Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
The start and spread of civilization. Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

The start and spread of civilization.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Reign Dance
Newcomer
Reign Dance

The start and spread of civilization. Empty
PostSubject: The start and spread of civilization.   The start and spread of civilization. EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 12:44 am

I read the wiki and a bunch of topics, but I haven't seen this particular thing talked about yet. I apologize if it has.

How will the dawn and spread of civilization be handled? Will one tribe form the first nation, then citizens branch off on their own to form other nations? Will multiple tribes across the continent(s) spring up on their own time? Is it possible for more than one creature to obtain sapience and then have a world containing different nations with different sapient creatures running them?
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: The start and spread of civilization.   The start and spread of civilization. EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Yeah, this should be discussed.

So, this is markedly dependent on what algorithms we can come up with, but my thoughts are as follows.

We should definitely try to have the player's nation, which would be a small tribe at first, spawn first, and then immediately spawn a number of other tribes in the surrounding area. If they are in a similar environment to the player's nation, they will spawn with a similar culture. The further away the nations spawn, and the more different the surrounding area, the more different the cultures can be. This will need to be tempered with the long term effects geography has on cultures, such as fostering unity and stagnation or competition and conflict.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: The start and spread of civilization.   The start and spread of civilization. EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 5:02 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
We should definitely try to have the player's nation, which would be a small tribe at first, spawn first, and then immediately spawn a number of other tribes in the surrounding area. If they are in a similar environment to the player's nation, they will spawn with a similar culture. The further away the nations spawn, and the more different the surrounding area, the more different the cultures can be. This will need to be tempered with the long term effects geography has on cultures, such as fostering unity and stagnation or competition and conflict.
We could have some sort of control through aware stage, that stops the NPC nations/tribes/family packs from advancing past the player. After the nation has gained a footing and is larger than a family group, then we can ease the restrictions back a bit and let them progress faster than (or in different areas to) the player.
Back to top Go down
Reign Dance
Newcomer
Reign Dance

PostSubject: Re: The start and spread of civilization.   The start and spread of civilization. EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 6:30 pm

Should we have different difficulty levels? I was thinking we could put the restriction on the AI in easy mode. On normal, we could allow the AI to advance past the player; but put penalties on the AI's research if they get too far past the player scientifically. On hard, no restrictions or penalties whatsoever. That's why it's "hard".
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: The start and spread of civilization.   The start and spread of civilization. EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 7:56 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
We could have some sort of control through aware stage, that stops the NPC nations/tribes/family packs from advancing past the player. After the nation has gained a footing and is larger than a family group, then we can ease the restrictions back a bit and let them progress faster than (or in different areas to) the player.
Sounds good. We could of course, turn this off if the player wants a challenge.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: The start and spread of civilization.   The start and spread of civilization. EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 8:49 am

~sciocont wrote:
QFT

And what about my cultural similarity idea?
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: The start and spread of civilization.   The start and spread of civilization. EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 4:42 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
QFT

That sounds rly good too. Perhaps a sort of "spill" algorithm from the players starting point would be helpful. Their "culture" can spread like a liquid across terrain, and the further away (and the thinner the liquid) the more different the culture. Of course this liquid is all figurative, and shouldn't be displayed on screen. But that's how i'd like to see the mechanic work.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: The start and spread of civilization.   The start and spread of civilization. EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 5:47 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
QFT

That sounds rly good too. Perhaps a sort of "spill" algorithm from the players starting point would be helpful. Their "culture" can spread like a liquid across terrain, and the further away (and the thinner the liquid) the more different the culture. Of course this liquid is all figurative, and shouldn't be displayed on screen. But that's how i'd like to see the mechanic work.
Exactly. Unfortunately, It'd need multiple algorithms. Culture cannot be summed into a code as simple as our pseudo-DNA.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: The start and spread of civilization.   The start and spread of civilization. EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 7:36 pm

Since a culture ingame is just a combination of values for many different variables, we could spill different variables in different patterns.
Back to top Go down
US_of_Alaska
Overall Team Co-Lead
US_of_Alaska

PostSubject: Re: The start and spread of civilization.   The start and spread of civilization. EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 2:51 am

~sciocont wrote:
Since a culture ingame is just a combination of values for many different variables, we could spill different variables in different patterns.
Sciocont comes in.

Lays down the logic.

Leaves.

Problem solved.
Back to top Go down
Tenebrarum
Society Team Lead
Tenebrarum

PostSubject: Re: The start and spread of civilization.   The start and spread of civilization. EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 4:15 pm

US_of_Alaska wrote:
Sciocont comes in.

Lays down the logic.

Leaves.

Problem solved.
Like a boss.

Which is good, cause he is one.

Anyway, I think I should make a thread on the severity to which Arbitrary Mechanics need to effect us.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: The start and spread of civilization.   The start and spread of civilization. EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:16 pm

Tenebrarum wrote:
US_of_Alaska wrote:
Sciocont comes in.

Lays down the logic.

Leaves.

Problem solved.
Like a boss.

Which is good, cause he is one.

Anyway, I think I should make a thread on the severity to which Arbitrary Mechanics need to effect us.
I Belgiuming love you guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The start and spread of civilization.   The start and spread of civilization. Empty

Back to top Go down

The start and spread of civilization.
Page 1 of 1