Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Migration    Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Migration    Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Migration    Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Migration    Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Migration    Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Migration    Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Migration    Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Migration    Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Migration    Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Migration    Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Migration    Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Migration    Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Migration    Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Migration    Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Migration    Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Migration    Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Migration    Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Migration    Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Migration    Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Migration    Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Migration

Go down 
+2
mike roberts
YourNeighbor
6 posters
AuthorMessage
YourNeighbor
Newcomer

Migration    Empty
PostSubject: Migration    Migration    EmptyTue May 03, 2011 5:17 pm

In the game will you be able to migrate. For example
going north for the summer/south for the winter
swimming up river to spawn/lay eggs like salmon
following the food?
Back to top Go down
mike roberts
Learner

Migration    Empty
PostSubject: Re: Migration    Migration    EmptyTue May 03, 2011 5:55 pm

yes it won't be mandatory but if you played spore you eventually no matter what had to migrate. some migrations as you said are not needed for the species survival i mean following prey that is needed for but lets just say the prey stayed because good weather that means the predator will stay what im trying to say is that if the flightless bird your creature hunts migrates south for the winter and one time they don't go because of weather climate change i don't know btu you are able to stay because you dont go because the climate you goo because your prey goes get what im saying .
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

Migration    Empty
PostSubject: Re: Migration    Migration    EmptyTue May 03, 2011 7:27 pm

So how will we recreate annual migrations? Will this just be a result of the BE or will it be controlled by the player, and how will it work for NPC(O?)s?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Migration    Empty
PostSubject: Re: Migration    Migration    EmptyWed May 04, 2011 10:55 am

Poisson wrote:
So how will we recreate annual migrations? Will this just be a result of the BE or will it be controlled by the player, and how will it work for NPC(O?)s?

Ideas

NPCs & Recreation
Seasonal hotspots. ie. the game populates one species according to the season.
Maybe accompanied by seasonal niches. ie. Each season, a niche is opened up/closed, according to the migration. Could be filled by hibernating creatures, or creatures that move in to other migrators' niches.

Same species NPCs & Player involvement
The NPCs should be programmed to migrate when the average player would find that a sensible thing to do. Assuming player sensibility.
The player should see the others leaving together in one direction and follow. Or faces the consequences of not migrating - facing the climate.
If they do face the consequences of staying and survive regularly, others should begin to stay too.

I'm afraid this doesn't include migration to birthing grounds. It's specific, but might be adaptable.

Last edited by The Uteen on Wed May 04, 2011 11:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Migration    Empty
PostSubject: Re: Migration    Migration    EmptyWed May 04, 2011 10:59 am

*Head hits desk*
Dangit, now we've got to program movement patterns seasonally into some multi-biome niches, and leave others alone.

Hmmm... All right, for now, three niche classifications.
1) Sequestered: stays in one biome and doesn't get out much. Also, more fitting the smaller the organism, which might even live in a micro-system.
2) Transcendent: lives in multiple biomes, taking resources out of many and giving back to many. For example, something like the rabbit or deer, which can live in the woods or meadow, eating food resources from both, and being prey to creatures from both.
3) Migratory: Some stage/seasonal trigger (Non-availability of a resource in one area) will trigger their trek to another. For example, conditions are bad for monarch butterflies in the winter in the northern part of the US, so they fly south. (Seasonal removal: shelter resource) Or, for another example, whales go to a certain ocean area to breed. (New Cycle necessity, tagged to season/age: Breeding grounds.)

Sound good to all of you? The tags are rough and dirty, but I do like my tags...
*Note - as NPC's have niches as well, this will take care of them, assuming they're all tagged to the proper resources and stuff. Of course, once you change your species behavior, you will, as Uteen said earlier, either a) die or b) adapt to a migrationless state, finding your resource more locally.
The more important the resource to your species continuation, the stronger the migration drive and the harder to change it, I feel. Geese, for example, do not all migrate - their food resources are now available in the winter in northern climes which they used to abandon. Eventually, they may not fly south at all.

Oh, Hai, post buddy Uteen! Similar minds, no?
Back to top Go down
specialk2121
Newcomer
specialk2121

Migration    Empty
PostSubject: Re: Migration    Migration    EmptyWed May 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
*Head hits desk*
Dangit, now we've got to program movement patterns seasonally into some multi-biome niches, and leave others alone.

Hmmm... All right, for now, three niche classifications.
1) Sequestered: stays in one biome and doesn't get out much. Also, more fitting the smaller the organism, which might even live in a micro-system.
2) Transcendent: lives in multiple biomes, taking resources out of many and giving back to many. For example, something like the rabbit or deer, which can live in the woods or meadow, eating food resources from both, and being prey to creatures from both.
3) Migratory: Some stage/seasonal trigger (Non-availability of a resource in one area) will trigger their trek to another. For example, conditions are bad for monarch butterflies in the winter in the northern part of the US, so they fly south. (Seasonal removal: shelter resource) Or, for another example, whales go to a certain ocean area to breed. (New Cycle necessity, tagged to season/age: Breeding grounds.)

Sound good to all of you? The tags are rough and dirty, but I do like my tags...
*Note - as NPC's have niches as well, this will take care of them, assuming they're all tagged to the proper resources and stuff. Of course, once you change your species behavior, you will, as Uteen said earlier, either a) die or b) adapt to a migrationless state, finding your resource more locally.
The more important the resource to your species continuation, the stronger the migration drive and the harder to change it, I feel. Geese, for example, do not all migrate - their food resources are now available in the winter in northern climes which they used to abandon. Eventually, they may not fly south at all.

Oh, Hai, post buddy Uteen! Similar minds, no?

sounds good to me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Migration    Empty
PostSubject: Re: Migration    Migration    Empty

Back to top Go down

Migration
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Gameplay Stages :: Multicellular-
Jump to: