Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 Gas Planets

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lukas99
Newcomer


Posts : 41
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 21
Location : Error 404 location not found.

PostSubject: Gas Planets   Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:12 pm

This thread is here to discuss... gas gaints. Questions ranging from wether life is on them or not, to if colonies can be placed on them will be discussed here. If you have any gas giants related ideas post them here also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brown Spotted Kiwi
Newcomer


Posts : 44
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-07-14
Age : 19
Location : In the Sol System

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:07 pm

I think it would be possible for a empire to colonize a gas giant using a space station, like the ISS (International Space Station). Also, maybe a empire could "harvest" the gases in the atmosphere of a gas giant (nitrogen, oxygen, hydrogen, helium). It could be possible.... really long hoses and huge vacuums?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Poisson
Regular


Posts : 322
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 21
Location : AK (GMT -9)

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:24 pm

Maybe with vehicles similar to blimps they could harvest gases. Really long tubes are really likely to get really damaged by really big peices of debris going really fast. That's going to be really expensive to repair.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brown Spotted Kiwi
Newcomer


Posts : 44
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-07-14
Age : 19
Location : In the Sol System

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:32 pm

Good point! Maybe "gas" rigs (instead of oil) could be deployed in the atmosphere to suck up the gas and transport vehicles (Poisson's blimps) could ferry the gas to a space station from the rig.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Whatever people cook up that works. will work. I think we should definitely let you live on a gas planet.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invader
Experienced


Posts : 528
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-07-10
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:45 am

Maybe you could build a heavily armored space-station-like colony on the insides of a gas planet, for the stealth value.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:01 am

Aren't there layers of different gases in gas giants? Maybe you could create a station that 'floats' on top of one layer of gas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:19 am

Gas giants contain vast amounts of hydrogen. After a certain level of research, hydrogen will be a highly sought-after material. It can power cars, it is one of the easiest elements to atomically fuse, and the subatomic parts of hydrogen atoms could theoretically be used to construct atoms of any type. So, with the right tech object, a species with access to vast amounts of hydrogen could create any elements they lack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:24 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Gas giants contain vast amounts of hydrogen. After a certain level of research, hydrogen will be a highly sought-after material. It can power cars, it is one of the easiest elements to atomically fuse, and the subatomic parts of hydrogen atoms could theoretically be used to construct atoms of any type. So, with the right tech object, a species with access to vast amounts of hydrogen could create any elements they lack.

Hmm... But can't hydrogen become a burning ball of death? And we're taking it to planets in ships fuelled by burning hydrogen? That's asking for trouble...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:38 am

The Uteen wrote:
Hmm... But can't hydrogen become a burning ball of death? And we're taking it to planets in ships fuelled by burning hydrogen? That's asking for trouble...
I don't think hydrogen is burned... Hang on...

EDIT: No, hydrogen doesn't have a danger of burning. It has a danger of exploding! If a hydrogen leak ignites, it goes BOOM! So, yeah... Hydrogen might be a little instable. But if it used in fuel cells instead of as a fuel, it's safer. I think. I didn't quite understand it all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_economy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GamerXA
Regular


Posts : 285
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 28
Location : Australia, Queensland

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:09 am

Wouldn't Hydrogen only burn in the presence of Oxygen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:11 am

GamerXA wrote:
Wouldn't Hydrogen only burn in the presence of Oxygen.
I don't know. Is anyone here educated enough to answer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GamerXA
Regular


Posts : 285
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 28
Location : Australia, Queensland

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:12 am

Combustion can not occur if only one of the materials is present.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:28 pm

The Uteen wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Gas giants contain vast amounts of hydrogen. After a certain level of research, hydrogen will be a highly sought-after material. It can power cars, it is one of the easiest elements to atomically fuse, and the subatomic parts of hydrogen atoms could theoretically be used to construct atoms of any type. So, with the right tech object, a species with access to vast amounts of hydrogen could create any elements they lack.

Hmm... But can't hydrogen become a burning ball of death? And we're taking it to planets in ships fuelled by burning hydrogen? That's asking for trouble...
Yeah, calm down. Did you know that gasoline likes to essplode too? It's not that hard to contain something like hydrogen. Everyone's just afraid of it because of a certain airborne Nazi craft...

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invader
Experienced


Posts : 528
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-07-10
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:07 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Yeah, calm down. Did you know that gasoline likes to essplode too? It's not that hard to contain something like hydrogen. Everyone's just afraid of it because of a certain airborne Nazi craft...


Ahh... the Hindenburg. Sad story. However, the hydrogen would certainly be better-contained than on the ol' Hindenburg. I mean, this was about 70 years ago! Surely a highly intelligent, superior race could get it right.



And fire/sparks require oxygen. Thus, it requires oxygen to KABOOM hydrogen.


Last edited by InvaderZim on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:44 pm

InvaderZim wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Yeah, calm down. Did you know that gasoline likes to essplode too? It's not that hard to contain something like hydrogen. Everyone's just afraid of it because of a certain airborne Nazi craft...


Ahh... the Hindenburg. Sad story. However, the hydrogen would certainly be better-contained than on the ol' Hindenburg. I mean, this was about 70 years ago! Surely a highly intelligent, superior race could get it right.



And fire/sparks require oxygen. Thus, it requires oxygen to KABOOM hydrogen.
Yes.
So to settle this topic...
There will be gas giants in the game.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:49 pm

~sciocont wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Yeah, calm down. Did you know that gasoline likes to essplode too? It's not that hard to contain something like hydrogen. Everyone's just afraid of it because of a certain airborne Nazi craft...


Ahh... the Hindenburg. Sad story. However, the hydrogen would certainly be better-contained than on the ol' Hindenburg. I mean, this was about 70 years ago! Surely a highly intelligent, superior race could get it right.



And fire/sparks require oxygen. Thus, it requires oxygen to KABOOM hydrogen.
Yes.
So to settle this topic...
There will be gas giants in the game.
There will be gas giants, of course. The current conversation was more about whether extracting resources from gas giants was worthwhile or possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:52 pm

Obviously possible. If you want to do it, you can do it if you develop the technology. There shouldn't be any limits whatsoever on technology except for physical laws.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invader
Experienced


Posts : 528
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-07-10
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:54 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Obviously possible. If you want to do it, you can do it if you develop the technology. There shouldn't be any limits whatsoever on technology except for physical laws.



Definately agreed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:18 am

Consensus
/threadends

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DragonEye4
Regular


Posts : 220
Reputation : -1
Join date : 2010-07-14
Location : Somewhere

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:14 am

InvaderZim wrote:


Ahh... the Hindenburg. Sad story.
A bunch of Nazis blowing up is not that sad...

But, it appears we all agree in that gas giants can be settled. However, I do not think any life could develop on a gas giant other than maybe some microbes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:29 am

DragonEye4 wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:


Ahh... the Hindenburg. Sad story.
A bunch of Nazis blowing up is not that sad...

But, it appears we all agree in that gas giants can be settled. However, I do not think any life could develop on a gas giant other than maybe some microbes.

"Life will find a way"

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DragonEye4
Regular


Posts : 220
Reputation : -1
Join date : 2010-07-14
Location : Somewhere

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:39 pm

~sciocont wrote:
DragonEye4 wrote:
InvaderZim wrote:


Ahh... the Hindenburg. Sad story.
A bunch of Nazis blowing up is not that sad...

But, it appears we all agree in that gas giants can be settled. However, I do not think any life could develop on a gas giant other than maybe some microbes.

"Life will find a way"
OK, let me rephrase that:

I do not think it would be as likely for any macroscopic life to develop on a gas giant versus a rocky planet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invader
Experienced


Posts : 528
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2010-07-10
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:48 pm

Incredibly unlikely to develop, but still possible.


(I was under the impression that there were also people from other countries riding the Hindenburg :|)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koiboi59
Learner


Posts : 125
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2010-07-20
Location : Free Country USA

PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:51 pm

i like the idea of collecting gases from a gas giant and microscopic life in there but macroscopic life seems a bit farfetched, maybe if they turned into inflatable creatures that float on a certain type of gas maybe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Gas Planets   Today at 6:28 am

Back to top Go down
 
Gas Planets
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Get Involved-
Jump to: