Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+93
JoseAAV
Disastericks
Secondkingstons
EnergyKnife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Jimexmore
Grimm Reaper
Atrox
Xazo-Tak
HariboTer
Naevius
jay sheddan
Im a Peanut
Tritium
Tarpy
Narnobie123
Gawbad
Nimbal
Thriving Cheese
WJacobC
FunnyGames
PerfectOrganismil
TheSmart_1
Dilophoraptor
untrustedlife
BioMike
energypro
RodGame
protoast
Cobalt58
jman12351
Sundu
ExtraSolar
Dumb_person69
spacetime_dinosaur
Oliveriver
Calfeggs
NikolaAnicic007
MitochondriaBox
Tré Wisemen
SmartGenius
ComradeDoc
THRIVE
thrivepedia
beachbum111111
WilliamstheJohn
ingaborgasaurus
Raptorstorm
alduin2013
decelis93
Noone
gvd72
Jopetsu
Daniferrito
M3rox
Rorsten594
roadkillguy
Silver Sterling
Carnifex
Seregon
PREDAL1ENWARRIOR
GamerXA
Brennus
nziswat
PHILmg
NickTheNick
wwewar
ethroptur
Orygandian2
penumbra espinosa
Pezzalis
zippybomb
jmc-24
Holomanga
MeowMan1
Kraeken
Crimsonspawn
Hegataro
Theusfilipe
PTFace
Doggit
Sgt. Lost Time
US_of_Alaska
Admiral Van Tromp
ido66667
D4RK_VOID
bill2505
Dr_Chillgood
Tenebrarum
Army-Lion
Mysterious_Calligrapher
~sciocont
The Uteen
97 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Empty
PostSubject: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 5:25 pm

So... We don't seem to have a thread for general forum bugs, so I thought I'd create one. In case anyone hasn't realised, this thread is for forum bugs or questions that don't really need a whole thread, but could use fixing.

Now, this will be quite contradictory, but the reason I made this thread was because I noticed a forum bug that didn't need a thread making over it...

The locked topic image appears to be broken.

See? Didn't really deserve its own thread. That's precisely why I had to make this thread.

ADMIN, my humblest apologies for making such a big deal over one minor bug, but I can now guarantee it won't happen again. Also, please fix please.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 5:55 pm

Locked works fine for me. Also, since people seem to make threads with questions a lot that get a bit irritating, simply because they create threads that are immediately resolved, I will sticky this and merge those questions with this thread.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 11:27 am

Thanks for the sticky.

Just tried finding a locked topic on my other computer, the locked image is broken on that, too. (All I see is a long transparent box with a little square blue question mark icon in it)

I'm pretty sure it's not because I'm using a Mac, and it isn't because of an extension either, I tried disabling it.
(I only have one, and it turns out it's the reason I don't see the ads at the top. It's a cookie blocker, not an ad blocker, but it blocked the ad anyway. Odd.)

Is anyone else having this problem?

Hang on, are you talking about the same image I am? I am referring to the image that appears at the top & bottom of the thread when reading the thread. I still see the one that looks like a Thrive logo with a lock in it in the 'thread selection'.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 11:15 pm

Tiny one up top where the word REPLY is on this thread? Yeah, I'm getting a little x in a box icon there, the usual 'image not available one'
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 6:12 pm

The Uteen wrote:
Thanks for the sticky.

Just tried finding a locked topic on my other computer, the locked image is broken on that, too. (All I see is a long transparent box with a little square blue question mark icon in it)

I'm pretty sure it's not because I'm using a Mac, and it isn't because of an extension either, I tried disabling it.
(I only have one, and it turns out it's the reason I don't see the ads at the top. It's a cookie blocker, not an ad blocker, but it blocked the ad anyway. Odd.)

Is anyone else having this problem?

Hang on, are you talking about the same image I am? I am referring to the image that appears at the top & bottom of the thread when reading the thread. I still see the one that looks like a Thrive logo with a lock in it in the 'thread selection'.
Understood now. i'll try to fix it.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 8:46 am

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Army-Lion
Newcomer
Army-Lion

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 4:35 pm

I got two questions

1. I am kinda confussed with the organism stage how many animal species will be in the organism stage because only 3 diffrent animals will get boring and how many will you see in the space stage like if you fly arround the planet will you see all the animals

2. I know there is a post for planet size but how big will it be in organism stage will it be like a 10 minute walk or will it take a long long long time before you go arround the planet and you can actually make a very large planet without slowing your game down in space stage what i mean by that is you can actually do sort of a loading screen between entering a new system or even a new planet.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 5:23 pm

Army-Lion wrote:
I got two questions

1. I am kinda confussed with the organism stage how many animal species will be in the organism stage because only 3 diffrent animals will get boring and how many will you see in the space stage like if you fly arround the planet will you see all the animals

2. I know there is a post for planet size but how big will it be in organism stage will it be like a 10 minute walk or will it take a long long long time before you go arround the planet and you can actually make a very large planet without slowing your game down in space stage what i mean by that is you can actually do sort of a loading screen between entering a new system or even a new planet.
Thank you for posting here.

In organism stage, the number of animals in your biome depends on what kind of biome it is, and ultimately, how many animals we can simulate. We don't have numbers for this, since it will vary. Expect 20+ other species in very diverse biomes.

We're figuring out how big planets can be right now. It depends mostly on how detailed we let the terrain be.
Back to top Go down
Army-Lion
Newcomer
Army-Lion

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:47 am

~sciocont wrote:
Army-Lion wrote:
I got two questions

In organism stage, the number of animals in your biome depends on what kind of biome it is, and ultimately, how many animals we can simulate. We don't have numbers for this, since it will vary. Expect 20+ other species in very diverse biomes.

We're figuring out how big planets can be right now. It depends mostly on how detailed we let the terrain be.

Then why not make it 50 or even 100 and when you reach space stage there will only be 10 or 20 left because only 20 seems a bit small for a big planet.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:18 am

Army-Lion wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Army-Lion wrote:
I got two questions

Then why not make it 50 or even 100 and when you reach space stage there will only be 10 or 20 left because only 20 seems a bit small for a big planet.
In total, there will many more than 20 species. There will be many biomes per planet. A biome is an environment within a planet. And the planets won't change in any way with space travel, you'll just be able to get to others. The population of the planet stays the same.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:27 pm

In regards to planet size, one of the things we want to be able to do is smoothly transition from planet to space, which may or may not need to be sacrificed.
Back to top Go down
Dr_Chillgood
Newcomer
Dr_Chillgood

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:17 pm

Ultimately I see us having to make anything the player sees on a planet totally separate from what happens in space. Which means as you descend on to a planet, there may a second of lag before you see the surface in detail. So that means each planet would have to have 2 meshes, one for things that happen on planet, and one for viewing the planet in space. The space mesh would be textured and low poly, the 2nd one would be textured but high poly. But depending on how we do it, you wont have to view the 2nd high poly mesh all at once so it won't hurt your computer too much.

I know little about programming so if that isn't possible or makes any sense sorry for the confusion.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 10:57 pm

Dr_Chillgood wrote:
Ultimately I see us having to make anything the player sees on a planet totally separate from what happens in space. Which means as you descend on to a planet, there may a second of lag before you see the surface in detail. So that means each planet would have to have 2 meshes, one for things that happen on planet, and one for viewing the planet in space. The space mesh would be textured and low poly, the 2nd one would be textured but high poly. But depending on how we do it, you wont have to view the 2nd high poly mesh all at once so it won't hurt your computer too much.

I know little about programming so if that isn't possible or makes any sense sorry for the confusion.
Already covered LOD, since the planet's poly count will depend on the distance from camera to surface (we're using a quadtree subdivision)
Back to top Go down
bill2505
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 8:31 pm

willl you be able to build by your own buildings like a regular rts and
how this will ballance with the automatic building spawn(make city ugly )
{ i ask because i am going to make a building suggestion thread.also will buildings have sub upgrades(that will cost money ,resources and some time to build/enact) .for example
palace= walls........ will making harder for your enemies to storm your pallace, monarchs statues = will give happiness,extra guards barracks =obvious
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:35 pm

bill2505 wrote:
{ i ask because i am going to make a building suggestion thread.also will buildings have sub upgrades(that will cost money ,resources and some time to build/enact) .for example
palace= walls........ will making harder for your enemies to storm your pallace, monarchs statues = will give happiness,extra guards barracks =obvious

I think & hope you can build your own buildings.

Upgrades... Well... You can update the design with new FPs and materials, and any you build from then on will be like that. Ones already made, I believe we have the option to renovate them, which should be able to update it to the new design, but in some cases this may cost more than just knocking it down and building from scratch. Walls would have to be included in the design, or the palace could be renovated with the new design. Guards for barracks will just be assigning units to guard the place.

That's in RTS mode, post-sentience.

In organism mode, you might be able to get a job building buildings. We really haven't got much decided for post-sentience organism mode.

Happy 27th of November.
Back to top Go down
bill2505
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 1:28 pm

with an upgrade system i dont mean only building a building with modern materials or something like this but upgrades like in tropico 4 game
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 2:11 pm

bill2505 wrote:
To "upgrade" a technology, you would have to go into the TE and change its FPs or Materials in order to create a better tech.
Back to top Go down
bill2505
Learner

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 3:11 pm

~sciocont wrote:
bill2505 wrote:
To "upgrade" a technology, you would have to go into the TE and change its FPs or Materials in order to create a better tech.
to be honest untill i see this ingame i cant understand too much but what i suggest is not only change material and stuff like that but also upgrades that will add things( like walls for palace) or wont add anything like in tropico games and add some bonus
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 4:59 pm

bill2505 wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
bill2505 wrote:
to be honest untill i see this ingame i cant understand too much but what i suggest is not only change material and stuff like that but also upgrades that will add things( like walls for palace) or wont add anything like in tropico games and add some bonus

Basically, you can make different versions of something in the Tech Editor. If you make a new version of it, maybe with, for example, some extra cannons and turret, you can upgrade the old version to the new one. That way, there won't be predetermined upgrades, or a limit to the number, because you can make them yourself.

Of course, this does mean we can't make costs for upgrades, because we don't know what they will be, but this is okay. Any extra materials used will be taken into account and will become the cost of the upgrade. Additionally, anything you make that has extra stuff will require more resources to upkeep/maintain.

Hmm, this is my first post today where I haven't mentioned that it's the day of my random day of celebration, the 27th of November. Oh, wait... I have.
Back to top Go down
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

PostSubject: CAN we add Glyphs?   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 6:22 am

Can we have glyphs in the game? Like these can be randomly scattered around our planet on some sort of a wall as a wonder?
[img]thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Glyphs10[/img]
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 11:26 am

D4RK_VOID wrote:
Can we have glyphs in the game? Like these can be randomly scattered around our planet on some sort of a wall as a wonder?
thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Glyphs10
They look like crop circles. They’d also be good.

Hm… I suppose when we get round to doing easter eggs* these would be something to consider. I would suggest you put it in the easter egg thread, but I absolutely cannot find it. I’m pretty sure it was on these forums. Ironic, that easter egg thread. Ironic…

*for those not in the know on the media lingo, Easter Egg = Hidden/for-fun thingy.
Back to top Go down
Dr_Chillgood
Newcomer
Dr_Chillgood

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 2:35 pm

I do like this idea, let's just try not to use ones straight from halo. K? :3
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Why?

I don't mean to be rude, but I want to know your reasoning.
Back to top Go down
Dr_Chillgood
Newcomer
Dr_Chillgood

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 7:00 pm

It was partially a joke, but ya using straight up halo glyphs is a bit, strange and sort of unoriginal wouldn't you say? I guess it would be okay as long as we use other glyphs and credit it, but this isn't important right now so don't try to get stuck on it.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 8:58 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
Why?

I don't mean to be rude, but I want to know your reasoning.
QFT
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   thread - Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 1 of 40Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next