Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 Organ Design

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1034
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2010-11-26
Age : 25
Location : Earth, the solar system, the milky way...

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Wed May 16, 2012 8:49 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Holomanga wrote:
How about some kind of antifreeze manufacturing organ? It would manufacture antifreeze so it could live in frozen biomes.

Also, some kind of motor organ for biological paddlewheels, and an external organ could be a sail.

I'm totally making a boat creature when thrive comes out
First off, who stretched out this page?

Antifreeze can be a product of glands, which would hook up to the circulatory system to keep blood from freezing below 0 degrees- there are a few animals that have natural antifreeze in their fluids.

Not sure about paddlewheels, those you'd have to find some way to make yourself. Sails would be handled in skeletal and skinning. However, water or ink jets, such as those possessed by cephalopods, need to be in the game.
I don't know, it has to be some sort of picture or other link...
Antifreeze lemmings are approved. I don't know if you could have a paddlewheel exactly (rotation past 360 degrees gets complicated by the fact that muscles need to attatch somewhere...) but it's definitely possible to swim by using a tail in a side-to-side, up and down, or propeller-like motion.

_________________
Environmental, Chemical and Linguistic Specialist.
If you speak or write any language that isn't English, we want you.
Now accepting biome donations here.

Please note that there is no currently scheduled time for panic.

Not actually ascended to another plane of existence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kraeken
Newcomer
avatar

Posts : 18
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Thu May 17, 2012 12:59 am

This is a bit odd but relates to the caste system; ability to control producing of various castes from specialized reproductive sites? For example one that could be used to produce a small sterile caste that works to benefit the parent. Like a queen ant uses her colony as an extension of herself, to greater or lesser degrees.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Thu May 17, 2012 7:47 am

Kraeken wrote:
This is a bit odd but relates to the caste system; ability to control producing of various castes from specialized reproductive sites? For example one that could be used to produce a small sterile caste that works to benefit the parent. Like a queen ant uses her colony as an extension of herself, to greater or lesser degrees.
Segregated caste reproduction is a brilliant idea.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MeowMan1
Regular
avatar

Posts : 255
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2012-03-04
Age : 18
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Thu May 17, 2012 5:46 pm


Pretty picture, but what does this post have to do with organ design? (Also, please remove the preceeding post about trying to find the reply button. We cannot physically point it out to you from where we are sitting.)

Hmm... Theus, sounds like a good symbiosis thing. There's probably some good material in seperate organs for symbionts, such as the slime-producer of the clownfish (to protect it from it's anemone) and the syrup-glands of trees with guardian ants. [/quote]
Well, cuz We're alltalking about how a creature would handle a hot spring, and this might give some new ideas because, this is a hotspring.....I find it somewhat relevant, otherwise I would not have posted,but I'll let You decide its relevance, afterall I am just a newcomer. Well, I shall wait for Your response, but in the mean time I'll be seeing primordial soup pictiures for the cellular evolution draft. ThankYou.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1034
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2010-11-26
Age : 25
Location : Earth, the solar system, the milky way...

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Fri May 18, 2012 10:40 am

MeowMan1 wrote:

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Pretty picture, but what does this post have to do with organ design? (Also, please remove the preceeding post about trying to find the reply button. We cannot physically point it out to you from where we are sitting.)

Hmm... Theus, sounds like a good symbiosis thing. There's probably some good material in seperate organs for symbionts, such as the slime-producer of the clownfish (to protect it from it's anemone) and the syrup-glands of trees with guardian ants.
Well, cuz We're alltalking about how a creature would handle a hot spring, and this might give some new ideas because, this is a hotspring.....I find it somewhat relevant, otherwise I would not have posted,but I'll let You decide its relevance, afterall I am just a newcomer. Well, I shall wait for Your response, but in the mean time I'll be seeing primordial soup pictiures for the cellular evolution draft. ThankYou.
Ah, okay. Next time just mention the connection and you'll be good.

@ Kraeken: Yes. (I remember it being mentioned before but I don't think we did anything with or to it.)

_________________
Environmental, Chemical and Linguistic Specialist.
If you speak or write any language that isn't English, we want you.
Now accepting biome donations here.

Please note that there is no currently scheduled time for panic.

Not actually ascended to another plane of existence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MeowMan1
Regular
avatar

Posts : 255
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2012-03-04
Age : 18
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Fri May 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Sorry I'll make it shorter next ime, lol that's a LOT of writing up there...!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kraeken
Newcomer
avatar

Posts : 18
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Wed May 23, 2012 12:14 am

Complex feeder mechanism? Connected to digestive tract or not that allows feeding of same species/other species/client or domesticated species? Nipples seem pointless, but not quite, maybe somewhere in the universe they will be vital.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Wed May 23, 2012 4:59 pm

Kraeken wrote:
Complex feeder mechanism? Connected to digestive tract or not that allows feeding of same species/other species/client or domesticated species? Nipples seem pointless, but not quite, maybe somewhere in the universe they will be vital.
Could you explain this in greater detail?

