Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Opening Cutscene

Go down 
+21
Shamanic W0lf
Immortal_Dragon
Tarpy
Jimexmore
Oliveriver
Daniferrito
dinoman9877
NickTheNick
Inca
PortalFan1000
~sciocont
Noitulove
gario10
2creator
specialk2121
Poisson
The Uteen
Gorbachof
Mysterious_Calligrapher
ido66667
Dudeman
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 4:50 pm

Oh I think it would be a great intro for the game too, but just not with any shots of the gameplay, only the universe creation and the zooming in to a planet.
Back to top Go down
Jimexmore
Newcomer
Jimexmore

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Tarpy wrote:
Jimexmore wrote:
NickTheNick wrote:
dinoman9877 wrote:
No...Just...No...Don't involve humanity in it. I don't want to see ANYTHING based around creation in this game. This is evolution, not genesis.

Don't be so hard on him, he was just suggesting an idea he found interesting for the game.
We should add that just to piss him off AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHAHA
... I cant believe you actually posted something like this
"Only reading what you want to read"
Libtard logic everyone.
"Your rights end were my feeling begin."

So in before thread derail this
How about we make a mini movie for the player at the end of the game Ex.godmode
like these events
when he first climbed onto land 'and dies'
when he first discovered fire 'and burn and dies'
when he build his first building 'and dies'
when he makes his first army 'and sortof dies'
when he goes into space 'and dies'
when he takes on a galaxy spanning empire 'AND WINS'
And more dynamic cutscenes everybody
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 5:07 pm

Jimexmore. Stop.

If you do not wish to contribute, and wish to further instigate conflict, or derail threads, you will get banned. This has been discussed amongst the mods already. This is your last chance. Any more offensive/irrelevant posts will be deleted.
Back to top Go down
Jimexmore
Newcomer
Jimexmore

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 7:49 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
Jimexmore. Stop.

If you do not wish to contribute, and wish to further instigate conflict, or derail threads, you will get banned. This has been discussed amongst the mods already. This is your last chance. Any more offensive/irrelevant posts will be deleted.

besides didn't you see my suggestions, dynamic cutscene
(So could we please get back to ideas now)
So how do we implement this, I don't know but maybe we set up moment where we record something like really good moments,"But how do we do this?" the answer is computers and programmers their smart maybe they'll come up with something i'll help where i can "Hopefully".
so good idea no?

God i need to learn programming. Soon
Back to top Go down
Shamanic W0lf
Newcomer
Shamanic W0lf

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 8:02 pm

Wait! what if we do both Dudeman and Ido's ideas together Think about how The Lord of the Rings intro did it, as an example.

it could go like this...

"All we know today, began as nothing."
*black screen*
"But in a flash there was light"
*Flash of white, followed by Big Bang*
"As time passed stars, planets, and universes formed in the thousands."
*shows multiple types of universes*
"Within many of these systems, Life was a challenge, but for some, they were able to "goldilocks" this fate."
*zooms in on random forming solar system*
"And so the true test began, will these planets die, or Thrive"
*Logo appears*
Menu screen
*Shows landscape with different in game creatures, and possibly user made creatures, changing view to a new landscape after a while. (landscapes can be in different stages of life from cell to space)

*click play and screen goes dark*
*New scene shows unformed planet being battered by meteors (from landscape point of view)*
*Time speeds up and planet surface changes rapidly forming a planet before plants, the ground has cooled, the oceans have formed*
*Sudden screen change, dark clouds and a clash of Thunder and Lightning in the sky*
*Zoom out to see the ocean being electrocuted multiple times, slowly but rising in speed the view flies over the ocean, until, u dive, and the screen darkens*
*enter cell creator with small amount of parts available*
*focus on playing field and in a shock of lightning your cell forms, and you begin playing.*

How is that for an idea, not bad?
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Sounds good to me. Would need someone with an epic voice though!
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 8:47 pm

My personal opinion is that such a cutscene should be short and simple just to excite the player when he's starting the game. It shouldn't show how life started on a certain planet as we don't really know either and and i think that was the idea of the developers - life has started somehow, the player is left to speculate on that. About the beginning of the universe thing it is just theory and math there too how do you imagine it in a video?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Good points. Nevertheless I think it's important we keep the intro's beginnings in space, and then zooming in to a planet. It could be on the dark side of a planet, that way you can't tell what it looks like and we could use the same intro scene for more start scenarios.
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 10:59 pm

I remember people saying my concept art looked like what would be good for a starting intro.
On the subject of creation I say we stay out of it. To whoever said this is evolution, not Genesis, I couldn't disagree more. This is intelligent design, whether you want to believe it or not. I'm not bashing Thrive here at all, but either you or the AI are the intelligent designer. True simulation of "evolution" would be to wait for millions of years for a bug in the reproduction code to cause a minor mutation on a creature. Anyway, scientific/philosophical/religious rant over.

Jimexmore, seriously, watch yourself.

Anyway, just keep it in space, leave out the creation of the universe. I agree with Tritium and Nick.
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 11:15 pm

WJacobC wrote:
Anyway, just keep it in space, leave out the creation of the universe. I agree with Tritium and Nick.

No I'm not against the creation of the universe, I'm just saying that it shouldn't only show the microbial tidepool. It should show space and the galaxy too.
Back to top Go down
Tritium
Newcomer
Tritium

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:10 am

I was actually asking seriously - how the beginning of the universe is gonna be displayed in a clip. Because the big bang looks nothing like a super nova, you could observe a super nova and it would indeed look like a giant explosion but you can't observe the big bang from some place near it when space and time are just being created, that black screen and then light makes no sense. The only coordinates you could inhabit are in the universe itself. Then again i might be wrong here, math and physics are a Belgium.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 8:24 am

Despite that, I think we should just show the big bang as if it was a supernova as in, black screen followed by huge explosion of everything from one point.
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 11:03 am

Tritium wrote:
I was actually asking seriously - how the beginning of the universe is gonna be displayed in a clip. Because the big bang looks nothing like a super nova, you could observe a super nova and it would indeed look like a giant explosion but you can't observe the big bang from some place near it when space and time are just being created, that black screen and then light makes no sense. The only coordinates you could inhabit are in the universe itself. Then again i might be wrong here, math and physics are a Belgium.

The actual explosion itself would make no sound and be invisible - the universe will be expanding faster than the speed of light, so no light will reach you before the universe's edge does. There'd be no particles to carry the sound either, so actually showing the Big Bang in a cutscene might be tricky. If we were to show the player the creation of the universe in this way, the first thing they'd see would be a dense yellow fog created by the scattering photons in the early universe. My idea would involve showing individual subatomic particles. We can't show that realistically either, as even an electron microscope can't see objects smaller than around the diameter of an atom. So we need some degree of abstraction whichever way we do it.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Jimexmore
Newcomer
Jimexmore

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 4:48 pm

WJacobC wrote:
I remember people saying my concept art looked like what would be good for a starting intro.
On the subject of creation I say we stay out of it. To whoever said this is evolution, not Genesis, I couldn't disagree more.  This is intelligent design, whether you want to believe it or not.  I'm not bashing Thrive here at all, but either you or the AI are the intelligent designer. True simulation of "evolution" would be to wait for millions of years for a bug in the reproduction code to cause a minor mutation on a creature. Anyway, scientific/philosophical/religious rant over.

Jimexmore, seriously, watch yourself.

Oh ya opening cutscene am sorry
we need a cutscene thread
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:36 pm

Okay, let me revise my statement. Like what Oliver said, it's too hard to show the creation of the universe that follows any theory (which may it may not be true). Also, who says life had to start so soon after the Big Bang? Different organisms will start their path to sentience at different times throughout history with billions of years difference. I again say lets just show the formation of that particular start system, which we've observed before and can prove.
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
Shamanic W0lf
Newcomer
Shamanic W0lf

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:46 pm

Ok so we simply have the universe formed, but instead of the big bang theory, we try something smaller like a superstar that goes super nova and the debree forms a small system that acts as the dialogue's story, the flash could be the star exploding. Just an option...
Back to top Go down
Mocha2007

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Here's my idea: No narration. You can send a message just as effectively without narration. But some slow music would really help.

Nothing too long or complex... probably something like

*Big bang*
*Galaxy and star system form*
*Focus on planet*
*System is a bit more stable now, comets impact the planet and add water*
Time now goes from really fast to real-time
*Focus on a marsh, coast, or hot spring* (Different each time)
*Suddenly, life*

The whole thing should take one minute, but no more than two minutes.

Does this sound good?
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 7:15 pm

For now, leave this thread to rest, until we have an actual game, then we can come back to it.
Back to top Go down
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 9:25 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
For now, leave this thread to rest, until we have an actual game, then we can come back to it.
Just one tiny recommendation before the silt settles;

If we narrate it, I say the eldest of us should narrate it. Give it a wise, spock-like narration. .3.

Also, for anyone who has watched 'The Universe' we should use clips of the actual sounds produced by spacial bodies in the game, maybe. Like the actual 'afterglow of the big bang' sounds. .3.
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Xeno_Corporation/index/
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 11:23 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 3:01 pm

Apologies for reviving an old thread that Nick specifically stated not to discuss anything in for now, but there's nowhere more appropriate to post the opening cutscene than the opening cutscene thread:

The vast majority of the credit should go to Thriving Cheese, who was originally responsible for the animation. All I did was create and match up the audio. Obviously, there needs to be a file the programmers can actually add to the game as oppose to just a YouTube video, so here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tl044rshajiqwt9/Opening%20Cutscene.wmv?dl=0 (if you need it compressed in some way due to size problems just say).

To make it clear, this is just a temporary opening cutscene. All of the ideas discussed in this thread could be considered in future, when we have a team with the necessary skills and time to improve upon it, but for now this is just a quick addition to the game to make it feel more game-like.

Also we need David Attenborough narrating the final cinematic. I will not rest until this is the case.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 4:47 am

I think to improve it you could make the scene fade out a bit slower, because currently it seems to end a bit abruptly. Other than that, is this intended for play when starting up the game? Or another instance?
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 12:33 pm

When starting up the game. As for slowing the ending, I can't really do anything about that as it's part of the animation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opening Cutscene   Opening Cutscene - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Opening Cutscene
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4