Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
  The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars)

Go down 
+4
andry796
The Uteen
FrogEmpire
Invader
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Invader
Experienced
Invader

The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Empty
PostSubject: The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars)     The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 11:35 pm

Now, here's the deal: stars don't live forever. You all know that. Now, the purpose of this thread is to bring up this question: how will a star's life be represented in-game?

I mean, to properly represent this, we need to properly track some certain characteristics of stars. Mainly, it's size (which translates to mass). A high-mass star will become a supergiant once it gets older, then explode into a supernova before either becoming a pulsar or a black hole and violently destroy the universe around it.

However, a low-mass star will simply become a red giant, and shrink into a white dwarf. Not so dramatic.

Now, how will we represent a star's life cycle in-game?
Back to top Go down
FrogEmpire
Newcomer
FrogEmpire

PostSubject: Re: The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars)     The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 12:56 am

I dunno. I'm thinking random events. It's an idea I've had for some time. Random events randomly happen all over the place [star birth star death life begins ect.] which are fairly, but not too rare, and each provide a 'learning opportunity' for the player's species, like they can study the event and learn from it possibly unlocking a hidden branch of the tech tree ect.

Eg. Space Captain Xerg is blowing up his one-time allies when he coincidentally flies past a collapsing star. He decides to send a signal for backup to his empire before flying in to the star. When backup arrives, the scientists observe it, and eventually discover a way reproduce a star on a tiny scale, allowing for research of the 'Sun-Core' which powers ships cheaply, which then unlocks the 'Sun-Tech' tech tree branch, allowing for Sun-Based Weapons, Sun-Based power supplies and eventually, the God Tech - Artificial Sun

I know you probly won't like it because I can't explain the exact science behind the idea of a 'Sun-Core', but we could expand on the idea...

That coupled with the possible Terraforming God Tech, Create Planet would then allow the player to create their own Star Systems! Though it would be very difficult to keep it alive because the planets would have to be set in orbiot the right way or they might fly away or fly into the sun ect.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars)     The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 7:25 am

Firstly, can I point out a star isn't a huge ball of flaming gas, it is a huge ball of flaming plasma.

FrogEmpire wrote:
That coupled with the possible Terraforming God Tech, Create Planet would then allow the player to create their own Star Systems! Though it would be very difficult to keep it alive because the planets would have to be set in orbiot the right way or they might fly away or fly into the sun ect.

I don't think the terraforming godly tech did include creating planets... Or would one tech allow you to use the planet editor, rather than manually terraforming? We need that god tools thread...

Anyway, the random event thing sounds good. You could get suddenly frozen to death at any time while playing, but other than that, I like it!
But when you start your save, your star could be measured (and only that star). Starting age of anything between 0 and up to 2 or 3 billion years, to add a bit of unpredictability, and to make it seem like there is something triggering the next phase. Then as you play, your stars age continues to be measured, and when it it exhausts its helium supply (included as a fixed age)... Bam! Red giant! Havoc for your home planet, but giving a good chance to research space travel before that.
Back to top Go down
FrogEmpire
Newcomer
FrogEmpire

PostSubject: Re: The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars)     The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 8:54 am

I dunno where you guys would put it but we *should* have a create planet tech or something similar eg. Moon-Base, a moon-sized star ship that is incredibally slow and costly to move, but can support massive population, can be upgraded to become sefl-sufficient [oxygen farms, food farms ect.] or be upgraded to be a military powerhouse, building ships, shooting lasers at nearby enemies and having incredibally thick armour and possibly powerful shields.

Yeah, the star could also have an in-built chance to turn into a black hole if it's a giant, possibly allowing for advanced gravity research? I reckon the god-tech for a gravity branch of the tech tree would be harnessing a black hole as an infinite power source - much like the Time Lords of Doctor Who.

Just some ideas, I don't know if you guys have already thought of gravity research or not but it seems to be a good idea to me...
Back to top Go down
andry796
Newcomer
andry796

PostSubject: Re: The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars)     The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 12:14 pm

I think the star your home planet is orbiting around and the stars near to your colonies should have their own age and when old... a message warns you your star is running out hydrogen (only having advanced space tech, obviously).

For those stars very far from your colonies and/or home planet we should put a very very little chance to explode in a supernova or to collapse in a black hole.
Back to top Go down
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

PostSubject: Re: The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars)     The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 2:39 pm

Standard deviations and gaussian distributions are your friend. Star lifecycle should be a function of its size (so should be temperature, composition, etc) , and then add a random component to it which would offset the target max age by a few million years or so. Simply put, if you had one thousand identically sized stars and sat back to watch them they woudn't go out at once, but rather, on a gaussain distribution. It'd start slow, with one star here and another there dying out on its cycle, speed up, and then slow down when a few are left. Many natural phenomena are assumed to have gaussian distributions, so I think we should use it too.

EDIT: Also, create-a-planet should be essential.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars)     The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 2:44 pm

Guys, remember when you talk, stay ontopic. And get refrences.
A star's life cycle is pretty straightforward. It goes through formation-main sequence-post main sequence-collapse.
Life Cycle of Stars
Back to top Go down
Djohaal
Learner
Djohaal

PostSubject: Re: The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars)     The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 2:59 pm

Excellent wiki article. We have the solution for our problem here:

Spoiler:

Pretty much, make in-game stars follow this chart. Add some noise to the function for the uneveness and voila.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars)     The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 6:02 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Firstly, can I point out a star isn't a huge ball of flaming gas, it is a huge ball of flaming plasma.

Gas sounded cooler.

Well, of course we would follow the H-R Diagram. All it does is chart a star's characteristics. Anything that deviated from the chart would be uselessly unrealistic.

I'll leave the subject- representing this in-game- to you guys. You seem to have figured it out (mostly) already.
Back to top Go down
Reign Dance
Newcomer
Reign Dance

PostSubject: Re: The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars)     The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 8:00 pm

From a player's point of view, having their stars explode a lot will irritate them and likely make them quit. I know our goal is to have science and playability in this game, so I have a couple of suggestions in order to keep those two qualities.

-Keep the stars' deaths very infrequent. When the player's star explodes, it is an inconvenience; but at least the player doesn't have to worry about their other stars exploding too often.
-We could give the player an option to turn that feature off. No stars exploding if they don't want it.
-We could also add a technology in the game that allows the player to make their stars immortal. This would, of course, be a highly advanced technology.

Personally, I would want stars in the game to die often enough to irritate me; giving me incentive to reach that technology.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars)     The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 10:27 am

Reign Dance wrote:
From a player's point of view, having their stars explode a lot will irritate them and likely make them quit. I know our goal is to have science and playability in this game, so I have a couple of suggestions in order to keep those two qualities.

-Keep the stars' deaths very infrequent. When the player's star explodes, it is an inconvenience; but at least the player doesn't have to worry about their other stars exploding too often.
-We could give the player an option to turn that feature off. No stars exploding if they don't want it.
-We could also add a technology in the game that allows the player to make their stars immortal. This would, of course, be a highly advanced technology.

Personally, I would want stars in the game to die often enough to irritate me; giving me incentive to reach that technology.
QFT
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars)     The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars) Empty

Back to top Go down

The Life And Death of Absurdly Huge Balls of Flaming Gas (Stars)
Page 1 of 1