Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Mandatory Sharing

Go down 
+9
~sciocont
GamerXA
The Uteen
Commander Keen
US_of_Alaska
Noitulove
Xenopologist
toxiciron
Tenebrarum
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
I'm all for patch inclusion. The purpose of this thread was to discuss the nature of how patch inclusion would be used.

Yeah. I think it's settled enough to put it on the Wiki.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
I'm all for patch inclusion. The purpose of this thread was to discuss the nature of how patch inclusion would be used.

Yeah. I think it's settled enough to put it on the Wiki.

Now that that's settled, does anyone have anything to say on the OP, and my suggestion for what exactly will be included?
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 3:41 pm

Yes. Downloading whole solar systems = large, but possible for the dedicated gamer. A medium-sized neighborhood file in The Sims is approximately 60-70 kb. We'd compressorize the solar system, obviously, but since so much of that is being rendered at the moment and only smaller references are being kept, I think a solar system might end up 140 to 210 kb in total. Compressorizing that brings it back down into the downloadable range for those with decent systems.
I think people should be able to choose exactly what they download: we could release "pollination packs" with the patches, but not make them mandatory.

Last edited by Mysterious_Calligrapher on Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 3:45 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Yes. Downloading whole solar systems = large, but possible for the dedicated gamer. A medium-sized neighborhood file in The Sims is approximately 60-70 kb. We'd compressorize the solar system, obviously, but since so much of that is being rendered at the moment and only smaller references are being kept, I think a solar system might end up 140 to 210 kb in total. Compressorizing that brings it back down into the downloadable range for those with decent systems.
I think people should be able to choose exactly what they download: we could release "pollination packs" with the patches, but not make them mandatory.
Excellent Idea. we will have to ship with enough content to pollinate a few worlds, then have our own packs that are up for optional DL. We can simply crowdsource the best designs of techs, creatures, planets, etc form our userbase.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 3:51 pm

As for what we include, I don't think we want it to just be whatever has been ranked highest by forum users.
I feel like we should have a little more discretion - say we were making up a pack of creatures that all could have evolved on the same planet, we don't want to look just for the "top 10 creatures" which will inevitably be those that follow whatever the current trend is (Remember knurldowns on the sporum, anyone?) or those by the most popular posters.
(Plus, I think the "get rated or die" system is a load of Belgium, but that is a rant that began with The Sims.)
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 3:52 pm

Yeah. We'll have "miners" to dig through content and find the best stuff.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 4:30 pm

~sciocont wrote:
QFT

Now, just to clarify, we all understand why I say Solar Systems and not just races? As the culture of NPNs that have been carefully crafted by players will likely be inextricably tied not just to the Homeworld but also to it's surrounding celestial bodies? Later cultures will likely also have a close tie with their first interstellar colonies, but we need a limit.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 1:37 pm

Makes sense: every species on a planet is inextricably linked, evolution-wise, to the flora, fauna, and physical conditions of their planet. An alien has to eat, you know.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 2:24 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
QFT

Now, just to clarify, we all understand why I say Solar Systems and not just races? As the culture of NPNs that have been carefully crafted by players will likely be inextricably tied not just to the Homeworld but also to it's surrounding celestial bodies? Later cultures will likely also have a close tie with their first interstellar colonies, but we need a limit.
Yeah I understand that. I think we should also have "archetypes" that can be shared.
Basically an archetype is an NPN setup that isn't world-specific. That way, the game can construct NPNs wherever it likes with whatever species it likes, because their behavior as a nation will not be dependant on their environment.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 10:43 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Yeah I understand that. I think we should also have "archetypes" that can be shared. Basically an archetype is an NPN setup that isn't world-specific. That way, the game can construct NPNs wherever it likes with whatever species it likes, because their behavior as a nation will not be dependant on their environment.

First I was like
But then I was like :s

Behavior, I'm sad to say, is inextricably tied to the environment. Have you ever read "Guns, Germs, and Steel?" Yeah. The only reason the West became the world power, as opposed to the equally rich East, was because it's culture favored compitition, and through that, technological progress. And the only reason the west had that sort of culture is because Europe is fractured it to hundreds of tiny peices.

I think it should be easy enough to write an appropriate pollination algorythm though.
Back to top Go down
zotobom
Newcomer
zotobom

PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 3:17 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
Now, this isn't something that worked in Spore because it meant that the latest creations swamped your system, usually being the worst possible thing someone could create.

This won't work for us cause we don't have the servers.

However something similar might be neccisary.

We can make a fair number of TOs to flush out the world, but as time goes on I'm sure they'll get pretty old. My thoughts are that we note how often certain files are downloaded, seeing as we lack a rating system. If something becomes popular enough than it's reveiwed by the Admins to make sure it's not say, a spaceship shaped like the president, or something similarly impressive but stupid looking ingame. Then, if they pass, they are added to a list. This list will be attached to patches and updates to flush out the world.

This applies to three different types of creations: TOs, Solar Systems, and non-editor files.

A Solar System would contain everything in it, either created ingame or editors. This allows complex races with deep histories and facinating cultures to be added whole, always with their respective sets.

Non-editor files would be things like expanded lists for creature-made music, more writing styles, etc.

Thoughts?
I agree,but there maybe something like this:

Pics,ALOT of pics of creations that you see ingame (the whole creature isnt downloaded) and if you like it it begins downloading. I hope so. Me likes sharing system. And BTW,you say that developer and creator TO's are added in patches etc,but your OWN creatures will be automaticlly in other games,right? Hopeeeeee
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 11:27 am

zotobom wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
Now, this isn't something that worked in Spore because it meant that the latest creations swamped your system, usually being the worst possible thing someone could create.

This won't work for us cause we don't have the servers.

However something similar might be neccisary.

We can make a fair number of TOs to flush out the world, but as time goes on I'm sure they'll get pretty old. My thoughts are that we note how often certain files are downloaded, seeing as we lack a rating system. If something becomes popular enough than it's reveiwed by the Admins to make sure it's not say, a spaceship shaped like the president, or something similarly impressive but stupid looking ingame. Then, if they pass, they are added to a list. This list will be attached to patches and updates to flush out the world.

This applies to three different types of creations: TOs, Solar Systems, and non-editor files.

A Solar System would contain everything in it, either created ingame or editors. This allows complex races with deep histories and facinating cultures to be added whole, always with their respective sets.

Non-editor files would be things like expanded lists for creature-made music, more writing styles, etc.

Thoughts?
I agree,but there maybe something like this:

Pics,ALOT of pics of creations that you see ingame (the whole creature isnt downloaded) and if you like it it begins downloading. I hope so. Me likes sharing system. And BTW,you say that developer and creator TO's are added in patches etc,but your OWN creatures will be automaticlly in other games,right? Hopeeeeee

I think this has the excuse: this wouldn't work for us cause we don't have the servers. But nice idea, and I hope we can somehow link the TCL to get the pics and download files from these forums somehow, while making it look much more professional and easier to find things, that way this could work. Tricky making it work, though. I want TCL to work...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mandatory Sharing   Mandatory Sharing - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mandatory Sharing
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2