Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Calling all disasters - Page 2 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Calling all disasters

Go down 
+17
Inca
Immortal_Dragon
Jimexmore
Narnobie123
PerfectOrganismil
Rorsten594
Orygandian2
Holomanga
PTFace
Hegataro
jmc-24
Commander Keen
Tenebrarum
BastianKraft
~sciocont
The Uteen
Mysterious_Calligrapher
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Holomanga
Newcomer

Calling all disasters - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptySun May 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Aren't there lakes that contain large amounts of dissolved carbon monoxide or something (I'm sure I read about them somewhere...)? They could kill off any oxygen breathing life there.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptySun May 13, 2012 7:15 pm

Hurrah! C02 in lakes leads to Carbonic acid, (The lakes with it are Lake Nyos, Monoun, and Kivu in the Congo - they're situated on top of a magma pocket. Nothing lives in them, and if disturbed they can blanket the countryside with gas, killing everything that breathes oxygen.)
Back to top Go down
jmc-24
Newcomer
jmc-24

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 10:50 am

similar to those lakes, tar pits
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 11:20 am

jmc-24 wrote:
Microbiomes, just like geothermal features (geysers, hot springs, fumaroles, mud pots) will be.
Back to top Go down
jmc-24
Newcomer
jmc-24

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 11:23 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
jmc-24 wrote:
Microbiomes, just like geothermal features (geysers, hot springs, fumaroles, mud pots) will be.

Ah okay, would quicksand fit into that aswell then?
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 3:14 pm

jmc-24 wrote:
Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
jmc-24 wrote:

Ah okay, would quicksand fit into that aswell then?

Probably that or a randomly allocated resource spot (even though I have no idea what one would use it for...)
Back to top Go down
Orygandian2
Newcomer

Location : In the middle of nowhere, calling for pizza delivery.

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 7:47 pm

Old topic? Yes

Old enough to be considered necroposting? NOT QUITE.

Anyway, I thought of disasters that occur on a planetary scale:

1. Planet falling out of orbit:

Very unlikely (One to ten thousand for the chances?), the planet falls out of orbit from its solar system. Not really sure what terrain it would leave, though.

2. Planetary collision:

Once again, very unlikely (same chances as planet falling out of orbit) but this time it would cause a bunch of asteroids. (I now have a new biome idea.)

3. Supernova:

The chances of this happening are one to one hundred thousand. Doesn't really leave any terrain behind.

4. Galactic collision:

The chances of this happening are one to five hundred thousand. Not really sure about terrain.

5. The big crunch:

The players universe collapses into one area until the universe is gone. No terrain. One to one million chances.

6. The big freeze:

The players universe expands so much it becomes to cold to sustain life. Not sure about terrain. One to one million chances.

7. the big rip:

Every bit of matter is torn apart. No terrain. One to one million chances.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 7:13 pm

Orygandian2 wrote:
Old topic? Yes

1. Planet falling out of orbit: Seems fun but I suppose no one will have to invent terrain as anything living on that planet is, to put it politely, toast.

Very unlikely (One to ten thousand for the chances?), the planet falls out of orbit from its solar system. Not really sure what terrain it would leave, though.

2. Planetary collision:

Once again, very unlikely (same chances as planet falling out of orbit) but this time it would cause a bunch of asteroids. (I now have a new biome idea.)

If you don't see anything else on this thread about asteroid/meteor impact sites, count yourself as the first to propose this.

3. Supernova:

The chances of this happening are one to one hundred thousand. Doesn't really leave any terrain behind. Or anything else. This is actually a certainty at the end of the correct type of star's life: the odds of life evolving near a star that close to it's natural death or surviving long enough to try and outlive their star are infinitesimal.

4. Galactic collision:

The chances of this happening are one to five hundred thousand. Not really sure about terrain.
I believe that you have astronomy on the brain. I'm also going to go with this as a "game ends, try again" disaster, much like the orbit failure and supernova. Also, we have no idea (to my admittedly limited knowledge of astronomy) of what would happen if this occurs.

5. The big crunch:

The players universe collapses into one area until the universe is gone. No terrain. One to one million chances.

6. The big freeze:

The players universe expands so much it becomes to cold to sustain life. Not sure about terrain. One to one million chances.

7. the big rip:

On that note, I'm fairly uncomfortable with modeling the last three universe-ending disasters and assigning random chances (especially comparatively good chances with no qualifications about whether it happens to one in a million universes or after one in a million generic disaster rolls: the first is kind of un-doable, the second is way, way too common: your world rolling for a disaster would happen multiple times a generation, you might get a universe death after ten hours of gameplay,) to them, because they're currently all just theories, and by the time anyone is in a position to prove them, no one will be in a position to care. None of them really apply to making disturbed terrains either. The asteroid one is useful, and all of the physics is fun, just not necessarily useful for this topic. Still, thanks for resuscitating the thread!
Back to top Go down
Orygandian2
Newcomer

Location : In the middle of nowhere, calling for pizza delivery.

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 10:20 pm

Just doing my civic duties!
Back to top Go down
Rorsten594
Newcomer
Rorsten594

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 11:39 am

Orygandian2 wrote:
Old topic? Yes

1. Planet falling out of orbit:

2. Planetary collision:

3. Supernova:

The chances of this happening are one to one hundred thousand. Doesn't really leave any terrain behind.

4. Galactic collision:

5. The big crunch:

6. The big freeze:

7. the big rip:

What about plantery diasters like an earthquake or tidal wave?
Back to top Go down
PerfectOrganismil
Newcomer
PerfectOrganismil

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 2:54 pm

GAMMA RAYS:
This occurs after a nearby star goes supernova. If the rays hit the planet pretty much all life on the planet except for deep sea life and borrowers would go extinct. Creates a planetwide desert. Besides the oceans though.
SUPERVOLCANO:
Think of this like the yellowstone volcano. If it were to go off everything within 100 miles would die off. Wastelands would be created as well as scorched ground and boiling water.
GLOBAL WARMING:
A result of climate change or fossil fuels. This would melt the polar caps and start raising the sea level. This make continents and other landmasses smaller than they were before due to an increased sea level flooding all the coasts.
HURRICANE:
Large waves and destroyed beaches/ buildings. Trees knocked down litter the landscape.
TORNADO:
Depending on which way it goes a trail of dirt with nothing on it will be on the trail due to the tornado ripping things up.
Back to top Go down
Narnobie123
Newcomer
Narnobie123

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 5:20 pm

PerfectOrganismil wrote:
GAMMA RAYS:
This occurs after a nearby star goes supernova. If the rays hit the planet pretty much all life on the planet except for deep sea life and borrowers would go extinct. Creates a planetwide desert. Besides the oceans though.
SUPERVOLCANO:
Think of this like the yellowstone volcano. If it were to go off everything within 100 miles would die off. Wastelands would be created as well as scorched ground and boiling water.
GLOBAL WARMING:
A result of climate change or fossil fuels. This would melt the polar caps and start raising the sea level. This make continents and other landmasses smaller than they were before due to an increased sea level flooding all the coasts.
HURRICANE:
Large waves and destroyed beaches/ buildings. Trees knocked down litter the landscape.
TORNADO:
Depending on which way it goes a trail of dirt with nothing on it will be on the trail due to the tornado ripping things up.

I like the Gamma ray super volcano and global warming idea. :D 
Back to top Go down
Jimexmore
Newcomer
Jimexmore

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 9:20 pm

How about destructive terraforming like from war of the worlds or warhammer 40k

Destructive terraforming
Stronger alien race terraforming the selected planet
may or may not kill the race already living on the planet and may result in galaxy war
Of course I may or may not just described all the events in this forum but the adding of new lifeforms landing of troops, of course it probably could be done peacefully.Probably
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 9:40 pm

Okay, how about the opposite of the global warming, the Ice Age.

The Ice Age is a cooling of the global temperature, ice caps expand and air becomes dryer as snow starts falling closer and closer to the equator. It would be a race of evolution to adapt to the colder temperatures, evolving thicker fur or blubber.

To take it to an extreme, what I call the Deep Freeze. This is an extreme drop in the global temperatures where deep snows cover the planet and the oceans themselves freeze, creating a snowball planet. Only a sapient species could hope to survive this happening through evacuation or adapting their cities and tech to the cold. Could be preceded by an Ice Age or be brought upon at random.

If this has already been brought up, then I apologize for my laziness.

Last edited by Immortal_Dragon on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 11:55 am

For all these disasters, I think they should only occur if it is possible for the player to adapt and survive. Therses no point just killing off the player. These should only occur to make unusual exciting gameplay and to challenge the player, not to just kill the game because its possible in the real world.
Back to top Go down
http://soundcloud.com/inca_uk
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Inca wrote:
For all these disasters, I think they should only occur if it is possible for the player to adapt and survive. Therses no point just killing off the player. These should only occur to make unusual exciting gameplay and to challenge the player, not to just kill the game because its possible in the real world.

Actually, thats something we alredy agreed on. Just killing the player without any chance of survival is rude.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 4:48 pm

Yeah, that probably goes without saying anyway.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 7:22 pm

That's why these disasters have warning signs in nature, the sea retreats from shore before a tsunami, and a tornado is preceded by a strong storm.
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Yeah that would be really good if you see the warning signs and then can prepare for it.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 3:17 am

But some disasters are unavoidable. If a star goes supernova, it doesn't matter how many giant neon signs there are warning you of the impending doom, you will go extinct.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 11:23 am

There are some disasters which would not be escapable until much later in the game, after interstellar flight. (The "sun" going supernova, for example.) Since these would be an automatic game-over during the early phases, my vote is that we do not include them until the stage in the game where they can be researched, predicted, and escaped. Fortunately, most of the cataclysmic, automatic end-of-the-world scenarios are enormously rare, and the chances that they happen will be programmed accordingly.

That said, things like supervolcanoes, which might cause mass extinctions but will not end all life on the planet, are still on the table as far as I am concerned. They will cause massive fatalities, but unless you are playing a species with an enormously restricted range, which is actually incapable of movement (who here besides me wants to play a rare tree?) they should not automatically cause extinction of the player species, or indeed any other species which has the capability to get away, or at least a population that is sufficiently far from the epicenter of the disaster. This would force accelerated adaptation and evolution, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

As for galaxy-crushing disasters, my vote is that we don't include them, because the chances are extremely low, especially accounting for the random disaster timer, which would roll the chances of a disaster every set amount of game play time. So if the chances of our galaxy being sideswiped by another 100,000,000,000 years from now are one in ten, that's really one in 10 to the power of 100,000,000,000, which is a stupid-large number for us to be carrying about in our computers when we have more common disasters.

I'm officially open to the discussion of generating common disasters, in sandbox mode at least, but let's not forget that Sim City's Godzilla invasion is not a natural disaster.8) 
Back to top Go down
Inca
Regular
Inca

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 11:40 am

Ok so basically everything apart from unavoidable disasters are fair game?
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 11:46 am

Inca wrote:
Ok so basically everything apart from unavoidable disasters are fair game?

During discussion/brainstorming, yes. We can narrow down what is actually likely or programmable later.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 11:47 am

I think it was decided that the rate and type of disasters would be based on difficulty. In easy mode, there'll be no species-destroying disasters and low likelihood of less destructive ones. Medium or normal mode will have species-destroying disasters when you can do something about it, such as a supernova when you have the technology to escape. Hard mode may have a much higher chance of smaller and medium sized disasters, and in extreme/hardcore mode, there will be a chance that your star could go supernova without you knowing anything about it beforehand and not having a chance to react.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Oliveriver wrote:
I think it was decided that the rate and type of disasters would be based on difficulty. In easy mode, there'll be no species-destroying disasters and low likelihood of less destructive ones. Medium or normal mode will have species-destroying disasters when you can do something about it, such as a supernova when you have the technology to escape. Hard mode may have a much higher chance of smaller and medium sized disasters, and in extreme/hardcore mode, there will be a chance that your star could go supernova without you knowing anything about it beforehand and not having a chance to react.

*Checks*
Thank you for the update.

However, knowing the frequency of disasters so we can do a basic random-chance is still important. In Medium/Normal mode, we won't have, say, supernovas pre-spaceflight or the collision of the galaxy with another. Things that have a 1 in 100 chance of happening are still a higher priority for brainstorming, at least to my mind, than things with a probability of 1 in 10 e 100,000,000,000. That said, we'll file whatever people come up with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calling all disasters   Calling all disasters - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Calling all disasters
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next