Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Plant Gameplay

Go down 
+28
dinoman9877
PortalFan1000
penumbra espinosa
Cellular Dinosaur
Daniferrito
ido66667
Thriving Cheese
kingTherapsids
masternetra
Ac-curious-Thrive-fan
zippybomb
Kraeken
roadkillguy
Holomanga
Mysterious_Calligrapher
MeowMan1
Theslimy
PTFace
Holbenilord
Mixotroph
The Uteen
Tenebrarum
Pezzalis
Zetal
jaws2blood
~sciocont
GamerXA
tklarenb
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 5:38 pm

Mixotroph wrote:

I meant moving mixotrophs.

Also, theres a plant that moves when it "hears" sound. Look up the Telegraph Plant/Dancing Plant.

Have you discussed plants that can store large amounts of water like a Cactus?
I know what you meant, and this thread is about plants, not mixotrophs. Make a thread about mixotrophs if you really want to talk about it, don't just post random stuff about it on threads that have nothing to do with it.

I looked up the plant you talked about. I saw nothing about it moving due to sound, but it does move to access sunlight. Not sure how that would be implemented.

No, we have not talked about cactus like plants, but I'm pretty sure that would be handled by the OE. This thread is focusing on how the player will control their plants, not really about specific types as of yet, so that's why we haven't talked about them.

I've noticed almost everything you post is just an idea, and then you just leave. If you're going to post something, try to elaborate on why you think it should be in the game and how it would work. Also, nearly everything you post has been discussed. You don't have to read EVERYTHING, but try to read enough that you know generally what has been discussed. If you think of something that you haven't seen at all that you think should be included, THEN you can start putting out random posts like this. That's how I started the plant gameplay topic to begin with, I knew we were having it, but no one had said anything on how it would be done. So do that with your mixotroph idea, it's never going to go anywhere if you're posting stuff about it on topics like this. It just gets in the way here.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 12:52 am

I really like the gameplay concept so far. The monocot/dicot distinction is being stressed too much at the moment, as those are just two groups of flowering plants, and they are definitely not universally applicable. That's completely my fault though.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:25 am

~sciocont wrote:
I really like the gameplay concept so far. The monocot/dicot distinction is being stressed too much at the moment, as those are just two groups of flowering plants, and they are definitely not universally applicable. That's completely my fault though.

Well, the only thing it affects is how many plants you have to control and puts limits on parts. Otherwise there's no difference, so I don't think it's as bad as you think. Also, there could be alien versions of dicots that are for non-flowering plants, right? Not exactly sure how that would work for plants that aren't angiosperms or gymnosperms since they have spores instead of seeds, but this isn't Earth we're talking about, so it is possible.

That somewhat softens the difference since Earth versions of monocots wouldn't be by themselves. Is there an evolutionary advantage to being a monocot, because than it would make sense to give the player the choice to be one, no matter what type of plant they are. You said grass is a monocot, isn't its advantage that it can rapidly regrow after being eaten since it's basically just a leaf?

Other than softening the dicot/monocot differences, are there any other major things we need to consider?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 5:37 pm

tklarenb wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

Well, the only thing it affects is how many plants you have to control and puts limits on parts. Otherwise there's no difference, so I don't think it's as bad as you think. Also, there could be alien versions of dicots that are for non-flowering plants, right? Not exactly sure how that would work for plants that aren't angiosperms or gymnosperms since they have spores instead of seeds, but this isn't Earth we're talking about, so it is possible.

That somewhat softens the difference since Earth versions of monocots wouldn't be by themselves. Is there an evolutionary advantage to being a monocot, because than it would make sense to give the player the choice to be one, no matter what type of plant they are. You said grass is a monocot, isn't its advantage that it can rapidly regrow after being eaten since it's basically just a leaf?

Other than softening the dicot/monocot differences, are there any other major things we need to consider?
We can just say that the more complex your plant is, the less of them that you can control at once.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 5:54 pm

~sciocont wrote:
tklarenb wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

We can just say that the more complex your plant is, the less of them that you can control at once.

There we go, problem solved. What should the limits of the number of plants be? I'm thinking for huge plants like trees that we should have only one (or two if that doesn't work with the reproduction concept) and for monocot-like plants like grasses we should have around 15-20.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 6:57 pm

Actually, we need to manage by # of biopixels, not # of plants total. For the largest and most complex plants, one or two biopixels should do. for smaller things like grasses, that all depends on how big we make our planets in the long run. Probably ~50 pix.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 7:44 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Actually, we need to manage by # of biopixels, not # of plants total. For the largest and most complex plants, one or two biopixels should do. for smaller things like grasses, that all depends on how big we make our planets in the long run. Probably ~50 pix.
Wait, what's a biopixel?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 8:58 pm

tklarenb wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Wait, what's a biopixel?
Sorry. A biopixel is the smallest unit of space that makes up a biome. it's just a square of a set size that allows plants to play through their evolution game according to the autotroph distribution procedure.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 9:06 pm

~sciocont wrote:
tklarenb wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Wait, what's a biopixel?
Sorry. A biopixel is the smallest unit of space that makes up a biome. it's just a square of a set size that allows plants to play through their evolution game according to the autotroph distribution procedure.
Are you talking about plants in general or the player's plants? Because that's what I was talking about the number of plants the player controls.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 1:22 am

tklarenb wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
tklarenb wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Wait, what's a biopixel?
Are you talking about plants in general or the player's plants? Because that's what I was talking about the number of plants the player controls.
The number of plants the player controls is a certain amount of space, not a number of plants.
Back to top Go down
Holbenilord

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 9:26 am

Perhaps plant gameplay will be something like a Tower Defense game- you set up your defenses and leaves, and then watch as they gather resources and deter consumers?

Perhaps you could control a population of plants, rather than a single one?

Perhaps the microbes living in the roots could be put in somehow?

An intriguing defense is that of plants which create residences for other animals, such as ants, which fight herbivores.

Planimals- some plant and some animal characteristics- would they be possible?

Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 10:41 am

Read around- we've been discussing this a lot lately. The answers you seek aren't hard to find.
Back to top Go down
tklarenb
Learner
tklarenb

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 12:09 pm

~sciocont wrote:

The number of plants the player controls is a certain amount of space, not a number of plants.
So you're saying the player will be controlling whatever plants are inside a set area? I guess that makes sense, since there would be less larger, more complex plants than simple small plants in the same amount of area. I just wasn't thinking of it in that way before.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 1:03 pm

tklarenb wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

So you're saying the player will be controlling whatever plants are inside a set area? I guess that makes sense, since there would be less larger, more complex plants than simple small plants in the same amount of area. I just wasn't thinking of it in that way before.
Precisely.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptySat May 12, 2012 5:51 pm

it would be interesting to play as a parasitic or sentient plant
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptySat May 12, 2012 6:23 pm

PTFace wrote:
Parasitic plants are a definite possibility, since it would allow those plants to transcend the regular game of automata. Sentient plants are a no-go. There's really no reason for them do develop a nervous system, let alone one that is complex enough to make them self aware.
Back to top Go down
Theslimy
Newcomer
Theslimy

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptySat May 12, 2012 7:51 pm

~sciocont wrote:
PTFace wrote:
Parasitic plants are a definite possibility, since it would allow those plants to transcend the regular game of automata. Sentient plants are a no-go. There's really no reason for them do develop a nervous system, let alone one that is complex enough to make them self aware.

It's impossible to have a sentient plant. illogical (if I spelled that right)
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptySat May 12, 2012 8:09 pm

Will it be possible to play a photosynthetic or chemo-synthetic organism?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptySat May 12, 2012 9:33 pm

PTFace wrote:
Will it be possible to play a photosynthetic or chemo-synthetic organism?
Of course, that's what this thread is about.
Back to top Go down
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptySat May 12, 2012 11:11 pm

well, like a dog with leaves as ears or something
Back to top Go down
Pezzalis
Regular
Pezzalis

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptySun May 13, 2012 12:09 am

PTFace wrote:

I'm not really sure where to begin on why you wouldn't get something like that.
I guess you could just say that photosynthetic organisms wouldn't require a digestive tract, and would show now signs of cephalization in their evolution so would never need to be symmetrical assuming they stay in one place. So it would be unlikely that a photosynthetic organism would resemble a dog.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptySun May 13, 2012 11:01 am

Even if you did have some sort of mixotrophic organism likre that, the photosynthetic parts would produce an essentially negligible amount of energy. You could make it in the OE, but it wouldn't evolve on its own.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptySun May 13, 2012 11:54 am

Pezzalis wrote:
PTFace wrote:

I guess you could just say that photosynthetic organisms wouldn't require a digestive tract, and would show now signs of cephalization in their evolution so would never need to be symmetrical assuming they stay in one place. So it would be unlikely that a photosynthetic organism would resemble a dog.
You are right, and Your statement is more realistic, but I think If the player wants to make it look like a dog that the player should have that choice, again Give the player choice.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptySun May 13, 2012 12:11 pm

MeowMan1 wrote:
Pezzalis wrote:
PTFace wrote:

You are right, and Your statement is more realistic, but I think If the player wants to make it look like a dog that the player should have that choice, again Give the player choice.

Toggle manual/auto evo. Choice. Then go crazy, but don't be surprised if you have to micromanage to keep your critter alive.

Mixtrophics will definitely be possible, even if they wouldn't happen on their own in-game. Keep in mind that (semi-) intelligent design by us is going to be more variable than a computer. (Just kidding about the semi-intelligent design, btw. I have faith in your brains - but also everybody's propensity to try and push the limits here, to hilarious results.)

Last edited by Mysterious_Calligrapher on Sun May 20, 2012 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 EmptyFri May 18, 2012 7:36 pm

What? what do You mean toggle manual? As far as I know, we don't have a manual for the game..yet. So what are You talking about?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plant Gameplay   Plant Gameplay - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Plant Gameplay
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next