Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

From a Colony of Cells to an Organism

Go down 
+14
Redstar
US_of_Alaska
Noitulove
Tenebrarum
Smothmoth
Commander Keen
~sciocont
Xenopologist
Darkgamma
specialk2121
kaosrain
The Uteen
andry796
Pezzalis
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 4:32 pm

Question: Our auto-evo requires template organisms, right? Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 8:01 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Question: Our auto-evo requires template organisms, right? Thoughts?

There will probably be a set number of cells (At this point there probably won't be individual cells but your creature will be divided into cell clusters with functions as far as game mechanics go) that when you pass it you will go from 2d -3d.
SO if your something like a daphnia, you will go from seeing it like this:

From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Photo_Daphnia_magna

To this:

From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Daphnia

Im may not seem like such a big change, but we have been discussing these template organisms...

How about a couple generations before you reach the 2D-3D cell cap, the game could *somehow* determine the main shape, movement, energy production and structural material (Ie lots of platers around the exterior of the colony or no platers but lots of stingers), of the colony, and relate it to one of our template orgs.

So we would probably have to make a whole batch of template orgs for all the possible combinations, which with crowd-sourcing would probably not be too hard (200-500..?)

So for something like the above Daphnia:

Shape: Round - Egg if we are being extraspecific

Movement: Contractile Muscle Cells
(Muscle cells will form from large areas of other movement cells - not altogether scientific but function-wise it will work and it will be done 'behind the scenes' when individual cells are phased out).

Energy production: Respiration

Materials: (Probably represented as a ratio to determine what goes where or how it is distributed about the shape of the body) Includes Platers, Eaters, Feelers, Eye Cells etc.

Now from all these factors, perhaps the game could pick the closest match out of our 3D template organisms and during the next few generations phase in features from them? Then when you go full 3D you more or less assume their shape?

Thoughts? (BTW the last couple posts by me are rather important, please read them )

Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Best idea yet Pezz!

And it could easily relate organisms based on the similarities of their share codes.
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Best idea yet Pezz!

And it could easily relate organisms based on the similarities of their share codes.

Yes that too

So are we having Biomes for microbial and Colony stage? I mean it would be cool if a gargantuan filter feeder swam right by your colony. Or even swallowed you XD
Back to top Go down
kaosrain
Newcomer
kaosrain

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 8:32 pm

Good ,but what about muscle valves? how will we create them?
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 8:39 pm

kaosrain wrote:
Good ,but what about muscle valves? how will we create them?

We can essentially cheat with most muscle related cells.

If not I guess for some colonies there will be certain cells that can de-stick and re-stick to allow food substances through, and in order to open the will need a mover nearby so I guess later in gameplay these moves will become muscle cells I guess valves could form to allow blood/substances/anything else through?
Back to top Go down
kaosrain
Newcomer
kaosrain

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 1:21 pm

And for excretory systems systems the same?
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 8:58 pm

kaosrain wrote:
And for excretory systems systems the same?

Yeah I guess... And perhaps sphincters can form at this level too... or not.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm really loving your ideas here, Pezz!
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 6:22 am

~sciocont wrote:
I'm really loving your ideas here, Pezz!

Thx scio!

Let me re-iterate a few things for a second.
I more or less clicked onto this while re-reading my above post.

Pezzalis wrote:
(At this point there probably won't be individual cells but your creature will be divided into cell clusters with functions as far as game mechanics go)

What's an easier name for these clusters? Parts.

I think your right scio about the basic OE coming into play as soon as a colonies cells start to specialize as thats when certain cells have different functions and thus arrangement is essential. It makes a lot of sense.
Back to top Go down
Bob Blackmon
Newcomer
Bob Blackmon

PostSubject: Am I missing something here?   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 8:22 pm

I've done some reading around and I can't seem to find how we will bridge the gap between having a bunch of cells in a colony and having a large organism dynamically.

As in when do cells become invisible to you? Suddenly or do they disappear over time?

Because in order to be animal sized you need to accumilate about a trillion cells, and that's....alot.
Not trying to reopen discussion, just trying to get clarification.
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 8:50 pm

Bob Blackmon wrote:
I've done some reading around and I can't seem to find how we will bridge the gap between having a bunch of cells in a colony and having a large organism dynamically.

As in when do cells become invisible to you? Suddenly or do they disappear over time?

Because in order to be animal sized you need to accumilate about a trillion cells, and that's....alot.
Not trying to reopen discussion, just trying to get clarification.

Throughout the generations of colony gameplay the cell count will multiply and the maximum zoom in level will adjust accordingly, to a point where the game isn't rendering individual cells - It will either apply a texture or split the organism up into parts (Exactly how the OE will work). This way you will be able to zoom in less as you get bigger.
Eventually the cell count will be phased out completely as it wont matter - around the point that you are about the size of a mosquito larva. From here gameplay is controlled through the main evolution concept.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: From a Colony of Cells to an Organism   From a Colony of Cells to an Organism - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

From a Colony of Cells to an Organism
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4