Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Microbe Stage Final Draft

Go down 
+34
Daniferrito
D4RK_VOID
WilliamstheJohn
Gawbad
Rorsten594
HellKnightDan
mrghostly12321
NickTheNick
GreatGranpapy
zippybomb
uverion
Pyrotin
Doggit
MeowMan1
Theusfilipe
jmc-24
Sgt. Lost Time
Theslimy
Crimsonspawn
Holomanga
penumbra espinosa
The Uteen
Commander Keen
jaysongg071997
Admiral Van Tromp
guitar999111
US_of_Alaska
Seregon
Pezzalis
BastianKraft
roadkillguy
Mysterious_Calligrapher
~sciocont
Tenebrarum
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
AuthorMessage
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 12:11 pm

First release will look like a sphere representing your cell moving around, with some spheres representing other cells around. Nothing else.

And you can decide not to go to multicelular ever.
Back to top Go down
Reklaw9999
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Wait, so the microbe stage that is planned to be released at the of the year is just going to be circles and dots? I don't think that will have the desired effect to bring in more programmers and such. To bring lots of new people we need something more than that. and how far along is it currently? do we have our base program yet?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 1:48 pm

Basically, we are going to release each tiny part as soon as it works. Actually, the first release is going to be much simpler than what i said, just a background. As we very recently gave up on some things we wanted to get working before doing anything else (namelly MyGUI), i expect that this first release with only one background will be done really soon. If we had something playable prepared, it would be out.

Actually, that plan on releasing something at the end of the year was planned for last year, but it didn't happen.
Back to top Go down
Reklaw9999
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Oh, ok I see. If we can code were should I go to help for that?
Back to top Go down
HellKnightDan
Newcomer
HellKnightDan

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 12:00 pm

So instead of releasing something like a full stage, we release a background and perhaps moving circles around it?
I think there are enough programers, we lack in the artistic point of view. If I weren't so busy I'd help. For now, I can try to make a similar GUI to the one I made for the editor, you know status and all that.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 12:05 pm

The simple background and circleswill be the first step. Then we add more.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 12:43 pm

If you prefer a full, completelly finished stage as first release, you can have it. You only need to ignore all the partial releases.

Let's put it in other words. Say we need to write a 1000 lines long essay. We would have to write the first line, then the second, and so on. If we want to show it to the public, we have two ways. Either let everyone see the essay as-is, partially done, releasing each line as we write it, or we keep it secret until it is done, releasing it as a whole then.

As this is an open comunity, there is no way to keep it secret. Especially hard to choose who gets access, and who doesent. We would have no right to do so, either. And it helps gunt down bugs, as we can solve them as they appear, instead of all at once. And it makes more people get interested in the project. And as we are talking about programming, there is no line that marks where something is done, you can always keep adding features, so there is no way of deciding when the stage is finished. And...

Ok, i'll better stop here. Sorry if this sounded harsh.
Back to top Go down
HellKnightDan
Newcomer
HellKnightDan

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 6:48 am

Daniferrito wrote:
If you prefer a full, completelly finished stage as first release, you can have it. You only need to ignore all the partial releases.

Let's put it in other words. Say we need to write a 1000 lines long essay. We would have to write the first line, then the second, and so on. If we want to show it to the public, we have two ways. Either let everyone see the essay as-is, partially done, releasing each line as we write it, or we keep it secret until it is done, releasing it as a whole then.

As this is an open comunity, there is no way to keep it secret. Especially hard to choose who gets access, and who doesent. We would have no right to do so, either. And it helps gunt down bugs, as we can solve them as they appear, instead of all at once. And it makes more people get interested in the project. And as we are talking about programming, there is no line that marks where something is done, you can always keep adding features, so there is no way of deciding when the stage is finished. And...

Ok, i'll better stop here. Sorry if this sounded harsh.
Don't worry , it didn't sound harsh. Ok, now I understand what you meant with releases.
Still, the stage can be perfectly programmed (which I know it's imposible in any program written ever) but I the rest parts are also important. Im just saying we are focusing too much on the programming and ignoring all the visual and sound parts.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 11:44 am

Because programming comes first.

We have lots of visual ans sound anyways, but its pointless without programming.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 6:37 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
Because programming comes first.

We have lots of visual ans sound anyways, but its pointless without programming.