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kraeken
Newcomer
avatar

Posts : 18
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Wed May 23, 2012 10:56 pm

What I'm getting at is a sort of honeydew bug type organ which synthesizes food for other animals in a symbiotic relationship, though more versatile, maybe used to appease predators or help the young, sick, or wounded of their own. An organ that specifically delivers nutrients and or energy to others. Castes within one species could be super specialized for one type of food and feed that food's unique nutrients to differently specialized castes and vice versa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pezzalis
Regular
avatar

Posts : 260
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Thu May 24, 2012 7:07 am

Not really sure if this thread is appropriate, but have we ever delved into Kinesynthetic organisms (I probably made that word up)? As in organisms which could get their energy from movement? Could be a neat concept for constantly windy planets (probably not gas giants) or very turbulent oceans. Such organisms would be sesslie, most likely rooted in someway.

Due to the harsh conditions of these planets it'd be unlikely to have any primary consumers of these organisms.

It's just a suggestion, I'd imagine these organisms would be visual fillers rather than playable organisms, mainly to make lifeless planets full of discovery now and then. Such organisms would have huge sail-like structures to be buffeted by the wind, like those rooster ornaments on barn roofs, or perhaps a wind sock like structure. And they'd easily be able to distribute themselves using spore-like wind dispersal.
Again I'd say these would not be playable, it just wouldn't be an interesting thing to stumble upon on what you thought was a harsh lifeless, dense-atmosphere planet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1034
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2010-11-26
Age : 25
Location : Earth, the solar system, the milky way...

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Thu May 24, 2012 10:26 am

It's cool, but I'm not sufficiently rooted in physics to know if it's even possible. Probably not, because of the crazy chemistry of cells, which are LAWK (Life as we know it) but I'm not the team's biochemist.

_________________
Environmental, Chemical and Linguistic Specialist.
If you speak or write any language that isn't English, we want you.
Now accepting biome donations here.

Please note that there is no currently scheduled time for panic.

Not actually ascended to another plane of existence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Thu May 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Kraeken wrote:
What I'm getting at is a sort of honeydew bug type organ which synthesizes food for other animals in a symbiotic relationship, though more versatile, maybe used to appease predators or help the young, sick, or wounded of their own. An organ that specifically delivers nutrients and or energy to others. Castes within one species could be super specialized for one type of food and feed that food's unique nutrients to differently specialized castes and vice versa
Ok, this would just be a product coming from a gland.
@pezz- that's a really cool idea, but I don't think we can back it up enough to include it.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pezzalis
Regular
avatar

Posts : 260
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2010-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Thu May 24, 2012 3:27 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Kraeken wrote:
What I'm getting at is a sort of honeydew bug type organ which synthesizes food for other animals in a symbiotic relationship, though more versatile, maybe used to appease predators or help the young, sick, or wounded of their own. An organ that specifically delivers nutrients and or energy to others. Castes within one species could be super specialized for one type of food and feed that food's unique nutrients to differently specialized castes and vice versa
Ok, this would just be a product coming from a gland.
@pezz- that's a really cool idea, but I don't think we can back it up enough to include it.

Yeah I was just thinking if there was a system that developed similar to things such as kinetic watches or batteries but understandably these are electronic, not biological.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MeowMan1
Regular
avatar

Posts : 255
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2012-03-04
Age : 18
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Fri May 25, 2012 8:58 pm

Would be pretty cool though...
I just got an idea: What if one species rode on another huge species, in return for food, or etc.?
btw would it be possible to see through stuff with certain organs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 1034
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2010-11-26
Age : 25
Location : Earth, the solar system, the milky way...

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Fri May 25, 2012 10:59 pm

Creatures can be transparent, but x-ray vision is a no.

Yeah. Symbionts are go. Those elephant-riding bug-picking birds and dentistfish being obvious examples. Oh, and remoras.

_________________
Environmental, Chemical and Linguistic Specialist.
If you speak or write any language that isn't English, we want you.
Now accepting biome donations here.

Please note that there is no currently scheduled time for panic.

Not actually ascended to another plane of existence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
avatar

Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Sat May 26, 2012 10:28 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Creatures can be transparent, but x-ray vision is a no.

Yeah. Symbionts are go. Those elephant-riding bug-picking birds and dentistfish being obvious examples. Oh, and remoras.
Case in point: The Jewel Caterpillar

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MeowMan1
Regular
avatar

Posts : 255
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2012-03-04
Age : 18
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Sat May 26, 2012 1:19 pm

WHOA. Ok, so transparent creatures are a go?
What about armor like on a triceratops?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PTFace
Learner
avatar

Posts : 139
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2012-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Sat May 26, 2012 6:54 pm

I think an interesting way to go from cellular to multicellular would be am organelle which allowed you to conjugate with other cells and eventually just group together with cells of your species.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
avatar

Posts : 48
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2012-05-02
Location : Brazil, Rio

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Sat May 26, 2012 8:39 pm

Armor, like bone plates? If they are put outside they work like a armor. Exoesqueleton is in the editor already, I think.

Maybe you could merge the crystalizer (that "yet-to-be-scientific-proved" idea I had) with the bone structure (exo or endo) to make even harder bones and "armor".

Sound Membrane: A membrane that if conected to the lung produce sound, if conected to the nervous system works like the ear.

Air Jet: A fish could have a sac like the ones I talked about and use it to "sprint". It is a super evolved swim bladder. The bladder supports more preassure when it reaches a certain point a little tube opens and the air pours outiside the fish's body. The movement would look like a jellyfish. Speaking of wich...

Tentacles: I don't know if they are covered but I know a being can have specilized ones. Reproduction tentacles, poison tentacles, grab tentacles. How are they going to be controled? A use button to each type of tentacle? Drag them around with the mouse? Wich leads me to...

Tails: They can make more than balance, bouce around and look pretty. They can grab things, how would that work? Like the tentacle? Climbing trees or mountains could be much easier with a third-arm tail. Leaving me with... (don't care if you hate it I am enjoing it)

"Jump" Muscle: Not exactly another organ, but if the leg have a certain very strong muscle it would make sense to creature have vary long jumps or stability. A kangaroo or a montain goat are exemples. That is it... for the forum's sake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MeowMan1
Regular
avatar

Posts : 255
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2012-03-04
Age : 18
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Sat May 26, 2012 9:20 pm

just a question and Yes I meant like a bone. Question: could we put hands or feet onto the tail (s) or end of the skeleton like the willosaur from the Spore beta, now I know this isn't Spore but You've got to admit, it started out pretty cool and I think it would be really cool if we could..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theusfilipe
Newcomer
avatar

Posts : 48
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2012-05-02
Location : Brazil, Rio

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Sat May 26, 2012 9:39 pm

Well, when i readed the editor's thread I got that you can add bones and "program" it as a hand, something like that Scio can explain better. This would work even better with the example in the tail question I made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PTFace
Learner
avatar

Posts : 139
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2012-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Sat May 26, 2012 9:58 pm

MeowMan1 wrote:
just a question and Yes I meant like a bone. Question: could we put hands or feet onto the tail (s) or end of the skeleton like the willosaur from the Spore beta, now I know this isn't Spore but You've got to admit, it started out pretty cool and I think it would be really cool if we could..
I like the idea of having a hand on the tail

As long as the environment demands extra grasping, like in a jungle world where your monkey-like species as a tribe learned to hold onto the tree and shoot the bow from a branch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
penumbra espinosa
Learner


Posts : 139
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2010-09-10
Age : 25

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Sat May 26, 2012 11:32 pm

PTFace wrote:
MeowMan1 wrote:
just a question and Yes I meant like a bone. Question: could we put hands or feet onto the tail (s) or end of the skeleton like the willosaur from the Spore beta, now I know this isn't Spore but You've got to admit, it started out pretty cool and I think it would be really cool if we could..
I like the idea of having a hand on the tail

As long as the environment demands extra grasping, like in a jungle world where your monkey-like species as a tribe learned to hold onto the tree and shoot the bow from a branch

i dont see why not?, i bet someone will like to do a realistic Squibbon.

i havent read the whole thread, is someone has suggested Air Sacks?, for floating creatures on gas giants or just for buoyancy.

also mineral optical structures, "Silicate Eyes" like those of Trilobytes. Heat Detection Organs or other ways of flying?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MeowMan1
Regular
avatar

Posts : 255
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2012-03-04
Age : 18
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Sun May 27, 2012 9:50 am

OOh very interesting, I like the air sac idea the most though.
Heat sensors are ofcourse already here on Earth, some snake I think see with heat sensors, so ofcourse we definitely SHOULD include that. We'll have to see whether air sacs are physically possible though, although I don't see how they wouldn't be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hegataro
Newcomer


Posts : 16
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-05-07
Age : 20
Location : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   Sun May 27, 2012 12:31 pm

MeowMan1 wrote:
OOh very interesting, I like the air sac idea the most though.
Heat sensors are ofcourse already here on Earth, some snake I think see with heat sensors, so ofcourse we definitely SHOULD include that. We'll have to see whether air sacs are physically possible though, although I don't see how they wouldn't be.

Well, birds have air sacs attacked to thei lungs, so they are lighter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Organ Design   

Back to top Go down
 
Organ Design
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Design :: Editors :: Organism-
Jump to: