Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 Concept Art Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next
AuthorMessage
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:07 pm

Darkov wrote:
I will try to make a cloud map with a tutorial i found:
http://www.solarvoyager.com/images/tutorials/LandPlanet.jpg
The cloud tut starts at step 6).

The link's broken...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkov
Newcomer


Posts : 58
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:28 pm

Its not, its buggy no idea why. If it doesn't load, mark the link in the link box and hit enter. Or try to refresh the page.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roadkillguy
Experienced


Posts : 528
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2010-08-25
Age : 23
Location : Rhode Island

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:03 pm

If you do end up making them, please note that you MUST make them seamless.

Also, if we want to support mipmapping, it would be a good idea to put multiple resolutions of the texture into the same image.

Look them up if you don't know what I mean.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Sky textures shouldn't be too hard, bu i've got a very good idea for them to save on memory.

The textures will obviously have to be pretty big, high quality. To make up for the memory that could be taken up by these large images, i suggest that instead of having many images with many different colors on them each, we create a few B&W bitmap images for bases, then apply sky gradients to them to color them in. this way, you could hve one texture, but in as many colors as you could imagine.

This is basically what bungie did with muzzle flash effects in Halo 3
http://www.bungie.net/Inside/publications.aspx

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead


Posts : 1123
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2010-07-23
Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:34 pm

For now, textures can be small and ugly. We don't need anything hyper-awesome if we even don't have anything to use it in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roadkillguy
Experienced


Posts : 528
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2010-08-25
Age : 23
Location : Rhode Island

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:02 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
For now, textures can be small and ugly. We don't need anything hyper-awesome if we even don't have anything to use it in.

Not necessarily, it probably won't take long to make some basic terrain. It's the spherical terrain that will take a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:28 pm

Ello all.

I have created us an official logo. I do have it in vector form, so it can be scaled up or down infinitely without the loss of quality.

I wanted a simple, good-looking, one-color logo. I chose to surround "THRIVE" With the reflection of the sun off of a planet, and a gear, representing the natural and technological sides of this game.

So here it is.
Our new logo

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pezzalis
Regular


Posts : 260
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:45 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Ello all.

I have created us an official logo. I do have it in vector form, so it can be scaled up or down infinitely without the loss of quality.

I wanted a simple, good-looking, one-color logo. I chose to surround "THRIVE" With the reflection of the sun off of a planet, and a gear, representing the natural and technological sides of this game.

So here it is.
Our new logo

I LOVE it

If I do make any more concpet art, I'll stick that in it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:47 pm

Pezzalis wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Ello all.

I have created us an official logo. I do have it in vector form, so it can be scaled up or down infinitely without the loss of quality.

I wanted a simple, good-looking, one-color logo. I chose to surround "THRIVE" With the reflection of the sun off of a planet, and a gear, representing the natural and technological sides of this game.

So here it is.
Our new logo

I LOVE it

If I do make any more concpet art, I'll stick that in it
Make sure it's removable with the file so we can have a pure scene as well as one with the logo.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkov
Newcomer


Posts : 58
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:56 pm

Awesome logo indeed!
You can place it in the forums too.
Gonna get started on the cloud texture now, it will not be anything awesome just a test and if you like it i will try to make the real one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pezzalis
Regular


Posts : 260
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Just a basic whip up with the other scene I had made:




And the standard scene:




Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:26 pm

Pezzalis wrote:
Just a basic whip up with the other scene I had made:




And the standard scene:





That is... I'm just speechless. This is completely beautiful, we've really made some progress guys.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pezzalis
Regular


Posts : 260
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:39 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Pezzalis wrote:
Just a basic whip up with the other scene I had made:




And the standard scene:





That is... I'm just speechless. This is completely beautiful, we've really made some progress guys.

Thanks

I've now found a cool underwater filter for Terragen... Time to make some aquatic landscape (Well you probably wont be able to see very far :P)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkov
Newcomer


Posts : 58
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:49 pm

This is very nice! Great work. Now you made me get terragen too

My cloud texture attempt failed, going to search for another tutorial, these clouds are much harder then they look.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:51 pm

Darkov wrote:
This is very nice! Great work. Now you made me get terragen too

My cloud texture attempt failed, going to search for another tutorial, these clouds are much harder then they look.
Remember, keep it grayscale. Get some cloud brushes and smear 'em up.

How's that for the Revolutionary Games logo?

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pezzalis
Regular


Posts : 260
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:17 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Darkov wrote:
This is very nice! Great work. Now you made me get terragen too

My cloud texture attempt failed, going to search for another tutorial, these clouds are much harder then they look.
Remember, keep it grayscale. Get some cloud brushes and smear 'em up.

How's that for the Revolutionary Games logo?

Looks great
Love the shattered hexagonal style

Just a question, is the word Revolutionary in the studio name a reference to the word evolution?

EDIT:

A microbe scene... Kinda Blurry up close but its quite high res (1280x1024)


Looks better from a distance really

(Done from scratch :))


Might try playing with the hue to make it look more organic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:41 pm

Pezzalis wrote:


Looks great
Love the shattered hexagonal style

Just a question, is the word Revolutionary in the studio name a reference to the word evolution?

EDIT:

A microbe scene... Kinda Blurry up close but its quite high res (1280x1024)


Looks better from a distance really

(Done from scratch :))


Might try playing with the hue to make it look more organic
Ok, I gues that's our logo now. And I'm not sure abpout the name, ask dragoneye.

That microbe scene looks really good- try to center the logo more and make it green- your renders are really, really good.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invader
Experienced


Posts : 528
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-07-10
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:44 pm

Pezzalis wrote:
Just a basic whip up with the other scene I had made:




And the standard scene:






This is some great artwork you've got there! Keep up the good work. Things are looking quite nicely for Thrive. Literally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pezzalis
Regular


Posts : 260
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:32 am

Thanks, both of ya

Tweaked the Microbe one a bit - Looks more realistic now... That is until you zoom right in and see tine daisy petals -_- (Should fix that really)



And I finished that water one...


I reckon some of these environments would look cool with creatures in them... Someone mentioned they were able to make some creature models...

Perhaps we could superimpose some creature renders in... Or maybe we should wait until we have the Thrive Terrain generator and some creature designs in the engine...

I mean the school of fish in that didnt turn out too great
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Noitulove
Regular


Posts : 237
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:28 am

Pezzalis wrote:
Thanks, both of ya

Tweaked the Microbe one a bit - Looks more realistic now... That is until you zoom right in and see tine daisy petals -_- (Should fix that really)

*images*

And I finished that water one...
*moar_images*

I reckon some of these environments would look cool with creatures in them... Someone mentioned they were able to make some creature models...

Perhaps we could superimpose some creature renders in... Or maybe we should wait until we have the Thrive Terrain generator and some creature designs in the engine...

I mean the school of fish in that didnt turn out too great

That's an excellent logo you have there, Pezz, definetely an inprovment from our last logo. My only suggestion would be on the upper left side, rather than having the 2 spokes on the edges of the gear look not so cut in half, and the blob-thing on the upper-left, rather than having a sharp edge, be more rounded..

Here's a cheap 5 minute paint edit to show you what I mean..



Actually the current, unedited logo looks better now that I look at the altered version.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pezzalis
Regular


Posts : 260
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:33 am

Noitulove wrote:
Pezzalis wrote:
Thanks, both of ya

Tweaked the Microbe one a bit - Looks more realistic now... That is until you zoom right in and see tine daisy petals -_- (Should fix that really)

*images*

And I finished that water one...
*moar_images*

I reckon some of these environments would look cool with creatures in them... Someone mentioned they were able to make some creature models...

Perhaps we could superimpose some creature renders in... Or maybe we should wait until we have the Thrive Terrain generator and some creature designs in the engine...

I mean the school of fish in that didnt turn out too great

That's an excellent logo you have there, Pezz, definetely an inprovment from our last logo. My only suggestion would be on the upper left side, rather than having the 2 spokes on the edges of the gear look not so cut in half, and the blob-thing on the upper-left, rather than having a sharp edge, be more rounded..

Here's a cheap 5 minute paint edit to show you what I mean..

Actually the current, unedited logo looks better now that I look at the altered version.

The logo was made by Scio

I just put them on some concept images
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Noitulove
Regular


Posts : 237
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:36 am

Pezzalis wrote:


The logo was made by Scio

I just put them on some concept images

Oh, heh, my mistake.

But looking at it up close it seems a bit blurry and aliased. Any way we can fix that or is it just my display?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pezzalis
Regular


Posts : 260
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:39 am

Noitulove wrote:
Pezzalis wrote:


The logo was made by Scio

I just put them on some concept images

Oh, heh, my mistake.

But looking at it up close it seems a bit blurry and aliased. Any way we can fix that or is it just my display?

The logo or my concepts...?

The logo shouldnt be blurry =/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Noitulove
Regular


Posts : 237
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:47 am

Pezzalis wrote:


The logo or my concepts...?

The logo shouldnt be blurry =/

I mean the large image posted on the Devblog, this one.

Your concepts are fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pezzalis
Regular


Posts : 260
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:40 am

Noitulove wrote:
Pezzalis wrote:


The logo or my concepts...?

The logo shouldnt be blurry =/

I mean the large image posted on the Devblog, this one.

Your concepts are fine.

Looks fine to me, I sized it up in a couple of my concepts and it seems ok... It might be your display

Well I've learnt how to add additional planets in to Terragen 2. As many as you like. And Stars. o-O

Takes years to render though -_-

You can also add 3d models from any rendering program...

I do like the logo. Its like a claw and a gear and the sunlight over a planet... It manages to represent like 3 major aspects of the game in one simple symbol

It reminds me of the maxis logo... A very tiny bit...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Concept Art Thread   Today at 5:35 am

Back to top Go down
 
Concept Art Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 35Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Graphics-
Jump to: