Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+93
JoseAAV
Disastericks
Secondkingstons
EnergyKnife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Jimexmore
Grimm Reaper
Atrox
Xazo-Tak
HariboTer
Naevius
jay sheddan
Im a Peanut
Tritium
Tarpy
Narnobie123
Gawbad
Nimbal
Thriving Cheese
WJacobC
FunnyGames
PerfectOrganismil
TheSmart_1
Dilophoraptor
untrustedlife
BioMike
energypro
RodGame
protoast
Cobalt58
jman12351
Sundu
ExtraSolar
Dumb_person69
spacetime_dinosaur
Oliveriver
Calfeggs
NikolaAnicic007
MitochondriaBox
Tré Wisemen
SmartGenius
ComradeDoc
THRIVE
thrivepedia
beachbum111111
WilliamstheJohn
ingaborgasaurus
Raptorstorm
alduin2013
decelis93
Noone
gvd72
Jopetsu
Daniferrito
M3rox
Rorsten594
roadkillguy
Silver Sterling
Carnifex
Seregon
PREDAL1ENWARRIOR
GamerXA
Brennus
nziswat
PHILmg
NickTheNick
wwewar
ethroptur
Orygandian2
penumbra espinosa
Pezzalis
zippybomb
jmc-24
Holomanga
MeowMan1
Kraeken
Crimsonspawn
Hegataro
Theusfilipe
PTFace
Doggit
Sgt. Lost Time
US_of_Alaska
Admiral Van Tromp
ido66667
D4RK_VOID
bill2505
Dr_Chillgood
Tenebrarum
Army-Lion
Mysterious_Calligrapher
~sciocont
The Uteen
97 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Sgt. Lost Time
Newcomer
Sgt. Lost Time

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bigs And Questions That Don't Deserver Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 6:52 pm

Apologies for sounding like an idiot and for starting a thread that was thankfully destroyed, but I will try to post my question here: What types of abilities will be available to the player's organism, and how will they recieve them? If this question has already been answered, please disregard this post.
Back to top Go down
Doggit
Regular
Doggit

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 3:46 am

First I want to congratulate all those who are working in this wonderful project
I have some questions:

1) I have already asked Sciocont, but I'd like to know more or less when the game will be ready ... from 1 to 3 years, from 3 years to 5 or 5 and up. vaguely

2) If the game is not online, there is the possibility to meet after a couple of games, still the same creatures? A bit like going to those who had the original Spore not so random without updating all the creatures on the Sporepedia?

3) How many people are actually working on the project?

Thanks in advance for answers
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 12:28 pm

Lost Time32 wrote:
Apologies for sounding like an idiot and for starting a thread that was thankfully destroyed, but I will try to post my question here: What types of abilities will be available to the player's organism, and how will they recieve them? If this question has already been answered, please disregard this post.
You can read about the structure of organisms in the game in the Organism Editor Current Concept
Quote :
First I want to congratulate all those who are working in this wonderful project
I have some questions:

1) I have already asked Sciocont, but I'd like to know more or less when the game will be ready ... from 1 to 3 years, from 3 years to 5 or 5 and up. vaguely

2) If the game is not online, there is the possibility to meet after a couple of games, still the same creatures? A bit like going to those who had the original Spore not so random without updating all the creatures on the Sporepedia?

3) How many people are actually working on the project?
1) The game will never really be "done" since we want to continuously add to it over time. After an initial release (hopefully we'll ave a playable cell stage within the year) we will release patches whenever we have something new to show.
2) In the game, content can be managed through the Thrive Content Library. Read more about content sharing here.
3) About a dozen members here are veterans of the project who have been around long enough to know their way about the thing quite well. We have two people coding right now, one working linux, the other working windows. They are making progress on planets and cell stage, respectively.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 3:42 pm

I have a question about difficulty in general.

Will selecting a higher difficulty make the planet a less suitable environment, or will it make it so your creature won't be able to evolve very far?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 6:00 pm

PTFace wrote:
I have a question about difficulty in general.

Will selecting a higher difficulty make the planet a less suitable environment, or will it make it so your creature won't be able to evolve very far?
I don't know if we'll have a difficulty setting- we haven't discussed it much.
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Lost Time
Newcomer
Sgt. Lost Time

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bigs And Questions That Don't Deserver Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 5:43 pm

Please forgive me for sounding like a Belgiumhead, but I take it that everybody can't use Spore made items as a base to create something more realistic? I mean, not in a literal sense like importing models, but using Spore creations as an inspiration to create lifelike things like plants, cells, organisms etc.

EDIT: Also, is it okay to revive old topics? The reason I am asking is because I looked at the concept art thread, and I have some ideas for organisms, but I don't know how or where to put them.
Back to top Go down
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
Theusfilipe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:19 pm

First I have to say that I am really excited with Thrive, the last 48 hours have been amazing. I don't feel like this since I saw spore when i was 12.
I think all of you really nice and I know you guys know what you are doing. So here comes my questions.

-Wich are the priorities? (By the look of it, it looks like cell stage)

-When do most people go online? (I was here all day)

-How much progress in code do the cell stage have and how I can help? ( I have some training in 3D Studio Max, i can model some things that Alaska, i think, did with those cells)
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:52 pm

Theusfilipe wrote:
First I have to say that I am really excited with Thrive, the last 48 hours have been amazing. I don't feel like this since I saw spore when i was 12.
I think all of you really nice and I know you guys know what you are doing. So here comes my questions.

-Wich are the priorities? (By the look of it, it looks like cell stage)

-When do most people go online? (I was here all day)

-How much progress in code do the cell stage have and how I can help? ( I have some training in 3D Studio Max, i can model some things that Alaska, i think, did with those cells)

You've caught us in the middle of our yearly "finals are coming, help!" slump, so there's not as many people here as usual. We don't have a set time of day other than whenever people have time - last I checked, we had someone in at least four out of six inhabited continents. It's usually more of productive weeks and off weeks, to be honest.
Current projects are, so far as I know, finally finishing cell stage, as well as our long-running conceptual stuff such as xenobiomes, which are welcome whenever. (Yeah, I'm pushing my own project, other people feel free to chime in with theirs.)
Somebody please fill this guy in, I missed the last progress report for cell.

Lost Time32 wrote:
Please forgive me for sounding like a Belgiumhead, but I take it that everybody can't use Spore made items as a base to create something more realistic? I mean, not in a literal sense like importing models, but using Spore creations as an inspiration to create lifelike things like plants, cells, organisms etc.

EDIT: Also, is it okay to revive old topics? The reason I am asking is because I looked at the concept art thread, and I have some ideas for organisms, but I don't know how or where to put them.

This mod gives you permission to revive the concept art thread, no matter how necro it is. That's a thread that it makes sense to keep reviving.

I'm semi-confused on the original post, so I'm going to say that the amount of spore inspiration is more in the concept level than in the actual modeling. We've had a "realism in evolution" policy since before my time, and while the inspriration for the game was 'add science to spore!' we've come a long way. Due to the way the OE works, we're definitely not basing creatures on ones in spore... let me hunt you up the procedural evolution thread to give you a better sense of how plants and cells and stuff will work. (If somebody who was actually around during Svenolutions could explain this better, I will gift them an internet.)

Back to top Go down
Sgt. Lost Time
Newcomer
Sgt. Lost Time

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Many thanks to you!
Also, what I meant was simply selecting spore creatures, and remaking them to be hyper-realistic for Thrive. For example, take my spore page and look at all these ugly motherbelgiums.
Would it be possible to make Thrive-y versions of these animals realistically?
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySat May 05, 2012 9:50 pm

Lost Time32 wrote:
Many thanks to you!
Also, what I meant was simply selecting spore creatures, and remaking them to be hyper-realistic for Thrive. For example, take my spore page and look at all these ugly motherbelgiums.
Would it be possible to make Thrive-y versions of these animals realistically?

It can be possible, but considering the world shapes your organism you might end up trying to create a dinosaur and end up with a jellyfish because of the planet.

Also, Calligrapher, have you thought of the idea of migratory trees as a sub-biome?
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptySun May 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Hurons!

Erm... that brings us back to an excellent question about whether or not photosynthesizing macroorganisms acutally need to be sessile...
Long story short, migratory trees, not as such, but tree equivalents, possibly. However, I'm still not certain if they would be biomes because biomes are determined by location. Migratory plants as a wandering resource or playable species I'm all for.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Also will it be possible to become sentient as a superorganism like a huge whale?

Also will we be able to domesticate other species for hunting, war . etc.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue May 08, 2012 5:08 pm

PTFace wrote:
Also will it be possible to become sentient as a superorganism like a huge whale?

A) As a whale, sentient yes, civilized no. (Given that our definition of civ here is tools.) Not much bigger than a whale is going to survive.

b) Yep. Domesticated animals are somewhere in Alaska's massive tech tree.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue May 08, 2012 6:30 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
PTFace wrote:

A) As a whale, sentient yes, civilized no. (Given that our definition of civ here is tools.) Not much bigger than a whale is going to survive.

But will you be able to use these animals as mounts for a bipedal species?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue May 08, 2012 10:37 pm

PTFace wrote:
Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
PTFace wrote:

But will you be able to use these animals as mounts for a bipedal species?
Yes, you can do that. You simply need a domestication technology, which would include possible mounting, which you would have to rig and designate using mannequins in the TE.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue May 08, 2012 11:06 pm

will there be momentum based mounted combat like in mount and blade?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 9:25 am

PTFace wrote:
could you explain what is meant by that?
Back to top Go down
Hegataro
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 9:28 am

~sciocont wrote:
PTFace wrote:
He propably means that you run into them hell-a fast with something sharp while riding a mounted creature.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 4:58 pm

~sciocont wrote:
PTFace wrote:

Basically the faster you are going on a horse the harder your weapon will hit and the reverse
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 7:53 pm

PTFace wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
PTFace wrote:

Basically the faster you are going on a horse the harder your weapon will hit and the reverse
Hopefully, but it's largely dependant on how complex we're able to make our damage model. If all goes as planned, the damage model will actually get more complex on smaller scales and less complex on larger ones, allowing tactical battles that scale to allow for smooth running.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 10:37 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
PTFace wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
PTFace wrote:

Hopefully, but it's largely dependant on how complex we're able to make our damage model. If all goes as planned, the damage model will actually get more complex on smaller scales and less complex on larger ones, allowing tactical battles that scale to allow for smooth running.
Yeah, we had in depth discussions on damage LOD a while back and we agreed that zooming in would require a lot of arbitrary mechanics deciding what parts were damaged of the specific things that were damaged. As for the specific example, we can probably make it so that that happens- we need only calculate momentum and multiply it by a constant for the damage dealt by the blade at a constant momentum, probably 1 m/s.
Back to top Go down
Hegataro
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 11:23 am

So, I had an idea of mine. Well, not so much of an idea, but a little expension to the whole "Plant/Fungus" gameplay.
The topic of my post is the Fungus gameplay, mainly. I know there is a plant gameplay thread already, so, I'm not going into that, since mushrooms are not plants, they are fungus.

So, this could or could not be a long post, so, it's going into the spoiler bars if needed:

The basics of fungus play:
Well, basically, fungus doesn't work like plants do. Plants want to survive, fungus infects (you know, sort of). Fungus in general evolved in a few ways : poisonous, organism helping, organism infecting, overgrowing, but all of these can be smushed up together. I'm gonna write them out on their own.

The first way to evolve:
Spoiler:

The second way to evolve:
Spoiler:

The third way to evolve:
Spoiler:

The fourth way to evolve:
Spoiler:

I am thankful for your reading, you can post your thoughts on this and what not.
Back to top Go down
Crimsonspawn
Newcomer
Crimsonspawn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 12:21 pm

That sounds awesome hegataro, i especially like the sound of the brain fungus But don't they already have a way for evolution to take place?
Back to top Go down
Hegataro
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Eh, sure, but, you know. Just ideas popping out of my brain... fungus.
Back to top Go down
Crimsonspawn
Newcomer
Crimsonspawn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Haha still a good idea
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next