Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Hey there! Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Hey there! Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Hey there! Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Hey there! Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Hey there! Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Hey there! Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Hey there! Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Hey there! Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Hey there! Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Hey there! Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Hey there! Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Hey there! Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Hey there! Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Hey there! Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Hey there! Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Hey there! Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Hey there! Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Hey there! Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Hey there! Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Hey there! Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Hey there!

Go down 
+6
US_of_Alaska
~sciocont
The Uteen
ido66667
Pyrotin
D4RK_VOID
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 12:53 am

I am obviously new to this forum but I would like to help.
I have already spread the word of this game and im looking forward to helping.
Im a good animator and have advanced skills in IT.
I hope Thrive eliminates the childish things in Spore and adds realistic and scientific things. I hope that the stupid dances are eliminated (mating) and no stupid noises from our creatures. It should be a little more serious. maybe add a hint of blood/gore?
When our creation is fully developed into a living multi cellular creature... It should be little more fun...
Make Civilization stage more like Age Of empires ( huge amounts of soldiers) as in adding soldiers to the game, not just vehicles. Guns and other weapons would be good too.
Oh and i'm not sure if this is good but how about a sea stage like the one from the very first spore?
So anyway i would be glad to help in ANY way. Even if it is just thinking of ideas for cells Easter eggs etc.

Last edited by D4RK_VOID on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Pyrotin
Newcomer
Pyrotin

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 1:39 am

Hello, welcome to the forums! Please read the concepts, they are accesible from the main portal menu thing. I believe that it would help answer most of your questions.
Back to top Go down
ido66667
Regular
ido66667

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 5:20 am

Hey.
I wish you a nice stay

P.S.
Read the concept if you want to Know more info About the Project
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 8:10 am

Welcome! Yes, read around a bit, most of this has already been sorted out, and don't worry, we aren't basing this in any way off Spore. Spore based their game off Spore, (in fact, they defined the Spore category) and it was not great. Spore was a creation game, in short. And were making an evolution game. Followed by technological evolution. Followed by ascension. Then it becomes slightly more of a creation game. But that's supposed to happen when you're playing with a creature that has received god-like abilities.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 11:28 am

Hey there! Nice to have someone with IT background on the project, we will need that for certain game features. I'm sciocont, I'm in charge here, and if you need anything, PM me or US of Alaska, my right hand man.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 6:16 pm

-camera pans to the right-

And that would be me. Hulloh, there, D4rk Void. It is indeed nice to see some more technical capable people around these parts. UTeen said it pretty well, but in case you missed it it's rather important you understand that we aren't trying to just be a better Spore or fix the things that Spore screwed up. We are trying to make our own game, and these days it doesn't have much to do with Spore except that you control an organism and then a nation (if you wish to progress, that is, it's all up to the player). It will definitely be more scientific than Spore, though, don't you worry about that.

And yes, check the wiki for more details on mechanics and gameplay concepts.
Back to top Go down
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 1:56 am

-camera goes back to main charicter- (ehehehehe >:])

So everything sounds good. I have gone through the wiki and stuff, but is there anything I can help with?
Back to top Go down
Bob Blackmon
Newcomer
Bob Blackmon

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 2:54 am

Welcome!

I read your OP and to mE it sounds like you have the image of a Spore 2.
This is not our goal. Our goal is to make a game of evolution. It's our own game, and it's not based off spore.
I hope that clears up any confusion. As for the concepts you named off, a lot of those are already posted throughout the forum.
It's not like you have bad ideas, it's that we've already thought of them.
Back to top Go down
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 7:05 am

Bob Blackmon wrote:
Welcome!

This is not our goal. Our goal is to make a game of evolution. It's our own game, and it's not based off spore.
I hope that clears up any confusion. As for the concepts you named off, a lot of those are already posted throughout the forum.

Close but my image is not a Spore 2. Im expecting a game similar to Spore but not exactly.
So nobody wants to answer my first question :'(
HOW can I HELP?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 12:12 pm

D4RK_VOID wrote:
Bob Blackmon wrote:
Welcome!

Close but my image is not a Spore 2. Im expecting a game similar to Spore but not exactly.
HOW can I HELP?
You can do anything you like from give ideas, to making concept art, to actually programming the game. If you've got any skills that could help move the game forward, or give an idea of how things might look (or sound (or smell)) eventually, feel free to use them to help move the game forward, or give an idea of how things... Well, you get the idea. Concepts, ideas, or to-put-in-game files, it's all good.

And if you can't think up any ideas, you can comment and improve upon other people's ideas too. That's most of what goes on here, usually. Improvements and tweaking to the vast pool of concepts.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 4:46 pm

Did I introduce myself here? I could have sworn I did. Oh well.

Hey, I'm Tenebrarum (or Rex to some), and I'm the head of the Society Team. I'm the go-to person for anything that has to do with nations and culture.

Now, you said you're an animator? Lovely! I have a challenge for you!
You see, our programmer(s?) is/are currently chugging away on the main game engine. Once that's done, we may or may not move on to the OE: the Organism Editor. If we do, we're gonna need to make animations for the organisms. But not just any animations, procedural animations. Do you think you're up to it? [/challenge]
Back to top Go down
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 1:03 am

Tenebrarum wrote:
Did I introduce myself here? I could have sworn I did. Oh well.

Hey, I'm Tenebrarum (or Rex to some), and I'm the head of the Society Team. I'm the go-to person for anything that has to do with nations and culture.

Now, you said you're an animator? Lovely! I have a challenge for you!
You see, our programmer(s?) is/are currently chugging away on the main game engine. Once that's done, we may or may not move on to the OE: the Organism Editor. If we do, we're gonna need to make animations for the organisms. But not just any animations, procedural animations. Do you think you're up to it? [/challenge]

ok sounds good.
But do you have the sprite/file of the module I have to animate? and also does it have eg arms that can be pivoted around?
Back to top Go down
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 1:11 am

The Uteen wrote:
D4RK_VOID wrote:
Bob Blackmon wrote:
Welcome!

HOW can I HELP?
You can do anything you like from give ideas, to making concept art, to actually programming the game. If you've got any skills that could help move the game forward, or give an idea of how things might look (or sound (or smell)) eventually, feel free to use them to help move the game forward, or give an idea of how things... Well, you get the idea. Concepts, ideas, or to-put-in-game files, it's all good.

And if you can't think up any ideas, you can comment and improve upon other people's ideas too. That's most of what goes on here, usually. Improvements and tweaking to the vast pool of concepts.

in the creature stage I dont know if this is possible but can we (when u are consuming them can we add some high detail to the carcass so that you can actualy see the parts being ripped off?
Also for a dead carcass thats been lieing around for awhile (based off spore SORRY :/) we can add some flies to fly around it?
hmmm and another thing I have always wondered. Can we add birds to the game? Im sure we can think of a simple design for one (pretty much they are just for decor. They will make noise (tweeting noises) and ussualy hang around in trees but in rare cases go to the ground and peck around. When the player approaches them they fly away into nearest tree. They cannot be harmed (eg if laggy player will go through them but still nothing happens to birds.)

But ye im full of idea's for every phase of the game.
Back to top Go down
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 1:27 am

Another thing I couldnt resist not to ask...
In space stage can we have a group of spaceships eg 50-100, when raiding other planets?
I mean seriousely in Spore you are a 1 man army, and when you are attacked they come in groups.
↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔↔
Back to top Go down
Dr_Chillgood
Newcomer
Dr_Chillgood

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 1:35 am

Oh hi! I'm one of the older guys who came back, in short. I'm sort of working on cellular evo and stuff of that sort.

I think we may have some proto-cell sprites you may want to take a look at. you can find them here: https://thrivegame.canadaboard.net/t650-microbe-stage-mobs
Our main focus isn't cell stage right now (i believe our focus is on the OE) but until roadkill has a job for you perhaps you could play around with the sprites?

(unless Alaska wanted to have that liberty of coarse.)

And keep in mind: if this game is done in the way that it's going, evolution will happen seamlessly, and you probably won't know what's changed until longer after it has. There will be no definitions of stages at all, and transitions between things should be seamless. If you ave any other questions I would suggest looking around the forum for the answers. There will be some.
Back to top Go down
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 2:35 am

Dr_Chillgood wrote:
There will be no definitions of stages at all, and transitions between things should be seamless.

That does not make sense. How will the game cope with that? It needs to load up eventually doesn't it?

Wait a minute... Cant we do that in game as well?
Like have a little icon on the top right corner with the thrive logo and under it saying loading?
(trying to keep away from Spore's loading screen when passing through phases)
Back to top Go down
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 6:59 am

Hey in later stages like when we finish the microbe stage are you going to release it to us to test?
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 12:45 pm

D4RK_VOID wrote:
The Uteen wrote:
D4RK_VOID wrote:
Bob Blackmon wrote:
Welcome!

HOW can I HELP?

in the creature stage I dont know if this is possible but can we (when u are consuming them can we add some high detail to the carcass so that you can actualy see the parts being ripped off?
Also for a dead carcass thats been lieing around for awhile (based off spore SORRY :/) we can add some flies to fly around it?
hmmm and another thing I have always wondered. Can we add birds to the game? Im sure we can think of a simple design for one (pretty much they are just for decor. They will make noise (tweeting noises) and ussualy hang around in trees but in rare cases go to the ground and peck around. When the player approaches them they fly away into nearest tree. They cannot be harmed (eg if laggy player will go through them but still nothing happens to birds.)

But ye im full of idea's for every phase of the game.

Yes, yes, birds will be in it. So will worms, and cabbages. So will scavengers like flies, in fact they have a special slot in biomes reserved specifically for them.

And space stage will have fleets too, but mainly they will be used in strategy mode. (organism mode = play an an organism. Strategy mode = assemble and command troops/fleets/other names of groups of things, put simply)
It would be quite annoying to be one of the 'disposable' scouters when in organism mode, really. But possible, I imagine.

The game loads new stuff when you sleep, if it needs to. And if it isn't something that can be done while you sleep, I think most of it can be done in the background.
For more info on sleep, wait until someone posts a link to the thread where we talked about that. (That's your cue, someone who knows their way around this pool of concepts) (and this may or may not be to cover for the fact I really can't remember what we decided on that)

And the game will be open source, meaning the current progress will be viewable. If fact, we do have a pre-alpha of the game (which should get a global sticky thread, which can be updated with new versions). I shall tell you why you shouldn't get too excited just yet. This is officially the first time the spoiler tag has been used to hide a spoiler of actual game content!

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 1:11 am

The Uteen wrote:

Yes, yes, birds will be in it. So will worms, and cabbages. So will scavengers like flies, in fact they have a special slot in biomes reserved specifically for them.

And space stage will have fleets too, but mainly they will be used in strategy mode. (organism mode = play an an organism. Strategy mode = assemble and command troops/fleets/other names of groups of things, put simply)
It would be quite annoying to be one of the 'disposable' scouters when in organism mode, really. But possible, I imagine.

The game loads new stuff when you sleep, if it needs to. And if it isn't something that can be done while you sleep, I think most of it can be done in the background.
For more info on sleep, wait until someone posts a link to the thread where we talked about that. (That's your cue, someone who knows their way around this pool of concepts) (and this may or may not be to cover for the fact I really can't remember what we decided on that)

And the game will be open source, meaning the current progress will be viewable. If fact, we do have a pre-alpha of the game (which should get a global sticky thread, which can be updated with new versions). I shall tell you why you shouldn't get too excited just yet. This is officially the first time the spoiler tag has been used to hide a spoiler of actual game content!

When will the pre alpha available to play and test?
Oh and also, how will we finish the game? Go to the core of the galaxy?
Back to top Go down
Dr_Chillgood
Newcomer
Dr_Chillgood

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 1:38 am

Your species enters into a state of being we call ascension. Basically they become god like in ability, and even then the game doesn't technically end I believe. (and at the center of every galaxy is in fact a super black hole that will basically eat you and your family the first chance it gets. Before that is millions of stars surrounding it that make the space around them white hot which is like being in a super oven. That will melt you and your fancy space shoes instantly.)
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:31 pm

Dr_Chillgood wrote:
Your species enters into a state of being we call ascension. Basically they become god like in ability, and even then the game doesn't technically end I believe. (and at the center of every galaxy is in fact a super black hole that will basically eat you and your family the first chance it gets. Before that is millions of stars surrounding it that make the space around them white hot which is like being in a super oven. That will melt you and your fancy space shoes instantly.)
QFT

Pre-Alpha download link (second post down)
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 6:55 pm

And it seems that once again I have fallen off the welcome wagon.

I'm Calli, I run biomes, translation team, something else...
Anyhow, welcome to the team.

(If I'm quiet it's because I'm plotting.)
Back to top Go down
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 3:35 am

Hey when can I receive a task?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 7:55 pm

Patience is a warrior's greatest weapon. You were only interested in testing, right? That's a fair ways off yet, sorry. But the main thing is that it is approaching.
Back to top Go down
D4RK_VOID
Newcomer
D4RK_VOID

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 1:08 am

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Patience is a warrior's greatest weapon. You were only interested in testing, right? That's a fair ways off yet, sorry. But the main thing is that it is approaching.

Animating*
...and photoshop

Last edited by D4RK_VOID on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hey there! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey there!   Hey there! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hey there!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Get Involved-