Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Cellular evolution concept/questions

Go down 
+9
Tenebrarum
Mysterious_Calligrapher
roadkillguy
US_of_Alaska
Commander Keen
ido66667
The Uteen
~sciocont
Dr_Chillgood
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cellular evolution concept/questions    Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 8:05 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Mitochondria make energy. There's a huge advantage to having them, since it makes the energy received from food go up around 10-20 fold.

Convert between ATP and ADP, but yeah, you do not want to loose your mitochondria. They multiply your energy, not having them is sort of a fast track to extinction.

Slimy: You could live without some cell structures, but most of the ones they teach you in bio 1 are pretty much essential. However, if you have chloroplasts you don't need a vacuole, if you have cillia you don't need a flagella, if you have pseudopods you don't need cillia or a flagella, etc.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Cellular evolution concept/questions    Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 EmptySat May 12, 2012 10:07 pm

[quote="Mysterious_Calligrapher"][quote="Holomanga"]For the AI/auto-evo losing things, i think it should work like this:

• Each part has a certain, high energy usage
  • If a cell dies from undernutrition, it can add a new nutrition part, but it can also remove a part randomly

Only thing I don't really like here is the "remove part randomly." There's a lot of parts a cell can't do without, so randomizing a loss is a fast track to extinction if, say, the Golgi gets chucket out. Also, not all movement abilities come from movement organs. Just ask your amoeba. I agree that there should only be the ability to lose non-essential organelles.

Right, If we do randomly remove parts, number1: what you said Mysterious. And number 2, It gives the player no control of how it affects their cell!
So yes, I agree that we should not remove parts randomly. Also just a side note/compliment: I LOVE how detailed we are with the cell structure and science behind it, for instance including the organelles.
Back to top Go down
Holomanga
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Cellular evolution concept/questions    Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 EmptySat May 19, 2012 5:23 pm

MeowMan1 wrote:
Right, If we do randomly remove parts, number1: what you said Mysterious. And number 2, It gives the player no control of how it affects their cell!
So yes, I agree that we should not remove parts randomly. Also just a side note/compliment: I LOVE how detailed we are with the cell structure and science behind it, for instance including the organelles.

I was thinking more in the context of AI cells, so there's no need to worry about you player cell going out of your control. Player cells would me manually evolved all the way (if that's how you want it, of course).

With things like the golgi or mitochontria being removed, that'll go under my idea for coded in rules. So not only should there be rules like "don't remove this part if it doesn't have this other part", there could also be rules like "never remove this part".
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Cellular evolution concept/questions    Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 EmptySat May 19, 2012 7:12 pm

ok, I see. Yeah that's fine. I can't think of anything else to say...Anyone wanna share a new idea?
Back to top Go down
Holomanga
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Cellular evolution concept/questions    Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 7:51 am

We've discussed all these methods for evolution, but we don't know if they'll work in game so I'm going to make some kind o prototype to test it out.

All I really need to know is how energy generastion / consumption will work in the cell stage. Is there a topic about it or is it something else we will need to discuss?
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Cellular evolution concept/questions    Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 10:48 am

[I'm not sure if it has been discussed or not, but just do it Your way, I think coming from You it'll be awsome man.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Cellular evolution concept/questions    Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 11:00 am

No, right now you can put in your own numbers for energy production/consumption.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Cellular evolution concept/questions    Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Rule of thumb: mitochondria create more energy, nearly everything else uses energy. Make up numbers and go wild.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Cellular evolution concept/questions    Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Rule of thumb: mitochondria create more energy, nearly everything else uses energy. Make up numbers and go wild.
Yeah, cuz they're mitochondia afterall, aka cellular energy makers.
How would the cell defend itself? extra skin layers, little teeny tiny spikes or are spikes even realistic?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Cellular evolution concept/questions    Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 4:23 pm

MeowMan1 wrote:
How would the cell defend itself? extra skin layers, little teeny tiny spikes or are spikes even realistic?

Spikes - probably not.

If it's defence you want, then a cell wall is just the thing.
A cell membrane also goes without saying, to protect it from its environment in general. That may be more 'required' than 'defence', though.
Back to top Go down
Holomanga
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Cellular evolution concept/questions    Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 5:07 pm

Here's what I've got so far. It's a list of the organelles stored as variables with comments (GML ftw). Anone want to look over this for ommissions/mistakes?

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Cellular evolution concept/questions    Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 6:38 pm

Mitochondria description should be changed to x12 overall nutrition.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Cellular evolution concept/questions    Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 10:43 am

The Uteen wrote:
MeowMan1 wrote:

Spikes - probably not.

If it's defence you want, then a cell wall is just the thing.
A cell membrane also goes without saying, to protect it from its environment in general. That may be more 'required' than 'defence', though.

Cell Membrane = required. You'll ooze all over without it. It does not use any energy, however.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Cellular evolution concept/questions    Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 EmptySun May 27, 2012 11:58 am

So should we have a green primordial soup background?
I made a new Microbial topic btw,m the Cell Phase Progress Topic, since nobody has been on this one in days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cellular evolution concept/questions    Cellular evolution concept/questions  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cellular evolution concept/questions
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3