Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 Floating Cities

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
2creator
Newcomer
avatar

Posts : 69
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-10-14
Location : The interwebs

PostSubject: Floating Cities   Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:03 am

Ok, this might seem cliched but I think we should have floating cities. You know, just to give variety to the player.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xenopologist
Learner


Posts : 107
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2010-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:31 am

If it's possible in real life, you can make it in the Tech Editor... with very few exceptions. As long as the player can think of some way to do it with the editor, there's no reason there couldn't be floating cities.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Albalrogue
Learner
avatar

Posts : 143
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-09-26
Age : 24
Location : France

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:29 am

@Xenopologist wrote:
If it's possible in real life, you can make it in the Tech Editor... with very few exceptions. As long as the player can think of some way to do it with the editor, there's no reason there couldn't be floating cities.
-"Baloon cities" on low gravity planets (gotrol's idea) : big baloon like structures filled with light gas with a city building on it or around it.
-Ship city : basicly a big flat space ship or air ship with a city built on it, with either jet reactors, rocket, anti gravitational reactor, etc to sustain it in the air.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:43 am

Do you mean floating as flying, or floating as floating on water?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
2creator
Newcomer
avatar

Posts : 69
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-10-14
Location : The interwebs

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:39 pm


@Keen Originally I meant floating cities in the sky but this could just as easily refer to cities floating on water.

@Albalrogue Oh yeah, gotrol's artwork is really good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:07 pm

I suppose this should be possible, but I don't understand, why would you go to all that trouble just to have a city that flies or floats (on water)?

Maybe you would have a flying city so it is mobile. But why do you need it to be mobile? We don't have mobile cities, it's a waste of time, money, and it would be noisy if it had engines. And they could fail and let the city fall to its death.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:09 pm

Flying cities are a bad idea if they aren't extra secure and require lots of energy (so, some huge balloon or ship-hull cities may be possible, but very costly to make).

Better alternative could be a giant vehicle, preferably a ship of some sorts (naval or space). Think colony ships. Sacrifice comfort for actually being realistic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
avatar

Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 24
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:49 pm

@Commander Keen wrote:
Flying cities are a bad idea if they aren't extra secure and require lots of energy (so, some huge balloon or ship-hull cities may be possible, but very costly to make).

Better alternative could be a giant vehicle, preferably a ship of some sorts (naval or space). Think colony ships. Sacrifice comfort for actually being realistic.
We're not here to tell the player not to do stupid things. They'll figure that out themselves or die.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Albalrogue
Learner
avatar

Posts : 143
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-09-26
Age : 24
Location : France

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:32 am

A reason why it could be a good idea to build floating cities is if the conditions on the surface have become to hostile/harid/inhabitable. Yet gets a cost. If that was the best option for the survival of you're species, would build one?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:37 am

@US_of_Alaska wrote:
We're not here to tell the player not to do stupid things. They'll figure that out themselves or die.

That is exactly what I want to see. Stupid players using fail logic wondering what they did wrong

But we still have to make sure it will be impractical. Possible, but useful only for showcase,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:38 am

@Albalrogue wrote:
A reason why it could be a good idea to build floating cities is if the conditions on the surface have become to hostile/harid/inhabitable. Yet gets a cost. If that was the best option for the survival of you're species, would build one?

Space colonies would be the best idea in that case, if you aren't planning to return any time soon, because it doesn't have to resist gravity. Just bring two of every organism along (for food, wood etc.).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Albalrogue
Learner
avatar

Posts : 143
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-09-26
Age : 24
Location : France

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:41 am

@The Uteen wrote:
@Albalrogue wrote:
A reason why it could be a good idea to build floating cities is if the conditions on the surface have become to hostile/harid/inhabitable. Yet gets a cost. If that was the best option for the survival of you're species, would build one?

Space colonies would be the best idea in that case, if you aren't planning to return any time soon, because it doesn't have to resist gravity. Just bring two of every organism along (for food, wood etc.).

However, they might not have the possibility to go on other planets (not enough time or not advanced enough technologicaly). And They might find an inhospitable planet that has immence mineral value. Build flying cities and make automates go and collect the ressources to collect them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:25 pm

@Albalrogue wrote:
@The Uteen wrote:
@Albalrogue wrote:
A reason why it could be a good idea to build floating cities is if the conditions on the surface have become to hostile/harid/inhabitable. Yet gets a cost. If that was the best option for the survival of you're species, would build one?

Space colonies would be the best idea in that case, if you aren't planning to return any time soon, because it doesn't have to resist gravity. Just bring two of every organism along (for food, wood etc.).

However, they might not have the possibility to go on other planets (not enough time or not advanced enough technologicaly). And They might find an inhospitable planet that has immence mineral value. Build flying cities and make automates go and collect the ressources to collect them.
Aah... I see... In case of lava and acid... Expensive, but I do now see a reason.

Hang on, if the player knows there is valuable resources there, they must have technology resistant to whatever danger there is there... Use the material they are made with and you're fine making a colony there.

If they can't go to other planets yet, then maybe... I'm still not certain on what actual dangers would mean this is the best option...

If the player wants to do this, they should be able to. (They'll find some reason)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Albalrogue
Learner
avatar

Posts : 143
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-09-26
Age : 24
Location : France

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:33 pm

@The Uteen wrote:
@Albalrogue wrote:
@The Uteen wrote:
@Albalrogue wrote:
A reason why it could be a good idea to build floating cities is if the conditions on the surface have become to hostile/harid/inhabitable. Yet gets a cost. If that was the best option for the survival of you're species, would build one?

Space colonies would be the best idea in that case, if you aren't planning to return any time soon, because it doesn't have to resist gravity. Just bring two of every organism along (for food, wood etc.).

However, they might not have the possibility to go on other planets (not enough time or not advanced enough technologicaly). And They might find an inhospitable planet that has immence mineral value. Build flying cities and make automates go and collect the ressources to collect them.
Aah... I see... In case of lava and acid... Expensive, but I do now see a reason.

Hang on, if the player knows there is valuable resources there, they must have technology resistant to whatever danger there is there... Use the material they are made with and you're fine making a colony there.

If they can't go to other planets yet, then maybe... I'm still not certain on what actual dangers would mean this is the best option...

If the player wants to do this, they should be able to. (They'll find some reason)
Well there are loads of reasons for them to build floating cities, I'm not bothered to list them all though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invader
Experienced
avatar

Posts : 528
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-07-10
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:18 pm

@2creator wrote:
Ok, this might seem cliched but I think we should have floating cities. You know, just to give variety to the player.

I see no reason why not. It's technically possible, under the right circumstances.

P.S. BioShock Infinite much?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
avatar

Posts : 83
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2011-11-13
Age : 22
Location : The Void...

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:12 am

This brings me the idea of my mate... Can we have UNDERWATER cities?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:00 pm

You're verging on bringing back the debating over under water sapience... Eep.

To skip all the debating, possibly unsuccessfully, if you mean a city by our standard, then only if the creatures that made it originate from land. Otherwise they won't be able to get the technological and constructional capabilities. Stone-age cities (whatever they are like) will be all an underwater civilisation could manage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:54 pm

@The Uteen wrote:
You're verging on bringing back the debating over under water sapience... Eep.

To skip all the debating, possibly unsuccessfully, if you mean a city by our standard, then only if the creatures that made it originate from land. Otherwise they won't be able to get the technological and constructional capabilities. Stone-age cities (whatever they are like) will be all an underwater civilisation could manage.
\QFT
We no longer talk about underwater sapience, since it's just beating a dead seahorse.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1034
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2010-11-26
Age : 25
Location : Earth, the solar system, the milky way...

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:44 pm

Submarine cities designed for air-breathing organisms: cool, not necessarily practical.

Please no one start up underwater Sentience again, we just shot that topic.

_________________
Environmental, Chemical and Linguistic Specialist.
If you speak or write any language that isn't English, we want you.
Now accepting biome donations here.

Please note that there is no currently scheduled time for panic.

Not actually ascended to another plane of existence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GmansWatching
Newcomer
avatar

Posts : 57
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2012-08-12
Age : 21
Location : Earth

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:46 pm

There could be practical uses to flying/underwater cities. Both could be mobile cities that have more purposes than just being a city. Like the underwater city could also second as a mining station for easy access to goodies at the bottom of the ocean. And the flying city could second as a battleship or a colony vessel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThePoisonchocolate
Newcomer
avatar

Posts : 18
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-09-07
Age : 91
Location : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Well any floating/flying city could be used in a situation of over-crowding (no more room on land) but not a whole lot else. Of course it would be a better idea to colonize other planets if possible, or just live on a giant spaceship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
avatar

Posts : 425
Reputation : 19
Join date : 2013-06-18
Age : 23
Location : Throne of the Immortal Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:56 pm

I remember from the misc. thread, I posted a question on planet spanning cities, like Coruscant from Star Wars for those of you familiar with the lore. Nick or one of the other devs confirmed that, I think. The base for a floating/underwater city would be just the thing for getting around the issue of planetary oceans, if you wanted to build a Coruscant in Thrive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
avatar

Posts : 2312
Reputation : 175
Join date : 2012-07-22
Age : 21
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:46 pm

@ThePoisonchocolate wrote:
Well any floating/flying city could be used in a situation of over-crowding (no more room on land) but not a whole lot else. Of course it would be a better idea to colonize other planets if possible, or just live on a giant spaceship.
Please do not necropost, especially with just a personal comment.

_________________
Look at how far we've come when people thought we'd get nowhere. Imagine how far we can go if we try to get somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThePoisonchocolate
Newcomer
avatar

Posts : 18
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-09-07
Age : 91
Location : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:15 pm

@NickTheNick wrote:
@ThePoisonchocolate wrote:
Well any floating/flying city could be used in a situation of over-crowding (no more room on land) but not a whole lot else. Of course it would be a better idea to colonize other planets if possible, or just live on a giant spaceship.
Please do not necropost, especially with just a personal comment.
Aw Belgium I forgot to look at the post date... not a particularly active section.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
penumbra espinosa
Learner


Posts : 139
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2010-09-10
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:01 pm

gona leave this sorted out, yes, you can do underwater cities and colonies, no, full underwater development of a race up to space isnt possible without achieveing fire and smelting of metals. it was discussed and the thread has been closed at last.

floating cities should be possible, but would require really advanced technologies, Bioshock Infinite is the worst example btw. a floating city would be just the same as an space colony/station, just at atmospheric level. this means you have to deal with pressurization, keeping it floating. it would require at least some sort of antigravity. the mass is too big to keep it floating with only lighter than air fluids and materials.

also this is a necropost, i'll ask someone to close it, better to ask this in the miscellanious thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Floating Cities   

Back to top Go down
 
Floating Cities
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Gameplay Stages :: Industrial-
Jump to: