Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Go down 
+93
JoseAAV
Disastericks
Secondkingstons
EnergyKnife
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Jimexmore
Grimm Reaper
Atrox
Xazo-Tak
HariboTer
Naevius
jay sheddan
Im a Peanut
Tritium
Tarpy
Narnobie123
Gawbad
Nimbal
Thriving Cheese
WJacobC
FunnyGames
PerfectOrganismil
TheSmart_1
Dilophoraptor
untrustedlife
BioMike
energypro
RodGame
protoast
Cobalt58
jman12351
Sundu
ExtraSolar
Dumb_person69
spacetime_dinosaur
Oliveriver
Calfeggs
NikolaAnicic007
MitochondriaBox
Tré Wisemen
SmartGenius
ComradeDoc
THRIVE
thrivepedia
beachbum111111
WilliamstheJohn
ingaborgasaurus
Raptorstorm
alduin2013
decelis93
Noone
gvd72
Jopetsu
Daniferrito
M3rox
Rorsten594
roadkillguy
Silver Sterling
Carnifex
Seregon
PREDAL1ENWARRIOR
GamerXA
Brennus
nziswat
PHILmg
NickTheNick
wwewar
ethroptur
Orygandian2
penumbra espinosa
Pezzalis
zippybomb
jmc-24
Holomanga
MeowMan1
Kraeken
Crimsonspawn
Hegataro
Theusfilipe
PTFace
Doggit
Sgt. Lost Time
US_of_Alaska
Admiral Van Tromp
ido66667
D4RK_VOID
bill2505
Dr_Chillgood
Tenebrarum
Army-Lion
Mysterious_Calligrapher
~sciocont
The Uteen
97 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40
AuthorMessage
M3rox
Newcomer
M3rox

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 12:54 pm

How will armor and penetration be implemented? 
My idea is: We could calculate the effective armor thickness and the penetration of the projectile. If the armor thickness is higher, the projectile will bounce off, but if the penetraion is higher, it will get through the armor. The effective armor thickness depends on the angle it's placed at and the angle at which the projectile hits the armor plate.

E = effective thickness
A = armor thickness                   
x = angle

E=A/cos(x)   

And for the penetration we could use the Krupp-Formula (if the projectile is ompletely made of steel):

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Durchschlagskraft_Krupp
Sb = armor thickness/penetration (mm)
E = kinetic energy (J)
k = caliber (cm)

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Continous

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Oliveriver wrote:
Continous wrote:
WilliamstheJohn wrote:
Nope, this will be clean sandbox.
Belgium, was really hoping to be able to, I would love to help in a project like this, but writing is my only strong point for this sort of thing.

We'll need descriptions of all the editor parts and game functions, as well as written tutorials, so there's plenty to do on the writing front.

On an unrelated (but in some ways related) note, are we ready to start planning the next podcast?
Well then, if you do ever need writing done just page me. Will add my e-mail to contact listings shortly.
Back to top Go down
GmansWatching
Newcomer
GmansWatching

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 1:05 am

Alright everyone, haven't been on for a month or so. Finishing school and all. What exactly have I missed? I've seen a few releases come out, I saw the prototypes and such, the Microbe stage is coming along great. Now is there anything I can do at the moment? And if anyone remembers, I've been in some older threads relating to the Strategic, Tech, Space and Industrial areas.
Back to top Go down
Nimbal
Programming Team lead

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 4:04 am

I just came upon this video, showing off "Species", a game about evolution.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 4:35 am

Nimbal wrote:
I just came upon this video, showing off "Species", a game about evolution.
We've tslked about it before, and species has a pretty different and more realistic evolutiona and natural selection mechanics going on with each and every individual creature off a species - sadly we found that that would be to memory-costing for Thrives worlds...
Back to top Go down
http://thrive-game.deviantart.com/
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 7:47 am

Actually, the author (or at least he claimed to be one of them) even came to this forums.

You can look at the thread here.
Back to top Go down
Oliveriver
Music Team Co-Lead
Oliveriver

Location : England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster, The Universe

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 8:42 am

I've got two miscellaneous points that I've been considering which I would like to mention:

1. I saw that the menu discussion thread had been moved to the archive, but I'd just like to add a point regarding the main menu and music. This idea was sparked when I watched a concept video made by one of the forum's members, BlueDragon25612, for the main menu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz2bB_UHHr0 (skip to around 0:13). As far as I can tell, he made it with the intention of seeing what sort of impression the player would have when listening to the music in the main menu. Though it was rather basic and in a sense unneeded, it did start me thinking about the music in the menu. Until now, most people have assumed that it would just be the Main Theme (either mine or hongchong7's) that played while the player was perusing the options of the menu. However, BlueDragon25612's video does show that the main theme maybe isn't cut out for the menu, and not everyone would want to listen to the same theme over and over when they start the game.

What I propose is that we have an unlockable music system - as a player plays through the game, they will of course listen to many different themes. Once they hear a theme, it would be labelled as 'Unlocked', but until they do it would be labelled as 'Locked'. How do these labels apply? Maybe once we have a fully featured microbe stage (actually I should have mentioned this earlier: all of this is just speculative for when the game reaches a playable stage), in the menu we have an 'Extras' button, containing among other things concept art and a music playlist. When a player begins for the first time, all but the Main Theme will be locked, but as I mentioned earlier they'll unlock new themes as they progress through the game. Any unlocked theme can be played by clicking on it, and it can also be set as the default theme to play in the main menu. That way, a player who absolutely detests the main theme but loves one of the microbe themes would be able to set that as the default menu music.

2. I'm afraid I'll be increasingly inactive for the next few weeks as I'm extremely busy, but after a month or so I'll have almost nothing to do. I've decided that when I do reach this point, I'll put my crude animation skills into action again to make an animated concept for the entire microbe stage based off the specification, using the actual cell models and GUI (which should be finalised by then). You may call me crazy, but then I called myself crazy when I told myself I wanted to make an animation concept for the editor, and that turned out alright.
Back to top Go down
http://oliverlugg.com/
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Okay, I don't know how to go about this, but I'm wondering if I can ask about reviving a thread, the thread about projectile weapons on the Tech Editor. Below is what I would like to add.

Weapons such as Gatling guns, they have multiple barrels that rotate to achieve rapid-fire, this could be a way to implement a more exotic design to your gunpowder weapons. In fact, these weapons predated modern machine guns, the only other way for rapid-fire was shooting multiple bullets at once like the duck-foot gun, which shot about three projectiles at once.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 3:34 am

Wait, before his post gets buried by even more changes of topic, I would like to re-address Immortal Dragon's question on digging and burrowing.

To what extent will the environment be destructible in the game? Will planet's even be destructible before the space stage?

@M3rox

Wow, that is exactly what we need for discussing the implementation of ballistics in-game. Is there a formula akin to that that is not specifically regarding steel projectiles?

I think that we ought to start a new thread on this, but I think we should first wait for it to arise on the FP Discussion thread.

@GMansWatching

Welcome back! A lot has gotten underway with the Microbe Stage, and there are a great many places you can contribute to at the moment, so see what is currently under discussion and see if you can jump in.

@Dani, Thriving Cheese, and Nimbal

Ah, I remember that. So what was the resolution with Quasar? 

Also, this reminds me of the communications with the guy in charge of Space Engine. What was concluded with him?

@Oliveriver

That's a good idea. I know Runescape was able to implement that and I remember it was something I liked about the game. It instilled this sort of subconscious goal throughout the game to acquire new soundtracks for your collection. All that would have to be determined is the conditions each theme would be unlocked under.

Have fun with your next few weeks. I will certainly be excited to see your concept video, as the last one was quite terrific.

@Immortal Dragon

Yes, ballistics is a big storm I can see approaching on the horizon. We have managed to avoid solving it for now, but I think that the time is nigh to seek a means of implementation for it in the game. We will have to discuss alternate means of rapid fire, assembling guns in the Tech Editor, how to deal with ammunition, designing missiles, how to make guns unique, etc. Keep that thought in mind for I while most likely create a new thread on this soon.
Back to top Go down
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 11:41 am

I've made a Thrive-poster-spray for Team Fortress 2, with a link to our website.
VMT file
VTF file
You need both files for it to work.
Put the files in <Steam folder>\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials\vgui\logos\
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 12:46 pm

That's actually not necessary. Just upload a .png or .jpg and you need only to go into advanced settings in TF2 to set your spray image.
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
Thriving Cheese
Art Team Lead
Thriving Cheese

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 2:00 pm

WJacobC wrote:
That's actually not necessary. Just upload a .png or .jpg and you need only to go into advanced settings in TF2 to set your spray image.
But from what I knows it doesn't works with normal formats.
Back to top Go down
WJacobC
Outreach Team Lead
WJacobC

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Mine is a .jpg of Jebediah Kerman saved to my desktop so we should be fine.
Back to top Go down
http://WJacobC.com
tjblazer85
Newcomer
tjblazer85

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 5:35 pm

I'm gonna spray this all over my favorite tf2 trading and regular servers!
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 7:21 pm

zippybomb wrote:
What about burrowing creatures like moles and amphisbaneans? How would they work? What soil could they dig in and what couldn't they? How would they see if they had no eyes? If you lived in a cave how would that work?

@NicktheNick

Looks like someone had a similar idea to me, on like page 7 or so on this thread, and I haven't seen it been answered (66 pages=:affraid:) so maybe this deserves an answer first.
Back to top Go down
NickTheNick
Overall Team Co-Lead
NickTheNick

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 EmptyMon Jun 24, 2013 7:45 pm

Yes, I know, which is why twice now I have asked the question:

Quote :
To what extent will the environment be destructible in the game?

-------

https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/viewtopic.forum?t=1226
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread   Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread - Page 40 Empty

Back to top Go down

Miscellaneous Bugs And Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread
Page 40 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40