Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Organ Design - Page 3 Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Organ Design

Go down 
+46
ThreeCubed
TheChubbyChihuahua
PortalFan1000
x11x35
Anagennesarcus
Immortal_Dragon
EnergyKnife
DesertBeagle
Seregon
Cobalt58
Aiosian_Doctor_Xenox
scorpion268
Xazo-Tak
Raptorstorm
WilliamstheJohn
spacetime_dinosaur
Tarpy
untrustedlife
NikolaAnicic007
Juodvarnis
Dilophoraptor
Daniferrito
Noone
NickTheNick
Calfeggs
ido66667
Xinomorph
Deathbite42
Brennus
Mixotroph
Orygandian2
zippybomb
Grep42
PTFace
Pezzalis
Hegataro
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Theusfilipe
MeowMan1
sumwun18
Kraeken
The Uteen
Holomanga
penumbra espinosa
lbrewer
~sciocont
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Organ Design - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 8:40 pm

MeowMan1 wrote:
Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
History Lesson.

We mentioned reproduction.
People got bent out of shape.
It got out of hand.
ADMIN crunched them like bugs.

/History Lesson.
WHO IS ADMIN??? SHOW YOURSELF DUDE is HE GOD! OMGlob!
Dude, you have been warned about the double posting and spazzing. Stop.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 9:01 pm

Wanted to add that this thread is now open for detail part suggestions as well. I'll probably start off with osteoderms, quills, skin tags, the fun stuff, but we'll also have to put in a progression of different base skin types.
Back to top Go down
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
Theusfilipe

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 10:59 pm

I'm glad you liked scio! I will have to think about some more organs.
Eel's muscle can produce some sort of energy ( Calli must know). Vermifoid use their mucles to dig. So what about different kinds of muscles that let's you make different things. I have only theses two exemples.

"Crystalizator": It would be a excrete system. (I don't know how it could work in real life) So let's say your creature eats something that produces a very toxic waste or can't excrete properly. So crystals can be made of impurities. So this organ would be like the spore holder but it would transform excretes and force that reaction with carbon or syllicate. The only exemple that can make something "like" that would be the clam and the pearls. I don't think it is possible but it would be pretty cool. Biology gratification needed.

Thermic Sac: So let's say your creature can't mantain it's temperature very well. So this organism lives in a vary cold place but there are some hot springs placed around the globe. Most of the life is based on theses hot springs. Some creatures can go to one hot zone to another, but if they go very far they die. With the Termic Sac the creature can hold the hot water or gas and place it in a sac with isothermic material. When it reaches a certain temperature it would liberate the water or gas into the bloodstream(water/liquid) or "mini"-lungs(gas). This Sac would let the creature walk/fly/crawl for more time in very cold temperatures.

Cascavel's Bell: It would scare some predadors or immobylize victims with fear. I think this is a muscle too.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Theusfilipe wrote:
I'm glad you liked scio! I will have to think about some more organs.
Eel's muscle can produce some sort of energy ( Calli must know). Vermifoid use their mucles to dig. So what about different kinds of muscles that let's you make different things. I have only theses two exemples.

"Crystalizator": It would be a excrete system. (I don't know how it could work in real life) So let's say your creature eats something that produces a very toxic waste or can't excrete properly. So crystals can be made of impurities. So this organ would be like the spore holder but it would transform excretes and force that reaction with carbon or syllicate. The only exemple that can make something "like" that would be the clam and the pearls. I don't think it is possible but it would be pretty cool. Biology gratification needed.

Thermic Sac: So let's say your creature can't mantain it's temperature very well. So this organism lives in a vary cold place but there are some hot springs placed around the globe. Most of the life is based on theses hot springs. Some creatures can go to one hot zone to another, but if they go very far they die. With the Termic Sac the creature can hold the hot water or gas and place it in a sac with isothermic material. When it reaches a certain temperature it would liberate the water or gas into the bloodstream(water/liquid) or "mini"-lungs(gas). This Sac would let the creature walk/fly/crawl for more time in very cold temperatures.

Cascavel's Bell: It would scare some predadors or immobylize victims with fear. I think this is a muscle too.

Sachs organ and Hunter's organ (I'm assuming that you're talking about electric eels) are actually a line of electrolytes, not muscles, but we definitely need them. There's three types of muscle: Smooth (involuntary, like your stomach), Skeletal muscle (what I'm using to type) and cardiac muscle (hopefully all of yours are working properly.) However, these muscles can be used in a variety of ways, and we're going to need to apply some physics. [ I believe some of this is a recap from either auto evo or OE, but it doesn't hurt to have this up here.]

Second option has me thinking of gallstones for some reason. I like it.

The thermic sac is cool, but I'm pretty sure you'd either become warm blooded or stay in appropriately warm areas. Or evolve some heat-retaining covering...

Cascavel's bell... I can't find anything on it. Except for a dictionary entry saying that a Cascavel is a small, spherical bell... More information, please?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 11:23 pm

Electrocytes are made up of modified muscle tissue. They should definitely be included. The hot water sac is just a bladder associated with a certain environment and behavior.
Back to top Go down
Hegataro
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptySat May 12, 2012 2:56 am

I had an idea, sort of. Not a new organ, but an addition to an existing one.
So, basically, it would be an addition to the stomach. It would concern the stomach acids.
It would be a set muscles that would work like a pump, letting the creature to pump out the stomach acids and spit them out of their mouth. It may not be a powerful attack, but, that would depend on the strenght of the stomach acids. But, before the stomach acids are strong enough, the creature could make their prey/predator blind by spitting the acids into their eyes. EYES.

That's all from me, pretty much.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptySat May 12, 2012 8:35 am

Not a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
Theusfilipe

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptySat May 12, 2012 10:59 am

So cascavel is rattlesnake in english. I didn't knew that...
The termic sac would be usefull for reptiles and amphibians. Water for amphibians for hydratation reasons and gas for reptiles. Maybe the crature have to go to another hot spring for reproduce or walk on the desert (with cold water instead of hot)
Back to top Go down
Hegataro
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptySat May 12, 2012 11:03 am

I also got an idea that, if a creature ate a lot of quartz/flint/silica (you know, that stone that does sparkles), it could evolve their teeth being covered with it from birth/getting it a while after birth, which would make their teeth create sparkles.
The creature could also evolve some sort of a baldder that would either produce some sort of a flammable liquid or gas. They could then spit/breathe out the liquid/gas, therefore being able to sort-of breathe flame. Or, covering the enemy creature with the liquid and then grinding their teeth near the said enemy creature to set them a-flame.
This is sort of a conbination of science (flammable gasses/liquids) and fantasy (breathing fire, like a dragon). But, technically, it would be possible in the real world.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptySat May 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Theusfilipe wrote:
The termic sac would be usefull for reptiles and amphibians. Water for amphibians for hydratation reasons and gas for reptiles. Maybe the crature have to go to another hot spring for reproduce or walk on the desert (with cold water instead of hot)

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. And if we're doing gas and swim bladders I suppose the thermic bladder wouldn't be too different.
A rattlesnake's rattle is made of a bunch of hollow keratin bits and the muscle that vibrates them.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptySat May 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Theusfilipe wrote:

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. And if we're doing gas and swim bladders I suppose the thermic bladder wouldn't be too different.
A rattlesnake's rattle is made of a bunch of hollow keratin bits and the muscle that vibrates them.
Well, that's interesting. Can an organism survive without a bladder? Not that I am against bladders or anything, just a quick question is all.
Yes, the hotspring idea makes sense, except this: Wouldn't the water, it You used it for mating be a dangerous place to mate, considering that this water comes from underground and is EXTREMELY hot? I only capitalized extremely to emphasize, just in case You were wondering. That's all I got right now.
Back to top Go down
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
Theusfilipe

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptySat May 12, 2012 10:13 pm

Double posting is replying twice. You just quadruposted, I don't even think there is a name for that.

No they are not that hot. Actualy they are very confy, some are even tourist point and chinese monkeys lives around them. There is a hole "society" around those. I think each hot spring is a clan or something. i saw something about that when I was little I don't remember very well.
But is basically a jacuzzi. In a frozen planet, essential for life.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptySat May 12, 2012 10:20 pm

A bladder is by no means absolutely necessary to survival. A urinary bladder simply holds wastes until it's a good time to expel them.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptySun May 13, 2012 10:21 am

~sciocont wrote:
A bladder is by no means absolutely necessary to survival. A urinary bladder simply holds wastes until it's a good time to expel them.
Oh. well thankYou for that imformation, I would look this stuff up, but My computer is messed up and won't load google, so I can't really findout about this stuff, and plus the library isn't efective with Me, because I learn well visually.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptySun May 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Theusfilipe wrote:
Double posting is replying twice. You just quadruposted, I don't even think there is a name for that.

No they are not that hot. Actualy they are very confy, some are even tourist point and chinese monkeys lives around them. There is a hole "society" around those. I think each hot spring is a clan or something. i saw something about that when I was little I don't remember very well.
But is basically a jacuzzi. In a frozen planet, essential for life.

Some hot springs are hotter than others. You do not want to be swimming in th Yellowstone ones, but they're heated by the caldera of what used to be the world's biggest volcano (still might be, depending on how you count,) and hot springs in other areas are cooler either because they mixed with unheated groundwater or because the hot water has traveled further from the heat source and cooled. (Alternatively, the heat-source might be cooler or further away.) Anyhow, there's jacuzzi temperature ones and ones that can flash boil you. Know which is which before swimming.

Are you thinking of the discovery channel's stuff on monkeys that hang out at the hot springs? (In Tibet somewhere, I think, I saw it as a kid too... hey scio, ring any bells?) Anyhow, on the subject of hot springs, they're definitely a good thing to be on the list of resources and springs in general are good candidates for having cultural significance assigned to them - more about that in a more appropriate thread.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptySun May 13, 2012 3:06 pm

They're Japanese Macaques. They keep close to hot springs in winter in order to survive the cold temperatures, and move away from them in summer to feeding areas.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptySun May 13, 2012 7:02 pm

Huzzah for the power of wikipedia. If I remember correctly the islands of Japan are all ancient volcanoes where the hot spot has moved and created an island chain, so it makes sense that those springs would be of the non-flash-boil variety.
Back to top Go down
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
Theusfilipe

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 3:09 pm

"Coolers": Some creatures will have high heat. To help with the temperature a creature could evolve and have big blood veins in flat skin, like the ears of the elephant.
Maybe these coolers could be evolved into a tube that concentrate the heat, spell water that would turn into steam.Hum... that would require the creature to have 100°C . Maybe a sac that contain water with various veins and with time the creature would open theses sac that would blow steam off. Could be used for defence, to sink temperature and melt ice. (After a while I think it looks like a fart, please don't look at me wrong)
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 3:13 pm

Hmmm... I'm turning it over in my mind to see if it's doable.
The giant surface area veins thing for cooling is check, not certain how steam would cool you off, sounds kind of like fancy sweat to me. Little known note: not all mammals sweat. The Hippo does not, and must lie in mud to cool herself off.
Back to top Go down
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
Theusfilipe

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Now that I think of it... it is a fancy sweat, pretty fancy though. I think it would work as a symbiote organ, warm the air around you would "call" many creatures in a frozen planet, that added with spore holder would create "islands" creatures.

I am thinking in a giant blob like creature 3 meters tall with a little head in the edge. The Island Creature would eat small plants that surrond it, it would mostly stand still, it's sweat would melt the ice, it's spore holders would carry the plant around that would leave the same plants on the land, the creature would eat it as would small vegetarians that acompany the band of Island Creatures. If a predador arrives it would not eat the Islands, instead it would eat the small vegetarians.
The Island would be unharmed because it "produces" what the predador wants. If the planet develops a tribe the islands would be essential for food, warmth and travel. It would be a luxous market and a nice gift to give to other tribes.
The Island Creature would be so essential to that planet that every creature that evolves symbioticly to it would thrive. Maybe they would help them even! A world like this will be the first I will do on sandbox mode.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Never mind! boy do I feel stupid...This is the reply button, anyways enough of My story. I'm finding some pictures for this subject right now incase anyone was wondering.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&safe=active&sa=X&rlz=1W1ADFA_enUS451&biw=1920&bih=901&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=-ZHISms6olD5sM:&imgrefurl=http://www.windows2universe.org/earth/extreme_environments_acid_pressure_etc.html&docid=uW-4wY3udgn7SM&imgurl=http://www.windows2universe.org/earth/interior/images/grand_prismatic_spring_yellowstone_sm.jpg&w=288&h=216&ei=ueOyT8fPOOXF6QH2u9GJAQ&zoom=1
copy and paste that into Your search bar, for some reason I cannot paste the pictures itself...Looks like a pretty good picture to look t in the future, when we are actually making that part of the game.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 10:19 pm

MeowMan1 wrote:
Never mind! boy do I feel stupid...This is the reply button, anyways enough of My story. I'm finding some pictures for this subject right now incase anyone was wondering.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&safe=active&sa=X&rlz=1W1ADFA_enUS451&biw=1920&bih=901&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=-ZHISms6olD5sM:&imgrefurl=http://www.windows2universe.org/earth/extreme_environments_acid_pressure_etc.html&docid=uW-4wY3udgn7SM&imgurl=http://www.windows2universe.org/earth/interior/images/grand_prismatic_spring_yellowstone_sm.jpg&w=288&h=216&ei=ueOyT8fPOOXF6QH2u9GJAQ&zoom=1
copy and paste that into Your search bar, for some reason I cannot paste the pictures itself...Looks like a pretty good picture to look t in the future, when we are actually making that part of the game.

Pretty picture, but what does this post have to do with organ design? (Also, please remove the preceeding post about trying to find the reply button. We cannot physically point it out to you from where we are sitting.)

Hmm... Theus, sounds like a good symbiosis thing. There's probably some good material in seperate organs for symbionts, such as the slime-producer of the clownfish (to protect it from it's anemone) and the syrup-glands of trees with guardian ants.
Back to top Go down
Holomanga
Newcomer

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 1:08 pm

How about some kind of antifreeze manufacturing organ? It would manufacture antifreeze so it could live in frozen biomes.

Also, some kind of motor organ for biological paddlewheels, and an external organ could be a sail.

I'm totally making a boat creature when thrive comes out
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Holomanga wrote:
How about some kind of antifreeze manufacturing organ? It would manufacture antifreeze so it could live in frozen biomes.

Also, some kind of motor organ for biological paddlewheels, and an external organ could be a sail.

I don't think any form of boat creature could ever exist, but I'm no astrobiologist. As for frozen biomes, I think a furry warm blooded creature is all
you would need to survive.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 4:53 pm

Holomanga wrote:

First off, who stretched out this page?

Antifreeze can be a product of glands, which would hook up to the circulatory system to keep blood from freezing below 0 degrees- there are a few animals that have natural antifreeze in their fluids.

Not sure about paddlewheels, those you'd have to find some way to make yourself. Sails would be handled in skeletal and skinning. However, water or ink jets, such as those possessed by cephalopods, need to be in the game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Organ Design - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Organ Design
Page 3 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next