Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 Jupiter orbit

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kaosrain
Newcomer


Posts : 58
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2010-11-21
Age : 17
Location : Dead frontier and civilization revolution

PostSubject: Jupiter orbit   Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:51 pm

I was playing a n.a.s.a game and in one part it said that if the earth was closer to jupiter then it would be thrown to space creating an elliptical orbit ¿would that phenomenom be possible in thrive?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
R136a1
Newcomer


Posts : 32
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2011-02-14
Location : Middle of Nowhere, USA

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter orbit   Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:46 pm

I hope so. Orbital dynamics like these would make for a very interesting game, as well as an interesting challenge for any life which happens to live on one of these poor planets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GmansWatching
Newcomer


Posts : 57
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2012-08-12
Age : 20
Location : Earth

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter orbit   Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:19 am

Like planets near dark holes being sucked away to their doom? The same going with ships. Making the player be careful on settling colonies near dangerous things. As well as moons losing orbit and attacking planets. *coughMajorasMaskcough*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Holomanga
Newcomer


Posts : 83
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2012-04-01
Age : 18
Location : Earth

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter orbit   Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:23 am

GmansWatching wrote:
Like planets near dark holes being sucked away to their doom? The same going with ships. Making the player be careful on settling colonies near dangerous things. As well as moons losing orbit and attacking planets. *coughMajorasMaskcough*

How would the planet "lose orbit" and be sucked into a black hole? Same with the moon.

ALthough I hope that orbital mechanics is added into the game and planets aren't on rails.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter orbit   Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:29 am

Holomanga wrote:
GmansWatching wrote:
Like planets near dark holes being sucked away to their doom? The same going with ships. Making the player be careful on settling colonies near dangerous things. As well as moons losing orbit and attacking planets. *coughMajorasMaskcough*

How would the planet "lose orbit" and be sucked into a black hole? Same with the moon.

ALthough I hope that orbital mechanics is added into the game and planets aren't on rails.

Our current concepts for the mechanics of Tech Objects uses the mass, so theoretically newtonian physics could be quite spectacular, with a planets wobbling due to artificial satellites as well as natural ones. It would be cool to see the effects of a Dyson Sphere or God Machine on a solar system. However, this sort of thing would probably also result in spectacular lag. Although, when it actually gets made, it might not, so I hope we get to include it.

If a planet was in an unstable orbit, I would expect it to fly off long before life arises, so I don't think that's much of a danger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GmansWatching
Newcomer


Posts : 57
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2012-08-12
Age : 20
Location : Earth

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter orbit   Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:01 pm

The Uteen wrote:

Our current concepts for the mechanics of Tech Objects uses the mass, so theoretically newtonian physics could be quite spectacular, with a planets wobbling due to artificial satellites as well as natural ones. It would be cool to see the effects of a Dyson Sphere or God Machine on a solar system. However, this sort of thing would probably also result in spectacular lag. Although, when it actually gets made, it might not, so I hope we get to include it.

If a planet was in an unstable orbit, I would expect it to fly off l [/quote]

If a planet was in an unstable orbit for millions of years, couldn't creatures live there and evolve to the unstable planet?

And those physics should be like the auto-evo when you get close to a solar system. Including aging of stars
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seregon
Regular


Posts : 263
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2011-08-10
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter orbit   Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:16 pm

An unstable orbit is one which wont last forever, i.e.: the planet will either fly out of the solar system or into its sun. What your refering to is an irregular (probably elliptical) orbit, where the planet isn't always at the same distance from the sun. So long as the irregularity isn't too great then life could evolve to cope, but if the difference is very large (so that temperatures fluctuate by more than 30-40 degrees C) it is very unlikely that life will evolve past a very basic cellular level.

With regards to simulating the physics of a solar system, I'm not entirely sure about the math involve (I'm not a physicist), but we would only need to account for very large (think deathstar) sized satellites, planets and moons, so it might be feasible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter orbit   Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:43 pm

GmansWatching wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Our current concepts for the mechanics of Tech Objects uses the mass, so theoretically newtonian physics could be quite spectacular, with a planets wobbling due to artificial satellites as well as natural ones. It would be cool to see the effects of a Dyson Sphere or God Machine on a solar system. However, this sort of thing would probably also result in spectacular lag. Although, when it actually gets made, it might not, so I hope we get to include it.

If a planet was in an unstable orbit, I would expect it to fly off l


If a planet was in an unstable orbit for millions of years, couldn't creatures live there and evolve to the unstable planet?

And those physics should be like the auto-evo when you get close to a solar system. Including aging of stars

Unstable orbits generally only last for a few cycles before the unstable object either reaches terminal velocity, falls into the star, or hits the object interfering with its orbit. Multicellular life (which could observe this) would take millions of years to evolve, and that after the millions of years of the planet's cooling. In other words, that's millions of cycles of a planet in the goldilocks zone. Even with realistic physics, and every player of Thrive looking for this occurrence, it is unrealistic anyone will even observe it on another planet, even those not in the goldilocks zone.

Systems will probably be randomly generated in a realistic way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seregon
Regular


Posts : 263
Reputation : 37
Join date : 2011-08-10
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter orbit   Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Your right that the odds of observing it naturally are nigh on impossible, but it might be possible for the player to cause it themselves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GmansWatching
Newcomer


Posts : 57
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2012-08-12
Age : 20
Location : Earth

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter orbit   Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:58 pm

Seregon wrote:
Your right that the odds of observing it naturally are nigh on impossible, but it might be possible for the player to cause it themselves.

If you meant observing a planet lose its orbit then.. Could a player could get a large enough object (czar bomba!! , asteroid. a moon, etc) and launch/guide it to the planet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter orbit   Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:50 am

GmansWatching wrote:
Seregon wrote:
Your right that the odds of observing it naturally are nigh on impossible, but it might be possible for the player to cause it themselves.

If you meant observing a planet lose its orbit then.. Could a player could get a large enough object (czar bomba!! , asteroid. a moon, etc) and launch/guide it to the planet?
It would need a huge amount of energy to get some sort of engine on it for movement, and then move it into place, and then a colossal amount to build up enough speed to accelerate the what's left of the planet after the collision to terminal velocity... An insanely unrealistic amount of energy.

So with God Machines/Ascension this should be easy to do, just don't expect the planet involved to come out of it... Unharmed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GmansWatching
Newcomer


Posts : 57
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2012-08-12
Age : 20
Location : Earth

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter orbit   Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:33 pm

@The Uteen
Unless the civilization had teleportation and teleported the planet right next to the target object. The teleported object would still move since nothing stopped it. And would collide with the other object. (if it had a faster speed that is.)

Extremely harmed is what Id be expecting in the first place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ido66667
Regular


Posts : 366
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 102
Location : Space - Time

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter orbit   Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:12 am

About the black holes...

Newtonian mechnics don't apply there...

Relativity does... So keep that in mind before you think about things get sucked in there...

And BTW.

When your ship get's close to a black hole...
You can't really see it get sucked...
Light can't escape it, so You would not see it.

And one more thing...
Planets turn into gas before they get "Sucked"...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Jupiter orbit   Today at 10:01 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Jupiter orbit
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Editors :: Planet-
Jump to: