Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 Hey there!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer


Posts : 83
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2011-11-13
Age : 21
Location : The Void...

PostSubject: Hey there!   Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:53 am

I am obviously new to this forum but I would like to help.
I have already spread the word of this game and im looking forward to helping.
Im a good animator and have advanced skills in IT.
I hope Thrive eliminates the childish things in Spore and adds realistic and scientific things. I hope that the stupid dances are eliminated (mating) and no stupid noises from our creatures. It should be a little more serious. maybe add a hint of blood/gore?
When our creation is fully developed into a living multi cellular creature... It should be little more fun...
Make Civilization stage more like Age Of empires ( huge amounts of soldiers) as in adding soldiers to the game, not just vehicles. Guns and other weapons would be good too.
Oh and i'm not sure if this is good but how about a sea stage like the one from the very first spore?
So anyway i would be glad to help in ANY way. Even if it is just thinking of ideas for cells Easter eggs etc.


Last edited by D4RK_VOID on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pyrotin
Newcomer


Posts : 36
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-08-03
Age : 19
Location : U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:39 am

Hello, welcome to the forums! Please read the concepts, they are accesible from the main portal menu thing. I believe that it would help answer most of your questions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ido66667
Regular


Posts : 366
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 102
Location : Space - Time

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:20 am

Hey.
I wish you a nice stay

P.S.
Read the concept if you want to Know more info About the Project
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:10 am

Welcome! Yes, read around a bit, most of this has already been sorted out, and don't worry, we aren't basing this in any way off Spore. Spore based their game off Spore, (in fact, they defined the Spore category) and it was not great. Spore was a creation game, in short. And were making an evolution game. Followed by technological evolution. Followed by ascension. Then it becomes slightly more of a creation game. But that's supposed to happen when you're playing with a creature that has received god-like abilities.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:28 am

Hey there! Nice to have someone with IT background on the project, we will need that for certain game features. I'm sciocont, I'm in charge here, and if you need anything, PM me or US of Alaska, my right hand man.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:16 pm

-camera pans to the right-

And that would be me. Hulloh, there, D4rk Void. It is indeed nice to see some more technical capable people around these parts. UTeen said it pretty well, but in case you missed it it's rather important you understand that we aren't trying to just be a better Spore or fix the things that Spore screwed up. We are trying to make our own game, and these days it doesn't have much to do with Spore except that you control an organism and then a nation (if you wish to progress, that is, it's all up to the player). It will definitely be more scientific than Spore, though, don't you worry about that.

And yes, check the wiki for more details on mechanics and gameplay concepts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer


Posts : 83
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2011-11-13
Age : 21
Location : The Void...

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:56 am

-camera goes back to main charicter- (ehehehehe >:])

So everything sounds good. I have gone through the wiki and stuff, but is there anything I can help with?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob Blackmon
Newcomer


Posts : 15
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-10-14
Age : 20
Location : Southern California

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:54 am

Welcome!

I read your OP and to mE it sounds like you have the image of a Spore 2.
This is not our goal. Our goal is to make a game of evolution. It's our own game, and it's not based off spore.
I hope that clears up any confusion. As for the concepts you named off, a lot of those are already posted throughout the forum.
It's not like you have bad ideas, it's that we've already thought of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer


Posts : 83
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2011-11-13
Age : 21
Location : The Void...

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:05 am

Bob Blackmon wrote:
Welcome!

I read your OP and to mE it sounds like you have the image of a Spore 2.
This is not our goal. Our goal is to make a game of evolution. It's our own game, and it's not based off spore.
I hope that clears up any confusion. As for the concepts you named off, a lot of those are already posted throughout the forum.
It's not like you have bad ideas, it's that we've already thought of them.

Close but my image is not a Spore 2. Im expecting a game similar to Spore but not exactly.
So nobody wants to answer my first question :'(
HOW can I HELP?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:12 pm

D4RK_VOID wrote:
Bob Blackmon wrote:
Welcome!

I read your OP and to mE it sounds like you have the image of a Spore 2.
This is not our goal. Our goal is to make a game of evolution. It's our own game, and it's not based off spore.
I hope that clears up any confusion. As for the concepts you named off, a lot of those are already posted throughout the forum.
It's not like you have bad ideas, it's that we've already thought of them.

Close but my image is not a Spore 2. Im expecting a game similar to Spore but not exactly.
So nobody wants to answer my first question :'(
HOW can I HELP?
You can do anything you like from give ideas, to making concept art, to actually programming the game. If you've got any skills that could help move the game forward, or give an idea of how things might look (or sound (or smell)) eventually, feel free to use them to help move the game forward, or give an idea of how things... Well, you get the idea. Concepts, ideas, or to-put-in-game files, it's all good.

And if you can't think up any ideas, you can comment and improve upon other people's ideas too. That's most of what goes on here, usually. Improvements and tweaking to the vast pool of concepts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead


Posts : 1179
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2010-10-01
Age : 23
Location : ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:46 pm

Did I introduce myself here? I could have sworn I did. Oh well.

Hey, I'm Tenebrarum (or Rex to some), and I'm the head of the Society Team. I'm the go-to person for anything that has to do with nations and culture.

Now, you said you're an animator? Lovely! I have a challenge for you!
You see, our programmer(s?) is/are currently chugging away on the main game engine. Once that's done, we may or may not move on to the OE: the Organism Editor. If we do, we're gonna need to make animations for the organisms. But not just any animations, procedural animations. Do you think you're up to it? [/challenge]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer


Posts : 83
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2011-11-13
Age : 21
Location : The Void...

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:03 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
Did I introduce myself here? I could have sworn I did. Oh well.

Hey, I'm Tenebrarum (or Rex to some), and I'm the head of the Society Team. I'm the go-to person for anything that has to do with nations and culture.

Now, you said you're an animator? Lovely! I have a challenge for you!
You see, our programmer(s?) is/are currently chugging away on the main game engine. Once that's done, we may or may not move on to the OE: the Organism Editor. If we do, we're gonna need to make animations for the organisms. But not just any animations, procedural animations. Do you think you're up to it? [/challenge]

ok sounds good.
But do you have the sprite/file of the module I have to animate? and also does it have eg arms that can be pivoted around?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer


Posts : 83
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2011-11-13
Age : 21
Location : The Void...

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:11 am

The Uteen wrote:
D4RK_VOID wrote:
Bob Blackmon wrote:
Welcome!

I read your OP and to mE it sounds like you have the image of a Spore 2.
This is not our goal. Our goal is to make a game of evolution. It's our own game, and it's not based off spore.
I hope that clears up any confusion. As for the concepts you named off, a lot of those are already posted throughout the forum.
It's not like you have bad ideas, it's that we've already thought of them.

Close but my image is not a Spore 2. Im expecting a game similar to Spore but not exactly.
So nobody wants to answer my first question :'(
HOW can I HELP?
You can do anything you like from give ideas, to making concept art, to actually programming the game. If you've got any skills that could help move the game forward, or give an idea of how things might look (or sound (or smell)) eventually, feel free to use them to help move the game forward, or give an idea of how things... Well, you get the idea. Concepts, ideas, or to-put-in-game files, it's all good.

And if you can't think up any ideas, you can comment and improve upon other people's ideas too. That's most of what goes on here, usually. Improvements and tweaking to the vast pool of concepts.

in the creature stage I dont know if this is possible but can we (when u are consuming them can we add some high detail to the carcass so that you can actualy see the parts being ripped off?
Also for a dead carcass thats been lieing around for awhile (based off spore SORRY :/) we can add some flies to fly around it?
hmmm and another thing I have always wondered. Can we add birds to the game? Im sure we can think of a simple design for one (pretty much they are just for decor. They will make noise (tweeting noises) and ussualy hang around in trees but in rare cases go to the ground and peck around. When the player approaches them they fly away into nearest tree. They cannot be harmed (eg if laggy player will go through them but still nothing happens to birds.)

But ye im full of idea's for every phase of the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer


Posts : 83
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2011-11-13
Age : 21
Location : The Void...

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:27 am

Another thing I couldnt resist not to ask...
In space stage can we have a group of spaceships eg 50-100, when raiding other planets?
I mean seriousely in Spore you are a 1 man army, and when you are attacked they come in groups.
↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr_Chillgood
Newcomer


Posts : 56
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:35 am

Oh hi! I'm one of the older guys who came back, in short. I'm sort of working on cellular evo and stuff of that sort.

I think we may have some proto-cell sprites you may want to take a look at. you can find them here: http://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t650-microbe-stage-mobs
Our main focus isn't cell stage right now (i believe our focus is on the OE) but until roadkill has a job for you perhaps you could play around with the sprites?

(unless Alaska wanted to have that liberty of coarse.)

And keep in mind: if this game is done in the way that it's going, evolution will happen seamlessly, and you probably won't know what's changed until longer after it has. There will be no definitions of stages at all, and transitions between things should be seamless. If you ave any other questions I would suggest looking around the forum for the answers. There will be some.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer


Posts : 83
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2011-11-13
Age : 21
Location : The Void...

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:35 am

Dr_Chillgood wrote:
There will be no definitions of stages at all, and transitions between things should be seamless.

That does not make sense. How will the game cope with that? It needs to load up eventually doesn't it?

Wait a minute... Cant we do that in game as well?
Like have a little icon on the top right corner with the thrive logo and under it saying loading?
(trying to keep away from Spore's loading screen when passing through phases)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer


Posts : 83
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2011-11-13
Age : 21
Location : The Void...

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:59 am

Hey in later stages like when we finish the microbe stage are you going to release it to us to test?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:45 pm

D4RK_VOID wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
D4RK_VOID wrote:
Bob Blackmon wrote:
Welcome!

I read your OP and to mE it sounds like you have the image of a Spore 2.
This is not our goal. Our goal is to make a game of evolution. It's our own game, and it's not based off spore.
I hope that clears up any confusion. As for the concepts you named off, a lot of those are already posted throughout the forum.
It's not like you have bad ideas, it's that we've already thought of them.

Close but my image is not a Spore 2. Im expecting a game similar to Spore but not exactly.
So nobody wants to answer my first question :'(
HOW can I HELP?
You can do anything you like from give ideas, to making concept art, to actually programming the game. If you've got any skills that could help move the game forward, or give an idea of how things might look (or sound (or smell)) eventually, feel free to use them to help move the game forward, or give an idea of how things... Well, you get the idea. Concepts, ideas, or to-put-in-game files, it's all good.

And if you can't think up any ideas, you can comment and improve upon other people's ideas too. That's most of what goes on here, usually. Improvements and tweaking to the vast pool of concepts.

in the creature stage I dont know if this is possible but can we (when u are consuming them can we add some high detail to the carcass so that you can actualy see the parts being ripped off?
Also for a dead carcass thats been lieing around for awhile (based off spore SORRY :/) we can add some flies to fly around it?
hmmm and another thing I have always wondered. Can we add birds to the game? Im sure we can think of a simple design for one (pretty much they are just for decor. They will make noise (tweeting noises) and ussualy hang around in trees but in rare cases go to the ground and peck around. When the player approaches them they fly away into nearest tree. They cannot be harmed (eg if laggy player will go through them but still nothing happens to birds.)

But ye im full of idea's for every phase of the game.

Yes, yes, birds will be in it. So will worms, and cabbages. So will scavengers like flies, in fact they have a special slot in biomes reserved specifically for them.


And space stage will have fleets too, but mainly they will be used in strategy mode. (organism mode = play an an organism. Strategy mode = assemble and command troops/fleets/other names of groups of things, put simply)
It would be quite annoying to be one of the 'disposable' scouters when in organism mode, really. But possible, I imagine.

The game loads new stuff when you sleep, if it needs to. And if it isn't something that can be done while you sleep, I think most of it can be done in the background.
For more info on sleep, wait until someone posts a link to the thread where we talked about that. (That's your cue, someone who knows their way around this pool of concepts) (and this may or may not be to cover for the fact I really can't remember what we decided on that)

And the game will be open source, meaning the current progress will be viewable. If fact, we do have a pre-alpha of the game (which should get a global sticky thread, which can be updated with new versions). I shall tell you why you shouldn't get too excited just yet. This is officially the first time the spoiler tag has been used to hide a spoiler of actual game content!

Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer


Posts : 83
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2011-11-13
Age : 21
Location : The Void...

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:11 am

The Uteen wrote:

Yes, yes, birds will be in it. So will worms, and cabbages. So will scavengers like flies, in fact they have a special slot in biomes reserved specifically for them.


And space stage will have fleets too, but mainly they will be used in strategy mode. (organism mode = play an an organism. Strategy mode = assemble and command troops/fleets/other names of groups of things, put simply)
It would be quite annoying to be one of the 'disposable' scouters when in organism mode, really. But possible, I imagine.

The game loads new stuff when you sleep, if it needs to. And if it isn't something that can be done while you sleep, I think most of it can be done in the background.
For more info on sleep, wait until someone posts a link to the thread where we talked about that. (That's your cue, someone who knows their way around this pool of concepts) (and this may or may not be to cover for the fact I really can't remember what we decided on that)

And the game will be open source, meaning the current progress will be viewable. If fact, we do have a pre-alpha of the game (which should get a global sticky thread, which can be updated with new versions). I shall tell you why you shouldn't get too excited just yet. This is officially the first time the spoiler tag has been used to hide a spoiler of actual game content!

When will the pre alpha available to play and test?
Oh and also, how will we finish the game? Go to the core of the galaxy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr_Chillgood
Newcomer


Posts : 56
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:38 am

Your species enters into a state of being we call ascension. Basically they become god like in ability, and even then the game doesn't technically end I believe. (and at the center of every galaxy is in fact a super black hole that will basically eat you and your family the first chance it gets. Before that is millions of stars surrounding it that make the space around them white hot which is like being in a super oven. That will melt you and your fancy space shoes instantly.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead


Posts : 1476
Reputation : 70
Join date : 2010-07-06
Age : 20
Location : England, Virgo Supercluster

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:31 pm

Dr_Chillgood wrote:
Your species enters into a state of being we call ascension. Basically they become god like in ability, and even then the game doesn't technically end I believe. (and at the center of every galaxy is in fact a super black hole that will basically eat you and your family the first chance it gets. Before that is millions of stars surrounding it that make the space around them white hot which is like being in a super oven. That will melt you and your fancy space shoes instantly.)
QFT

Pre-Alpha download link (second post down)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead


Posts : 1034
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2010-11-26
Age : 24
Location : Earth, the solar system, the milky way...

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:55 pm

And it seems that once again I have fallen off the welcome wagon.

I'm Calli, I run biomes, translation team, something else...
Anyhow, welcome to the team.


(If I'm quiet it's because I'm plotting.)

_________________
Environmental, Chemical and Linguistic Specialist.
If you speak or write any language that isn't English, we want you.
Now accepting biome donations here.

Please note that there is no currently scheduled time for panic.

Not actually ascended to another plane of existence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer


Posts : 83
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2011-11-13
Age : 21
Location : The Void...

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:35 am

Hey when can I receive a task?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead


Posts : 1335
Reputation : 29
Join date : 2010-07-07
Age : 23
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:55 pm

Patience is a warrior's greatest weapon. You were only interested in testing, right? That's a fair ways off yet, sorry. But the main thing is that it is approaching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer


Posts : 83
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2011-11-13
Age : 21
Location : The Void...

PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:08 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Patience is a warrior's greatest weapon. You were only interested in testing, right? That's a fair ways off yet, sorry. But the main thing is that it is approaching.

Animating*
...and photoshop


Last edited by D4RK_VOID on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Today at 6:27 am

Back to top Go down
 
Hey there!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Get Involved-
Jump to: