Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Organ Design - Page 13 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Organ Design

Go down 
+46
ThreeCubed
TheChubbyChihuahua
PortalFan1000
x11x35
Anagennesarcus
Immortal_Dragon
EnergyKnife
DesertBeagle
Seregon
Cobalt58
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
scorpion268
Xazo-Tak
Raptorstorm
WilliamstheJohn
spacetime_dinosaur
Tarpy
untrustedlife
NikolaAnicic007
Juodvarnis
Dilophoraptor
Daniferrito
Noone
NickTheNick
Calfeggs
ido66667
Xinomorph
Deathbite42
Brennus
Mixotroph
Orygandian2
zippybomb
Grep42
PTFace
Pezzalis
Hegataro
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Theusfilipe
MeowMan1
sumwun18
Kraeken
The Uteen
Holomanga
penumbra espinosa
lbrewer
~sciocont
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

Organ Design - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:19 am

WilliamstheJohn wrote:
Eh, nobody reponded so i wanted to ask: What do you think about my idea?

(Copy-pasted)
Solar Receptors
System: Digestive
Description: Very small receptors on skin of a animal, which consume heat and create food using fluids/minerals/both fluids and minerals (Would go very good with sharp proboscis)
Use: Simple food production 
Details: I was inspired for this with discovery that not only plants, but insects also can photosynthese. This part probaly wont be able to produce enough food for larger animals.
Very good idea and it's not super obvious that it could evolve.
I'm sorry for not responding earlier, I have been very busy.
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:25 am

Anagennesarcus wrote:
Would any exterior organs that replicate the function of windmills by essentially converting kinetic energy to chemical, be viable?
Yes, it wold be viable, but it would be a very unusual thing to evolve, Unless on a very very windy planet, maybe a gas giant?
I however don't think that a 'wind turbine organ' would create very much energy due to the size it would have to be a on a creature. I could be wrong though.. most wind turbines are huge.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:39 am

Well, solar plants are huge as well, and still all* the energy obtained from living beings comes from solar energy.

Potentially, all kinds of energy can be transformed into any other kind of energy. In practice, it is not as easy. The question would be if living beings could transform kinetic energy into (potential) chemical energy.

*Actually, most, as some very specific cells survive from other sources.
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:42 am

Good point Dani. Evolution has a way of making things very efficient.
So wind turbine organs may be a go then? I'll do some research to see if it could be possible for kinetic energy to be transformed into chemical energy.

edit:
Dani I had a class called Honors Bio, loved it, and I know that there are some very specific (and groups) of bacteria that do get energy in odd ways. One group even uses ammonia and other nitrogen compounds to make energy. I'm sorry if I didn't sound as open as I am.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 3:04 pm

Untrustedlife, I actually have an instance of a windy planet, on a documentary of if Earth had no Moon, the days would have been only about 8 hours long, and because of the rapid rotation there would have been extremely strong winds or something to that degree. I can't remember the details are a little fuzzy.

On a similar note to organic windmills, I guess sails would be viable too? As in an aquatic creature that floats in the ocean that uses its sails to move around, that would be kinda cool, I guess.

To simply voice an opinion, how would the windmill be attached, and if it is attached, what will keep it from breaking, if we're going to go into that?
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 8:38 am

Heres a idea:

Biolumiscent Sacks
System: ? (I couldnt remember any which would fit)
Description: A part attachable on animal body with cells containing luciferin, which combines with ATP, creating luciferyl adenylate and pyrophosphate. The luciferyl adenylate combines with oxygen to form oxyluciferin and adenosine monophosphate. Light is given off and the oxyluciferin and AMP are released from the enzyme's surface, creating small source of light.
Use: Lighting when is dark, so you see around you, charming the mate.
Details: Resource of light this make are prety small.
Back to top Go down
Tarpy
Strategy Team Lead
Tarpy

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 8:45 am

WilliamstheJohn wrote:
Heres a idea:

Biolumiscent Sacks
Description: A part attachable on animal body with cells containing luciferin, which combines with ATP, creating luciferyl adenylate and pyrophosphate. The luciferyl adenylate combines with oxygen to form oxyluciferin and adenosine monophosphate. Light is given off and the oxyluciferin and AMP are released from the enzyme's surface, creating small source of light.

I like that idea a lot. Good job on finding an organ that could make quite an effect on the game.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 6:16 am

Tarpy wrote:
WilliamstheJohn wrote:
Heres a idea:

Biolumiscent Sacks

I like that idea a lot. Good job on finding an organ that could make quite an effect on the game.

It would be pretty useful if you are a small animal, beacuse player could actualy see something during night.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 6:12 pm

I'm back, kids! Keep up the good work, I'll be making a start on classifying and hashing out the details of all this stuff. (Thanks for the Book Lungs especially, I couldn't for the life of me remember what they were called.)

On the topic of the possible windmill: can anyone find a way to do this that wouldn't involve a joint that had to rotate more than 360 degrees? (Protip: since muscles and tendons are connected to bones and joints, their range of motion is usually significantly below 360 degrees of rotation.) If you can find a way to wind power a creature without having an axle on it, I'll bite, despite the fact that I have no idea if a creature should be able to convert kinetic into chemical energy within their body.

Everybody else's stuff looks classifiable or can be absorbed into a current feature.

:cheers: 
Back to top Go down
Mixotroph
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 7:26 pm

The speculative evolution wiki has several pages that may be of interest to this. I'll post them here:

http://speculativeevolution.wikia.com/wiki/Offense_and_defense

http://speculativeevolution.wikia.com/wiki/Reproduction

http://speculativeevolution.wikia.com/wiki/Alternative_biochemistry

http://speculativeevolution.wikia.com/wiki/Eyes

http://speculativeevolution.wikia.com/wiki/Centaurism

http://speculativeevolution.wikia.com/wiki/Speculative_physiology

http://speculativeevolution.wikia.com/wiki/Speculative_biomechanics

http://speculativeevolution.wikia.com/wiki/Speculative_bioenergetics

http://speculativeevolution.wikia.com/wiki/Perception

http://speculativeevolution.wikia.com/wiki/Intelligence

Also, what does anyone think of these ideas:

ORGAN NAME: Backsacks (Based off an old idea from one of my old spec evo projects, might work)
System: Respiratory?
Description: A set of external sacks
Use: They can be used to produce sound, for communication or startling off foes.
Details: Also could possibly be used for breathing, but, is unlikely, probably too fragile.

ORGAN NAME: Airsacs
System: Nervous? Respiratory?
Description: A set of gas filled sacs.
Use: Could be used to lower the weight of an organism? Also could increase respiratory capacity.
Details:
Back to top Go down
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
Learner
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 7:27 pm

Well, I don't have much on the wind mill, but I might have something on a rotognathid mandibula, if you give me a bit to find the info.
Back to top Go down
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Xeno_Corporation/index/
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Well, to convert from kinetic to chemical energy you dont need to rotate anything. Thats just the way we humans do it with tecnology because an electric generator is the only way we know to generate electricity, and that is easier to do with rotation (because of electromagnetic stuff)

The easiest way for a creature would be something that moves in an alternating pattern (up and down repeatedly, for example). That would work best to collect energy from sea waves, as they alredy go up and down.

That would cause cells to contract and extend repeatedly. The only thing missing would be a way of turning that compression and extrusion into chemical energy anyhow.

Now that i think of it, there would be a fairly easy aplication of this. You could use the repeated compression and relaxation to pump blood around, saving energy from the hearth. That, however means the creature must stay on the ocean's surface, making it an easy target.

Another possible function would be compressing air. The creature stays on the oceans surface, using the waves to compress gaseous air into an internal cavity. Later, that air could be used for something else, like propulsion or something*. That would probably cause some flotability issues, however.

* Before anyone says it, no, it wont be able to use it to breath underwater using it as a tank reserve. The pressure needed to store any substantial ammount of air would be too much, and the creature's sac would explode before reaching that much pressure. Thats why R.L. air bottles are made from thick hard metals.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 3:16 am

Chemical waypoint sacks
System: Communication?
Description: A sack attachable to organisms body, containing chemicals which can be smelt by other members of your species.
Use: These chemichals can, when organism smells food, spit trough organisms mouth while organism is going to food. After that, it returns to its hive, and other members go together to that food, knowing where is it, directed by these chemicals.
Details: This wouldnt be very useful to non hive living organisms.
Back to top Go down
Daniferrito
Experienced
Daniferrito

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 7:51 am

That would be just hormones, and will be handled in a similar way as smell (probably the player will visualize them as floating clouds with different colours)
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Exactly what i was thinking about.
Back to top Go down
untrustedlife
Regular
untrustedlife

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 1:43 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
I'm back, kids! Keep up the good work, I'll be making a start on classifying and hashing out the details of all this stuff. (Thanks for the Book Lungs especially, I couldn't for the life of me remember what they were called.)

On the topic of the possible windmill: can anyone find a way to do this that wouldn't involve a joint that had to rotate more than 360 degrees? (Protip: since muscles and tendons are connected to bones and joints, their range of motion is usually significantly below 360 degrees of rotation.) If you can find a way to wind power a creature without having an axle on it, I'll bite, despite the fact that I have no idea if a creature should be able to convert kinetic into chemical energy within their body.

Everybody else's stuff looks classifiable or can be absorbed into a current feature.

I tried keeping it active while you are away, on the topic of windmills I have concluded that I don' think it's possible , (unless we abstract out the whole 360 degree and convert kinetic energy to chemical energy thing.) There might be a way of doing wind power just not windmill style.
Back to top Go down
WilliamstheJohn
Regular
WilliamstheJohn

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 7:20 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:

Hey Calli! Welcome back! Me and Untrustedlife were mostly ones who kept this thread alive. I made alot of organ concepts, like sharp proboscis or biolumiscent sacks. What do you think about them? :D 
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 5:35 pm

I think it looks pretty good, guys. I'm gonna keep packing these things in, and let you all know when I have questions or want to put up a new google doc with the approved organs list.
Back to top Go down
x11x35

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi, not sure if anyone has suggested these yet, or if you're still looking for ideas at this point; (there was way too much to sift through) but I have a few.

ORGAN NAME: Single Chambered Heart
System: Circulatory
Description: About as simple as a heart gets, only used in organisms with an open circulatory system.
Use: Pumps plasma throughout the organisms body, allowing circulation of oxygen, nutrients, and waste.
Details: Common in invertebrates, not nearly as efficient at circulating plasma as a closed circulatory system as there's not really any way to direct where the plasma actually goes. As a result the animal isn't likely to have the sort of stamina, or ability to support a larger body that one with a closed circulatory system might have.

ORGAN NAME: Two Chambered Heart
Description: A simple heart consisting of a single atrium and ventricle. Allows for the circulation of plasma in simple closed circulatory systems.
Use: Pumps plasma throughout the organisms body, allowing circulation of oxygen, nutrients, and waste.
Details: Typically found in fish and animals with similarly simple circulatory systems, this is where the leap is made to a closed circulatory system. This allows the body to more easily support prolonged activity and increases the efficiency of gas/nutrient/waste transport.

ORGAN NAME: Three Chambered Heart
Description: A heart consisting of two atria and a ventricle, the advance over the two chambered heart here is that it allows for greater control over how blood is circulated.
Use: Pumps plasma throughout the organism's body, allowing circulation of oxygen, nutrients, and waste.
Details: Common in diving animals such turtles, it allows the animal to maintain prolonged activity without breathing by shunting blood away from the lungs.

ORGAN NAME: Four Chambered Heart
Description: A heart consisting of two atria and two ventricles, which makes it possible to completely separate oxygenated and deoxygenated blood, which makes prolonged activity considerably easier.
Use: Pumps plasma throughout the organism's body, allowing circulation of oxygen, nutrients, and waste.
Details: Found in birds and mammals as well as many other highly active animals.
Back to top Go down
NikolaAnicic007
Newcomer

PostSubject: Some Organs    Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 2:38 pm

ORGAN NAME: Open Stomach
System:Digestive
Description:This is the most vurnerable as a stomach can get...This relies on the fact that you have a armored inside and a toxic or VERY wet surrounding...
Use:Takes materials from the atmosphere and uses them for digestive purposes...For example acid or water...(water disolves things very efficiantly)
Details:Common in creatures who live on planets with a more acidic atmosphere and an armored interior and exterior...

ORGAN NAME:Level 1 Closed Stomach
Description:This is the stomach that jellyfish have...Not so efficient hah?
Use:Uses a little acid to digest the creature you have swallowed...
Details:This is most commonly found in invertebrates and small vertebrates...

ORGAN NAME:Level 2 Closed Stomach
Description:This is a stomach that most vertebrates have...have a nice metabolism and you should be ok...
Use:Uses acid to digest the creature you munched up...
Details:This is most commonly found in larger animals...

WILL CONTINUE LATER
Back to top Go down
NikolaAnicic007
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 5:59 am

ORGAN NAME:  Muscle Stomach
System: Digestive
Description: This is a stomach choice for the most aggressive creatures that have no teeth because it chews the food itselfe...
Use:  Digests and Chews food for creatures that have no teeth (Example:Birds)
Details: Commonly found in birds and other creatures with no teeth...

ORGAN NAME: Ganglia
System: Cortexial
Description: The most simple brain...
Use: Storage and procession of information
Details: Commonly found in invertebrates like worms and slugs...(Can Have More Than One)

ORGAN NAME: Single Cortex Brain
Description: A brain for creatures who want to beat slugs in inteligence...
Use: Greater storage and procession of information
Details: Commonly found in lesser vertebrates and higher invertebrates

ORGAN NAME: Dual Cortex Brain
Description: A brain for creatures who want to out-brain a squid
Use: Superior storage and procession of information
Details Commonly found in higher vertebrates like lizards,birds and mammals (including humans)

ORGAN NAME: Triple Cortex Brain
Description: A brain for creatures who want to have photographic memory...
Use: Greatest storage and procession of information
Details: Commonly found in aliens

ORGAN NAME: Quadruple Cortex Brain
Description: A brain for creatures who want to imagine infinity
Use: Uber procession and storage of information
Details: It has 4 parts...what more can I say...

More Later when I get some more ideas...Loading...
Back to top Go down
PortalFan1000
Learner
PortalFan1000

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 10:10 am

I have a idea on a new organ. I'm not sure if someone has brought it up already, so here goes: air sacs. I'm not sure what system it would belong to, but basically it makes creatures lighter. Birds actually have them. So it would be for flight or potentially water creatures who don't breathe water, like a whale. Not sure if whales have them. Also, another organ. Actually more of a organ structure. You can have your brain spread out through your body. Roaches have this, so I know this is possible.
Back to top Go down
NikolaAnicic007
Newcomer

PostSubject: Portal Fan   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 10:13 am

PortalFan1000,
The Ganglia is the SPREAD OUT BRAIN because you can have more than one...snails have more than one too...
Whales do not have air sacs and you can't use them in water,fish do how ever have another organ (The Fish Bubble I think...)
Birds do use them and it's a Flight System that you have to have besides hallow bones and wings to fly...

Does this awnser you?
Back to top Go down
TheChubbyChihuahua
Newcomer
TheChubbyChihuahua

PostSubject: Venom Glands   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 10:36 am

Organ Name: Venom Gland
System: Digestive?
Description: Modified salivary glands that produce toxin to incapacitate or kill prey or defend against predators
Use: /\
Details: Located near mouth; for more shape, etc. info look at pictures of snake venom glands

Note: Fossils have been found of prehistoric, mammalian carnivores that used venom.
Back to top Go down
Immortal_Dragon
Regular
Immortal_Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 12:29 pm

@PortalFan1000

I think there is already something like the air sacs, or it has already been discussed.

@NikolaAncic007

I believe the term you are looking for is Swim Bladder, and you can create those with the Bladder part.

@TheChubbychihuahua

There is already a generic Gland, and you can connect these to the teeth or other orifices to use them, also being able to tweak what they make and how much/how often they make it.

Hope I have made things clearer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Organ Design
Page 13 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next