Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
disasters - Calling all disasters Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Calling all disasters

Go down 
+17
Inca
Immortal_Dragon
Jimexmore
Narnobie123
PerfectOrganismil
Rorsten594
Orygandian2
Holomanga
PTFace
Hegataro
jmc-24
Commander Keen
Tenebrarum
BastianKraft
~sciocont
The Uteen
Mysterious_Calligrapher
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

disasters - Calling all disasters Empty
PostSubject: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 12:58 pm

I need a list of disasters and the lifeless new terrain they create, STAT.

So far I have:
Volcano:
Lava Flats
Pyroclastic wasteland
Caldera

Extreme Cold:
Taiga

Fire:
Scorched Terrain

Avalanche:
Rocklands

Send me anything else you think up.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 1:34 pm

Disease:
Biohazard (short-lived, not sure if it counts as a terrain)

Earthquake:
Hmm... Does it have to have lifeless terrain? This one doesn't seem to... It just jumbles stuff up a bit.

Meteor Impact:
Blast zone (lifeless but still habitable)
Scorched terrain? (If big enough)

Nuke:
Scorched terrain
Nuclear radiation zone. (what would the effect be? I'm no expert... But is nuclear radiation a cause of cancer? What else does it do? We can't just have: nuke = cancer, can we?)

Nuclear meltdown:
Toxic material area?
Whatever nuclear meltdowns do... Someone else should do this one, I know it's something bad. I might try a different area of disasters. Which leads into...

Planet Affected By Black Hole God Tool Through Alien Intervention:
Micro-post-exclusion-pricipal-super-gravity terrain.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 7:19 pm

Check the wiki page on disasters.
Back to top Go down
BastianKraft
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 6:32 am

Quote :
Nuke:
Scorched terrain
Nuclear radiation zone. (what would the effect be? I'm no expert... But is nuclear radiation a cause of cancer? What else does it do? We can't just have: nuke = cancer, can we?)

Nuclear meltdown:
Toxic material area?
Whatever nuclear meltdowns do... Someone else should do this one, I know it's something bad. I might try a different area of disasters. Which leads into...

A Nuke would just do alot of collateral damage and scorch the terrain. The radiation isnt very strong (depends on how big the bomb is and how dirty its built) In hiroshima and Nagasakia it raised the cancer rate by 1% so... instead of 40/100 people dieng because of cancer it was then 41/100. It just destroys the city where its dropped and the military units there pretty badly(biggest tested bomd had a destuction radius of 32Km or something like that). The Electro-Magnetic-Pulse would stop all electronic devices from working. But engines that use diesel would still work because they have no spark plugs. That effect leaded to the creation of the internet because the Americans started connecting all thier underground HQs with underground cables so they can still communicate after the radio communication stops working. After a while more and more computers got connected and then well..... what am i using now? (maybe atomic bombs should lead to the invention of the internet in the tech tree)

Nuclear meltdown: Huge radiation fallout, doesnt do very much material damage. (Fallout area) The animals and "humans or whatever" in the area start dieing. Mutations start appearing in the area. Birthrate sinks in a huge area (continent)

A modern military conflict should count as i disaster (from WW1 till today):
Scorched Earth/Warzone: Craters, burnt earth, destroyed forests, collateral damage, disease
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 10:45 am

You're right. I should include trenched lands under the tab for civ-induced disasters and biomes...

Disease will be a function of population, it doesn't change the terrain at all. Blast radius for impacts and nukes is going to need some work...

Good job, guys - I'm going to need some more natural ones too, so keep it up.

@ Scio: We have a disasters page? And you couldn't tell me this the first time I asked?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 12:04 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
You're right. I should include trenched lands under the tab for civ-induced disasters and biomes...

Disease will be a function of population, it doesn't change the terrain at all. Blast radius for impacts and nukes is going to need some work...

Good job, guys - I'm going to need some more natural ones too, so keep it up.

@ Scio: We have a disasters page? And you couldn't tell me this the first time I asked?
I made it a little over a week ago. I don't remember you asking.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:15 pm

Of course you don't. Well, I found it now, and I'm dealing with it.
Back to top Go down
BastianKraft
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:24 pm

What about Thunderstorms, tornados and hurricanes?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 3:11 pm

Quick note on nukes:

Radiation poisoning. You get big gaps in your DNA sequence, so your body starts to deteriorate as your cells essentially forget how to hold onto eachother or work. First goes the hair and nails. Then the skin, and the eyes. If you're not dead then, your insides start to fall apart.

This is why nukes suck big fat donkey dicks.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 4:23 pm

Another quick note for nukes: Plants are able to take very strong alpha, beta and gamma radiation and still survive. They even store the radiation inside them as they live and reproduce. That's why in the Chernobyl Zone, the only safe place are the roads. Plants directly next to those roads contain up to 1000x more radiation than the roads.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 10:38 pm

Another quick fact about nukes (nuclear disasters)- they often have a greater psychological toll than a physical toll. Scientists estimate the low amount of recovery and the high rates of depression and poverty around chernobyl today cause more damage to the people there than the radiation ever could. The people see themselves as victims rather than survivors. It's an extremely sad aftereffect of the event.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 10:47 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Another quick fact about nukes (nuclear disasters)- they often have a greater psychological toll than a physical toll. Scientists estimate the low amount of recovery and the high rates of depression and poverty around chernobyl today cause more damage to the people there than the radiation ever could. The people see themselves as victims rather than survivors. It's an extremely sad aftereffect of the event.

Slightly Off-Topic:
Psychology is going to be one of the belguming trickiest things we'll have to play with when making this game.
Back to top Go down
jmc-24
Newcomer
jmc-24

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySat May 12, 2012 4:55 am

Forest fires would be a good one
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySat May 12, 2012 1:15 pm

jmc-24 wrote:
Forest fires would be a good one

All right, they'd get scorched terrain but with a high percentage of carbon as a resource. Good.
Back to top Go down
Hegataro
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySat May 12, 2012 1:36 pm

Some disaster ideas of mine :
Sandstorm : Would leave behind sand dunes.
Overgrowth : Would cover everything in plants. Not much of a disaster, but could destroy everything you have built up to now.
Drying : Would start lowering sea levels and all that stuff.
Increased vulcanic activity : Growing global temperature, volcanos everywhere... Also lava.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySat May 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Hegataro wrote:
Some disaster ideas of mine :
Sandstorm : Would leave behind sand dunes. Good - shifted sand dunes, as there would already be some in a desert.
Overgrowth : Would cover everything in plants. Not much of a disaster, but could destroy everything you have built up to now. Algal blooms and eutrophication are the most common form of this, though a massive plant growth and die-off on land would definitely lead to a drop down a level or so of sucession, if not a completely barren landscape. We'll be paying more attention to this when we have Ocean biomes done. No word yet on how I'm going to manage those...
Drying : Would start lowering sea levels and all that stuff. On land, "drought" would decreaswe water resources but not change the terrain or succession until the actual plants (since sucession is based on plant presence) started to die off.
Increased vulcanic activity : Growing global temperature, volcanos everywhere... Also lava.Think we might have it already, but thanks!

All great disaster ideas, though some will have to be handled with mechanics that have nothing to do with a terrain or a barren (sucession stage 0) area. Keep em coming, I'll sort them later.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySat May 12, 2012 8:37 pm

No matter how impossible it seems, I would love to see a nuclear volcano in which instead of lava it would pour out liquid uranium or polonium.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySat May 12, 2012 8:39 pm

Doesn't mean you're getting one, duckling.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySat May 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Figured. A planet hot enough to melt uranium that close to the surface would have no water
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySat May 12, 2012 8:51 pm

PTFace wrote:
Figured. A planet hot enough to melt uranium that close to the surface would have no water

Not to mention that there's never going to be enough uranium....
Back to top Go down
jmc-24
Newcomer
jmc-24

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySun May 13, 2012 8:34 am

Would an ice age come under this? the expansion of the ice caps to cover large areas of the planet?

Last edited by jmc-24 on Sun May 13, 2012 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySun May 13, 2012 12:16 pm

jmc-24 wrote:
Would a ice age come under this? the expansion of the ice caps to cover large areas of the planet?

Yup. They'd convert larger areas to Taiga and Tundra. However, they're less of a disaster than a global shifting of biomes and weather patterns, so we don't exactly have a new stage 0 terrain for them... oh, who am I kidding, this thread stopped being about stage 0 areas a while ago. We might as well just discuss the differential mechanics of disasters from now on.
Back to top Go down
jmc-24
Newcomer
jmc-24

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySun May 13, 2012 1:37 pm

Yup. They'd convert larger areas to Taiga and Tundra. However, they're less of a disaster than a global shifting of biomes and weather patterns, so we don't exactly have a new stage 0 terrain for them... oh, who am I kidding, this thread stopped being about stage 0 areas a while ago. We might as well just discuss the differential mechanics of disasters from now on.

Alright. What about asteroids?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySun May 13, 2012 3:03 pm

jmc-24 wrote:

Alright. What about asteroids?
Covered.
Back to top Go down
jmc-24
Newcomer
jmc-24

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters EmptySun May 13, 2012 4:25 pm

Okay, I'll keep them coming. Tsunamis? flooding?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   disasters - Calling all disasters Empty

Back to top Go down

Calling all disasters
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next