. With Autoevo? You want us to access the editor just because the players might not want eyes where they have them?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 6:25 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Wait. With Autoevo? You want us to access the editor just because the players might not want eyes where they have them?
No, you can just place a camera wherever you want on your creature. You wouldn't have to go into the editor.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 6:30 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

No, you can just place a camera wherever you want on your creature. You wouldn't have to go into the editor.

When do we descide that? The only place I can picture is in the editor. Will we be prompted when we switch modes?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 7:15 pm

I too cannot imagine how could you place the camera point without editor.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 1:10 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
You just set it up. one camera, set up on your creature.
Back to top Go down
Noitulove
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 3:07 pm

Commander Keen wrote:

QFT. Maybe some mini-editor under some tab in the Options Menu, possibly Controls or Video (graphics options). Otherwise I can't really see how.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 4:35 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
You just set it up. one camera, set up on your creature.

When though?
Back to top Go down
toxiciron
Newcomer
toxiciron

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 6:54 pm

i would say as soon as they have some sort of sensor type organ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay person display   Gameplay person display Empty

Back to top Go down

Gameplay person display
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next