Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 Microbe Stage Final Draft

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
zippybomb
Newcomer


Posts : 73
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2012-06-13
Age : 18
Location : Vancouver, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:23 am

~sciocont wrote:
I'm thinking we start the game in an ocean vent environment. regardless of where and how life began, vents probably played a role in the development of eukaryotic life (plants, protists, animals, fungi [not bacteria and archaebacteria]), and that's what we care about for the game.

Scientists have theorized that if life is to happen on a planet it will happen within a couple hundred thousand years. If the chemicals are there, its not like they're just going to sit around for a few million years and then decide to create life. So, volcanic vents being meeting points for tons of different elements, I think that would be a pretty good place for life to spark. And there is a huge amount of energy coming out of there. So, life being life and finding pretty much every conceivable way to live possible, i'm sure they'd find a way to harvest that like they have on earth. So, I agree with that plan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MeowMan1
Regular


Posts : 255
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2012-03-04
Age : 17
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:27 am

yes, I saw something on tv, that said volcanoes may have played a HUGE role in the creation of life on Earth, so underwater vents, are kinda like underwater volcanoes, in a way I guess.
So I agree, that would be a good place to start.
what else would You guys like to mention?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zippybomb
Newcomer


Posts : 73
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2012-06-13
Age : 18
Location : Vancouver, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Well, the microbes that live on earth's volcanic vents have a symbiotic relationship with a tubeworm that also lives there. They cover the tubeworms body to protect it from the intense heat and the tubeworm in turn gives them some of the nutrients it sifts from the nutrient-rich waters of the vent. Maybe it could be possible for you to form a symbiotic bond with some sort of animal or other cell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MeowMan1
Regular


Posts : 255
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2012-03-04
Age : 17
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:31 pm

interesting! Sciocont, what do You think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:43 pm

zippybomb wrote:
Well, the microbes that live on earth's volcanic vents have a symbiotic relationship with a tubeworm that also lives there. They cover the tubeworms body to protect it from the intense heat and the tubeworm in turn gives them some of the nutrients it sifts from the nutrient-rich waters of the vent. Maybe it could be possible for you to form a symbiotic bond with some sort of animal or other cell.
Symbiosis, specifically endosymbiotic theory, plays a big role in microbe stage.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Holomanga
Newcomer


Posts : 83
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2012-04-01
Age : 18
Location : Earth

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:41 am

I think Multicellular- and Aware-stage life should exist in the microbial stage if you play long enough. Thta way you could become some kind of parasite, which would be fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:40 am

Holomanga wrote:
I think Multicellular- and Aware-stage life should exist in the microbial stage if you play long enough. Thta way you could become some kind of parasite, which would be fun.
Multicellular single cell? I don't think you would need to be an aware cell to become a parasite. Malaria has no idea what it's doing, but it's still a parasite.
Back to top Go down
zippybomb
Newcomer


Posts : 73
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2012-06-13
Age : 18
Location : Vancouver, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:36 pm

Gryphogrox wrote:
Holomanga wrote:
I think Multicellular- and Aware-stage life should exist in the microbial stage if you play long enough. Thta way you could become some kind of parasite, which would be fun.
Multicellular single cell? I don't think you would need to be an aware cell to become a parasite. Malaria has no idea what it's doing, but it's still a parasite.

Malaria is a disease, it's literally DNA in a shell. When it infects someone it goes into their body, attaches itself to one their cells and gets that cell to start reproducing copies of itself. Imagine Mr. Smith from the Matrix.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:44 pm

zippybomb wrote:
Gryphogrox wrote:
Holomanga wrote:
I think Multicellular- and Aware-stage life should exist in the microbial stage if you play long enough. Thta way you could become some kind of parasite, which would be fun.
Multicellular single cell? I don't think you would need to be an aware cell to become a parasite. Malaria has no idea what it's doing, but it's still a parasite.

Malaria is a disease, it's literally DNA in a shell. When it infects someone it goes into their body, attaches itself to one their cells and gets that cell to start reproducing copies of itself. Imagine Mr. Smith from the Matrix.
Well, it is still a parasite, the definition of parasite is "An organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense." The host would be the red blood cells.
On topic: How will viral gameplay work anyway? I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but I haven't seen it anywhere.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:11 pm

zippybomb wrote:
Gryphogrox wrote:
Holomanga wrote:
I think Multicellular- and Aware-stage life should exist in the microbial stage if you play long enough. Thta way you could become some kind of parasite, which would be fun.
Multicellular single cell? I don't think you would need to be an aware cell to become a parasite. Malaria has no idea what it's doing, but it's still a parasite.

Malaria is a disease, it's literally DNA in a shell. When it infects someone it goes into their body, attaches itself to one their cells and gets that cell to start reproducing copies of itself. Imagine Mr. Smith from the Matrix.
You're thinking of a virus here. Viruses are just DNA (or RNA) in a protein coat that hijacks other cells to replicate itself. Malaria is caused by a parasite, a unicellular protist called plasmodium.
When we release multicellular, we'll probably introduce microbial biomes that are the skin and insides of multicellular organisms.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zippybomb
Newcomer


Posts : 73
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2012-06-13
Age : 18
Location : Vancouver, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:18 pm

~sciocont wrote:
zippybomb wrote:
Gryphogrox wrote:
Holomanga wrote:
I think Multicellular- and Aware-stage life should exist in the microbial stage if you play long enough. Thta way you could become some kind of parasite, which would be fun.
Multicellular single cell? I don't think you would need to be an aware cell to become a parasite. Malaria has no idea what it's doing, but it's still a parasite.

Malaria is a disease, it's literally DNA in a shell. When it infects someone it goes into their body, attaches itself to one their cells and gets that cell to start reproducing copies of itself. Imagine Mr. Smith from the Matrix.
You're thinking of a virus here. Viruses are just DNA (or RNA) in a protein coat that hijacks other cells to replicate itself. Malaria is caused by a parasite, a unicellular protist called plasmodium.
When we release multicellular, we'll probably introduce microbial biomes that are the skin and insides of multicellular organisms.

Ya, sorry, i'm tired today. Anyways, when the cell starts out, will multi-cellular animals have already evolved? Because if they have, then later you also evolve into a multi-cellular organism, I mean, that wouldn't be very likely. I mean, that would be like two completely non-related fish both evolving into salamander-like creatures, it's like a one in a billion chance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:28 pm

There might be multicellular animals that evolve before you, yes.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MeowMan1
Regular


Posts : 255
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2012-03-04
Age : 17
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:38 am

I was wondering about that...good, cause I want some competition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theusfilipe
Newcomer


Posts : 48
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2012-05-02
Location : Brazil, Rio

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:58 pm

Hey there guys so look, I am not happy at all with them so I will show only some. Here is the Cooker, Plater, Light Eater and the Defender. The little tubes of the cooker are not aligned, the light eater looks useless without a proper material and the plater isn't symetrical. I am only happy with the defender but I think it could be better.
3D Cells

Now I am entering the test weeks so I will be gone for some time, but after that is school's vacation and I will be here... a lot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
penumbra espinosa
Learner


Posts : 139
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2010-09-10
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Theusfilipe wrote:
Hey there guys so look, I am not happy at all with them so I will show only some. Here is the Cooker, Plater, Light Eater and the Defender. The little tubes of the cooker are not aligned, the light eater looks useless without a proper material and the plater isn't symetrical. I am only happy with the defender but I think it could be better.
3D Cells

Now I am entering the test weeks so I will be gone for some time, but after that is school's vacation and I will be here... a lot.

HOLY BELGIUM!!!, those are 3D models? O_O
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theusfilipe
Newcomer


Posts : 48
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2012-05-02
Location : Brazil, Rio

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:12 pm

Well yeah... I've said I would make 3D models. I mean we already have 2D models, I based them around those. But they are just a base for more complex cells, they are just a prototype without proper and workable parts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GreatGranpapy
Newcomer


Posts : 14
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-07-15
Age : 18
Location : Houston, Tx

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:15 pm

Will the direction you face matter when it comes to gathering the various substances necessary for your creatures life, and the stabbing of other organisms with your pylus?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 2312
Reputation : 175
Join date : 2012-07-22
Age : 20
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:09 am

Guys, this all sounds amazing and all, but is there an estimate as to when the microbe stage will be ready for release?

_________________
Look at how far we've come when people thought we'd get nowhere. Imagine how far we can go if we try to get somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doggit
Regular


Posts : 444
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2012-04-28
Location : Italy

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:16 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Guys, this all sounds amazing and all, but is there an estimate as to when the microbe stage will be ready for release?

Some time ago it was thought that the phase microbe would be ready in late 2012. Now instead we believe that at the end of 2012 there will be just another prototype.

Personally I hope it is fully ready in late 2012, but I can not tell for sure since I'm not a programmer.

P.s. sorry for my bad english

_________________

My Themes: Here

You are a music composer and you can help us? Three simple rules:
1) Have or create a youtube channel
2) Publish the music on youtube (with a picture that relates to the song)
3) Publish it in the appropriate section of the forum.

Then I and Oliveriver will evaluate the song. :)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 2312
Reputation : 175
Join date : 2012-07-22
Age : 20
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Doggit wrote:
NickTheNick wrote:
Guys, this all sounds amazing and all, but is there an estimate as to when the microbe stage will be ready for release?

Some time ago it was thought that the phase microbe would be ready in late 2012. Now instead we believe that at the end of 2012 there will be just another prototype.

Personally I hope it is fully ready in late 2012, but I can not tell for sure since I'm not a programmer.

P.s. sorry for my bad english

Dont worry, your English was great. We really need to pick up the pace around here. It is VITALLY important that the microbe stage be finished before next year! So many people that I have gotten interetested into this game have given up on it, because they think weve given up on it!

I know everyone here is a volunteer and all, but we need to start setting some deadlines and working harder! Everyone needs to give an increased effort, and we need to try in all respects to find more programmers!!!

I will take this message to the top, see how it is recieved, because this matter is of the utmost importance

_________________
Look at how far we've come when people thought we'd get nowhere. Imagine how far we can go if we try to get somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doggit
Regular


Posts : 444
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2012-04-28
Location : Italy

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:17 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
Doggit wrote:
NickTheNick wrote:
Guys, this all sounds amazing and all, but is there an estimate as to when the microbe stage will be ready for release?

Some time ago it was thought that the phase microbe would be ready in late 2012. Now instead we believe that at the end of 2012 there will be just another prototype.

Personally I hope it is fully ready in late 2012, but I can not tell for sure since I'm not a programmer.

P.s. sorry for my bad english

Dont worry, your English was great. We really need to pick up the pace around here. It is VITALLY important that the microbe stage be finished before next year! So many people that I have gotten interetested into this game have given up on it, because they think weve given up on it!

I know everyone here is a volunteer and all, but we need to start setting some deadlines and working harder! Everyone needs to give an increased effort, and we need to try in all respects to find more programmers!!!

I will take this message to the top, see how it is recieved, because this matter is of the utmost importance

I know everyone needs to help .. how can the project. I personally in a month I managed to make the musical themes of all stages (apart from that tribe, but I'm working) and some stages are more themes (phase microbe and multicellular).
Right now I'm working on new themes.

Unfortunately, the most difficult job is to know and use C + + and other functions.

Supporters of the project that do not participate "actively" to the production of the game should advertising, advertising and advertising.

You know c + +?

_________________

My Themes: Here

You are a music composer and you can help us? Three simple rules:
1) Have or create a youtube channel
2) Publish the music on youtube (with a picture that relates to the song)
3) Publish it in the appropriate section of the forum.

Then I and Oliveriver will evaluate the song. :)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 2312
Reputation : 175
Join date : 2012-07-22
Age : 20
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:00 pm

Doggit wrote:
NickTheNick wrote:
Doggit wrote:
NickTheNick wrote:
Guys, this all sounds amazing and all, but is there an estimate as to when the microbe stage will be ready for release?

Some time ago it was thought that the phase microbe would be ready in late 2012. Now instead we believe that at the end of 2012 there will be just another prototype.

Personally I hope it is fully ready in late 2012, but I can not tell for sure since I'm not a programmer.

P.s. sorry for my bad english

Dont worry, your English was great. We really need to pick up the pace around here. It is VITALLY important that the microbe stage be finished before next year! So many people that I have gotten interetested into this game have given up on it, because they think weve given up on it!

I know everyone here is a volunteer and all, but we need to start setting some deadlines and working harder! Everyone needs to give an increased effort, and we need to try in all respects to find more programmers!!!

I will take this message to the top, see how it is recieved, because this matter is of the utmost importance

I know everyone needs to help .. how can the project. I personally in a month I managed to make the musical themes of all stages (apart from that tribe, but I'm working) and some stages are more themes (phase microbe and multicellular).
Right now I'm working on new themes.

Unfortunately, the most difficult job is to know and use C + + and other functions.

Supporters of the project that do not participate "actively" to the production of the game should advertising, advertising and advertising.

You know c + +?

Wow you made all the themes in a month?! Amazing, theyre really great too!

Also, as i have in no way other than pitching in ideas and asking a bunch of already covered questions contributed to this project, have done just as you said and tried to advertise this a lot. It works really well, because many people want a good evolution game, but many are put off by its slow progress.

Unfortunately, I dont know c++, but when i get back to my home and my desktop, i will definitely try to learn! For now im just trying to find programmers so i can tell. Them about this game and get them interested so theyll help out.

_________________
Look at how far we've come when people thought we'd get nowhere. Imagine how far we can go if we try to get somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doggit
Regular


Posts : 444
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2012-04-28
Location : Italy

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:31 am

NickTheNick wrote:
Doggit wrote:
NickTheNick wrote:
Doggit wrote:
NickTheNick wrote:
Guys, this all sounds amazing and all, but is there an estimate as to when the microbe stage will be ready for release?

Some time ago it was thought that the phase microbe would be ready in late 2012. Now instead we believe that at the end of 2012 there will be just another prototype.

Personally I hope it is fully ready in late 2012, but I can not tell for sure since I'm not a programmer.

P.s. sorry for my bad english

Dont worry, your English was great. We really need to pick up the pace around here. It is VITALLY important that the microbe stage be finished before next year! So many people that I have gotten interetested into this game have given up on it, because they think weve given up on it!

I know everyone here is a volunteer and all, but we need to start setting some deadlines and working harder! Everyone needs to give an increased effort, and we need to try in all respects to find more programmers!!!

I will take this message to the top, see how it is recieved, because this matter is of the utmost importance

I know everyone needs to help .. how can the project. I personally in a month I managed to make the musical themes of all stages (apart from that tribe, but I'm working) and some stages are more themes (phase microbe and multicellular).
Right now I'm working on new themes.

Unfortunately, the most difficult job is to know and use C + + and other functions.

Supporters of the project that do not participate "actively" to the production of the game should advertising, advertising and advertising.

You know c + +?

Wow you made all the themes in a month?! Amazing, theyre really great too!

Also, as i have in no way other than pitching in ideas and asking a bunch of already covered questions contributed to this project, have done just as you said and tried to advertise this a lot. It works really well, because many people want a good evolution game, but many are put off by its slow progress.

Unfortunately, I dont know c++, but when i get back to my home and my desktop, i will definitely try to learn! For now im just trying to find programmers so i can tell. Them about this game and get them interested so theyll help out.

We should decide on a date and work hard to finish the first phase.

_________________

My Themes: Here

You are a music composer and you can help us? Three simple rules:
1) Have or create a youtube channel
2) Publish the music on youtube (with a picture that relates to the song)
3) Publish it in the appropriate section of the forum.

Then I and Oliveriver will evaluate the song. :)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 2312
Reputation : 175
Join date : 2012-07-22
Age : 20
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:45 am

Yes, thats a very good idea. You should tell some of the team leads. i will tell them too.

_________________
Look at how far we've come when people thought we'd get nowhere. Imagine how far we can go if we try to get somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 2312
Reputation : 175
Join date : 2012-07-22
Age : 20
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:59 pm

You should add the list of microbial biomes with their details and the links to the themes for Microbe stage to the original post.

_________________
Look at how far we've come when people thought we'd get nowhere. Imagine how far we can go if we try to get somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Today at 9:58 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Microbe Stage Final Draft
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Gameplay Stages :: Microbe-
Jump to: