Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Interested programmer Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Interested programmer Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Interested programmer Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Interested programmer Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Interested programmer Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Interested programmer Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Interested programmer Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Interested programmer Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Interested programmer Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Interested programmer Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Interested programmer Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Interested programmer Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Interested programmer Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Interested programmer Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Interested programmer Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Interested programmer Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Interested programmer Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Interested programmer Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Interested programmer Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Interested programmer Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Interested programmer

Go down 
+7
Poisson
US_of_Alaska
The Uteen
Morsecode
Lukas99
~sciocont
Bashinerox
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

Interested programmer Empty
PostSubject: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 6:52 am

Okay, My name is Michael, and i am a professional programmer. I did contract work for private businesses in Australia. (I've returned to studies, I am studying game development and design.)

I'm here to help out.
I'm currently working on an engine and editor to create, manage and animate organic bodies. It's not currently deigned to do exaclty what is in the organic editor definition on this forum, but anything can be tweaked, and features can always be added. What it does do, however, is something that is feasible.
I will post the PM i sent to "The Thrive Team" on Indiedb, it pretty much explain everything.
I should be able to get a proof-of-concept working within the next few weeks, however you'll have to be patient, as i am not just hacking something together, I am actually building a proper framework and engine to build a game on.

Original PM:

Hi,

You mentioned many times that you are looking for coders.

I am a c/c++ programmer and am very interested in this game. I am actually currently working (as of about a week ago) a procedural spine, bone and muscle editor and engine which i think may be helpful to your cause.

Drop me a line if you are interested, and i will show you the proof-of-concept when it is completed.

Michael

P.S: Design draft I've been working out:
(This is a word for word copy of a voice recording)
(Note, as well, that the system is modular enough that a procedural "patch" can be applied which if used in acertain way, can mimic evolution of a base model (like a single celled organism, as in your case. This system, since it works in layered patches, also means that you can view any previous "evolutions" simply by walking back through patches)

It all begins with the B.E.A.T. (Bezier Extrusion At Timed intervals) Bone editor. You create a bezier curve, assign extrusion beats to each point, and it creates a custom bone for the next portion of the tool-chain.The B.E.A.T. (or just Beat) system is also used as part of the animation portion of the tool-chain. although the concept is used differently. More on that later.
Next you use the bones to create the layout of a creature in the Structure editor. This system is actually a form of Beat in that you give the bones a size at a specific age, and they will "grow" from age zero to that size at that age. There will be seperate views that can be set at different ages to allow you to tweak the bones to look good in all ages, a feature of which is also available in the structure editor.
Which brings me to the next portion. The muscle structure section of the structure editor. the muscles are a hardcoded form of bezier extrusion, kind of like a sausage with pointed ends. you set the mount points of the muscle and when it bends, compresses or stretches as part of the bone structure being animated, it will change shape accordingly (for instance if bent it will curl and "flex", increasing in diameter)

All portions of the bones are arranged in a sequential order (with a bone order pane on the left side of the editor) from bottom (of the spine) to top. this allows the Beat animation engine to propagate vibrations from say the feet upwards at a set rate. this allows for instance a giant T-REX whose head bobs slightly after each foot hits the ground, with fat inbetween "mexican waving" in sequence.

During all of this, an extra automated system, called the skin hull, wraps the structure in what is essentially skin.

Second to last, we have the BEAT animation system. this is a sine-wave based animation system that converts IK targets into sine waves, called "beats". the beats are saved, and can be edited, kinda like a synthesizer, by the game.

Finally, we have patches. These are templates, or packets of data that modify the structure or anything for that matter, in a modular way. Dependency enforcing (requiring a certain combination of patches (this can be exact, and patches can be enforced to be applied in a specific order)) is supported. for instance, you could have a patch that adds wings to the base human template (which itself is actually a collection of patches)

IK target limb types: There are at least two special hardcoded limb types (set with tags for the animation system). Arm limbs, and leg limbs. These do pretty much what they are named after. The BEAT animation system can auto-generate animations based on the positioning of leg and arm limbs in the sequence chain.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 9:47 am

Welcome to the thrive team!

This is simply superb. Michael, you are exactly the person we have been looking for. This editing and evolving system sounds almost too good to be true. I don't think anyone on earth could be better for our first official programmer, but unfortunately you have not shown up at a great time. As you can tell, we are slowly regrouping here and it will take a while to get everything back to normal. Until then, Please feel free to contact me with questions or updates as i am the master of the Organism editor concept.

Once again, we are very pleased to have you here!

Back to top Go down
Lukas99
Newcomer
Lukas99

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 1:26 pm

This is some really great news, I'm glad that Thrive has you on the team. I'm looking foward to seeing where this goes.
Back to top Go down
Morsecode

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 1:27 pm

That's excellent news. Not only will he help with the programming (obviously) but having someone working actively on it will add a lot of credibility to the project.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 1:47 pm

Morsecode wrote:
That's excellent news. Not only will he help with the programming (obviously) but having someone working actively on it will add a lot of credibility to the project.
He win't be helping he'll be doing.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 2:50 pm

I think I get it. What this is, is:

1. Exactly what we need!
2. A miracle!
3. Cool!
4. Supercalafragelisticexpiallydocious! (sp?)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPERCALAFRAGELISTICEXPIALLYDOCIOUSNESS!
Back to top Go down
Lukas99
Newcomer
Lukas99

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 4:48 pm

The Uteen wrote:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPERCALAFRAGELISTICEXPIALLYDOCIOUSNESS!
^this^
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:52 pm

Bash (can i call you that?), you are a legend. Everything we have been waiting for is right there in your post. We are all unendingly grateful for your time and effort. I cannot wait to see this thing take shape. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 1:11 am

Aha thankyou everyone,

I am working as had as i can, though I'm writing everything with expansion and development in mind. What i really need is a skin for the GUI.

http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

This is the api i am using for the GUI. I am currently using some crappy default skin, which looks terrible.
We need to either

A: build a new skin for it,

B: decide on an existing skin at: http://www.cegui.org.uk/skins/
Now, for some crazy reason theres only 6 skins to choose from, and i'm pretty sure that you dont want this thing too looks like a standard windows application (with grey buttons and all) so i think we should go with option A. As far as i know, creatinga news skin shouldnt be that hard. However, i am not an artist, so i pretty much cant do this
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 2:11 am

Sleekspace is the best looking one of the premade skins, but one made by us would probably be better. What about somethinf similar to the background for the forum? Though that may be better used for building tech. I think we had some skins, but they haven't been recovered yet.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 3:49 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Bash (can i call you that?), you are a legend. Everything we have been waiting for is right there in your post. We are all unendingly grateful for your time and effort. I cannot wait to see this thing take shape. Thanks again.

I prefer Bashi haha
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 6:31 am

Okay, well the cegui API is simply too unstable and undocumented, and i am wasting hours sifting through its headers just to find 1 funtion that I need. So, I am looking at alternatives, at the moment, Ill keep in touch in a new thread under Programming or something.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Just keep doing your best. There's no rush.
Back to top Go down
GamerXA
Regular
GamerXA

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 4:53 pm

We've been stagnant for a while, longer won't kill us.

Anyway.., Welcome to the forums. This sounds like a very good program.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:25 am

I have a suggestion! (Stop screaming please!)

As the editor will be avaliable in God Mode, I think we should have a gui that seems... Real. Possibly for organism editor it could be organic, and each editor would have a different one (tech could be metal).
Or we could make it suited to god mode specifically for God Mode, and have it galaxy themed, or something else to give you the feeling of power and control.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 12:23 pm

The Uteen wrote:

As the editor will be avaliable in God Mode, I think we should have a gui that seems... Real. Possibly for organism editor it could be organic, and each editor would have a different one (tech could be metal).
Or we could make it suited to god mode specifically for God Mode, and have it galaxy themed, or something else to give you the feeling of power and control.
Take this discussion to the correct section, please. It's a good idea, but we need to keep organized and on topic.
Back to top Go down
Poisson
Regular
Poisson

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 2:11 pm

~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

Take this discussion to the correct section, please. It's a good idea, but we need to keep organized and on topic.
It looked relivent to me. Bashi was asking for ideas aboutthe skin for the editor.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 2:32 pm

Poisson wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
The Uteen wrote:

It looked relivent to me. Bashi was asking for ideas aboutthe skin for the editor.

Yeah i was, and also, im no artist. That's actually why i started writing BEAT. So that i could create stuff without having to be an artist

When i finally settle in a gui api, ill look up how to modify the skin, post a tutorial along with an example program that shows how the gui will look, and then someone hopefully can get a skin or skins done up.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 2:42 am

Can't beleive I've never said "Welcome!" yet.

So, welcome to the Thrive team! Will we be able to use this said proof-of-concept editor?

Also, do you have any coder buddies? It would be much easier to make this game with a team, though with enough time and patience two (you & Grape) could get the job done.

Also also, sorry we didn't read the ModDB/IndieDB/whatever PM you sent us. We... we... lost the guy who made the account, which is the only guy who know the login details of the account. He left the project. He'll likely come back once your prototype/proof-of-concept editor is done. And also probably RedStar, if he is even still interested.

Also, the skin for your GUI? I pick the existing one, "Sleekspace".

Last edited by InvaderZim on Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 8:54 am

InvaderZim wrote:
Can't beleive I've never said "Welcome!" yet.

So, welcome to the Thrive team! Will we be able to use this said proof-of-concept editor?

Also, do you have any coder buddies? It would be much easier to make this game with a team, though with enough time and patience one (you) could get the job done.

Also also, sorry we didn't read the ModDB/IndieDB/whatever PM you sent us. We... we... lost the guy who made the account, which is the only guy who know the login details of the account. He left the project. He'll likely come back once your prototype/proof-of-concept editor is done. And also probably RedStar, if he is even still interested.
Also, the skin for your GUI? I pick the existing one, "Sleekspace".

Theres two programmers as of now, by the way. Papergrape on these forums. At the moment she's doing refactoring work and such, but that's because the codebas is rediculously small still. The stuff i have gotten her to do so far has been absolutely brilliant!

Oh and i've changed api's. The new api is extremely stable and actually works. Its called AGAR and is on http://www.libagar.org/
And i do have "coder buddies" but none of them are interested at this point. They've basically challenged me to come up with a prototype first, so we'll see.

And in response to using the proof of concept, it will be usable, but not useful. Thesecond or third stage prototype, however, will.

Also, we're not just coding some program to show off once and then ditch, the editor is built on top of a few engines that we are writing from scratch, and the entire codebase will continue to roll on through the game's development. This is the real deal.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 9:38 am

All great news Bashi, just remember to keep source code in a state that you can change it. We'll be reworking and debugging a ton.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 10:06 am

~sciocont wrote:
All great news Bashi, just remember to keep source code in a state that you can change it. We'll be reworking and debugging a ton.

The code is sitting on a cvs repository. every time a change is uploaded, an incremental backup is made, and the file can be rolled back to any point in history. Any and all changes can be undone at any time :3

Also, the code is completely compartmentalised (and papergrape is making sure of that at all times too)
Back to top Go down
Invader
Experienced
Invader

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Bashinerox wrote:

And i do have "coder buddies" but none of them are interested at this point. They've basically challenged me to come up with a prototype first, so we'll see.

Alright. So we may get more coders along the way?

Bashinerox wrote:
This is the real deal.

I know. I still can't beleive it.

Also, sometimes my posts can get rather awkward. This is because as I write a post, usually more and more things I want to say pop into my head, and I just make another paragraph for each one and it begins to be confusing. So if my posts don't make sense, that's why.
Back to top Go down
Bashinerox
Programming Team lead
Bashinerox

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 6:30 am

InvaderZim wrote:

Alright. So we may get more coders along the way?

Possibly.

InvaderZim wrote:

Also, sometimes my posts can get rather awkward. This is because as I write a post, usually more and more things I want to say pop into my head, and I just make another paragraph for each one and it begins to be confusing. So if my posts don't make sense, that's why.

I do exactly the same thing And then i try to get back to my original point, and end up reiterating myself..
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 2:56 pm

I do that all the time. I'm glad you're safeguarding all of this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interested programmer   Interested programmer Empty

Back to top Go down

Interested programmer
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next