Will the next programming step be editing CommanderKeen's prototype? As in, adding in the 3D models that some users have made? I think there's been the heat eater and light eater so far...
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Did Keen made a prototype? I though roadkillguy was the only one tho make a microbe stage prototype. Anyway, Keen hasn't been around for a long time, and we've got the very first release of the microbe stage here, finished a few hours ago.

What needs to be done is transforming the models that are posted into Ogre models, so we can use them. For tools for exporting into ogre models (.mesh), this page covers most of them.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 8:16 pm

I've downloaded all of the microbe stage prototypes I could find, but some error message always popped up after I clicked the .exe. All of theme told me I was missing something ending in .dll, and there have been many error messages with different missing .dll reports.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 8:21 pm

If you are looking at the thread i sent you to, you can find one of my posts with two dll that will allow you to execute the exe.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 9:13 pm

It works now! Thanks!javascript:emoticonp(':cheers:')
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Anyway, I read somewhere that some things won't be found in the "initial ocean vent biome". If we're going to have to swim up and away to find such things, then why are we making the microbe stage 2D?
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:55 pm

What do you mean? What things you won't be able to find?
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 11:25 pm

Daniferrito wrote:

Well, they say light-eaters aren't available in hydrothermal vent biomes in the microbe stage since it's too dark. I was wondering how one would go somewhere else to find them.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 8:05 pm

MitochondriaBox wrote:
Daniferrito wrote:

Well, they say light-eaters aren't available in hydrothermal vent biomes in the microbe stage since it's too dark. I was wondering how one would go somewhere else to find them.
Over the next few releases, we'll add more biomes.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 9:24 pm

~sciocont wrote:
MitochondriaBox wrote:
Daniferrito wrote:

OK. I was just wondering how we would get to them when they're added. If said biomes are further up in altitude, then it would be troublesome for the player to get up there in a top-down 2D environment, since I've seen in the prototypes that you can "swim" up and down.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:22 pm

MitochondriaBox wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
MitochondriaBox wrote:
Daniferrito wrote:

OK. I was just wondering how we would get to them when they're added. If said biomes are further up in altitude, then it would be troublesome for the player to get up there in a top-down 2D environment, since I've seen in the prototypes that you can "swim" up and down.

This is something we can definitely discuss. I think it might be good to just include different currents in the biome, some of which will sweep you away from the surface you're on and transport you into an open biome. You'd still be in 2D, since there's really no point in having 3d locomotion on such a small scale.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 pm

The moving up and down is because i was using the controls that seregon did for the camera, which alowwed for going up and down. I simply was too lazy to remove four lines. Actually, i believe the controlls are still there.

However, you are not suposed to be able go up and down. You will only be allowed to go on the two dimensional plane that you see.
Back to top Go down
MitochondriaBox
Learner
MitochondriaBox

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 9:13 am

Daniferrito wrote:
The moving up and down is because i was using the controls that seregon did for the camera, which alowwed for going up and down. I simply was too lazy to remove four lines. Actually, i believe the controlls are still there.

However, you are not suposed to be able go up and down. You will only be allowed to go on the two dimensional plane that you see.

Thank you both. That clears up the whole ordeal.
Back to top Go down
Bubbles

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptySun May 26, 2013 1:02 pm

This may seem asinine on my behalf to some of you: but I think I may be missing the point of the game here; it just seems to me that I am watching a green dot (which I assume to be me) float around in the current until it dies.

If I click long enough at a certain point I think I can slightly change the direction of my cell, but ultimately it feels more like a simulation - watching my cell float aimlessly - than an actual game.
This isn't meant to sound antagonistic in the slightest, and I apologise if it does, I'm just genuinly confused as to what my goal is in the game.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptySun May 26, 2013 1:39 pm

That's the prototype, and we've made it quite obvious what is the actual release here. Plus, that focuses more on evolution than on gameplay.
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 EmptySun May 26, 2013 8:26 pm

NickTheNick wrote:
That's the prototype, and we've made it quite obvious what is the actual release here. Plus, that focuses more on evolution than on gameplay.
QFT

also
click and hold and you will notice it has a much better result.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microbe Stage Final Draft   Microbe Stage Final Draft - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Microbe Stage Final Draft
Page 12 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12