Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
New Posts
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
by NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
by crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
by tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
by NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
by NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
by crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
by The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
by crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
by MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
by tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
by tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
by Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Translator to Serbian here
by Simeartherist Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:36 am

» Presentation
by Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
by crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
by Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
by Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
by Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
by TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm


Share | 
 

 A cool idea of mine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Theslimy
Newcomer


Posts : 31
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-10-26

PostSubject: A cool idea of mine   Mon May 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Hello! another idea! want to hear it? no? OK ill tell it to you anyway!

If you built a creature like a lizard that could detach its own tail! and it writhes around on the floor and distracts the predator! after a while the tail regenerates.

leave me a reply if you like it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theusfilipe
Newcomer


Posts : 48
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2012-05-02
Location : Brazil, Rio

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Mon May 07, 2012 7:14 pm

I think it's a nice idea. Sea-Stars, octupuses and other organisms do have regeneration, cells too. I don't think it is too complicated to add early.

Ps: I think this topic is on the wrong place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead


Posts : 1034
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2010-11-26
Age : 24
Location : Earth, the solar system, the milky way...

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Mon May 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Probably.
I dont' know how we could code it, but regeneration is a definite advantage, evolutionarily speaking.

_________________
Environmental, Chemical and Linguistic Specialist.
If you speak or write any language that isn't English, we want you.
Now accepting biome donations here.

Please note that there is no currently scheduled time for panic.

Not actually ascended to another plane of existence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Tue May 08, 2012 5:48 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
Probably.
I dont' know how we could code it, but regeneration is a definite advantage, evolutionarily speaking.
It is, but regrowing takes up a lot of energy.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theslimy
Newcomer


Posts : 31
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-10-26

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Tue May 08, 2012 6:41 pm

That is why lizards eat a lot, right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Tue May 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Theslimy wrote:
That is why lizards eat a lot, right?
No, actually, lizards, being ectoderms require relatively little food since their metabolism is environment-dependent.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MeowMan1
Regular


Posts : 255
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2012-03-04
Age : 17
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Wed May 09, 2012 5:54 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Theslimy wrote:
That is why lizards eat a lot, right?
No, actually, lizards, being ectoderms require relatively little food since their metabolism is environment-dependent.
WHOA. very good answer sciocont, lol I'm one to judge good answers....Here You know what, I might be able to find some programmers and coders, I have My ways,: #1 the internet #2 My family....YUP!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theusfilipe
Newcomer


Posts : 48
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2012-05-02
Location : Brazil, Rio

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Wed May 09, 2012 8:00 pm

So. hum... regeneration should take a certain amount of energy.
So it would disturb evolution process or it would give the creature or cell hunger?
How would that be added? I don't think it is considered a organ matter but a cell characteristic. Each cell or certain cells of the supposed reptile can regenarete.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theslimy
Newcomer


Posts : 31
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-10-26

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Wed May 09, 2012 8:12 pm

I have no idea.. I'm not a Giant-brained person. especially when it comes to Really big science that I haven't learned in school yet. But! energy comes from other places, not just food. in the plant's case, most energy comes from sunlight. (i think)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theusfilipe
Newcomer


Posts : 48
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2012-05-02
Location : Brazil, Rio

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Wed May 09, 2012 8:32 pm

Energy comes from sugar (don't know the translation again) so yes... now that I think of it it would make sense for the creature have more hunger...

Plants produce their food, thus their energy.
I actualy made that question because I don't remember where I saw in the forum that evolution would require energy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Wed May 09, 2012 10:33 pm

Since an amputation affects the individual, regrowth makes them require more food.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kraeken
Newcomer


Posts : 18
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2012-04-27

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Thu May 10, 2012 1:35 am

This may belong in organ design or somewhere else but I'll post here just for the Belgium of it. Regeneration is the ability of an organism to replace lost or damaged parts. Regeneration in creatures with specialized cells and tissues goes in a few steps: immediately after the wound the cells left form something of a wall, swelling to prevent escape or entry. They then "dedifferentiate" forming an equivelant of stem cells which then divide and grow until they take up the space where the tissue used to exist and then redifferentiate back into the (more or less) specialized organs. Not all creatures can regenerate this way and it's highly energy expensive to do all that. Newts are a model organism for regeneration, they can grow back even their tiny little hearts and spinal cords. Most organisms just don't have this though. For most, an injury that severe is too much and they die immediately (hard to evolve to survive decapitation, being torn in half, etc) like many flatworms which have X number of cells which never divide, despite being mega simple. The opposite is true in complex organisms where it's just infeasible to carry the genetic information for every type of cell, in every cell. Hence the use of generic scar tissue for filling up wounds in humans. Point is, regeneration is expensive in terms of evolution and use but could pry just be handled in the OE as a property of all cells in the organism, or as specialized organs rebuilding the others. Both could be used.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theslimy
Newcomer


Posts : 31
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-10-26

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Thu May 10, 2012 4:46 pm

Kraeken wrote:
This may belong in organ design or somewhere else but I'll post here just for the Belgium of it. Regeneration is the ability of an organism to replace lost or damaged parts. Regeneration in creatures with specialized cells and tissues goes in a few steps: immediately after the wound the cells left form something of a wall, swelling to prevent escape or entry. They then "dedifferentiate" forming an equivelant of stem cells which then divide and grow until they take up the space where the tissue used to exist and then redifferentiate back into the (more or less) specialized organs. Not all creatures can regenerate this way and it's highly energy expensive to do all that. Newts are a model organism for regeneration, they can grow back even their tiny little hearts and spinal cords. Most organisms just don't have this though. For most, an injury that severe is too much and they die immediately (hard to evolve to survive decapitation, being torn in half, etc) like many flatworms which have X number of cells which never divide, despite being mega simple. The opposite is true in complex organisms where it's just infeasible to carry the genetic information for every type of cell, in every cell. Hence the use of generic scar tissue for filling up wounds in humans. Point is, regeneration is expensive in terms of evolution and use but could pry just be handled in the OE as a property of all cells in the organism, or as specialized organs rebuilding the others. Both could be used.

Wow! thanks for all the info! I never knew that a newt could regenerate such important parts!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead


Posts : 1034
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2010-11-26
Age : 24
Location : Earth, the solar system, the milky way...

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Thu May 10, 2012 6:33 pm

~sciocont wrote:
Since an amputation affects the individual, regrowth makes them require more food.

In the case of regrowth, we need creatures or parts that are also not too neurologically complex - for example, a Starfish can regrow from any part of it's central neural ring, but many tail-detatching lizards cannot regrow legs. And we need things without hyperactive metabolisms, like birds and mammals.

Edit: Excellent infodump, Kraeken.

_________________
Environmental, Chemical and Linguistic Specialist.
If you speak or write any language that isn't English, we want you.
Now accepting biome donations here.

Please note that there is no currently scheduled time for panic.

Not actually ascended to another plane of existence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Thu May 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
Since an amputation affects the individual, regrowth makes them require more food.

In the case of regrowth, we need creatures or parts that are also not too neurologically complex - for example, a Starfish can regrow from any part of it's central neural ring, but many tail-detatching lizards cannot regrow legs. And we need things without hyperactive metabolisms, like birds and mammals.

Edit: Excellent infodump, Kraeken.
We needn't necessarily limit by metabolism. And well done, Kraeken. The only flaw there was that animals do carry all of the genetic information for every cell in their body in each individual cell, with a few exceptions such as gonadal cells and red blood cells.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead


Posts : 1034
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2010-11-26
Age : 24
Location : Earth, the solar system, the milky way...

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Fri May 11, 2012 3:14 pm

~sciocont wrote:
We needn't necessarily limit by metabolism. And well done, Kraeken. The only flaw there was that animals do carry all of the genetic information for every cell in their body in each individual cell, with a few exceptions such as gonadal cells and red blood cells.

You're right: neural complexity is probably more important.

_________________
Environmental, Chemical and Linguistic Specialist.
If you speak or write any language that isn't English, we want you.
Now accepting biome donations here.

Please note that there is no currently scheduled time for panic.

Not actually ascended to another plane of existence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MeowMan1
Regular


Posts : 255
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2012-03-04
Age : 17
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Sun May 13, 2012 11:58 am

Mysterious_Calligrapher wrote:
~sciocont wrote:
We needn't necessarily limit by metabolism. And well done, Kraeken. The only flaw there was that animals do carry all of the genetic information for every cell in their body in each individual cell, with a few exceptions such as gonadal cells and red blood cells.

You're right: neural complexity is probably more important.
.
I don't have that knowledge, just wanted to say as far as I can come up with that is very true. You do mean relating to the nervous sysytem by neural, correct?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead


Posts : 1034
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2010-11-26
Age : 24
Location : Earth, the solar system, the milky way...

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Sun May 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Yup.

_________________
Environmental, Chemical and Linguistic Specialist.
If you speak or write any language that isn't English, we want you.
Now accepting biome donations here.

Please note that there is no currently scheduled time for panic.

Not actually ascended to another plane of existence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MeowMan1
Regular


Posts : 255
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2012-03-04
Age : 17
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Sun May 13, 2012 1:16 pm

Would You say that a nervous system is more important than eyes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead


Posts : 3406
Reputation : 138
Join date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Sun May 13, 2012 3:04 pm

MeowMan1 wrote:
Would You say that a nervous system is more important than eyes?
Of course. Eyes are an extension of an already existing nervous system. Eyes pick up a certain type of signal, but the nervous system deals with almost every signal that the body can handle.

_________________
Remember our goals: simplicity, science, and playability. Keep them in mind always.
[OE]|[FAQ]|[Wiki]|[My Blog]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MeowMan1
Regular


Posts : 255
Reputation : -7
Join date : 2012-03-04
Age : 17
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Sun May 13, 2012 4:10 pm

~sciocont wrote:
MeowMan1 wrote:
Would You say that a nervous system is more important than eyes?
Of course. Eyes are an extension of an already existing nervous system. Eyes pick up a certain type of signal, but the nervous system deals with almost every signal that the body can handle.
mm hmm, just wondering if You already knew that, I looked it up a few days ago before My computer got all wierd.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: A cool idea of mine   Today at 2:39 pm

Back to top Go down
 
A cool idea of mine
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Thrive Game Development :: Development :: Get Involved-
Jump to: