Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Space Stage movement dimensions? Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Space Stage movement dimensions?

Go down 
+2
Tenebrarum
Demongoat
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Demongoat
Newcomer
Demongoat

Space Stage movement dimensions? Empty
PostSubject: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 2:04 am

Hey guys, just thought of something that was bugging me a bit.

What kind of dimensional movement scheme are you going for in Space Stage? The 3D-movement of games like Homeworld, the gravitational-movement of Spore's Space Stage, the top-down (blurgh) of Gratuitous Space Battles or the half-half of Empire at War?

Obviously, the last two are more realistic and easy, but the z-axis is always a good friend - especially in flanking, and I imagine you would be trying to deviate from Spore's format again.

Anyways, just a low-priority question and I understand if you haven't given it any thought.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 10:20 am

3D
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 10:59 am

Yes, it will be 3D, we even have the control of Z axis done: click and hold mouse button and a slider will show up, moving the mouse than modifies the "altitude" of the movement (possible positive or negative).
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 11:22 am

Commander Keen wrote:
Yes, it will be 3D, we even have the control of Z axis done: click and hold mouse button and a slider will show up, moving the mouse than modifies the "altitude" of the movement (possible positive or negative).

That sounds just like Homeworld... Not that that's a bad thing, but it is a bad thing. I really didn't like that control scheme. What if you go into the z-axis choice but want to move on the other axises? You can't change them, you have to start again... Urgh. Anything but that.
I think the scroll wheel should navigate on that axis. But that could be zoom. CTRL + Scroll?

But please, not the Homeworld controls. I liked the game, but of the few things that bugged me about it, the height control was a big one. One of the other things that bugged me was the fact I couldn't get further than about 5 levels into the campaign. Wait... I didn't say that, stop calling me a noob.
Back to top Go down
bill2505
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 11:34 am

The Uteen wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

That sounds just like Homeworld... Not that that's a bad thing, but it is a bad thing. I really didn't like that control scheme. What if you go into the z-axis choice but want to move on the other axises? You can't change them, you have to start again... Urgh. Anything but that.
I think the scroll wheel should navigate on that axis. But that could be zoom. CTRL + Scroll?

But please, not the Homeworld controls. I liked the game, but of the few things that bugged me about it, the height control was a big one. One of the other things that bugged me was the fact I couldn't get further than about 5 levels into the campaign. Wait... I didn't say that, stop calling me a noob.
i agree with you at least in the fact that the reason i quit many space games is because of bad controls
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 12:01 pm

After a short time not thinking about this subject, something occurred to me:

Couldn't we use the same controls as would be used with an organism in water and or air? In water, I think we were using scrolling. We certainly weren't using that click and hold thing.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 12:11 pm

The Uteen wrote:

Actually, I took the idea from the Pacific Storm, where it worked pretty well (but that was combat over sea after all...). Haven't played Homeworld, so I can only judge from your experience.

The Uteen wrote:

Well, I don't really see how's that different from mouse hold, except for having to hold ctrl.

Quote :
Couldn't we use the same controls as would be used with an organism in water and or air? In water, I think we were using scrolling. We certainly weren't using that click and hold thing.

Org. mode and Strategy mode controls aren't even comparable. In Org. mode, you move all the time with one organism, but in Strategy you need to quickly issue orders to multiple squads, and that's hard when you have to scroll all the time.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 1:32 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Actually, I took the idea from the Pacific Storm, where it worked pretty well (but that was combat over sea after all...). Haven't played Homeworld, so I can only judge from your experience.

The Uteen wrote:

Well, I don't really see how's that different from mouse hold, except for having to hold ctrl.

Quote :

Org. mode and Strategy mode controls aren't even comparable. In Org. mode, you move all the time with one organism, but in Strategy you need to quickly issue orders to multiple squads, and that's hard when you have to scroll all the time.
QFT
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Ok, for strat mode cam in space, i recommend:
click and hold left mouse to pan
click and hold center to rotate (you should rotate around a fixed point, not the view of your camera)
click and hold right mouse to move the camera in a direction (using the same motion control as swimming or flying)
Back to top Go down
bill2505
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 3:35 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Ok, for strat mode cam in space, i recommend:
click and hold center to rotate (you should rotate around a fixed point, not the view of your camera)
click and hold right mouse to move the camera in a direction (using the same motion control as swimming or flying)
WHAT about zooming in and out to the direction of the cross hare with the mouse scroll
Back to top Go down
Demongoat
Newcomer
Demongoat

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 9:21 pm

Post above is a good idea, but what about, say, holding 'Alt' and using the 'camera drag' button for the z-axis? Yea? Nay?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 12:52 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

It's different because you can CTRL-scroll and then move it, CTRL-scroll again, move it again, then give the order. Mouse hold gives you one chance to get it right, and if you don't, you have to give the order and then find the location all over again.

Commander Keen wrote:
Quote :

It's harder when you can't choose the height while choosing the position in the other dimensions, that's splitting the destination selection into two stages, which isn't really a good idea, it'll put people off using the 3rd dimension to navigate.

...Since when was scrolling hard?
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Umm... Uteen, you do realize I was talking about giving commands to units, right? I'm starting to get a feeling you have camera controls on mind.

Edit: Now I see OP was talking about cam controls. Sorry about confusion.

Quote :

I approve, though camera should be moved with when Ctrl or Shift is pressed. Mouse is also needed to issue commands to units.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
Umm... Uteen, you do realize I was talking about giving commands to units, right? I'm starting to get a feeling you have camera controls on mind.

Quote :

I approve, though camera should be moved with when Ctrl or Shift is pressed. Mouse is also needed to issue commands to units.

What's the difference between panning and moving the camera in a direction?
Back to top Go down
Demongoat
Newcomer
Demongoat

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:

A way of thinking.
Back to top Go down
bill2505
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 6:25 pm

dont make the camera change with the shift or any button a mouse is enough,up mouse =up camera...(if someone dont have mouse with scroll button or something like this let him buy one its very cheap) in a rts camera should be easily moved and quickly thats the reason most rts move a mouse.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 10:21 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

Quote :

Panning heeps your viewpoint on a plane (X,Y), moving actually moves your camera forward and allows for you to follow your cursor (Z,X,Y). See org mode swimming/ flying controls for how that part would work.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 12:24 pm

Commander Keen wrote:

I was talking about issuing commands too, although control scroll would be better suited to the camera, come to think of it. Although the thread title could mean either control, so I hadn't noticed it was off topic.

As for keyboard camera commands, if the arrow keys control the camera, then shift + up and down could move the camera on the z axis.
Back to top Go down
Demongoat
Newcomer
Demongoat

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 5:35 pm

The Uteen wrote:

As for keyboard camera commands, if the arrow keys control the camera, then shift + up and down could move the camera on the z axis.

Genius. But what about rotation? 3-Dimensional warfare in SPACE (sounds so awesome!) would just need rotation, even if it's just to see the epic at more angles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Space Stage movement dimensions?   Space Stage movement dimensions? Empty

Back to top Go down

Space Stage movement dimensions?
Page 1 of 1