Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+93
JoseAAV
Disastericks
Secondkingstons
EnergyKnife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Jimexmore
Grimm Reaper
Atrox
Xazo-Tak
HariboTer
Naevius
jay sheddan
Im a Peanut
Tritium
Tarpy
Narnobie123
Gawbad
Nimbal
Thriving Cheese
WJacobC
FunnyGames
PerfectOrganismil
TheSmart_1
Dilophoraptor
untrustedlife
BioMike
energypro
RodGame
protoast
Cobalt58
jman12351
Sundu
ExtraSolar
Dumb_person69
spacetime_dinosaur
Oliveriver
Calfeggs
NikolaAnicic007
MitochondriaBox
Tré Wisemen
SmartGenius
ComradeDoc
THRIVE
thrivepedia
beachbum111111
WilliamstheJohn
ingaborgasaurus
Raptorstorm
alduin2013
decelis93
Noone
gvd72
Jopetsu
Daniferrito
M3rox
Rorsten594
roadkillguy
Silver Sterling
Carnifex
Seregon
PREDAL1ENWARRIOR
GamerXA
Brennus
nziswat
PHILmg
NickTheNick
wwewar
ethroptur
Orygandian2
penumbra espinosa
Pezzalis
zippybomb
jmc-24
Holomanga
MeowMan1
Kraeken
Crimsonspawn
Hegataro
Theusfilipe
PTFace
Doggit
Sgt. Lost Time
US_of_Alaska
Admiral Van Tromp
ido66667
D4RK_VOID
bill2505
Dr_Chillgood
Tenebrarum
Army-Lion
Mysterious_Calligrapher
~sciocont
The Uteen
97 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 5:48 pm

I'll definitely be tracking our hits.
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Lost Time
Newcomer
Sgt. Lost Time

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:28 pm

One tiny question: will this be also available on Steam?
Back to top Go down
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:41 pm

Steam is for commercial games and come with a bunch of restrictions and legals aspects. Altought the access to thousands of players would be wonderful, it don't fit the idea of an open-source free game like Thrive.

Also, we are really far from even considering being on something like steam.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:56 pm

RodGame wrote:
Steam is for commercial games...some more text
well can't you have for free in the Free to play section?
http://store.steampowered.com/genre/Free%20to%20Play/
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Thriving Cheese wrote:
RodGame wrote:

Thanks for pointing this out. I wasn't aware. Those game mostly seems to be free company game(Profit from DLC, In-game micro-transaction). There are probably aspect that wouldn't match with the goals of Thrive.

However, if the game get to a point where it could be on steam, and it's feasible, I don't see why we should completely ignore the possibility. It should be kept in mind but not in the current plan IMO.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 4:57 pm

RodGame wrote:
Thriving Cheese wrote:
RodGame wrote:

Thanks for pointing this out. I wasn't aware. Those game mostly seems to be free company game(Profit from DLC, In-game micro-transaction). There are probably aspect that wouldn't match with the goals of Thrive.

However, if the game get to a point where it could be on steam, and it's feasible, I don't see why we should completely ignore the possibility. It should be kept in mind but not in the current plan IMO.
QFT. Valve is modder and indie friendly, or so they seem.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 2:26 am

~sciocont wrote:
RodGame wrote:
Thriving Cheese wrote:
RodGame wrote:

QFT. Valve is modder and indie friendly, or so they seem.
I pretty much believes that you "only" has to pay like 10dollars or something(I doesn't remember exactly right now) to the red cross and sucseed through steam greenlight's voting system.
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 12:53 pm

So i have idea: In space stage, if one of your colonies become indenpentend and completely remoted from your civilization, in diferent evnormiment, without any contact with you, they might start evolving indenpentedly, and become another species.
What about that?
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 1:31 pm

Good idea. Although I think it would be less of a physical evolution and more of a cultural shift. So perhaps it could lead to another faction or empire that is by the same species. (civil war, anyone?)
Sounds like a great mechanic though.
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 7:46 pm

What would happen is the far flung colony would probably revolt and create its own nation, like the US with Britain.
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 9:34 pm

I think colonies should also do this if overworked. (or overtaxed and things like that)

Also I couldn't find any thread on this:
how are we actually going to handle extinction in this
in my prototype if every single member of your species dies I throw you into observer mode, is this what we will do or will we let the player choose a new species or let the player just continue (generating a new population) I don't like the idea of generating a new population unless the player chooses this at the beginning (hardcore mode anyone?)
Back to top Go down
FunnyGames
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 1:18 am

NickTheNick wrote:
What would happen is the far flung colony would probably revolt and create its own nation, like the US with Britain.
That's might be good for Civilization stage, but not for space...

Think about it, you traveling in space, far away from home, when you come back, you left with only 1 star? I don't like this idea...
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 1:28 am

Read his original scenario. It says the planet is out of contact, very far away, and all on its own. If all of your stars like that, then obviously they would all revolt and leave you with only one star.

I think what you are considering is just other planets in general. Don't worry, only if conditions are very bad will they revolt. One can easily maintain a large empire by keeping stability high.
Back to top Go down
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 1:39 am

I like the idea of having Hardcore mode and having the possibility to play as another specie. You could still continue your game even if you're specie didn't survive it. That might be a bit complicated to implement, but it's a neat feature IMO.

Specie revolt is also doable IMO. You would just need to create a new specie, assign this specie to all those creature. Copy your specie's data in this new specie's data. Let auto-evo do it's thing if it's still active in this stage(which I don't think so). Or, just fight with a replica of your specie in a civil war.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 9:18 pm

So, I think we should discuss the upcoming Thrive Bundle we plan on releasing publicly. First of all, to clarify the contents, it will be composed of the three prototypes and the music bundle, right?

Secondly, when do we plan to release it precisely? I am confident that the forums are prepared, with the cleaning up of the global announcements and the new GET INVOLVED thread. The website looks very nice right now, but what are we looking for to determine that the website is ready? Merging of the websites? Easier to find on Google? The wiki is unprepared for such a surge, and if people are willing to help me out with that then I would be very appreciative. I think that these three things must be prepared before we release the bundle.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Quick Question   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 1:00 am

Quick question. I would have asked this on the Misc thread, but there is a question there already (happens to also be by me).

My friend suggested this open source engine for the game. Programmers, what do you think?

https://github.com/TTimo/doom3.gpl

By the way, if this discussion is closed quickly, I will delete the thread, or just merge it with the Misc thread.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 1:27 am

Interesting idea, but I'd still prefer Ogre for the following reasons:

• There's not much documentation available for the Doom3 engine. A cursory look at the header files suggests it's well documented, but it could get hard to find specific information.
  • Ogre is actively being developed, Doom3 is not.
  • We already have Ogre integrated into the build system. I couldn't even find information on how to build Doom3 with something other than Visual Studio, much less how to integrate it cleanly in our project.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 7:13 am

The wiki certainly does need a revamp, but as you say the forum is probably just about prepared for a surge.

As for the website, this might be a good time to tell you that WJacobC and I are discussing whether to label the current designs as prototypes and begin work on a new, fully featured website that utilises many of the design aspects of both of our websites. However, WJacobC suggested we use a service called Expression Engine Core to build it, which is free to use but only for non-profit organisations or individuals. If we are to use it, we'll need to ensure that we really are a non-profit game, for which ~scio will have to be the ultimate judge.

In order to do something as major as this, we'll need at least another week or so, mainly because EE uses text-based (HTML) construction rather than the current method in which I've built the website, using a graphics program that can also create HTML files. It seems like ages ago that I posted my welcome thread, in which I said I had a basic knowledge of HTML and CSS. It seems this may now come in handy.

Tell us what you think of this suggestion and whether we have permission to go ahead with it.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 9:00 am

I would also add that the game will need a lot of procedurally generated content. I don't know how difficult it would be to implement this in a FPS engine such as Doom/CryEngine/UDK. Maybe it wouldn't be as complicated as I think, but I think Ogre is the perfect middle between "Reinventing the Wheel" and "Having access to as much performance/flexibility" as possible.

Also, as Nimbal pointed, I don't think there is enough information available. I've been doing a lot of research on different game engine in the last months and I haven't found much about Doom3 engine. I don't think it has been used in a lot of game. CryEngine would already a better solution if we wanted to go this path IMO.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Back to top Go down
RodGame
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 9:16 am

Oliveriver wrote:
If we are to use it, we'll need to ensure that we really are a non-profit game, for which ~scio will have to be the ultimate judge.

scio won't be there until a couple of days, but the game will be non-profit. I've seen the information laying around the forum and I'm pretty sure that's what everyone has in mind. Eventually(we really don't need it for now), we might ask for donation to buy things like server, maybe even assets, ect... but we won't do any profit. Any donation will be redirected directly toward the game.

So I would say, go ahead! I've looked a bit and it seems like a nice engine that would give use nice flexibility(Remember when I was talking about dynamically presenting different language instead of hardcoding it? I think this engine will do it quite easily and would allow to translate the website in various language). I would ask them the question and make sure that a free open-source project that may eventually gather some donation for the only purpose of the game is considered a non-profit organization. We don't know for a fact that we'll even take donation some day. But I'd ask the question just to make sure to not get in trouble down the way after you've spent weeks working on this.

About the time it will take, take you can take your time to make a decent website. Just show us some screenshot here and there to show that it is still in devlopment and everyone will be happy

NickTheNick wrote:
So, I think we should discuss the upcoming Thrive Bundle we plan on releasing publicly. First of all, to clarify the contents, it will be composed of the three prototypes and the music bundle, right?

What do you exactly mean by released publicly ?
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:15 am

I concur with all that Oliveriver has said.
Let me elaborate on ExpressionEngine Core. It is a feature limited edition of ExpressionEngine, which is IMO, the best CMS (content management system). I consider myself proficient in EE and can assist in EE-izing the website.

The great part about EE is that ~sciocont, Nick, Doggit, or any other moderators can post updates in their respective areas of the website in separate feeds called "channels".

Anyway, once we get the base website running we may want to do a Skype call, Google+ hangout or similar to show the moderators how to interact with the website.

Lots of work is about to be done over the weekend, and I hope you guys like it! Tell us what you think, we really need your feedback, y'all are our test group

@RodGame, EE does support easy language translation!
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:25 am

Okay, thanks for the feedback. If there is no further discussion until the end of today, I'll merge the thread with the Misc. thread.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:08 pm

EE sounds like a great base for the site, as we are nonprofit. We'll release the bundles when the website is all nice and polished, and once I get some of the currently troublesome songs bundled up.
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:28 pm

Awesome, ~sciocont. I'll get to work over the weekend and keep y'all updated on the progress. I think you'll love EE.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:32 am

Little news Scio:
I was been lurking at here, and i noticed facebook link for Thrive.
Then, i had noticed something interesting (on our facebook site):
Someone did say:
Try spreading the word on Reddit. Post to /r/truegaming.
That acttualy might reason why we get traffic flow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 26 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 26 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next