Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Evolution using a trait-based system Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Evolution using a trait-based system

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
PTFace
Learner
PTFace

Evolution using a trait-based system Empty
PostSubject: Evolution using a trait-based system   Evolution using a trait-based system EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 11:59 pm

I recently had the idea of implementing the idea of having your organism evolve via traits you gain as you play. I had this idea while playing a game by Paradox Interactive, called Crusader Kings 2.

Spoiler:

Above you see Vilfred I, duke of Livonia and Prince-Consort of Norway. The traits that Vilfred I has are, from right to left:
Envious, Proud, deceitful, brave, gregarious and falconer.

These traits build up the skills that Vilfred has, which are above the trait icons:
Scroll- Diplomacy
Swords- Military
Chest- Economy
Dagger- Espionage
Book- Research tech

Aside from a ballin' mustache, Vilfred is useless in terms of gameplay. His skills aren't exactly the greatest, and certain traits cancel each other out, such as deceitful and gregarious.
The final trait icon Vilfred has is his career trait, when a child comes of age, all his traits are weighed in, giving them careers such as Misguided Warriors, or in Wilfred's case, Drunken Wastrels. All these perks determine the type of ruler the character will be.

Now let's merge this with Thrive.

Let us assume that our microbe and multicellular creatures both evolved primarily by relying on consuming plant matter. This would give the creature the base trait "Herbivore", which would only determine the diet.
Now let us say out creature grows a bit larger as an aquatic organism. In the specific biome it lives in, members of our creature's species that are more competitive and aggressive survive more. This would give our organism the trait "Aggressive-Orientation.

So far, we have a herbivore fish that is aggressive.

Now let's assume of angry little leaf-eating sardine crawl onto land, where it finds out that working in living in herds gives better chances at survival. This would now give our beast the perk "Pack Mentality".

So now we have aggressive herbivores roaming in packs. Let's assume that both traits "Aggressive-Orientation" and "Pack-Mentality" give bonus to combat skills. Now when travelling as pack the creatures do bonus damage.

Fast forward to the society stage. Our animals have taken the path of war, destroying any other tribes that have risen up. This would give our species the trait "Warrior", again giving the bonus to military.

Now at the nation portion, our creatures find out that the world is harder to conquer alone. They decide to form military alliances, along with trade routes. This would give them a trait along the lines of "Diplomat". Because Diplomat is a peaceful trait, it would reduce the effects of the combat skill previously given.

Now we move towards the beginning of space stage, where our society has conquered the world peacefully. The final trait they would gain would be something like "Peaceful", which would cancel out the perk "Aggressive", due to the conflicting nature.

The career trait would be determined through previous traits. However, I personally think a career trait would be unnecessary.

The perks I listed above were mainly personality based, however, ,physical attributes would play a part. Let's say we never crawled out of the water and instead swam into the open ocean. Now in order to survive we would need to gain the trait "Swimmer", allowing us to move faster in water. A good point to make is that as you evolve, you would be able to get higher levels in certain traits, such as "Swimmer +1" or "Highly Aggressive" as you use those skills to your advantage.

I also believe that the perk system would allow us to fill in food webs efficiently, seeing as predators and herbivores would be assigned early game, with higher end predators coming in with better perks.

Now the part I think would be interesting. Certain perks would augment the appearance. Let's say out species managed to conquer the ocean and gain "Swimmer +3". The bodies of our species would be much sleeker, which fins and tails being built more towards movement instead of grasping. Faster land creatures would be able to gain sleeker bodies as well, and more aggressive and combative creatures would begin to grow claws/horns.

Thoughts? I know it seems a little complex, but it would a way to combat problems with auto-evo.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

PostSubject: Re: Evolution using a trait-based system   Evolution using a trait-based system EmptyTue May 01, 2012 10:34 am

The bonuses to combat, in my opinion, seem quite un-Thrive-like, seeing as physical traits are already determining combat ability. I'm also not sure how this would fit in with auto-evo, from what I understand it seems like a simplified auto-evo, with behaviours... However, I've not heard of the game you mentioned, so this may resolve itself better in actual gameplay.
I think a version of this could work quite well for AI/behaviour auto-evo.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

PostSubject: Re: Evolution using a trait-based system   Evolution using a trait-based system EmptyTue May 01, 2012 9:06 pm

Read up on our Evolution Procedure
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Evolution using a trait-based system   Evolution using a trait-based system Empty

Back to top Go down

Evolution using a trait-based system
Page 1 of 1