Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 Music Team

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead


Posts : 1179
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 23
Location : ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:05 pm

Bob Blackmon wrote:
Quote :
It's pretty good, but really, it doesn't sound very ambient.

Well you could add a few ambient noises to it like quiet chimes or the occasional water noise. As well as removing the slow strum at the end to make it loop better. Blend it with other tracks or make it quieter. Something.
I enjoy the direction you're going with this very much, but it's simply too active to work as an ambient track. Try focusing on a slow build in the music rather than the music itself.

Ambient music doesn't need to be anything but atmospheric. It doesn't even need to have a melody or progression. It just needs to help push the mood further.

In any case, as lovely as all this is, it might be advantageous to refrain from working on the soundtrack until we have a demo to put it up next to. It'd be silly to put relaxing peaceful music in a very hectic game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:38 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Bob Blackmon wrote:
Quote :
It's pretty good, but really, it doesn't sound very ambient.

Well you could add a few ambient noises to it like quiet chimes or the occasional water noise. As well as removing the slow strum at the end to make it loop better. Blend it with other tracks or make it quieter. Something.
I enjoy the direction you're going with this very much, but it's simply too active to work as an ambient track. Try focusing on a slow build in the music rather than the music itself.

Ambient music doesn't need to be anything but atmospheric. It doesn't even need to have a melody or progression. It just needs to help push the mood further.

In any case, as lovely as all this is, it might be advantageous to refrain from working on the soundtrack until we have a demo to put it up next to. It'd be silly to put relaxing peaceful music in a very hectic game.
Music is like concept art. It helps us figure out how we want the game to feel. I've no problem with making it now.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WTFBerserk!
Newcomer


Posts : 18
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-10-10
Age : 24
Location : My Room 23/7

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:53 am

http://soundcloud.com/deguzman/thrive1-explo

Yeah... Totally meant to make am ambientish/exploration track but ended up doing what I did there. >_>
I still think it works. I feel all Command & Conquer-y when I listen to the track. I imagine being the in Space Stage just mucking about when this comes on going "OH GOD YES, I <3 THIS SONG." and hating everything when it ends.

I'll work on something new. Try to get a more atmospheric feel to it. I don't generally do tracks like that, so.

Also, got a couple new tracks on my youtube:

www.youtube.com/wtfberserk
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:49 pm

WTFBerserk! wrote:
http://soundcloud.com/deguzman/thrive1-explo

Yeah... Totally meant to make am ambientish/exploration track but ended up doing what I did there. >_>
I still think it works. I feel all Command & Conquer-y when I listen to the track. I imagine being the in Space Stage just mucking about when this comes on going "OH GOD YES, I <3 THIS SONG." and hating everything when it ends.

I'll work on something new. Try to get a more atmospheric feel to it. I don't generally do tracks like that, so.

Also, got a couple new tracks on my youtube:

www.youtube.com/wtfberserk
Definitely liking it.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead


Posts : 1034
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2010-11-26
Age : 24
Location : Earth, the solar system, the milky way...

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:35 pm

WTFBerserk! wrote:
http://soundcloud.com/deguzman/thrive1-explo

Yeah... Totally meant to make am ambientish/exploration track but ended up doing what I did there. >_>
I still think it works. I feel all Command & Conquer-y when I listen to the track. I imagine being the in Space Stage just mucking about when this comes on going "OH GOD YES, I <3 THIS SONG." and hating everything when it ends.

I'll work on something new. Try to get a more atmospheric feel to it. I don't generally do tracks like that, so.

Also, got a couple new tracks on my youtube:

www.youtube.com/wtfberserk

first one: Have you ever heard the music from Myst? This is pretty epic, and then it adds these little techno things to this organ/orchestra/whatever that came from, pretty cool and alien. Definitely an alien aesthetic.

Second one: sounds techno. I've got a spaceship landing in my ear while I do my homework!

_________________
Environmental, Chemical and Linguistic Specialist.
If you speak or write any language that isn't English, we want you.
Now accepting biome donations here.

Please note that there is no currently scheduled time for panic.

Not actually ascended to another plane of existence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vegemyte
Newcomer


Posts : 19
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:08 am

Hey Guys! Been a while since I've posted - good thing there are more music people now!

If anyone remembers, I made a few awful concept sounds and songs ages ago. Then I stopped since my recording set-up went from bad to worse and because all my ideas were pretty terrible. Basically, I couldn't record anything high-quality until... now!

Is there anything that we're working on at the moment in particular? I can do a lot of soundtrack-type stuff and what not with my synth set-up. I might even try doing a procedural do-hicky like this: http://inbflat.net/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:02 pm

Vegemyte wrote:
Hey Guys! Been a while since I've posted - good thing there are more music people now!

If anyone remembers, I made a few awful concept sounds and songs ages ago. Then I stopped since my recording set-up went from bad to worse and because all my ideas were pretty terrible. Basically, I couldn't record anything high-quality until... now!

Is there anything that we're working on at the moment in particular? I can do a lot of soundtrack-type stuff and what not with my synth set-up. I might even try doing a procedural do-hicky like this: http://inbflat.net/
Love that site.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WTFBerserk!
Newcomer


Posts : 18
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-10-10
Age : 24
Location : My Room 23/7

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:47 pm

Yeah, would I be able to get the info for the Thrive soundcloud? I've got a new piece and I'm effectively out of space on my own soundcloud...

http://soundcloud.com/deguzman/thrive2-ambia

EDIT: It needs more, what does it neeeeed?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr_Chillgood
Newcomer


Posts : 56
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:11 pm

WTFBerserk! wrote:

EDIT: It needs more, what does it neeeeed?

It's pretty solid and nice sounding IDK if it needs more but if anything I would have to say some higher range synth doing both some harmonic and melodic stuff kind of like in Mass effect music. Kind of like the soft bell synth in this song (except I don't think soft bells would sound good in your ambiance track):
(not saying that your song is like the map ambiance in Mass Effect, but it has exactly what I was thinking about :3)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:53 pm

WTFBerserk! wrote:
Yeah, would I be able to get the info for the Thrive soundcloud? I've got a new piece and I'm effectively out of space on my own soundcloud...

http://soundcloud.com/deguzman/thrive2-ambia

EDIT: It needs more, what does it neeeeed?
It might need a softer beat, and probably more low end.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead


Posts : 1179
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 23
Location : ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:01 pm

~sciocont wrote:
WTFBerserk! wrote:
Yeah, would I be able to get the info for the Thrive soundcloud? I've got a new piece and I'm effectively out of space on my own soundcloud...

http://soundcloud.com/deguzman/thrive2-ambia

EDIT: It needs more, what does it neeeeed?
It might need a softer beat, and probably more low end.
QFT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead


Posts : 1179
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 23
Location : ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:31 pm

After the business with our experimental teaser, I was wondering if we could take this submission for our theme and expand upon it. It fit's very well and has a lot of potential, but it could use some polish and a length greater than 33 seconds...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:39 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
After the business with our experimental teaser, I was wondering if we could take this submission for our theme and expand upon it. It fit's very well and has a lot of potential, but it could use some polish and a length greater than 33 seconds...
Yeah, i like that one, but i really think the old (current) one is good too.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tklarenb
Learner


Posts : 109
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-10-03
Age : 24
Location : Planet Earth, North American continent, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:47 pm

I think the current one with a few elements of the one from the trailer would be a good way to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:37 am

tklarenb wrote:
I think the current one with a few elements of the one from the trailer would be a good way to go.
QFT

(And in case anyone is new enough to not have heard it...)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
penumbra espinosa
Learner


Posts : 139
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2010-09-10
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:57 pm

awesome, maybe a bit dramatic i dont know, BTW nice theme, huh, also......im back
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:39 pm

penumbra espinosa wrote:
awesome, maybe a bit dramatic i dont know, BTW nice theme, huh, also......im back
Welcome back. It's not often I remember people who've been away any length of time, but I have managed to remember you.

And yes, it is quite dramatic; it invokes interest, which is hard with only concept art available.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Protocol Interference



Posts : 1
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:30 am

[Going to post Links to Audio Development After 7 Day's.... ]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Protocol Interference wrote:
[Going to post Links to Audio Development After 7 Day's.... ]
In the meantime, would you like to introduce yourself in the welcome section?

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WTFBerserk!
Newcomer


Posts : 18
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-10-10
Age : 24
Location : My Room 23/7

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Got another new one. http://soundcloud.com/deguzman/thrive3-slumber

Just got Reason again and was messing around with it in FL. It's short, I know, but it's just an idea, basically.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:15 pm

WTFBerserk! wrote:
Got another new one. http://soundcloud.com/deguzman/thrive3-slumber

Just got Reason again and was messing around with it in FL. It's short, I know, but it's just an idea, basically.
I really like it, it could be good ambiance for an ocean environment, especially at a bit slower of a tempo.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pcerda
Newcomer


Posts : 6
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Preferably somewhere calm & moody.

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:40 pm

Hey guys, reporting in.

I think I may be able to put something together for Saturday, though I don't know what, or how

Anyway:

How is Thrive supposed to sound? Timbrally, I mean. Like, should cell stage sound 'happy' or space really 'dark'?
I'll probably start by making my synth palette and testing out ideas, s some info would be pretty nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:15 am

pcerda wrote:
Hey guys, reporting in.

I think I may be able to put something together for Saturday, though I don't know what, or how

Anyway:

How is Thrive supposed to sound? Timbrally, I mean. Like, should cell stage sound 'happy' or space really 'dark'?
I'll probably start by making my synth palette and testing out ideas, s some info would be pretty nice.

I don't think we've really decided. You could have a listen to the Thrive Theme on YouTube (if you haven't already), that sort of thing would suit space quite well, and take inspiration from the other music in this thread...
It's probably best just to be sensible: Thrive is a realistic evolution game, not a catapult game, so a version of the Angry Birds theme wouldn't really suit it, for example.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:55 pm

I think thrive should have a big atmosphere but still sound kind of "empty" especially space. I await your return!

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pcerda
Newcomer


Posts : 6
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Preferably somewhere calm & moody.

PostSubject: First Actual Teaser   Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:56 pm

Okay, so a couple of things:

Firstly, and due to an enormous amount of work IRL, my progress hasn't been as fast as I'd like (but i don't think that'll be a problem...for now).

Anyway, I still managed to make a little something, though I'm still just trying to figure out what exactly to do to catch that atmosphere you guys are looking for. Most importantly, the real challenge is on making something that can be played as ambient (meaning, most players shouldn't notice it right away), but when they do notice it, it should still be interesting to just listen.

As for the little "teaser" itself, Im not even sure if it is what you guys are looking for. I made it with the space stage on mind but I dunno... as I said, I think there's just too much going on at once (for example, I dont even know yet if I should leave the drums as is or not), but it may be just myself

As always, any feedback would be appreciated. Peace.

Teaser: http://soundcloud.com/srda/thrive-game-track-1-teaser
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Music Team   Today at 6:26 am

Back to top Go down
 
Music Team
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Sound-
Jump to: