Thrive Game Development
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrive Game Development

Development of the evolution game Thrive.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome new and returning members!
If you're new, read around a bit before you post: the odds are we've already covered your suggestion.
If you want to join the development team, sign up and tell us why.
ADMIN is pleased to note that this marquee has finally been updated.
ADMIN reminds you that the Devblog is REQUIRED reading.
Currently: The Microbe Stage GUI is under heavy development
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Quick Links
Website
/r/thrive
GitHub
FAQs
Wiki
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 1675 registered users
The newest registered user is dejo123

Our users have posted a total of 30851 messages in 1411 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 443 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm
Latest topics
» THIS FORUM IS NOW OBSOLETE
Body expressions Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:26 pm

» To all the people who come here looking for thrive.
Body expressions Emptyby NickTheNick Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

» Build Error Code::Blocks / CMake
Body expressions Emptyby crovea Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 pm

» Hello! I can translate in japanese
Body expressions Emptyby tjwhale Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

» On Leave (Offline thread)
Body expressions Emptyby NickTheNick Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 am

» Devblog #14: A Brave New Forum
Body expressions Emptyby NickTheNick Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 am

» Application for Programmer
Body expressions Emptyby crovea Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am

» Re-Reapplication
Body expressions Emptyby The Creator Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:57 pm

» Application (programming)
Body expressions Emptyby crovea Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

» Achieving Sapience
Body expressions Emptyby MitochondriaBox Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 pm

» Microbe Stage GDD
Body expressions Emptyby tjwhale Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm

» Application for Programmer/ Theorist
Body expressions Emptyby tjwhale Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

» Application for a 3D Modeler.
Body expressions Emptyby Kaiju4u Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

» Presentation
Body expressions Emptyby Othithu Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

» Application of Sorts
Body expressions Emptyby crovea Sun May 31, 2015 5:06 pm

» want to contribute
Body expressions Emptyby Renzope Sun May 31, 2015 12:58 pm

» Music List Thread (Post New Themes Here)
Body expressions Emptyby Oliveriver Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

» Application: English-Spanish translator
Body expressions Emptyby Renzope Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

» Want to be promoter or project manager
Body expressions Emptyby TheBudderBros Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

» A new round of Forum Revamps!
Body expressions Emptyby Oliveriver Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 am

Body expressions

Go down 
+3
~sciocont
The Uteen
Theslimy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Theslimy
Newcomer
Theslimy

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptyTue May 29, 2012 12:25 pm

I hope this hasn't already been discussed. but have you thought about it? like when an organism gets annoyed, it might raise its crest or stand up on two legs and try to look mean. or what if it is scared or happy? it might get hyper or perk its ears or when it is scared it will tuck its tail between its legs like a canine.

just let me know if you like it or if it has already been discussed.
Back to top Go down
The Uteen
Sandbox Team Lead
The Uteen

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptyTue May 29, 2012 1:01 pm

Theslimy wrote:
I hope this hasn't already been discussed. but have you thought about it? like when an organism gets annoyed, it might raise its crest or stand up on two legs and try to look mean. or what if it is scared or happy? it might get hyper or perk its ears or when it is scared it will tuck its tail between its legs like a canine.

just let me know if you like it or if it has already been discussed.

This is assumably going to be covered by the Behaviour Editor, although the Behaviour Editor itself has never been discussion in much detail, but assumably we'll have to soon, with AI assumably on its way. Either way, assumably things like body language will be included, in some way or another.

'Assumably'. Good word. Should be used more.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptyTue May 29, 2012 4:40 pm

We'll have time to figure a lot of the procedures out later.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptyTue May 29, 2012 5:25 pm

Oh dear, anims. Roadkill will just love us.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptyWed May 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Sorry if this is for in the wrong topic, I don't really know, but anyways here it is: What about how an animal chews, waves it's tail, walks depending on it's structure, how it moves it's mouth or calls for a mate?
Cuz if we want a good example of those, use the spore beta as a thing to look to when stumped, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoZUV-bkCjY&feature=related
just to base our work off of, ofcourse we probably will make it a little more realistic, yet notice how the Willosaur's movements, especially when it chews it's prey. or attcks it's prey, it still moves VERY life like.
These things can really make Thrive more interesting, trust me.
Back to top Go down
penumbra espinosa
Learner

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptyWed May 30, 2012 8:55 pm

MeowMan1 wrote:
Sorry if this is for in the wrong topic, I don't really know, but anyways here it is: What about how an animal chews, waves it's tail, walks depending on it's structure, how it moves it's mouth or calls for a mate?
Cuz if we want a good example of those, use the spore beta as a thing to look to when stumped, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoZUV-bkCjY&feature=related
just to base our work off of, ofcourse we probably will make it a little more realistic, yet notice how the Willosaur's movements, especially when it chews it's prey. or attcks it's prey, it still moves VERY life like.
These things can really make Thrive more interesting, trust me.

QTF, the original engine was programmed to make a realistic approach in the creature's locomotion and movements, for example while the Splodey (the tick-spider thing) would have killed using its sickle like claws, the Willosaur used its tail as a blunt weapon, using its grasper for punching, but the animation was more like that of a whip. the Hopper instead used its little hands to grasp the herbs they grazed.

as the Willosaur didnt had front graspers, he had to eat using the head, the tail was more used to grab the prey and take it to another place.

as for locomotion the Splodey showd the typical six legged gait, the Hopper was a monopod so it had to jump in order to move from one place to another. the Willosaur instead had a sinchronized movement, where he had to move the fron leg and then the back ones (he was a Tripod).
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptyWed May 30, 2012 10:27 pm

We'll be using procedural animation like spore, but it's a bit too in-depth to go into here.
Back to top Go down
penumbra espinosa
Learner

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptyThu May 31, 2012 12:34 pm

~sciocont wrote:
We'll be using procedural animation like spore, but it's a bit too in-depth to go into here.

it is -____- i have been trying to understand how it works but my programming knowledge is too arcaic yet..
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptyThu May 31, 2012 1:15 pm

penumbra espinosa wrote:
~sciocont wrote:

it is -____- i have been trying to understand how it works but my programming knowledge is too arcaic yet..
My programming knowlege consists of "you stick ones and zeroes in it." Yeah, I vote defer the procetural animation discussion until we're actually ready to do more than chase Keen's circles across the screeen.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptyThu May 31, 2012 4:13 pm

ok, that makes sense. So what should we talk about for now?
P.S. Can We reveiw the video when we DO start procedural animatin?
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptyThu May 31, 2012 4:58 pm

there's really no reason to copy spore- when we start animating, we'll be looking at real animals to see how closely we can replicate their movement.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 12:41 pm

I didn't mean to copy Spore, I meant to look at it just as an example of how we might do the procedural animations, ofcourse looking real animals though is a better idea though, because they're real.
When we do start though, should a few of us just post different videos of animals moving, on a new procedural animations topic or what?
sorry if we shouldn't be talking about this right now, 'cause I don't know whether we should or not.
Back to top Go down
Commander Keen
Industrial Team Lead
Commander Keen

Location : Czech Republic (not that anyone would know where it is...)

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 4:45 pm

The Spore video won't be any help - we will need to make inverse kinematics and when we have that we can already look at real animals to mimic them.

What will be an important resource is Chris Hecker's blog - he worked on Spore and published some great resources about his contributions.
Back to top Go down
~sciocont
Overall Team Lead
~sciocont

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 5:25 pm

Commander Keen wrote:
The Spore video won't be any help - we will need to make inverse kinematics and when we have that we can already look at real animals to mimic them.

What will be an important resource is Chris Hecker's blog - he worked on Spore and published some great resources about his contributions.
Indeed, I've read lots of his material, and some of the early demos (like the herding demo) are very cool.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 11:37 am

I am afraid, You do not understand what I have said in My last Post, Commander Keen. Allow me to explain this: I meant videos of REAL animals moving.
So, what do You think now?
"Laughs Mockingly."
Back to top Go down
Mysterious_Calligrapher
Biome Team Lead
Mysterious_Calligrapher

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 8:32 am

MeowMan1 wrote:
I am afraid, You do not understand what I have said in My last Post, Commander Keen. Allow me to explain this: I meant videos of REAL animals moving.
So, what do You think now?
"Laughs Mockingly."

I think, start watching Discovery Channel and Animal Planet. (Or whatever they're called where everyone's from...) No need to spam us with kitten videos just yet.
Back to top Go down
MeowMan1
Regular
MeowMan1

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 10:06 am

lol kittens are very cute, but I doubt I'll ever make a mean ferocious kitty in Thrive, not maybe but again I doubt such thing.
could I upload them to Youtube, so that I could post the really good video examples on here?
Please, give thou's opinions. I like midevil words....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Body expressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Body expressions   Body expressions Empty

Back to top Go down

Body expressions
Page 1 of 1